What should I do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maricel911
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Maricel911

Guest
I grew up in the Christian faith, and many of our church sermons talked about how we were not allowed to dance. I'm having a really hard time because I love to dance. Since I got baptized in the church I haven't go to dance. My husband on the other had be lives in God but does not go to church, pray, read the bible. All that good stuff.
Well this weekend, my brother in law is throwing a huge party and there will be dancing. He explains to me that it would be OK to dance since it's a family function, and I will be only dancing with him. Lord knows I really want to. But I'm scared too. Many people tell me it's OK others tell me no.

I'm asking for prayers and maybe some little stories from your experience if you've had this problem.


Bless you all who answer.
 
If your dancing is glorifying God go ahead, but if you think its displeasing God. I think you should stop dancing.

Lord bless Maricel911 to know your will and glory in everything, and specially in dancing . Please bless in Jesus name, Amen!.
 
Hey there :)
In our church we don't dance either.
I think it really depends on how you dance though.
Obviously you are not going to do dirty dancing or really cut up the floor...
i think it really depends on how we dance.
And i think while you're dancing you will know what's okay and what not.
You have the holy spirit inside of you who will tell you.

Hope that helps...
 
There is nothing wrong with dancing, as long as you don't do it nastily, like dirty dancing is. :) Nothing in the bible says that we can't dance..
 
Our church can be lively at times, sometimes people get up and dance before the
Lord. Funnily enough it's the older end who tend to do that. There is one lovely
90 year old who "shuffles" before the Lord and a 60 year old who was healed of
bowel cancer.

Our young people (youth groups) occasionally put on dance performances as a way of
worshipping God - they incorporate mime and dance.

Miriam danced (she led it) before the Lord.
David danced with such abandon that his wife was embarrassed. Nothing wrong with
dancing as long as it is done with the right motives, to have a bit of fun, exercise,
entertainment, for God etc.

I think the problem is that a lot of people see dancing as being provocative and
overtly sexy. I think your church in an attempt to prevent this kind of dancing, has
gone too much the other way.

Lord we pray for wisdom for the OP on this matter that you will help her to get the
balance right and bring peace to her on this issue.



2 Samuel 6:12-16 NKJV
[12] Now it was told King David, saying, "The LORD has blessed the house of Obed-Edom and
all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God." So David went and brought up the ark
of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with gladness. [13] And so it was,
when those bearing the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, that he sacrificed oxen and
fatted sheep. [14] Then David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was
wearing a linen ephod. [15] So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the
LORD with shouting and with the sound of the trumpet. [16] Now as the ark of the LORD
came into the City of David, Michal, Saul's daughter, looked through a window and saw
King David leaping and whirling before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.
 
I think dancing is fine as long as it's not club/bar type dancing getting all up in other's space and tempting/flirting with sin....if you wouldn't dance a certain way in front of Jesus then don't dance that way period lol :)
 
Saying dancing is inherently wrong is pure legalism. Sure, it can be done in a wrong manner, but just about anything can be done in a wrong manner. Sounds like you need a new church.
As a teen I went to concerts and s few 'Christian raves'. The raves were often held by the local Christian college. Concerts were sometimes held in churches, where people were dancing. Fun times. Have never felt an ounce of guilt.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dancing is a stress reliever for me. Its also healthy for your body . I will pray for u
 
There is nothing biblically wrong with dancing, especially with your husband. Depending on the type of church or denomination, what the bible instructs is often at odds what the church may teach. The bible must always take precedence over church doctrine and practice.
 
King David danced, Miriam danced and other people danced in the Bible especially to celebrate victory...
 
I'm an African in Africa. Not dancing in church is at best unthinkable in a society where song and dance is an interwoven part of our cultural fabric. But even we have an understanding as to what is acceptable. I once had to correct a youth member who wanted the worship team to dance just for the sake of dancing. Dancing is a part of how we express ourselves to God in worship. Like Ariel82 pointed out David danced which Israel as they celebrated the return of the Ark of the Covenant. If I have to worry about how cool i look as I am dancing, showing off my smooth "boogie" steps then its no longer worship. If I am celebrating the goodness of my God then dancing can help me to express this. (For the record I'm an extremely lousy dancer....if I try too hard you may think about calling an ambulance:rolleyes: ...just saying)

I think that for those who choose not to dance, its still okay, but they will have to deal with dancing in heaven I'm sure.
 
I grew up in the Christian faith, and many of our church sermons talked about how we were not allowed to dance. I'm having a really hard time because I love to dance. Since I got baptized in the church I haven't go to dance. My husband on the other had be lives in God but does not go to church, pray, read the bible. All that good stuff.
Well this weekend, my brother in law is throwing a huge party and there will be dancing. He explains to me that it would be OK to dance since it's a family function, and I will be only dancing with him. Lord knows I really want to. But I'm scared too. Many people tell me it's OK others tell me no.

I'm asking for prayers and maybe some little stories from your experience if you've had this problem.


Bless you all who answer.
Find a new church, Dancing isn't against God. It's some freaky denominational thing that tells me you're in the wrong church. David danced!