What was Christ's main mission (work) - When He first came to earth?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
The earth became dark and void [empty] through mismanagement by Satan (see Eze. 28:16) as a reference to the "mountain" or government of God. God the came to earth in order to re-create the earth for a new work with mankind. The same place He imprisoned Satan and his fallen.

I believe evil popped up among a third of God's angels while managing (or mismanaging, if you will). That evil caused the destruction of all life. God then re-created the earth as the account given is Genesis. The He put man in charge of this re-creation (see Gen. 1:28).

Why did God cast Satan and his cohorts to the very place God was establishing a new work with mankind? They are spirits, are they not? God had other planets He could have used like Mars or Venus. They don't need moderate weather and oxygen to breathe. My belief, the dark spirits are merely tools God's is using to give us something to overcome and build Godly character.

The main question in this thread: What did Jesus/Yeshua accomplish on the cross to fulfill His mission? Let's have your thoughts.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hey Mods, can I add "I believe" to the front of the first statement. "the earth became?"in the flesh" to the title? Also, the second sentence should read "God then" not "God the." Thanks.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I ran out of time:

Hey Mods, can I add "in the flesh" to the title?

Also, can I add "I believe" to the front of the first statement. "the earth became?

Also, the third question should read "God then came " not "God the came." Thanks.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi @Deade, these things come to mind, Jesus came to do the will of/glorify the Father, to seek and to save that which was lost, His sheep .. e.g. John 6:38; Luke 19:10; cf Mark 10:45; John 10:9-11.

He came to do for us what we are all incapable of doing for ourselves, 1. to lead a righteous life before His Father (the one that we were supposed to lead) on our behalf and 2. to pay the price/atone for our sins, and to satisfy the Father's wrath against us so that we might have eternal life, both now (from the moment that we first believe), as well in the age to come, of course .. e.g. John 5:24, 10:27-28; Romans 5:8-10; 2 Corinthians 5:21.

~Deut

John 10
10 I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
The main question in this thread: What did Jesus/Yeshua accomplish on the cross to fulfill His mission? Let's have your thoughts.
Hi again Deade, on the Cross Jesus died to 1. save us (His people) from our sins and reconcile us to God .. on this side of the grave (this includes saving us from our old nature/old self and its fallen desire to continue in sin in this life .. cf Ephesians 4:22-24), as well to 2. save us from His Father's wrath in the age to come (so that we can live in His presence, forevermore :)) .. e.g. Matthew 1:21; Romans 5:8-10; 1 John 2:25.

~Deut

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hi again Deade, on the Cross Jesus died to 1. save us (His people) from our sins and reconcile us to God .. on this side of the grave (this includes saving us from our old nature/old self and its fallen desire to continue in sin in this life .. cf Ephesians 4:22-24), as well to 2. save us from His Father's wrath in the age to come (so that we can live in His presence, forevermore :)) .. e.g. Matthew 1:21; Romans 5:8-10; 1 John 2:25.

~Deut
I agree Deut, with everything in both your posts. We still need to define the "main" purpose Christ came, as a man, in the flesh. What caused Satan and his third to head off into evil behavior?

Was it not deciding what was good and what was evil for themselves, instead of what God had defined as such? Is this not the same thing he convinced Adam and Eve of by partaking that forbidden fruit? Was not the fall of mankind a work of the devil?

DB7

Dec 29, 2014
Sorry Deade, I don't mean to be difficult, but your question is either too obvious (i.e. to offer salvation), or somewhat rhetorical (i.e. he accomplished his mission simply by being on the cross and staying there). Meaning, are you asking how redemption was effectuated by Christ dying on the cross? For again, I feel that every fundamentalist is going to answer 'to die for our sins', or that his mission was to be obedient unto death, so just the fact that he went to cross (desiring not to in Gethsemane), means he fulfilled his mission.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Sorry Deade, I don't mean to be difficult, but your question is either too obvious (i.e. to offer salvation), or somewhat rhetorical (i.e. he accomplished his mission simply by being on the cross and staying there). Meaning, are you asking how redemption was effectuated by Christ dying on the cross? For again, I feel that every fundamentalist is going to answer 'to die for our sins', or that his mission was to be obedient unto death, so just the fact that he went to cross (desiring not to in Gethsemane), means he fulfilled his mission.
Everything you are saying is true but they are just the details. I need an overview.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I think before I can presume the prince of Tyre, today's Lebanon, is Satan I'd want to know who was the prince of Tyre between 593–571 BC ? When that the prophecies of Ezekiel were written.
However Ezekiel 28 starts, it eventually deals with Satan in these verses:

Ezekiel 28:13,14 "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire."

Now, put it together: an anointed covering (ruling) cherub that was present in the Garden of Eden. No, not the King of Tyre of the human type. That pins the identity.

Apr 15, 2017
Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Isa 59:12 For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them;
Isa 59:13 In transgressing and lying against the LORD, and departing away from our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood.
Isa 59:16 And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him(the sinless man Christ Jesus whose deity is God); and his righteousness, it sustained him.
Isa 59:17 For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and an helmet of salvation upon his head; and he put on the garments of vengeance for clothing, and was clad with zeal as a cloke.
Isa 59:20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD.

Mat 1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Luk 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
Luk 2:48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
Luk 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
Joh_6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Joh_6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.

Joh 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
Joh 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Mat 11:4 Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:
Mat 11:5 The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

Mat 9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

1Co 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

The only mission of Jesus from birth to death is to connect people to God, and save them giving them everlasting life, and by doing so also caused mankind to take back dominion of the earth which one day Jesus will rule the earth, God in the glorified body of the man Christ Jesus.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
However Ezekiel 28 starts, it eventually deals with Satan in these verses:

Ezekiel 28:13,14 "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire."

Now, put it together: an anointed covering (ruling) cherub that was present in the Garden of Eden. No, not the King of Tyre of the human type. That pins the identity.
I think where the verse becomes confusing as to whether or not this is Satan being referred to is in the description below as part of verse 12. (chapter 28)

...You were in Eden, the garden of God;
every precious stone was your covering,
sardius, topaz, and diamond,
beryl, onyx, and jasper,
sapphire,[b] emerald, and carbuncle;
and crafted in gold were your settings
and your engravings.[c][/quote] This makes the description in Eden appear present tense in Eden. But instead what it is referring to is an adornment before Eden, before the expulsion as described in verse 17.

What's curious in this chapter though is this verse:
11 Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me: 12 “Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord God:
You were the signet of perfection,[a]
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.

While in verse 15 later on we read this:
15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created,
till unrighteousness was found in you.

If this were to be Satan, how would God, his creator, say he was perfect and later say he was blameless in his ways till unrighteousness was found? How does perfect of God become unrighteous?
And if this were Satan, what then would it mean to say he would die the death of the uncircumcised? If Satan is a spirit.

I am not contending against your observations. Rather, I'm taking note of passages in Ezekiel 28 that are curious if the prince of Tyre is either man or Satan. Lucifer, fallen.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The earth became dark and void [empty] through mismanagement by Satan (see Eze. 28:16) as a reference to the "mountain" or government of God. God the came to earth in order to re-create the earth for a new work with mankind. The same place He imprisoned Satan and his fallen.

I believe evil popped up among a third of God's angels while managing (or mismanaging, if you will). That evil caused the destruction of all life. God then re-created the earth as the account given is Genesis. The He put man in charge of this re-creation (see Gen. 1:28).

Why did God cast Satan and his cohorts to the very place God was establishing a new work with mankind? They are spirits, are they not? God had other planets He could have used like Mars or Venus. They don't need moderate weather and oxygen to breathe. My belief, the dark spirits are merely tools God's is using to give us something to overcome and build Godly character.

Christ came to set up the promised kingdom to Israel, but first their sins had to be dealt with, therefore He became the sacrifice for sin. Then the nation of Israel would be the light to the Gentiles. But Israel rejected their Messiah, thus the Lord appointed Paul to preach the gospel of grace to the gentile world.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The main question in this thread: What did Jesus/Yeshua accomplish on the cross to fulfill His mission?
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I think where the verse becomes confusing as to whether or not this is Satan being referred to is in the description below as part of verse 12. (chapter 28)

...You were in Eden, the garden of God;
every precious stone was your covering,
sardius, topaz, and diamond,
beryl, onyx, and jasper,
sapphire,[b] emerald, and carbuncle;
and crafted in gold were your settings
and your engravings.[c]This makes the description in Eden appear present tense in Eden. But instead what it is referring to is an adornment before Eden, before the expulsion as described in verse 17.

What's curious in this chapter though is this verse:
11 Moreover, the word of the Lord came to me: 12 “Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord God:
You were the signet of perfection,[a]
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.

While in verse 15 later on we read this:
15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created,
till unrighteousness was found in you.

If this were to be Satan, how would God, his creator, say he was perfect and later say he was blameless in his ways till unrighteousness was found? How does perfect of God become unrighteous?
And if this were Satan, what then would it mean to say he would die the death of the uncircumcised? If Satan is a spirit.

I am not contending against your observations. Rather, I'm taking note of passages in Ezekiel 28 that are curious if the prince of Tyre is either man or Satan. Lucifer, fallen.
What are you going on about? And if this were Satan, what then would it mean to say he would die the death of the uncircumcised? Give me scripture that states anything about death of the uncircumcised.

Were not all the angels perfect until they sinned, until they rebelled?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Christ came to set up the promised kingdom to Israel, but first their sins had to be dealt with, therefore He became the sacrifice for sin. Then the nation of Israel would be the light to the Gentiles. But Israel rejected their Messiah, thus the Lord appointed Paul to preach the gospel of grace to the gentile world.
Nice, but still just method and details.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)
That could be an overview. But is is the right overview? Is Christ really doing that at this time? Some are getting saved, for sure. Can you tell me what is the hope of the unsaved?

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley

Its writen "He came to deliver those who through fearof death were held their whole lifetime im bondage."

It's writen, "He came to deliver those who through fear of death were held their wholee lige time in bondage."
We are united in Him in His death as living stones in the rebuilding of His temple. The steps ascending to the entrance of His Temple is the Way Jesus made in Himself, for us to follow in His steps: a secret Ladder hidden from understanding, wisdom we see dimly. "Verily, verily I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." This Ladder Jacob saw by night as he slept, "Behold a ladder set on the earth and the top reached heaven, the angels of God ascending and descending on it and behold the Lord stood above it." Humbled and raised up to God in this Ladder, we suffer many ups and downs: immersed in language of God, we to keep watch until we enter into rest in God.

Living for the praise of God is the daily sacrifice of the new covenant:
"Daily pick up your cross and follow me."
"He that shall endure to the end shall be saved."
No longer interpreting daily sacrifice from old covenant perspective, in an earthly temple that pointed to "The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”

As we cease from ourselves on higher steps, much is revealed through Love:
"Many shall be purified and made white and refined but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand."
are changed in the secret ladder ascending in the wisdom of God: a sentence of death to our achievements and Mercy so great we think trials to be over forever, not to take things in our hands again, but the root is hidden as an enemy asleep. "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God, lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble’s you and thereby many defiled.”
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for You are with me.” David who wrote this Psalm, had the rightful place for fear in admiration of God; tending the Father's sheep in the wilderness while living for the praise of God empowered him to confront the lion and the bear and prepared him to face Goliath openly. "Out of the praise of babes and nursing children You have ordained strength, to silence the enemy and accuser." Jesus made reference to this Psalm of David when religious leaders were jealous of the people praising Him as King: "The chief priests and scribes were indignant when they saw the wonders He did and the children shouting in the temple courts, 'Hosanna to the Son of David!' 'Do you hear what these children are saying?' they asked Him, and Jesus said, 'Yea, have you not read: Out of the mouth of babes and nursing children You have perfected praise," He stopped in the middle of the sentence, not mentioning "to silence the enemy and accuser." The time to silence His enemy was not yet. Jesus also stopped in the middle of the sentence reading from Isaiah in the temple. “The Spirit of the Lord Is on Me because He has anointed Me to proclaim good news to the poor, He has sent me to proclaim freedom to the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor,' closing the scroll, He said 'Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” The rest of the sentence, “and the day of vengeance of our God: to comfort all who mourn and appoint those who grieve in Zion to receive beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for despair.

The day of vengeance of our God:
"Listen! In the Day of the Lord! The cry of the mighty will be bitter."
When Jesus said on the cross "It is finished," "God speaks of a New Covenant in His blood, means He made the old obsolete." "He came to deliver those who through fear of death were held their whole lifetime in bondage." When we live in fear we are insecure and think like men in the flesh and desire control: the enemy is given room to cause divisions. "From where come wars among you? Are they not from the lusts of the flesh." Those who desired control nullified their covenant with God. The old covenant could only be nullified by the death of the one who established it. "Had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of Glory." The law exposed our selfish motives to bring us to Christ, so that no man would glory in himself. "Had there been a law that could save us, salvation would have been by the law." Now we are united with Him in the fellowship of His suffering by His Grace to forgive and be forgiven. "The Love of Christ compels us, believing that Christ died for all, our old life is nullified so that we no longer live for ourselves but in Him who died and rose again. "The foolishness of God is Wiser than the wisdom of the wise of this world." Love to the point of folly for His Beloved, that we may be a new creation cleansed in His blood. Therefore from now on we regard no one according to the flesh." "To this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe."

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Some are getting saved, for sure. Can you tell me what is the hope of the unsaved?
Many -- not some -- are getting saved. But today the Gospel is FREELY available to all and the Bible is also FREELY available to all in almost every language. Those who remain unsaved choose to do so. They put their hope on anything other than Christ. But this does not mean that Christians worldwide can sit on their hands and do nothing about this. Since the name Jesus in Hebrew (Yeshua or Yahshua) means GOD IS OUR SALVATION then the salvation of (the gift of eternal life to) sinners was the primary objective of Christ at His first coming.

[Jesus said] I am the Living Bread which came down from Heaven: if any man eat of this Bread, he shall live for ever: and the Bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. (John 6:51)

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
"To this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe."
Do you really believe this last sentence stillness? Is Christ the Savior of all men? Just when and how do you think He will accomplish that?