Where did this word "church" come from?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Check every reference to church in the bible. Where is it of a universal invisible sense?
There are plenty of Scriptures which speak about the Church (all the saints) as the Body, the Bride, and the Building of Christ. Kindly obtain a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and go through every reference to "church" and "churches". There are local churches (assemblies) and then there is "the Church". Matthew 16:18 quoted above confirms this.

Dec 12, 2013
Yes visible, reckoned as invisible made up of many lively stones, the spiritual unseen eternal. And not after the temporal as that seen.

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.2 Corinthians 4:18

We walk by faith the unseen eternal and not by sight after that seen the temporal

1 Peter 2:4-6 King James Version (KJV)To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
Everything after visible is erroneously applied by your view.....the very NATURE of the Lord's churches deem then as VISIBLE assemblies....

ON the earth--->VISIBLE, INDIVIDUAL assemblies

In HEAVEN--->ONE BODY of believers before the LORD

PETER describes what takes place when WE ASSEMBLE visibly........and your Corinthian reference has NOTHING to do with the NATURE of the LORD'S Churches as applied to it's state of being VISIBLE.......

WHEN JESUS gathered his disciples and taught them was it INVISIBLE to those around them?

WHEN Hickory Stick church meets on 5th and Vine streets is it VISIBLE or INVISIBLE to the public.....?

Ekklesia--->LOCAL, VISIBLE, CALLED OUT ASSEMBLY

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
Hello Wattie,

The ekklesia/church, is a specific group which the Lord initiated. Once the Lord appears and gathers the church, that will be the end the church period. In Matt.16:18 the Lord said, "I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it." The words "I will build" are in the future tense, which means that the church did not exist prior to Christ's initiation of it. To be clear, neither Israel, nor the great tribulation saints belong to the church.
The word “will” is not exactly to mean future. The word “will” is not always refer to the time element when. It also refers to determining element what. The Cambridge Learners Dictionary defines the word “will” as what someone or something is willing or able to do. In this case, Jesus will edify his church.

The Anglo-Saxon Gospel written circa 1200 has this and sprouted the English word “church”.
Matthew 16:18 & ich segge þe þæt þu ert petrus. & ofer þisne stan ich ge-tymbrie mine chyrcan. &. helle gate ne magen on-gean þa.

https://www.lcoggt.org/AngloSaxon/matthew.htm#CHAPTER 16

The Greek ekklesia on the other hand has the “ecclesiam” in Latin of late 4 ce. Is perhaps its transliteration of the Greek word.
Mathew 16:18 et ego dico tibi quia tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam et portae inferi non praevalebunt adversum eam

http://www.latinvulgate.com/lv/verse.aspx?t=1&b=1&c=16

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
If I say 'the horse' is that one universal, invisible horse?

You would think it would be the one down the road... or representing all horses plural.

Same with 'the car' 'the bar'

So 'the church'... is like this.

Ecclessia.. a local and visible assembly. And a Christian church is an assembly of saved baptised believers.

One day all believers will be assembled as one in heaven as the heavenly church. Still though.. local and visible
Check every reference to church in the bible. Where is it of a universal invisible sense?
Yep brother, there is no biblical support for the so called universal invisible church. Jesus calls his own "my church" not "the Church"

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
The word “will” is not exactly to mean future.
I beg your pardon, but I did not just throw out that information from the cuff of my sleeve. The word is "οἰκοδομέω" translated as "I will build" which is listed as a verb and is in the future tense.

As I previously stated, the word "οἰκοδομέω" translated as "I will build" is in the future tense, as in "yet to be built" from the time that Jesus stated it. Consequently, the church is still in the process of being built and will continue to do so up until the Lord appears and catches up His bride.

That said, the OT saints are not apart of the church.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
That should be considered collective

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I beg your pardon, but I did not just throw out that information from the cuff of my sleeve. The word is "οἰκοδομέω" translated as "I will build" which is listed as a verb and is in the future tense.

As I previously stated, the word "οἰκοδομέω" translated as "I will build" is in the future tense, as in "yet to be built" from the time that Jesus stated it. Consequently, the church is still in the process of being built and will continue to do so up until the Lord appears and catches up His bride.

That said, the OT saints are not apart of the church.
Now the problem with this is that the church really is to be built yet by Christ but the church has already been existed prior to his statement in Matthew 16:18. I have to agree the OT saints are not a part of the New Testament Church and I have to agree the church is still being built until the rapture.

I still needed to find some time going to greek tense lesson but I found this:

TENSE indicates not only time of action, but more especially kind of action.

In other words, Christ statement in Matthew 16:18 is more of the kind of action he will take to protect his own that is why he needs to edify, build or strengthen so that the gates of hell shall not prevails against it.

God bless