WHICH Bible "version" Is Authorized By God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Careful you do not find yourself worshipping the man. He is A o G so he is in an apostate denomination. He supports and teaches women are approved by God to preach which no doubt is dear to your heart.

God has been and continues to oversee His word so that man has it in a form that he can read and understand. Even before Jesus set foot upon the earth God saw the OT translated into common Greek so the common man could hear it.

Now that we have the gospel what becomes important is what we do with it. We have heard about Jesus now we must do something with that information. It is not important if you understand the gospel in Hebrew, Greek of pigeon English the gospel requires a response.

I will take an old hillbilly KJV only type who loves the Lord and preaches hell fire and damnation over a PhD progressive that denies the literal truths of the bible and teaches that there was no literal Adam or literal Eve.

Continue the ego stroke while souls are in danger of eternal condemnation and many perish by the moment.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

I would like to know who you are speaking about notuptome? Who here is in an apostate denomination?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Careful you do not find yourself worshipping the man. He is A o G so he is in an apostate denomination. He supports and teaches women are approved by God to preach which no doubt is dear to your heart.

God has been and continues to oversee His word so that man has it in a form that he can read and understand. Even before Jesus set foot upon the earth God saw the OT translated into common Greek so the common man could hear it.

Now that we have the gospel what becomes important is what we do with it. We have heard about Jesus now we must do something with that information. It is not important if you understand the gospel in Hebrew, Greek of pigeon English the gospel requires a response.

I will take an old hillbilly KJV only type who loves the Lord and preaches hell fire and damnation over a PhD progressive that denies the literal truths of the bible and teaches that there was no literal Adam or literal Eve.

Continue the ego stroke while souls are in danger of eternal condemnation and many perish by the moment.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

this is a sad display of a person who comes into a thread to attack those he disagrees with and call people he doesn't even know apostate. Yet, like a coward, he won't even speak to who he is referring to. has this A o G person said anything in context to the thread that was not true? I would like to know and if you can point out what that person said inthis thread that was not Biblically true?

John146

Jan 13, 2016
So, I definitely agree with you on that, just disagree that a translation can ever be perfect!
A translation cannot be perfect? There are many examples of translations throughout the bible itself, and in every case, the translation is better than the original.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I would like to know who you are speaking about notuptome? Who here is in an apostate denomination?
Not a person but a denomination.
this is a sad display of a person who comes into a thread to attack those he disagrees with and call people he doesn't even know apostate. Yet, like a coward, he won't even speak to who he is referring to. has this A o G person said anything in context to the thread that was not true? I would like to know and if you can point out what that person said inthis thread that was not Biblically true?
The person was cited by another poster. That person is in an apostate denomination and being held up as a great bible translator. Since the person is not here to defend himself he cannot respond directly to the matter so I can only provide some background context.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I am quite certain that these "giants", as you call them, were smart enough to understand the issues and not close their minds to truth, hard evidence, and sound reasoning. I'm also certain that the way you use "inspired words of God" is not how they would have used the term.
The greatest preachers of the past four centuries (giants) have been King James Bible believers. Billy Sunday is said to have led over one million people to Christ, and he was a KJV believer. Spurgeon, Moody, Whitfield, and Wesley were all KJV men, and the list goes on. God has richly blessed the ministries of such men as these because they stayed busy OBEYING His word rather than questioning its authority.

CS1

May 23, 2012

The person was cited by another poster. That person is in an apostate denomination and being held up as a great bible translator. Since the person is not here to defend himself he cannot respond directly to the matter so I can only provide some background context.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
You referred to a person here, you said:

"Careful you do not find yourself worshipping the man. He is A o G so he is in an apostate denomination. "

Why then did you bring it up out of nowhere? the response by the sister was to the person here then you commented on it and made the above statement. Why would you do that? You founded it ok to attack this person who you now say it since the person is not here to defend themselves YET you attacked them when there were not here as you say. I sense much hypocrisy. Am I wrong?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
That person is in an apostate denomination and being held up as a great bible translator.
Fallacy: guilt by association. How about addressing what Angela said, instead of bleating about something that is quite thoroughly irrelevant to this topic.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The greatest preachers of the past four centuries (giants) have been King James Bible believers. Billy Sunday is said to have led over one million people to Christ, and he was a KJV believer. Spurgeon, Moody, Whitfield, and Wesley were all KJV men, and the list goes on. God has richly blessed the ministries of such men as these because they stayed busy OBEYING His word rather than questioning its authority.
Fallacy: unwarranted assumption.

When you find evidence that these men preferred the KJV over other readily-available translations for specific reasons, then by all means present it. The fact that they happened to use the KJV is not, by itself, evidence that they would not have used a modern translation were such available at the time.

CS1

May 23, 2012

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Not a person? You gave warning and call this "Person" apostate because they are A o G and have women preachers. Be honest. Now you are not speaking about the person but the denomination after you attack this person who was not here but you won't tell us it is because they are not here to defend themselves? Really?

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I could do without the old hillbillies burning crosses on people's lawns.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I could do without the old hillbillies burning crosses on people's lawns.
That is vulgar mean and racist.

I'm guessing you do not like hell fire damnation preaching. Jesus taught more about hell than He taught about heaven.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017

I'm guessing you do not like hell fire damnation preaching. Jesus taught more about hell than He taught about heaven.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Guess whatever you like.
You can dish it out but you can't take it.

I'm not putting up with your sanctimonious claptrap. That is all.

S

SophieT

For Greek scholars, yes, but not for God. A translation does not need to be a word for word in order to be the holy, pure word of God. There are examples of this all throughout scripture itself. A translation can be the holy inspired word of God without error. Do you not agree? If not, then there's no need in going further. Keep relying on your education and scholarship.
Preference for continuing in error after error, while blaming God and saying he takes care of any error, is so ridiculous that there are not words to properly describe your desire to be right especially when wrong

God does not override human sin or error. If you do not believe that, go read Genesis.

Paul was highly educated and he wrote much of the New Testament. Ignorance is not anything to brag about.

A blind person could see through your attempts to create a false understanding of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not overide our wills and He does not magically go back and correct errors in copy or understandig.

People behaving this way with the KJ, never conceding that it is not perfect, are cult like in their behavior.

S

SophieT

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Well then lets just talk about the devil and his domain rather than God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

Jesus demonstrated the kingdom of God and God's love for us. In fact, He was punished for our sins. How many did Jesus send to hell while He was on earth? Anyone? Not even the woman caught in adultery? right

S

Scribe

Nehemiah, Gordon Fee is one of the top Bible translators in the world. His Greek is excellent AND he knows the principles of translation inside out. backwards and forwards. He has also written some helpful pamphlets against the Word Faith. Every seminary I ever took a course from (some for transfer credit) recommended this book. It is pretty arrogant for you, someone who does not read Greek or Hebrew, to put down one of the acknowledged top translators in the world, and pretend you know more than him. When you get your PhD in hermeneutics, then maybe you can carefully explain using the Greek, why you disagree with him. I don't agree with him on everything, but he is an irenic and open person. Not narrow minded to the point of insanity like you are about KJV Onlyism. The sign of a real scholar is being able to re-examine your beliefs and be able to change them. This KJV Onlyism is a terrible cult. They have a short list of memorized verses and scripture saying things in the Bible only apply to the KJV Bible. In fact, every one of those verses, like "being refined 7 times," can apply to any translation, in any language.

I feel very bad for you. You have good theology in many areas. You are honest and stand up for Biblical truth. But somehow, you got deluded and ended up in this terrible, irrational cult, and you are literally drowning, tied to the bottom of the ocean. If you ever need to come up for air and really want to talk about the truth of this nightmare of dishonesty and brainwashing, feel free to PM me and we can talk privately or on here. There is no fault for changing your mind, when all the facts are against you.
Yes it was such an ignorant statement about Gordon Fee. I started to say something but decided I would be wasting my time.

CS1

May 23, 2012

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I think you need to stop. Clearly you have not responded to my question as to why you choose to attack a person who was not here, then say you did not want to mention their name because they were not here.

That is called hypocrite and it is still gossiping. This post here also has nothing to do with the current Thread. But as you like to do, you want to interject falsehoods to support your own biblical understanding. Then attack those who disagree with you and call them names and make assertions of their character. You are a rude, hateful man and you need to go. really.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
While I totally agree adultery is wrong, that is a failure of character, NOT translation. As for the Bible Hebraica, I didn't say the KJV was a bad version for the Hebrew. Although there are radical differences between English and Hebrew, like the verb system which is black and white, based on a three letter root word, with forms into divisions like Qal, Niphil, Piel, etc. None the less, my Hebrew class agreed KJV was a strong translation, because both English and Hebrew have a similar word order, ie "Subject, verb, DO, IO." So, it can be translated word for word, much more evenly in English than Greek. Mind you, that applies to all translations.

I personally find Brown-Driver-Briggs B-D-B to be the best and most thorough lexicon. I have used it for many years. The internet version is updated, but not the book. And the KJV is still too flowery, with too many obsolete and archaic words, to say nothing of the grammar and using second person singular, which is totally obsolete in modern English. It's not that I do not understand second person singular. Besides Greek and Hebrew, I have studied it extensively in French, German and Spanish. The difference is that I have been taught the right words to use in those languages for 2nd person singular, and I also have a lot of tools for each language, including a lot of Bescherelles for all three modern versions. I have heard that 2nd person singular is dying out in France and the old people hate it.

I do use the Nestle-Aland interlinear, and the UBS-5 for a Greek reading Bible. (I also have a USB Hebrew Bible.)It is a good Bible, because it points out differences in different manuscripts and what the best reading is likely to be. I also have other important Greek tools, like Mounce's Morphology and Biblical Greek - A Compact Guide, also by Bill Mounce. I had him for first and second year Greek. The first year in seminary, we used his tapes and books and asked our professor questions. For second year Greek I did a weekly Zoom meeting, and we translated the Bible into English, and parsed it. He was so smart and his Greek impeccable.His dad was a Greek scholar, wrote commentaries and on many translation committees. So, he learned Greek from a very young age. But very humble and willing to accept reasonable, supported arguments, even if he disagreed, because of his upbringing. The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament is wonderful to have. I goes verse by verse through the whole NT, giving the actual cases and verb tenses for every unusual word, plus some historical facts, if it helps understand the Greek better. Finally, Beyond the Basics of Biblical Greek, by Daniel Wallace, is a huge tome of Greek grammar. He has 90 pages just on the biblical uses of the word "the." Dr. Mounce suggested I read it, and so I slogged through all of it. But, I learned a lot!

Anyway, the fact is the Byzantine copies are corrupt and passed that corruption down for centuries. That includes wrong words, spelling issues, incorporating marginal notes into the text (hence, why the KJV has more words, even though those words were incorporated a millennium later, into the text. The modern translation has over 6000 Greek manuscripts to choose from, the KJV translators, had 7 late, corrupted manuscripts and relied heavily on Erasmus, a Catholic priest and his translation. He found a lot of things which the Vulgate added, which were not in the original Greek. particularly the Johannine Comma, in 1 John 5:7-8. He found no evidence of it in any early versions, and begged the Pope to not be put into his new and more accurate translation. The pope said the verse had to stay, because it is a nice summation of the Trinity. But sadly, it is not in the original autographs, or any of the earliest and even later Greek manuscripts. So, the new translations did not "leave out" those verses, but rather the Catholic Church added them in, to bolster their theology. And you really don't need those verses to prove the Trinity. I've been studying the Trinity for 2 years in my PhD program and there are thousands of perfectly good verses to prove the truth of the Trinity.
Yes Adulterers (Kurt and Barbara Aland) And homosexual union supporter (Carlo Maria Martini) created the Greek Text (Novum Testamentum Graece) that supports new modern versions NIV, NASB, ESV, RSV, Etc

God didnt use these corrupt trees to preserve his word to the world, fact

Matthew 7:16-21KJV

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Preference for continuing in error after error, while blaming God and saying he takes care of any error, is so ridiculous that there are not words to properly describe your desire to be right especially when wrong

God does not override human sin or error. If you do not believe that, go read Genesis.

Paul was highly educated and he wrote much of the New Testament. Ignorance is not anything to brag about.

A blind person could see through your attempts to create a false understanding of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not overide our wills and He does not magically go back and correct errors in copy or understandig.

People behaving this way with the KJ, never conceding that it is not perfect, are cult like in their behavior.
Thanks for your opinions...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I think you need to stop. Clearly you have not responded to my question as to why you choose to attack a person who was not here, then say you did not want to mention their name because they were not here.

That is called hypocrite and it is still gossiping. This post here also has nothing to do with the current Thread. But as you like to do, you want to interject falsehoods to support your own biblical understanding. Then attack those who disagree with you and call them names and make assertions of their character. You are a rude, hateful man and you need to go. really.
I was not the one who likened hillbilly preachers to the KKK burning crosses on peoples front yards.

I have nothing more to discuss with you on the subject.

For the cause of Christ
Roger