What Should Happen On a First Date?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That's not a chick flick.

THIS is a chick flick:

Funniest joke you made this month (so far) but I wonder how many people got it.

(Hint: That's not a knife.)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
"I've really enjoyed our time together, but I have to go, and I know you have to get back to your lovely cats. So, I was thinking... I have two movie passes that are going to expire soon, which would be a shame. I've been wanting to see (pick any chick flick or, better yet, an inspiring spiritual movie). I certainly don't want to go alone. Would you like to go with me this coming Saturday?"
Because nothing screams "You must date this classy guy!!!" like one who offers to take you out on a movie date to use up soon-to-expire coupons LOL

To make sure she is fully aware that you are willing to spare no expense, you could promise to buy her a coffee and donut again as well!

May 13, 2024
Because nothing screams "You must date this classy guy!!!" like one who offers to take you out on a movie date to use up soon-to-expire coupons LOL

To make sure she is fully aware that you are willing to spare no expense, you could promise to buy her a coffee and donut again as well!
You mean the coffee and donut you won for free from roll up the rim to win? right? lol

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
I actually agree with a lot of this for those who want to go about dating in the traditional way.
Maybe I'm sort of odd. The relationships I've been in have occurred after getting to know each other at work or online, or in high school (my first relationship was when I was 17). After spending time together and finding we liked each other more than just working together or what-have-you, we'd decide to be in a relationship and then the fun stuff began...going on dates and even more flirting and hand holding and smoochies. I like dates that involve picnicking in the great outdoors or walking trails or interesting museums or aquariums. I just never really got into the whole awkward traditional dating stuff. That's just me personally! Not knocking those who are at all. Like I said, I think this is some good advice for those who prefer to go about it that way, except for the part about picking a chick flick. Not all of us women like chick flicks. Of course, if that's your thing don't let me stop you. Meanwhile, imma sneak over to the action or horror or some other movie :cool:
Carrie, is it possible we are long-lost cousins or something? :LOL: When I read the OP my first thought was "If a man can talk to me for an hour over donuts and coffee and still think my first choice of movie would be some vapid Chick flick, he's probably not the right man for me". And I saw on your profile that you like spiders and true crime and old cemeteries. NOBODY seems to get why I like old cemeteries! lol. So we need to both find men who are weird enough to potentially understand us, then we can take them on a double-date through the woods to picnic at an old cemetery that is covered in spiders. Then finish with a psychological thriller movie based on a true crime story. And if they're still interested by the end of the date (and haven't run away screaming!), they just might be the right men for us! :cool:

@Mr. Epperson: I appreciate what you are trying to do and I like how you were presenting dating and "flirting" as healthy interactions that Christian men and women should not be afraid of. Those of us who came of age during the era of "I kissed Dating Goodbye" often struggle with that, myself included. But most of us here on this forum are still single either because we're content with it, or because we're a bit unconventional and the cookie-cutter scenarios you're presenting just won't work for us; if we identified with the status quo we would have gotten married a long time ago. So I wonder if your perspectives would be better received if you held back a bit and just joined in the discussions with your personal experiences and perspective, rather than coming across like you are enlightening us. Pull up a chair, ask some questions, and really listen to the answers. We all have something to add! :cool: Cheers!

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
Carrie, is it possible we are long-lost cousins or something? :LOL: When I read the OP my first thought was "If a man can talk to me for an hour over donuts and coffee and still think my first choice of movie would be some vapid Chick flick, he's probably not the right man for me". And I saw on your profile that you like spiders and true crime and old cemeteries. NOBODY seems to get why I like old cemeteries! lol. So we need to both find men who are weird enough to potentially understand us, then we can take them on a double-date through the woods to picnic at an old cemetery that is covered in spiders. Then finish with a psychological thriller movie based on a true crime story. And if they're still interested by the end of the date (and haven't run away screaming!), they just might be the right men for us! :cool:
That sounds like an excellent date and the scenery sounds incredible! I'm certainly down for a psychologial thriller based on a true crime story.
Btw, I picnicked at a nearby cemetery on Halloween night. The atmosphere was peaceful. I wasn't on a date though. I think I've ran plenty of men off with my interests lol. Especially when it concerns spiders. I remember one time a guy mentioned me in a forum (on another site that I don't visit anymore) and said, "Do you realize that people find you scary?" :LOL: Just call me Scary Pie!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That would be lovely except for one thing...

Old graveyards ain't scary. I know the guy who defeated death.

Spiders ain't scary. They squish too easy.

But do you know what else is almost always at an old graveyard? Poison ivy! Now that is scary!

CarriePie

Jan 7, 2024
Oklahoma
I wince when I see/hear the word squish when it concerns spiders :eek:

I hate poison ivy. Very annoying stuff. I haven't had it in years, but one never forgets that stuff.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I wince when I see/hear the word squish when it concerns spiders :eek:

I hate poison ivy. Very annoying stuff. I haven't had it in years, but one never forgets that stuff.
I mean... Don't think I go out of my way to squish them. Anything that eats mosquitoes is a friend of mine, as long as it doesn't invade my space.

I like spiders for the same reason I like bats. The enemy of my enemy...

But it's hard to be afraid of them.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018

If Sharon is indeed a true Christ follower, I'm sure she would show a bit of grace in this matter, don't you?

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
If Sharon is indeed a true Christ follower, I'm sure she would show a bit of grace in this matter, don't you?
Personally, I wouldn't mind the "I have some coupons that are about to expire" line, as I've often said my family treats saving money like an Olympic sport: "Oh yeah? I bought this spaghetti sauce on sale, buy-one-get-one free, with a coupon, on a cashback credit card, AND it earned me discount fuel points!"

But I would definitely want to know his story about how he became a coupon-collector and what part it played in his everyday life. :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I just don't think that having coupons expire soon would be seen as an indication of
how interested you are in taking that special someone out on a first/second date...

Of course, if Sharon is already interested in said suitor, he could invite her to watch paint dry or grass grow and she would agree...

Watching a movie together does not really afford much opportunity for getting to know each other, though.

Maybe that's why lunch/dinner dates and/or walks on the beach are so popular. :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Personally, I wouldn't mind the "I have some coupons that are about to expire" line, as I've often said my family treats saving money like an Olympic sport: "Oh yeah? I bought this spaghetti sauce on sale, buy-one-get-one free, with a coupon, on a cashback credit card, AND it earned me discount fuel points!"

But I would definitely want to know his story about how he became a coupon-collector and what part it played in his everyday life. :)
Note to self: Stop talking about the good deals you found at the salvage grocery.

I mean Seoul is a long, long way away from me... But why take a risk?

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
to me, on a 1st date, & the next 3 or 4, it would be more like an inspection, interrogation & discernment meeting. but even before that, totally now-a-days, get as much "pre" information as possible from a pastor, hopefully. by course, always get Jesus on the job. yea, you guessed it, like an application. & guys, don't spend money on her too soon. girls, put into motion, all you're "mother's" intuition, & instinct but with an occasional smile.