When I grow up I'll NEVER...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
You hear it all the time. "When I was a kid my parents ___________ and I made up my mind I'll never be like that when I grew up." What is yours?

Also, did you keep your word? Or did you find out why they were like that? Did it surprise you when you realized you were doing exactly what they did, that you said you would never do?

"I'll never be that stingy when I grow up and have my own money."
"I'll never spank my kids."
"I'll never yell at my kids like mom yells at me."
I'll never butt in on my kid's business like dad does."

Maybe it was something more serious?
"I'll never start drinking like dad does."
"I'll never lie to my kids like mom lied to us."
"I'll be there for my kids, unlike a certain man who is always gone on business trips."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have one, but it's fairly innocuous. My mother is forever losing stuff like keys and purse. I can't remember one time she was able to leave the house without going on a house-wide search for her keys.

I determined that would not happen to me. I have a designated place for all my pocket stuff. If it's not in my pockets, it's in that place. This is absolute. I never have to find my pocket knife, pen, wallet or keys before I leave.

J

joecoten

When I was a kid, I loved The Beatles and other rock n' roll. My dad hated it and said that it sounded like someone was throwing pots and pans down the stairs. I vowed that when I got older, I would never say that about my kids' music. I kept my promise...rap isn't music! Oh brother! :confused:
I actually don't mind some rap.

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
Never eat bacon fried in lard. My mother was so unhealthy makes me cringe still.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Isn't lard super close to rendered bacon fat..... is it possible then to not eat bacon cooked in lard?

Anyway, I had pretty good parents so there weren't too many things I can remember saying I'd never do when I grew up. But a few ways it seems I've started turning into my parents:

Seems like Mom always (and still to this day) had to have a drink with her when she got in the car. One of her daughter's key criteria for new insulated cups is "will this fit in my car's cup holder" because sooner or later I'm going to want to take it in the car with me.

Mom always wanted to have everything cleaned up before leaving on a trip, even a really short trip. I've become more or less the same in that too.

There's probably more but that's all I've got for now.

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
Isn't lard super close to rendered bacon fat..... is it possible then to not eat bacon cooked in lard?

Anyway, I had pretty good parents so there weren't too many things I can remember saying I'd never do when I grew up. But a few ways it seems I've started turning into my parents:

Seems like Mom always (and still to this day) had to have a drink with her when she got in the car. One of her daughter's key criteria for new insulated cups is "will this fit in my car's cup holder" because sooner or later I'm going to want to take it in the car with me.

Mom always wanted to have everything cleaned up before leaving on a trip, even a really short trip. I've become more or less the same in that too.

There's probably more but that's all I've got for now.
True it is pork fat. But bacon does not need any fat added. It was partially burnt and partially like rubber.

Going_Nowhere

Nov 10, 2019
First thing that came to mind was....smoking. Both of my parents were smokers. That's a habit I vowed never to pick up. So I never started.

No offense to people who DO smoke, by the way. :)

Live4Him3

Jesus is Lord
May 19, 2022
You hear it all the time. "When I was a kid my parents ___________ and I made up my mind I'll never be like that when I grew up." What is yours?
...made me eat beets...

:sick:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Never eat bacon fried in lard. My mother was so unhealthy makes me cringe still.
I would encourage you to do a little more research. The mantra that saturated fat is bad for you is rooted in some very bad pseudo-science.

Or, leave the lard-fried bacon to people who know it's good for them. ;)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
To the thread title, as a kid I was disgusted at the constant state of the kitchen. My kitchen is a lot cleaner than my parents' was.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
still waiting to grow up lol
You were a boy like I was once
Were you a boy like me
I grew up around Indiana
You grew up around Galilee

If I ever really do grow up
I wanna grow up to be just like You

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
I would encourage you to do a little more research. The mantra that saturated fat is bad for you is rooted in some very bad pseudo-science.

Or, leave the lard-fried bacon to people who know it's good for them. ;)
Well my mom was very obese and died of a heart attack sadly. So really tried to eat more healthy. But I do enjoy bacon occasionally.

TheNarrowPath

Jul 17, 2022
get married, have a baby, get fat...and then I managed to do all 3 in that order!