What was abolished?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What was abolished?


  • Total voters
    18
WHAT WAS ABOLISHED?

I agree with Dr. William MacDonald:

2:15 A third aspect of Christ's work was abolition of the enmity that smoldered between Jew and Gentile and also between man and God. Paul identifies the law as the innocent cause of the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances. The Law of Moses was a single legislative code; yet it was made up of separate, formal commandments; these in turn consisted of dogmas or decrees covering many, if not most, areas of life. The law itself was holy, just, and good (Rom. 7:12), but man's sinful nature used the law as an occasion for hatred. Because the law actually did set up Israel as God's chosen earthly people, many Jews became arrogant and treated the Gentiles with contempt. The Gentiles struck back with deep hostility, which we have come to know all too well as anti-Semitism. But how did Christ remove the law as the cause of enmity? First, He died to pay the penalty of the law that had been broken. He thus completely satisfied the righteous claims of God. Now the law has nothing more to say to those who are "in Christ"; the penalty has been paid for them in full. Believers are not under law but under grace. However, this does not mean they can live as they please; it means they are now enlawed to Christ, and should live as He pleases.

Believer's Bible Commentary: A Thorough, Yet Easy-to-Read Bible Commentary That Turns Complicated Theology Into Practical Understanding.

☝t<><

Here is why, and it is all about what happened because death on the Cross that paid for all of out sins.

John 10:14-18 (NASB)
[SUP]14 [/SUP] "I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me,
[SUP]15 [/SUP] even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
[SUP]16 [/SUP] "I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.
[SUP]17 [/SUP] "For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again.
[SUP]18 [/SUP] "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."

ONCE MESSIAH came from the unpolluted line of DAVID, it was NO LONGER HIS WILL that the JEWS and GENTILES be separated, and it became HIS WILL that both FOLDS become co-equally ONE FLOCK. That was accomplished by the sin debt being PAID IN FULL and applying to both FOLDS. AND thus the LAW was not abolished, but the bitterness between Jews and Gentiles HAD TO BE ABOLISHED. Even Paul and Peter struggled with abolishing that looking down upon Gentile believers at first, but eventually realized that they were CO-EQUALS IN CHRIST. Sadly, many Christians today want to look down upon Jewish Believers in the Messiah, and are in sin when they do it.

So what happened to the LAW? It as moved from being written in Stone to being written on the Hearts of Believers, whether they be JEWS or GENTILES. The motive for keeping the LAW changed from "I HAVE TO" to "I WANT TO OBEY TO SHOW HIM THAT I LOVE HIM."

John 14:15 (HCSB)
[SUP]15 [/SUP] “If you love Me, you will keep My commands.
 
IT doesn't take a blind man to see that I am no longer welcome here, Yall have fun and God bless you all.


well, if you are really out, good luck and God bless you. been nice chating with you here and there.
 
So im just trying to understand the effect thereof, If the Laws are "rendered inoperative" to the body of Messiah is it counted as a sin if a follower does happen to sin?
Of course. But our "case has already been adjudicated before the Judge." Christ's blood spilled on the cross has paid the penalty for our sin. Our only requirement is to confess, repent, and continue to allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify us -- make us holy, growing us in Christ.
 
Your not reading that right, even if you take out the italicized words."Having abolished in the flesh the enmity, the law of commandments in ordinances. No matter how you slice it, the law was the enmity and the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles.

Uh, how does "Thou shalt not kill." separate Jews form Gentiles?
 
Of course. But our "case has already been adjudicated before the Judge." Christ's blood spilled on the cross has paid the penalty for our sin. Our only requirement is to confess, repent, and continue to allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify us -- make us holy, growing us in Christ.

And do we still sin?
 
Of course. But our "case has already been adjudicated before the Judge." Christ's blood spilled on the cross has paid the penalty for our sin. Our only requirement is to confess, repent, and continue to allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify us -- make us holy, growing us in Christ.

One that completely ignores what I asked... "is it counted as a sin if a follower does happen to sin?"

and two why is this written by our beloved brother Paul?

2 Corinthians 5:10, “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Messiah, that each one may receive his reward according to what he has done in the body, whether righteous or evil.”

1 Corinthians 4:4-5, "For I know nothing by myself; yet by this I am not justified, for He Who judges me is Yahweh! Therefore, judge nothing before the time. Wait until Yahshua comes, Who will bring to light the things hidden in darkness, and will reveal the secret intentions of men's hearts; and then each man will receive praise from Yahweh."

Is this true or a lie?

I go with true.
 
One that completely ignores what I asked... "is it counted as a sin if a follower does happen to sin?"

and two why is this written by our beloved brother Paul?

2 Corinthians 5:10, “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Messiah, that each one may receive his reward according to what he has done in the body, whether righteous or evil.”

1 Corinthians 4:4-5, "For I know nothing by myself; yet by this I am not justified, for He Who judges me is Yahweh! Therefore, judge nothing before the time. Wait until Yahshua comes, Who will bring to light the things hidden in darkness, and will reveal the secret intentions of men's hearts; and then each man will receive praise from Yahweh."

Is this true or a lie?

I go with true.

Aman brother. True.
 
Hmmmm....

Elin's signature

This is what the LORD says:

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast in this: that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"

delcares the LORD.

Elin make it so it doesnt say
DEL CARES

It keeps looking at me like sonething caught between someones teeth lol


 
The law with it commandments and regulations were abolished in the flesh of Christ (Eph 2:15),
thus destroying the wall of hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14)
because the Law caused Jews to view Gentiles as unclean, creating hostility.

In abolishing the wall of hostility which was the law with it commands regulations,
God accomplished two purposes on the cross:
1) by abolishing in his flesh the wall which separated them, he created one new man
of the Jews and Gentiles (2:14,15), and
2) by his sacrificial death, he reconciled that one new man (of Jews and Gentiles) to himself (2:16).

So what was abolished was the hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14), and
the law with its commands and regulations (2:15).
 
Last edited:
Hmmmm....

Elin's signature

This is what the LORD says:

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast in this: that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"

delcares the LORD.

Elin make it so it doesnt say
DEL CARES

It keeps looking at me like sonething caught between someones teeth lol



Sorry guys I replied on the wrong thread, Elin was there (and then she wasnt)

Then again I could be getting little delusional, forgive me lol
 
Hmmmm....

Elin's signature

This is what the LORD says:

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast in this: that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"

delcares the LORD.

Elin make it so it doesnt say
DEL CARES

It keeps looking at me like sonething caught between someones teeth lol
LOL. . .Thanks!
 
The law abolished was the Mosaic law with its commands and regulations (Eph 2:15).


Matthew 5:18 (NKJV)
[SUP]18 [/SUP] For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
 
The law with it commandments and regulations were abolished in the flesh of Christ (Eph 2:15),
thus destroying the wall of hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14)
because the Law caused Jews to view Gentiles as unclean, creating hostility.

In abolishing the wall of hostility which was the law with it commands regulations,
God accomplished two purposes on the cross:
1) by abolishing in his flesh the wall which separated them, he created one new man
of the Jews and Gentiles (2:14,15), and
2) by his sacrificial death, he reconciled that one new man (of Jews and Gentiles) to himself (2:16).

So what was abolished was the hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14), and
the law with its commands and regulations (2:15).

Well then, since the Law is abolished, if someone comes over to your house tonight, breaks in and steals your possessions, has his way with you and kills you on the way out, what would we say? No Law, no sin?
 
Elin said:
The law with it commandments and regulations were abolished in the flesh of Christ (Eph 2:15),
thus destroying the wall of hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14)
because the Law caused Jews to view Gentiles as unclean, creating hostility.

In abolishing the wall of hostility which was the law with it commands and regulations,
God accomplished two purposes on the cross:
1) by abolishing in his flesh the wall which separated them, he created one new man
of the Jews and Gentiles (2:14,15), and
2) by his sacrificial death, he reconciled that one new man (of Jews and Gentiles) to himself (2:16).

So what was abolished was the hostility between Jews and Gentiles (2:14), and
the law with its commands and regulations (2:15).
Well then, since the Law is abolished, if someone comes over to your house tonight, breaks in and steals your possessions, has his way with you and kills you on the way out, what would we say?
No Law, no sin?
If it is an unbeliever, it matters not, he is condemned for his unbelief.

If it is a believer, he sins against Christ's law (Mt 22:37-40; Ro 13:8-10; 1Co 9:20-21).
 
Last edited:
Matthew 5:18 (NKJV)
[SUP]18 [/SUP] For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
The law is fulfilled in Christ.
 
Heres a few that confirm some, as the law did prophesy, having shadow of things to come also

Jesus said,

Mat 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy,but to fulfil.

The law prophesied, he says,

Mat 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earthpass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law,till all be fulfilled.

Even as he also said,

Mat 11:13
For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

Who testified of Jesus Christ and who also said,

John 1:31
And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.

But there were also those things the law and the prophets prophesied of Jesus Christ as well

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

And Jesus Christ is the righteousness of God, as he is made the same unto us, and also

Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.