Whats your jam?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I like a little bit of everything. I have noticed that the older I get, the more I enjoy music without lyrics.
What about music with lyrics in a different, incomprehensible language... such as Latin? .:unsure:

Both by Hildegard von Bingen as revisioned by Richard Souther .:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
There is also this @Noel25 .:)

I recommend the whole CD: 9 Songs of Ecstasy by Pilgrimage.

1. .Campus Stella/Field Of Stars
.Through The Seas Of Life
.Pilgrimage
.Land Of Ecstasy
.Rain Or Shine
.Ceremony
.Dark Skies
.Iberia
.Path To The Invisible

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Heh, ya got me beat, as I saw The Moody Blues live in concert only
five times. Stevie Ray Vaughn opened for them one of those times!
they are master song writers playing music for all ages!

Sculpt

Apr 18, 2021
So... Music...

I'm a bit of a music nerd. Like, my friends know to never, ever bring up the topic around me. I can talk for hours about food, computers or chocolate. I can talk for DAYS STRAIGHT about music. Your eyes will glaze over, guaranteed. Do. Not. EVER. Ask me to recommend a song in a certain style or on a certain topic. More than a week later I'll still be saying, "Oh yeah, here's another song I thought of that might fit what you're looking for."

LISTENING: I have everything in my collection. It's all Christian, but it's everything from bluegrass banjo to rap, from black choir to Jamaican, from old quartets to heavy metal. I can guarantee I will be able to find something you like in my collection, as well as something that will get on your last ever-loving nerve.

SINGING: As my signature line says, I sing at church. I also sing at home. And in my car. And at work, at the supermarket, at Walmart... They do give me a microphone at church, although I don't know if they turn the volume way down on my mic. I'm afraid to ask. :p

MAKING:
I make soundtracks for songs I want to sing at church. Every church's piano player always has a very full plate, so it's just easier than asking them to squeeze in learning my song. I use Reaper digital audio workstation (cheerful name, I know... They had a contest and that name won. Very good program though.) I also use a lot of virtual instruments.
Here's a song by Carl Cartee, "Chasing After You."
Here's a soundtrack I made for that song:
https://app.box.com/s/enap94g3rbqrbzpxf389

Give it a chance until the chorus at least.
Very cool! I've never used Reaper before. Do you use it mostly for vocal removal?

I've done that with Audacity (free program) (vocal removal) but results vary and may need some work. Does Reaper have an automated vocal remover that works well?

Do you use Reaper for other things (if manly for vocal removal)? I see it's $60 subscription/year.

I used to use Cakewalk Sonar, but they've discontinued it, and I can't get to work on my current PC. I used to do sound design for plays, and used to make keyboard instrumentals, but I don't sing anymore. I guess you don't sing solos at church, that wouldn't work so well if they turn your mic volume down. lol

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
99 percent Christian music... not that I'm against secular.. some is ok but I prefer meditating with Christian music.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Very cool! I've never used Reaper before. Do you use it mostly for vocal removal?

I've done that with Audacity (free program) (vocal removal) but results vary and may need some work. Does Reaper have an automated vocal remover that works well?

Do you use Reaper for other things (if manly for vocal removal)? I see it's $60 subscription/year.

I used to use Cakewalk Sonar, but they've discontinued it, and I can't get to work on my current PC. I used to do sound design for plays, and used to make keyboard instrumentals, but I don't sing anymore. I guess you don't sing solos at church, that wouldn't work so well if they turn your mic volume down. lol
I do sing solo occasionally, but usually in a group.

Vocal removal only works well if the vocal is equally balanced in both channels and the instruments are all panned a bit right or left. This works with a lot of older recordings because that was how they used to engineer the tracks by default, but few studios engineer tracks like that these days specifically to make vocal removal more difficult. You're supposed to buy the soundtrack instead of just removing the vocals from the song.

I use a digital audio workstation, in this case reaper, specifically for making soundtracks for songs I want to sing at church.

Audacity is my go-to program when I want to play an old record or cassette and record the audio in my computer, to convert the music to digital format.

HopeinHim98

Mar 16, 2023
As my signature line says, I sing at church. I also sing at home. And in my car. And at work, at the supermarket, at Walmart...
Ditto here, I'm the same way. :) I absolutely lOVE to sing. One of my favorite things to do is sit at my keyboard and play and sing my heart out.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
99 percent Christian music... not that I'm against secular.. some is ok but I prefer meditating with Christian music.
I occasionally come up against some argumentative people who ask, "you got something against secular music? What, are you too good for it?"

If I stuck to one or two styles, I would probably listen to the secular music in those styles. But with my range of taste there is so much Christian music alone that I have not explored yet, and from all indications I will never catch up. I just don't have time for secular music.

I mean, have you heard MOC: Jersey Chica? How can secular hip hop compare to Christian hip hop like that?

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
I occasionally come up against some argumentative people who ask, "you got something against secular music? What, are you too good for it?"

If I stuck to one or two styles, I would probably listen to the secular music in those styles. But with my range of taste there is so much Christian music alone that I have not explored yet, and from all indications I will never catch up. I just don't have time for secular music.

I mean, have you heard MOC: Jersey Chica? How can secular hip hop compare to Christian hip hop like that?
Nope, are they on Apple Music? I went through my cd collection (finally) and kept 400 in a couple cd holders and gave the rest away. I have some rare one hit wonder bands when I have time can share... I'm pretty much into most styles other than old time country.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
in heaven, there's going to be new musical notes that were impossible to create down here on earth. plus, there will be colors that weren't known on earth.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018

I guess people have called me unique... I mean why only listen to Christian music when there are some great secular artists? I guess meditating on Jesus and what Jesus means to people is more important to me. I struggle with the weird looks though... well kinda sorta. In the end.. I don't care and will do what I want lol.

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Am into classical music, but tbh, I like all genres except metal and grunge. Excuse my distaste for those that yall are into. No judging, pinky swear. lol. Do you also play any instruments or you a part of the worship team?
I like Bluegrass, Dixieland, Boogie, and Ragtime. I play Banjo, Autoharp, Guitar, Bass, and a VERY little piano, and Mandolin. I was in worship teams for years, but now that it's all gone to soft rock, I don't participate any more.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Nope, are they on Apple Music? I went through my cd collection (finally) and kept 400 in a couple cd holders and gave the rest away. I have some rare one hit wonder bands when I have time can share... I'm pretty much into most styles other than old time country.

The moves are pretty lame, but the song itself is dope. Talking about you don't have to stress when you're a christian. Of course some Christians do, but you don't have to.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
in heaven, there's going to be new musical notes that were impossible to create
down here on earth. plus, there will be colors that weren't known on earth.
The human eye can distinguish about 10 million colours. In reality, however,
there are about 18 decillion colours existence. Don't ask me how many that is
.:unsure::LOL:

Although I just looked it up .:D ~ a decillion is a number equal to 1 followed by
thirty three zeros. Unless you are British: a number equal to 1 followed by 60 zeros.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Ignore my last post. Here's the studio version, which actually sounds a lot better.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
The human eye can distinguish about 10 million colours. In reality, however,
there are about 18 decillion colours existence. Don't ask me how many that is
.:unsure::LOL:

Although I just looked it up .:D ~ a decillion is a number equal to 1 followed by
thirty three zeros. Unless you are British: a number equal to 1 followed by 60 zeros.
that number beats how many seconds old we are!!!!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
that number beats how many seconds old we are!!!!
That's almost as many atoms are there are in the universe!!! .o_O. Which is about ten quadrillion vigintillion
and one-hundred thousand quadrillion vigintillion atoms. That is to say, like 10 000 000 000 000 000 000
000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 atoms
.:ROFL:

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
That's almost as many atoms are there are in the universe!!! .o_O. Which is about ten quadrillion vigintillion
and one-hundred thousand quadrillion vigintillion atoms. That is to say, like 10 000 000 000 000 000 000
000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 atoms
.:ROFL:
you just gave me my 1st laugh of the day! wow! i'd like to hear Jesus say the biggest number he can come up with!