What shall a christian woman wear?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
His righteousness will teach us to dress modestly.
We are not to dress provocative, men or women.
By all means be comfortable but not like a hooker with bare coverings.
By the same token don't gob on makeup and look that way either. Jezebel was eaten by the dogs Kings 9:33-37.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
As for me, I think you can dress in whatever you like. Besides, who are we to judge someone for what they are wearing.
1 Timothy 2:9-10 "Paul said: I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God."

1 Peter 3:2-5 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.

Deutoronomy 22:5 "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

Proverbs 11:22 "Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion."

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
1 Timothy 2:9-10 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; (Read More...)

1 Timothy 2:9 - In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1 Peter 3:4 - But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

1 Peter 3:3 - Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Deuteronomy 22:5 - The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Peter 3:1-22 - Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; (Read More...)

Leviticus 19:28 - Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Romans 12:1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Romans 12:2 - And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Proverbs 31:17-22 - She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. (Read More...)

Galatians 5:16 - This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

1 Timothy 2:10 - But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Matthew 5:28 - But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Romans 14:21 - It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Romans 12:9 - Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Proverbs 7:10 - And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

Isaiah 3:16-26 - Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: (Read More...)

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Men are sexually aroused by what they see. Worldly women dress in ways that seem to target this male characteristic, at least in the Western world.

Christians should not be conformed to the world. Christian women should be an example to the world and dress in clothes that conceal rather than reveal. Women can dress attractively without being suggestive.

For those women who think that men can just switch off their sex drive, it's not that easy. It's as natural as hunger and thirst. However, Satan has contaminated natural desires and caused lust to infect what God intends for good. Ladies, do us a favour. No cleavage, wear something over tights, yoga pants are for the all female gym and please be careful what you wear to the beach.

Men are sexually aroused by what they see. Men are aroused when they wake up, they don't have to see anything.
I agree Christian women should exercise some decency and modesty in attire, not conforming to the world.
But if we leave all the responsiblity to women not to arouse men, we end up with something like this:

S

SophieT

Men are sexually aroused by what they see. Worldly women dress in ways that seem to target this male characteristic, at least in the Western world.

Christians should not be conformed to the world. Christian women should be an example to the world and dress in clothes that conceal rather than reveal. Women can dress attractively without being suggestive.

For those women who think that men can just switch off their sex drive, it's not that easy. It's as natural as hunger and thirst. However, Satan has contaminated natural desires and caused lust to infect what God intends for good. Ladies, do us a favour. No cleavage, wear something over tights, yoga pants are for the all female gym and please be careful what you wear to the beach.

that's a 2 way street. women are not blind

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Lighten up...:p

PS: A bit of common sense goes a long way (on clothing)!
what we are discussing here is not fleshly common sense, but what God thinks of clothing. It is a discussion of how God within us affects what we do in the world we are in when our true home is with God.

As soon as Adam and Eve fell, they wanted clothing, not before. Why? The first clothing was a prophecy of Christ, as God shed blood to cloth them. There is deep spiritual meaning in this, as well as telling of what was done in the flesh. How do you think this relates to women choosing the clothing they wear today?
There are times to just think lightly, and times to think deeply. This is a time to think deeply.

Katia

Aug 29, 2021
PDX
Good evening brothers and sisters! My question is about christian women’s clothes.

So, what do you say about the way some women dress up? Does God condemn a woman that wear clevage / tight or short dresses? If yes or no, why? What should a christian woman wear?

What should you recommend or say to a woman that wears tight jeans/ short dresses / clevage?
I think the Hutterite way is most correct. Long loose dresses and head covering. Not to demand anything from women. Let each one choose.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I think the Hutterite way is most correct. Long loose dresses and head covering. Not to demand anything from women. Let each one choose.
Fashion, for us who aren't hutterites, decides what message our clothing gives the world. We don't need long loose dresses to tell the world we love the Lord and live for Him, but some of our fashions give the message that we are sexy as the world defines sexy. God defines it as "the two become one".

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
dress like a bank robber?

Really I think christian women can do better. Whatever happens to the 'garments of praise' we are meant to wear.

If men think this is a problem, well I dont see any shops offering christian womens clothings in the malls...or church fashion collections. most women just buy whats avilable to them in the shops and if theres nothing they will wear nothing.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I do recall a shop that was called Just Jeans. All they sold was...Jeans.
If you didnt like wearing jeans you were out of luck.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Men are sexually aroused by what they see. Men are aroused when they wake up, they don't have to see anything.
I agree Christian women should exercise some decency and modesty in attire, not conforming to the world.
But if we leave all the responsiblity to women not to arouse men, we end up with something like this:

I agree on both counts, but as a man, I know that immodest dressing sure does not help. And as a Christian man, it offends me to see immodestly dressed women. Women complained for years that they were treated like sex objects. Fast forward and it seems that they want to be treated that way. No one forces a woman to wear outfits that are revealing and sensuous.

God made us sexual beings. The antidote to lust is marriage. But if women don't want to attract the wrong kind of guy, they should dress appropriately. Islam goes way over the top. I have a female friend who dresses appropriately and she is attractive in the right way. She's a widow and is not interested in marrying again. I'm at the head of the queue when/if she changes her mind!

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
dress like a bank robber?

Really I think christian women can do better. Whatever happens to the 'garments of praise' we are meant to wear.

If men think this is a problem, well I dont see any shops offering christian womens clothings in the malls...or church fashion collections. most women just buy whats avilable to them in the shops and if theres nothing they will wear nothing.
It is possible to buy modest clothes. I detest Islam, but there is quite a good range of clothing offered to Muslim women and some is feminine and attractive. Maybe there should be Christian clothing lines.

I taught in a Bible class for a while. It is most distracting when looking at a woman with a low cut top. My female friend and co-worker is alert to this and would have a quiet word to the person concerned. It's not that difficult. No one spat the dummy and said that they would not comply. And it is a biblical principle.