When did the Law expire?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A very big factor in looking at scripture is the "lens" you use to view the scripture.

In the Old Covenant " you had to do or else"..If you do this..then I God will do that.." =
conditional on the person performing

New Covenant =
Jesus has done it for you which empowers you to "do"

Let's take a look at a common scripture with these 2 mindsets.

Jesus said.." If you love Me, you will keep My commandments"

Old Covenant mindset = conditional on the person "doing"..

So they would read it this way.."IF you love Me you will keep My commandments"..
in their mind it's saying.."Keep My commandment and you will prove you love Me."

New Covenant mindset =
it's a description of who you are in Christ.

They would see this "Jesus' love is in me so I keep His commandments
"..it stems out of relationship and it is not conditional but descriptive of the believer.

1 John 4:18-19 (NASB)
[SUP]18 [/SUP] There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

[SUP]19 [/SUP]
We love, because He first loved us.

His love in us compels us to follow Him because we have the love of God poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit. Rom. 5:5. We now live by His life in us and we are led by the Holy Spirit.

Then there is more..lol..there seems to be more sometimes eh?..just what are His commandments anyway?..Be perfect as My Father in heaven is perfect?...can we possibly do that?..of course not..that is Moses 2.0

Ahhh..found His commandments in 1 John 3.

1 John 3:23 (NASB)
[SUP]23 [/SUP] This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.


...the "lens" that we view scriptures greatly affects us. We try to mix the Old Covenant ( before the cross and resurrection ) with the New Covenant and we get a religious mess.

Religious traditions of men, philosophies of men, ..what we were told all our lives in church or in the world etc. ..all influence how we view scripture. Sometimes some of our "sacred cows" can get sacrificed and it's painful.

Colossians 2:8 (NASB)
[SUP]8[/SUP] See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
 
Last edited:
There is a reason that God wrote the commandments in stone. What do we mean when we say "you can write that in stone"?

Without them, where would we be today? Where will we be tomorrow?

Why are we so desperate to find an excuse for not keeping them?

I agree that it seems like this - that it's an excuse to not follow Gods' law. When I read His commandments with the Holy Spirit, I see just how poor I am and all that I lack. And it seems to me this is what's supposed to happen, because if I don't see my lack, I'll never ask for what I need. Without the Spirit showing me my imperfections, pride, self-interest, self-love, self-seeking, areas of blindness, etc., I won't ask for what I need. Rich men don't ask for help. Only poor and desperate men do.
 
The law,given by God, first to Israel after their servitude/slavery because, they can not keep this if they are slave.
Then, Israel become a "kingdom of priest, and a holy nation".
Exodus 19:6
6 | and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.


this mention is for them who keep the law

Then,Jesus came into hearth to save all people who have faith in Him, not only the jews but also the gentles, if they have faith in Him
and so, these people, also called "kingdom of priests, and a holy nation"
1Peter 2:9
9 | But ye are a elect race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for 'God's' own possession, that ye may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

this kind of people is called saint in:
Revelation 14:12
12 | Here is the patience of the saints, they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
and they keep the commandments


Deuteronomy 6:1
1 | Now this is the commandment, the statutes, and the ordinances, which Jehovah your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go over to possess it;
so commandments include law


The law is not expired
Ecclesiastes 3:14
14 | I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor anything taken from it; and God hath done it, that men should fear before him.
 
How long in one go would you say you keep all the commandments?
A year? A month? A week? (A day?) I know that I lie to myself almost every day, who knows how often I lie to others...

Probably not very long at all. Probably never in this flesh body.

If I am to love God with all my strength and all my mind what happens when I am forgetting God is even there? What happens when I am on the phone with my mom? What happens when the kids call and ask for money? What happens when I am trying to figure out what my weird puppy is trying to tell me?

The truth is that I can't love God with all my strength and all my mind all the time. When I do think about it I do know that I love God. And He knows that.

Do you not see that they cannot be kept?
They are there for a reason. TO teach us how to behave ourselves. .... but we are now judged according to Christ's sacrifice, not the law. We have our names written in THE Book. Not the lawbook. :D

If they could be kept then they wouldn't be the schoolmaster that brings us to Christ. They would be the schoolmaster that brings us to our own self will and self righteousness. There would have been no reason for Christs Sacrifice if the commandments could be kept.

Isn't the Lord Jesus Christ Awesome?
 
The law never expired. Its usefulness however came to an end.

It still to this day condemns anyone who does not come to Christ. and is a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ.
 
So in the book of Proverbs of Solomon, the son of David it is written, By me kings reign, and princes decree justice. Prov 8:15. Did Kings reign by the son of David or by the LORD of the heaven above and the earth beneath?

??? Jesus is the son of David, the promised Seed of Abraham. Told of in Genesis 3...not sure what your question is.
 
No doubt John 5:14, John 8:11, where Jesus told 2 people face to face to "go and sin no more" would require a new thread?
 
yes, sin mean lawlessness
1John 3:4
4 | Every one that doeth sin doeth also lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness.

so when Jesus said "sin no more" in:
John 8:11
11 | And she said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said, Neither do I condemn thee: go thy way; from henceforth sin no more.

it means "don't make lawlessness" or "keep the law"

"sin no more"?WHY?
because
Romans 2:12
12 | For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without the law: and as many as have sinned under the law shall be judged by the law;

 
Why I cannot keep the law?
if they are good

Romans 7:12
12 | So that the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and righteous, and good.

people who cannot keep the law, because they don't have the law in him
Hebrews 10:16
16 | This is the covenant that I will make with them After those days, saith the Lord: I will put my laws on their heart, And upon their mind also will I write them; 'then saith he,'


simply they are not God's friend
James 4:4
4 | Ye adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore would be a friend of the world maketh himself an enemy of God.
 
Faith says, "I can't, only you can Lord". That is not something to be healed from nor that you should desire to be healed from.

As I have already said - some things we can not do and have to totally rely on Christ always.
But see - we/mankind has been ruined,damaged,mishandled and broken by satan and his false teachers - and all these we can be healed from by our gracious God and Savior Jesus Christ so that we can then be able to do what God had intended for us in the beginning !!!
I could say much more, but let's take it step by step. What do you think ? what is your opinion on this ? We are not meant to live eternally saying 'I can't' when we have so great a Savior, Healer and Redeemer as Jesus !
 
There is a reason that God wrote the commandments in stone. What do we mean when we say "you can write that in stone"?

Without them, where would we be today? Where will we be tomorrow?

Why are we so desperate to find an excuse for not keeping them?

Because of false teaching. satan also has his spiritual teachers and preachers and they say what people like to hear. On the other hand what GOD says is difficult and hard to do....so the carnal nature looks for a way out, not wanting to submit.
 
I am not at all saying that any one is saved by keeping the 10 Commandments. However, I think if you are saved that you will strive to keep the 10 Commandments because you love Jesus. John 14:15,

"If ye love me, keep my Commandments"

Yes - that is the change taking place from the OT to the NT.
In the OT there was only LAW...and if you didn't keep it you were in deep trouble. Now in the NT Jesus added LOVE and compassion and His Spirit to help us AND heals our infirmities to make us into a new strong man/woman (lol) !!! Now we have Love first, Law second and this helps us to get up and walk again WITH Christ !
We are meant to be Whole,Perfect and Powerful as HE is, conformed to HIS image - not eternally whimpering broken creatures never able to fulfill God's Will.
 
I agree that it seems like this - that it's an excuse to not follow Gods' law. When I read His commandments with the Holy Spirit, I see just how poor I am and all that I lack. And it seems to me this is what's supposed to happen, because if I don't see my lack, I'll never ask for what I need. Without the Spirit showing me my imperfections, pride, self-interest, self-love, self-seeking, areas of blindness, etc., I won't ask for what I need. Rich men don't ask for help. Only poor and desperate men do.

That is very good and also shows our need of the Commandments - they show us our lack.
If you do away with them you can never change for the better yourself, because you totally depend on what Jesus has done.
But we must not confuse the things we can NOT do with the things we COULD do if we were in a fit state. Does God leave us in a broken, useless state ? of course not, that was not what He created us for !
 
That is very good and also shows our need of the Commandments - they show us our lack.
If you do away with them you can never change for the better yourself, because you totally depend on what Jesus has done.
But we must not confuse the things we can NOT do with the things we COULD do if we were in a fit state. Does God leave us in a broken, useless state ? of course not, that was not what He created us for !

I understand what you're saying, but many others won't understand. They will think you are saying we save ourselves and make ourselves better. Be patient with them. :)
 
The Law of Moses expired when Jesus came into the world.
9 'Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second' Hebrews 10:9 ; 6 'Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.' John 14:6 Jesus is the truth that mean He knocks Moses Laws out the way. And gave the Apostles power for the new.
19 'And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.' Matthew 16:19 ; Glory to God.
 
The Law of Moses expired when Jesus came into the world.
9 'Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second' Hebrews 10:9 ; 6 'Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.' John 14:6 Jesus is the truth that mean He knocks Moses Laws out the way. And gave the Apostles power for the new.
19 'And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.' Matthew 16:19 ; Glory to God.

not all
He comes to fulfil,

Matthew 5:17
17 | Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfil.

But what law is fulfiled?
for example:

Hebrews 10:11 - 14
11 | And every priest indeed standeth day by day ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, the which can never take away sins:
12 | but he, when he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13 | henceforth expecting till his enemies be made the footstool of his feet.
14 | For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

because, before Jesus, the jews offered sacrifice everyday
Hebrews 7:27
27 | who needeth not daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for his own sins, and then for the 'sins' of the people: for this he did once for all, when he offered up himself.