Whats the line that separates mental illness...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

Ok wow... Let me be more clear. I think that what people (church types) call demons, are mostly their own flesh. In other words they are not willing to accept responsibility for their actions not confess their desires, so they call it demon oppression. I forgot I was talking to churchy types and that means it has to be spelled all the way out, because speaking regular language is not acceptable.

I partly agree with what you're saying. A big fad came through the churches about a decade ago. Everything was a demon. I was in a church like that,the pastors wife saw a demon in everything,had me wondering why. So I do believe there is an element of that. But I also believe there is actual demonic oppression. And there is not doubt there is demonic possession,but the Bible never indicates a Christian can be possessed.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
One doesnt happen without the other. Chemistry doesnt change until theres something to change it.
The chemistry u see is just t bf e symptom of how far the root has gotten

L

Locoponydirtman

Come on bro, that's not a cool or appropriate response. You're the one who misspoke in your first response, own it.
I won't say that this isn't a bit heavy handed. Because it is. I do have a bit of irritation with churchanese speak.
Let me explain.
It's not my hand that desires to ball up and shake itself in anger, not my foot that would that walks through the door of a bar. It's not my skin or muscles or organs that bring weakness to temptation and sin. We say flesh but it's not this corpse. It's flesh appeasing desires in our spirit. This is where the battle between fleshly desire and spiritual desire takes place.
So when I say that mostly demons are just our fallen flesh. It is our own unclean spiritual desire to appease the flesh. Until we are honest and confess it we will never be free of it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Ok wow... Let me be more clear. I think that what people (church types) call demons, are mostly their own flesh. In other words they are not willing to accept responsibility for their actions not confess their desires, so they call it demon oppression. I forgot I was talking to churchy types and that means it has to be spelled all the way out, because speaking regular language is not acceptable.
You are still quite mistaken. While there are some people who label every sin as a *spirit of ____*, which is false, the fact remains that spirit beings called demons are very real and very dangerous. They can and do take possession of people, and they can do all kinds of harmful things.

Dec 28, 2016
I won't say that this isn't a bit heavy handed. Because it is. I do have a bit of irritation with churchanese speak.
Let me explain.
It's not my hand that desires to ball up and shake itself in anger, not my foot that would that walks through the door of a bar. It's not my skin or muscles or organs that bring weakness to temptation and sin. We say flesh but it's not this corpse. It's flesh appeasing desires in our spirit. This is where the battle between fleshly desire and spiritual desire takes place.
So when I say that mostly demons are just our fallen flesh. It is our own unclean spiritual desire to appease the flesh. Until we are honest and confess it we will never be free of it.
I understood what you meant in the post I responded to. I don't think any of us disagree with the struggle of our flesh, but your first comment wasn't clear at all. For the record there are some who believe and teach that the demons and Satan are only ourselves.

L

Locoponydirtman

You are still quite mistaken. While there are some people who label every sin as a *spirit of ____*, which is false, the fact remains that spirit beings called demons are very real and very dangerous. They can and do take possession of people, and they can do all kinds of harmful things.
Thou thinkest too highly of thine self.
Demons hath no time for mere commoners, whilst there remainest dignitaries, governors, majestrates, priest, and Pope's in lofty places, by which the harm can be multiplied. Besides that which is the rightful property of the Lord can not be possessed by the wicked foul foe nor his minion

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
[ImQUOTE="kaylagrl, post: 3847686, member: 207700"]I think there are two words that must be remembered, oppression/possession. There is a difference.[/QUOTE]
I'm well aware of both, but mental illness does not mean demon afflicted anymore than a cold or cancer is a demon. Fallen, broken bodies malfunction due to the sin in our bodies. The brain is physical and can not work right the same way peoples bodies do. Nothing requires a demon for that.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Is he a physician?
Why He's just the best! :)

You can also call Him God, as well!

Can be found in the Kingdom of God!

A "part" of Him can be found in Christ Jesus as well.

The larger "part" is in the Kingdom of God. (where the real "meat and potatoes" are! ;))

NayborBear

I'm not saying that evil spirits don't exist, They most certainly do. However I think that Satanic forces are given far too much credit. Saying mental illness does not exist and people aren't born mentally wrong is like denial of birth defects. The sins of ancestors often become manifest the flesh of their descendants. The effects of incest, alcoholism, sorcery, (drug abuse) as well as the traits for well known mental illnesses are know to be passed from generation to generation. Anyone who has studied these things with the comprehension of an adolescent dosn't need a library full of text books to quantify these things. They are as obvious as the changing of seasons.
Gotta agrees with ya man! The Lord my God, is very "jealous!"

Rather like walking across a razor's edge wearing ice skates, it is!

Love, sure does cover a lot of sin! But, it sure don't cover every sin! :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Why He's just the best! :)

You can also call Him God, as well!

Can be found in the Kingdom of God!

A "part" of Him can be found in Christ Jesus as well.

The larger "part" is in the Kingdom of God. (where the real "meat and potatoes" are! ;))
He is the Great Physician.

Dec 28, 2016
Demons hath no time for mere commoners, whilst there remainest dignitaries, governors, majestrates, priest, and Pope's in lofty places, by which the harm can be multiplied. Besides that which is the rightful property of the Lord can not be possessed by the wicked foul foe nor his minion
These passages were written to and for the "commoners:"

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." -- Ephesians 6:12

And this:

"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." -- 1 Peter 5:8

This:

"Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs." -- 2 Corinthians 2:10-11

And this:

"And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them." -- Mark 4:15

NayborBear

View attachment 194191
He is the Great Physician.
Think, if you will, if you're old enough to remember what an old telephone "switchboard" is like. With all the cables and holes to connect? Then picture hands plugging and unplugging connection after connection. Reconnecting differently, then what was? Then, you would have a "picture of an idea", of Isaiah 28:

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

SWITCHBOARD.GIF

NayborBear

Methinks what old Ben Franklin said applies to both the "physical" realm and the "unseen" realm!

"People who give up liberty and freedom for security?" "Deserve NEITHER!"

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
View attachment 194191

Think, if you will, if you're old enough to remember what an old telephone "switchboard" is like. With all the cables and holes to connect? Then picture hands plugging and unplugging connection after connection. Reconnecting differently, then what was? Then, you would have a "picture of an idea", of Isaiah 28:

10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

View attachment 194193
This is one of my favorite verses from the book of Isaiah.
Isaiah 1:18
"Come now, and let us reason together...".

The verse you provided from Isaiah 28:10 is another favorite of mine and I have used it often in my posts.

L

Locoponydirtman

These passages were written to and for the "commoners:"

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places." -- Ephesians 6:12

And this:

"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." -- 1 Peter 5:8

This:

"Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs." -- 2 Corinthians 2:10-11

And this:

"And these are the ones along the path, where the word is sown: when they hear, Satan immediately comes and takes away the word that is sown in them." -- Mark 4:15
Satan is not omnipresent like God is. Neither are his demons. Their affects and effects is through out the world every where, and there are many of them, but they can only be in one place at a time.
They don't have to directly attack me or you even... Well maybe you, but not me. I struggle with my own struggles against my own weaknesses, and yes the affects of the work of the devil in this world. Satan casts a broad net by directing his attacks against people who have influence in society then their evil has effect. The sexual explicit stuff on TV isn't directed at me it's a broad net to trap many. If you take my meaning.

Dec 28, 2016
Satan is not omnipresent like God is. Neither are his demons. Their affects and effects is through out the world every where, and there are many of them, but they can only be in one place at a time.
They don't have to directly attack me or you even... Well maybe you, but not me. I struggle with my own struggles against my own weaknesses, and yes the affects of the work of the devil in this world. Satan casts a broad net by directing his attacks against people who have influence in society then their evil has effect. The sexual explicit stuff on TV isn't directed at me it's a broad net to trap many. If you take my meaning.
...and not even one Scripture, just you and your thoughts. Hmmmm.

I'll stick with the Scripture for the "commoners."

For the record nothing I've stated suggests Satan is omni-anything.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
" Intellectual wisdom is often clouded by arrogance, as worldly thinking
hinders spiritual insight.
The indwelling Spirit helps the believer understand and apply the Scripture to his daily life (1 Corinthians 2:12).

Attachments

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Just a note from personal experience that really touched me. I have shed tears with the homeless...
this being over two decades ago. Many lives have crossed my path, and many heartfelt stories. Out
of the mouths of men and women I have heard these thoughts put into words...'people think we are
poor or not mentally stable, we look out of place, etc. etc....*but we are at peace, because we are away
the hate of those that think they are so well off, they wallow in their selfishness, and they discuss us.*
The homeless come from every walk of life, sure many are suffering afflictions, but when you meet
some, it can be a profound humbling experience, and I Thank God for them and the experience."
( they know my name, but not my story )
'Praise God'

Attachments