When Someone Takes Your Picture as Their Avatar... (Be Careful Out There!)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

amberlynlover7

Hey Everyone,

I know this thread is dead in the water, but I just wanted to give an update.

At the suggestion of a friend, I did a search on the old avatar picture I had up (that was a bit clearer). That picture was from 2018, so I'd used it on and off, and when I did the search, I saw that someone was kind enough to have stolen that picture...

And ironically, was not only using it as their own avatar, but also put up my picture on a review site that was unabashedly slamming this Christian Chat (i.e., several people, many of whom said they had been banned, publicly complaining about the site.)

Apparently, someone wanted to use my image to make it look like I was one of the people who was bashing the site elsewhere on the internet. I don't know if it was someone random who just saw my picture or someone from CC who just didn't like me (either one is completely possible.) I have to wonder if maybe someone had also wanted to try to get me banned as well, and would send the mods my stolen picture on this site as "evidence".

I didn't look around much else after that, because I figure whatever people are going to do, you can't stop them... and I had to tell God it's all in his hands.

And I didn't want to let that stop me from trying to show the person behind the posts... therefore...

I put up another "old" picture (it's from either 2017 or 2018--I'd have to check) showing off my inept photography skills (yes, I blinked as I was taking the picture.)

After all, I figure... If people want to steal a picture, it might as well be a really BAD one! :)

God bless and stay safe out there. <3
I'm actually laughing and reading so many negative reviews that people have given to this website. While they also complained about being banned.

A

amberlynlover7

Hey Everyone,

I know this thread is dead in the water, but I just wanted to give an update.

At the suggestion of a friend, I did a search on the old avatar picture I had up (that was a bit clearer). That picture was from 2018, so I'd used it on and off, and when I did the search, I saw that someone was kind enough to have stolen that picture...

And ironically, was not only using it as their own avatar, but also put up my picture on a review site that was unabashedly slamming this Christian Chat (i.e., several people, many of whom said they had been banned, publicly complaining about the site.)

Apparently, someone wanted to use my image to make it look like I was one of the people who was bashing the site elsewhere on the internet. I don't know if it was someone random who just saw my picture or someone from CC who just didn't like me (either one is completely possible.) I have to wonder if maybe someone had also wanted to try to get me banned as well, and would send the mods my stolen picture on this site as "evidence".

I didn't look around much else after that, because I figure whatever people are going to do, you can't stop them... and I had to tell God it's all in his hands.

And I didn't want to let that stop me from trying to show the person behind the posts... therefore...

I put up another "old" picture (it's from either 2017 or 2018--I'd have to check) showing off my inept photography skills (yes, I blinked as I was taking the picture.)

After all, I figure... If people want to steal a picture, it might as well be a really BAD one! :)

God bless and stay safe out there. <3
People who steal you're photo are obviously jealous and envy you because you have a beautiful feature which they don't have. And they wish they could be you. Take it as a compliment in a good way.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
Stole your pic................. thats creepy.

Nice to see your smiling face again though. :)

Garydavid

Mar 10, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Just to let you know--I had someone contact me via the new instant message system here who complimented me on my picture and then almost immediately put my picture up onto his/her profile as THEIR avatar picture.

I have asked them twice to please change their avatar, and their first response was to accuse me of using a fake picture, and their second is to ignore me when I asked them to change their picture.

Via CC site policy, I won't name a name because I believe that's against the rules.

I am now in the process of getting this mess cleaned up.

It's so discouraging because it would be nice to share pictures here, but obviously, some people will abuse it, so now I'm torn about ever wanting to show pictures here again.

Please, be careful out there!!!

And, if you see any posts that are using the picture I had up, PLEASE, make sure it's really me before being duped into believing someone else's words who is just using my picture.

Be safe out there and God bless!

I probably won't post much until this is taken care of.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Thats spooky! Some people are really strange and take serious liberties. Hey thanks for the warning, that was the right thing to do. God bless.....

Zan

Mar 15, 2019
Hey Everyone,

Just to let you know--I had someone contact me via the new instant message system here who complimented me on my picture and then almost immediately put my picture up onto his/her profile as THEIR avatar picture.

I have asked them twice to please change their avatar, and their first response was to accuse me of using a fake picture, and their second is to ignore me when I asked them to change their picture.

Via CC site policy, I won't name a name because I believe that's against the rules.

I am now in the process of getting this mess cleaned up.

It's so discouraging because it would be nice to share pictures here, but obviously, some people will abuse it, so now I'm torn about ever wanting to show pictures here again.

Please, be careful out there!!!

And, if you see any posts that are using the picture I had up, PLEASE, make sure it's really me before being duped into believing someone else's words who is just using my picture.

Be safe out there and God bless!

I probably won't post much until this is taken care of.
Yes, you should be careful where and what pictures you put out there. We are still in a "wild west" period of the internet, so you can basically expect that anything outrageous that could happen here will eventually.