Where is John the Apostle now?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 4, 2023
In John 21.22, Jesus says that John would remain alive until He returns. So, where is John now? Where has he been? Did Jesus keep anyone else alive? John is the oldest living person if it's just him, at over 2000 years old. So, where is he? Wouldn't he be in the news? Wouldn't he be out preaching and healing people and working wonders and miracles?

I think he is either one of two things: 1. being held captive somewhere. or 2. in hiding somewhere. Those are the only explanations I can come up with for not knowing his whereabouts.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus did not say that John would not die. He said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"

Theories on what happened to John (<= link :))
amen lol it actually says that it began stories based on the misunderstanding

“Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die:

yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?”
‭‭John‬ ‭21:23‬ ‭

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
In John 21.22, Jesus says that John would remain alive until He returns. So, where is John now? Where has he been? Did Jesus keep anyone else alive?
All the apostles are very much awake and alive in Heaven. Also you forgot to note the "if I will " in this verse: Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. So that was not a promise to keep John alive on earth. It was meant to tell Peter that he should not concern himself with the fate of someone else.

Omegatime

Apr 29, 2023
Pennsylvania
I believe John will have a role to play during the Tribulation besides the two witnesses

May 4, 2023
He meant it, Nehemiah6. You know it for sure because Matthew 24.34 also contains: "Verily I say to you, This generation will not have passed away until all these things shall have taken place." He said "this generation," which makes me wonder if it is more than just John that He is keeping alive until He returns.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
All the apostles are very much awake and alive in Heaven. Also you forgot to note the "if I will " in this verse: Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. So that was not a promise to keep John alive on earth. It was meant to tell Peter that he should not concern himself with the fate of someone else.
Amen exactly and I like this part a lot

All the apostles are very much awake and alive in Heaven.

amen brother

May 4, 2023
No, John's not there. He's not in Heaven. He's still alive on Earth. I wonder if he's being tortured if he's somebody's prisoner.

Omegatime

Apr 29, 2023
Pennsylvania
He meant it, Nehemiah6. You know it for sure because Matthew 24.34 also contains: "Verily I say to you, This generation will not have passed away until all these things shall have taken place." He said "this generation," which makes me wonder if it is more than just John that He is keeping alive until He returns.
IMO when the Lord said this generation He meant the generation who would see everything mentioned in Matthew 24

Omegatime

Apr 29, 2023
Pennsylvania
No, he meant the generation that was standing there with Him as He told them of all those things.
15 “So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),

So this also has passed?????

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
what if Gods term “generation “ doesn’t mean what we think of it as ?

what if it’s like this kind of term

This is the book of the generation of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭5:1‬ ‭KJV‬

what if God is saying Adam and all
His offspring were a generation of man and we here the story from Adam to Malachi of that generation of Adam

and then this is the generation he’s talking about not passing away the new generation of man that began with Jesus

The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

You know how the Bible talks of two creations ? And two “first “men Adam and Jesus ?

What I’m asking is what if we’re thinking in mans terms of a generation but Gods speaking in his terms as a generation ? Like as in “ this generation of mankind will not pass away until all is fulfilled “

If this is what he’s saying then adams generation is why man fell into sin and the generation of Jesus Christ is how men become right with God being born again into a new generation of z gods children by the spirit

“Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; ( ot )

even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. ( nt)

For as by one man's ( adam) disobedience many were made sinners,

so by the obedience of one ( Jesus ) shall many be made righteous.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:14, 18-19‬

What if he’s talking about the generations of mankind and not generations within mankind is what I mean ?

May 4, 2023
15 “So when you see the desolating sacrilege spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand),

So this also has passed?????
Well, the first desolating sacrilege (abomination of desolation) has already passed, back during the Maccabees times. That was what the Book of Daniel was predicting. It was when the Greeks led by Antiochus IV Epiphanes brought their pagan idols into the Temple in Jerusalem and worshiped them while the Greeks occupied Israel. Judas Maccabeus and Israel with him rose up against the Greeks and destroyed the idols and fought away the Greeks.

The second abomination of desolation has not yet come as the Temple in Jerusalem still remains but as a wall and not as of yet is rebuilt.