When did the Law expire?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I agree with most of what you say i just like to know God's will through His word because the Devil can appear as an angel of light and tell me that it is a good thing to wrong. Jesus was faced with the temptations of the devil and He quoted the old testament.
It is written is our safeguard, feelings and emotions can deceive us.

True,but remember,JESUS was born under law,fulfilled the law,took the power on earth that the devil got from Adam and before he left earth HE graced It back to whomever believes the WORD of GOD.
 
How Is It possible to change GOD's workmanship which Is a spiritual work with the flesh.

I don't want you to think that I'm saying It's okay to sin because Grace abounds,but I'm saying that a person that got saved doesn't want to sin because they have become a new creation,GOD's workmanship created IN CHRIST.

This Is a spiritual work.

The Spirit gives Life,not the flesh.


As a sinner i fall, i obey the flesh instead of the Spirit, my flesh and the spirit fight for supremacy, but praise God there is forgiveness and support.

When the Spirit is controlling me i obey the Spirit
When the flesh is controlling me i obey the flesh.

simple isn't it.
 
As a sinner i fall, i obey the flesh instead of the Spirit, my flesh and the spirit fight for supremacy, but praise God there is forgiveness and support.

When the Spirit is controlling me i obey the Spirit
When the flesh is controlling me i obey the flesh.

simple isn't it.
LOL
Those that have been born of the Spirit of GOD are members of the body of CHRIST and In HIM there Is no darkness.sin has been paid for, the Issue at hand Is now Faith.

Be conscious of your right standing before GOD.
 
Ok. Let's try this.

How do you keep Gods commands.

By following law

Or by spending your day loving others, and seeing God how God wants you to use you in there life?

You can not have it both ways, it has to be a focus on the law. Or a focus on others and God.

Why only one OR the other ??? Why not on ALL ???
Why are you limiting me ? If one walks with Christ one is concerned for everyone !
 
I think that for God any ole bush will do. He is the Vine who does the producing, you are merely a branch, and you will never be more than a branch, so.......be a branch.

Love to be a branch on whom God can grow all His gorgeous fruit on !!! and it's free to all to refresh themselves on !
 
I believe many of the laws given to Israel were a shadow of Christ to point them to the cross, and that when Jesus died they were no longer needed because Jesus fulfilled them.
But what about the 10 commandments they are all practical commandments that we should obey, but many say "except the Sabbath."
The closer we come to the righteousness of God the more our sins are revealed (sanctification), and the same has been my experience with the 10 commandments. what i thought was "not murder", 10 years ago (the literal outward act) has changed. Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; 22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment:

By studying the word of God we come to a better understanding of the righteousness and character that He desires to create in us through faith. Jesus will Justify us today, but He also wants to recreate in us a perfect character.

In your opinion does Genesis 2: 2,3, mean anything regarding how we should live as Christians? Who are the people mentioned Revelation 14:12?
 
Amen...well said...nor is it in the keeping of Old Covenant rules like Sabbath keeping on Saturdays.

To me, the 10 are not old covenant. They are still obeyed inwardly, in spirit and truth.
Old covenant was a different WAY of obeying, that didn't involve the heart. Not that this was really what God wanted. His complaint was always that they refused to give Him their hearts.

I've never heard anyone say that they didn't really even know what the 10 commandments were...I've heard a lot of people encourage outward obedience of them and who didn't understand them in spirit and truth, but only outwardly. But you are the first person I've heard say that they didn't even know what they were. They are spiritual and good.
 
To me, the 10 are not old covenant. They are still obeyed inwardly, in spirit and truth.
Old covenant was a different WAY of obeying, that didn't involve the heart. Not that this was really what God wanted. His complaint was always that they refused to give Him their hearts.

I've never heard anyone say that they didn't really even know what the 10 commandments were...I've heard a lot of people encourage outward obedience of them and who didn't understand them in spirit and truth, but only outwardly. But you are the first person I've heard say that they didn't even know what they were. They are spiritual and good.

On the subject of the spiritual and the 10 commandments.

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you."
Exodus 20:12

This is such a small commandment, that few seem to even notice of remember.
The eternal conflict within us is always the love we have deeply for our parents
set against their humanity and failings. Until one sorts this out our view of God
and love is often off completely.

This is most hard if ones parents have been abusive, and difficult. I have seen
people destroyed in most of their adult life from the teenage rebellion which never
has been resolved. But rarely do people preach on this subject
 
In your opinion does Genesis 2: 2,3, mean anything regarding how we should live as Christians? Who are the people mentioned Revelation 14:12?

The Sabbath was a gift for us at the end of creation. A gift every week from God and people don't realize what they are missing.
I keep it and am blessed by it. A time to set aside everything and spend time with family friends and God.
Rev 14. Is saying that God's saints will be keeping His commandments.
 
What do you think is sinning?

sin means to "miss the mark" To "Go astray or askew"

I think alot of people view sin as an act. or something we do, either in deed or thought (I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs or murder, I do not have sex with women not my wife etc etc.) when in reality, I have learned that any moment where my thoughts are not focused on God, or the people around me, I am in sin, Because at that moment I am focused on self. I have taken my eyes off God, and off the spirit and placed them on self. Nothing I do in that moment will be good, it will all be offensive to God as sin (even if it is doing a morally good deed, it is still sin, because it is self righteousness, not Go righteousness)

when I say the more I grow, the more sinful I think I am, it is because I see how many times I actually take my eyes of God, and put them squarely on self. (when someone cuts me off on the highway and I get mad, When a co-worker does something against me, When I know I need to serve someone, but I have my own worried which are overtaking me..

I am not taling about overt sin or acts, I am talking about a state of mind, a walk, Are we walking in step with the spirit. or are we walking askew, off the mark, in another direction.

remember, I may only be 1 degree off the mark, but the longer I stay in that direction, the farther I get from the mark.
 
EG, I forgot to say, I didn't think you were being mean. I really like talking with you very much. I have never felt you were being mean to me - not even once!

Good, Because I know my tone can get bad, I am trying to calm it down. and sound more loving, But sometimes it gets the best of me, even though I do not mean to be that way..
 
The law condemns us as sinners.
Rom_3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
The Law is good and Holy but is our downfall.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
Rom 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

We are saved by faith alone


Rom_3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

We continue to establish the law


Rom_3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
Rom_6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Rom_6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

We are not saved by the law and we can't earn or work our way to heaven but the law stands as a standard of righteousness.
Jesus obeyed the law perfectly and was righteous, We are the children of God and we are given the righteousness of Christ. Do i continue to sin or do i obey because i love the Lord? As a child of God do i act like a disobedient rebel or do i obey the righteousness that is Good and Holy and loving for everyone.
If you love God you will obey.

Yes, the law is a schoolmaster. to convict us as sinners and direct us to christ.

[SUP]19 [/SUP]What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. [SUP]20 [/SUP]Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

[SUP]21 [/SUP]Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. [SUP]22 [/SUP]But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. [SUP]23 [/SUP]But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. [SUP]24 [/SUP]Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. [SUP]25 [/SUP]But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
 
We already covered this. Yes, it is a parable. No, it is not a parable about salvation. Because we know that salvation is not something that can be won as a prize.

The NT only talks about one prize.....What then is it?

1 Corinthians 9:25 Context
22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. you.'>23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you. 24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

2 Timothy 4:8
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Revelation 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

1 Corinthians 9:25
22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you. 24Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

What else could Paul have been a castaway of? Rewards for works? He's talking about being totally cast away.
 
The Sabbath was a gift for us at the end of creation. A gift every week from God and people don't realize what they are missing.
I keep it and am blessed by it. A time to set aside everything and spend time with family friends and God.
Rev 14. Is saying that God's saints will be keeping His commandments.

I agree. Regardless of people's own opinions the Sabbath was set in the weekly cycle of Creation and is as much a part of it as any other day in the right order - even though people do their worst and move it's GOD-given purpose to the first day of the week.
But when Christ returns He will restore order. Out of His mouth goes a sharp sword with which to correct all nations Rev 19.
 
Why only one OR the other ??? Why not on ALL ???
Why are you limiting me ? If one walks with Christ one is concerned for everyone !

How can it be both

If you are focused on the law. You have to be focused on your actions, How well are you following the law. What can you do to improve your law following, are there any areas you need to change etc etc.

When you are doing this, You are unable to serve others. Love others, and focus on God and others. You are to busy focusing on self.


Thats why Jesus said, Love God, and Love your neighbor, In this are all the law and prophets fulfilled.

We do not fulfill the law by following the law. We do it by loving others ans Christ loved us.
 
Question for FreeNChrist and eternally-gratefull

anyone else can answer too.

Is it possible to be blotted out of the Book of Life?

Psalm 69:27-28, "Add iniquity to their iniquity! Let them not come into Your righteousness! May they be blotted out of The Book of Life, and not be written with the righteous!"

Revelation 3:5, "He who overcomes, the same will be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name from The Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before His malakim."

Exodus 32:31-33, "And Mosheh returned to יהוה and said, “Oh, these people have sinned a great sin, and have made for themselves a mighty one of gold! And now, if You would forgive their sin, but if not, please blot me out of Your book which You have written. And יהוה said to Mosheh, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I blot him out of My book."

You can throw a ton of related scripture at them & they won't turn. They have no intention of doing so.
 
The biblical definition for sinning is -
'the transgression of the law' 1Joh 3v4.

people come up with every other quote they can think of because they have abolished God's Commandments/law. It would not look good for them to quote the truth , so they water it down ! If people stuck to the truth they would not err as much.
 
Everyone is in God's book to begin with. Christ died for the whole world and He took all their sins upon Himself on the cross. Those that reject Christ are blotted out of the book of Life.

The book of Life is really another way of saying that they are either in Christ or not. Jesus said that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. He is the book of Life.

He alone is our salvation. For we have died and
our life is hidden with Christ in God. Col. 3:3
People need to be wary of you for little sentences like this that get sneaked in. They are heretical, & steer the whole thought of your statement.
 
The biblical definition for sinning is -
'the transgression of the law' 1Joh 3v4.

people come up with every other quote they can think of because they have abolished God's Commandments/law. It would not look good for them to quote the truth , so they water it down ! If people stuck to the truth they would not err as much.

1. The greek defenition of the word translated sin means to miss the mark, or to go astray/askew.
2. There was sin in the world before there was law. So if sin is to transgress the law then not even adam sinned. He was innocent, because there was no law
3. Who is abolishing the law. DOes anyone ever listen, The law is not abolished, It has completed its PURPOSE in some people lives, and they move on to better things, But it is NOT ABOLISHED.
 
How can it be both

If you are focused on the law. You have to be focused on your actions, How well are you following the law. What can you do to improve your law following, are there any areas you need to change etc etc.

When you are doing this, You are unable to serve others. Love others, and focus on God and others. You are to busy focusing on self.


Thats why Jesus said, Love God, and Love your neighbor, In this are all the law and prophets fulfilled.

We do not fulfill the law by following the law. We do it by loving others ans Christ loved us.

Why do you feel the need to separate everything ? ALL things work together !!!! we don't have to FOCUS ONLY on one or the other - at least I don't.
The reason I talk about law is because people DENY it so obviously it is more talked about - but it is no more important than any of the other issues that come up for discussion.