Which Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rdbseekingafterhim
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
This can work until the "different concept" is too much different from the original.

True but like in one your posts you were talking about Jupiter and Hermes how that one is right and one is wrong. But in reality they are the same entities just different names.
 
True but like in one your posts you were talking about Jupiter and Hermes how that one is right and one is wrong. But in reality they are the same entities just different names.

Maybe, but 70 is not 75, for example :) And YHWH is not Jehova, book of life is not the tree of life etc etc.
 
Yes, but God did promise to preserve His words for every generation.

yes, I agree that God's word is preserved forever

PSALMS 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.



I believe that what we see on earth is a reflection of that

1 CORINTHIANS 13:12 Now we see a blurred image in a mirror. Then we will see very clearly. Now my knowledge is incomplete. Then I will have complete knowledge as God has complete knowledge of me.
 
I'm not sure if there is a perfect version in other languages that would be considered the Holy word of God. There may be close translations, but not perfect. God never promised to preserve His words in every language. He promised to preserve His words and I believe His has preserved them in the English language in the KJV. The gospel, however, can be easily understood in any language.

So you are not even sure if texts copied only a few hundred years after the original are perfect. ]

You are also then claiming that God decided to wait nearly 1600 years to decided that 17th century English is His prefered perfect language and it would only be at that time would God provide the perfect writings of Holy Scripture. That means for thousands of years the Torah etc are all inaccurate?

Do you not realise how much this proves to other people that you are part of a brainwashed deluded cult?
 
Could you do that for Daniel 3:25 also? I tried to, but I couldn't figure out how to copy it.

Daniel 3:25 ►Text Analysis
[TABLE="class: maintext"]
[TR]
[TD="class: top, width: 17%"]Str[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 20%"]Translit[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 20%"]Hebrew[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 25%"]English[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 18%"]Morph[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]6032 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]‘ā-nêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]עָנֵ֣ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]He answered[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]560 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wə-’ā-mar,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וְאָמַ֗ר[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and said[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1888 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]hā-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]הָֽא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]see[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]576 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ă-nāh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אֲנָ֨ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]I [am][/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Pro[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]2370 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]ḥā-zêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]חָזֵ֜ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]see[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1400 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]guḇ-rîn[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]גֻּבְרִ֣ין[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]men[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]703 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ar-bə-‘āh,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אַרְבְּעָ֗ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]four[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]8271 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]šə-ra-yin[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]שְׁרַ֙יִן֙[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]loose[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1981 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]mah-lə-ḵîn[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]מַהְלְכִ֣ין[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]walking[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1459 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]bə-ḡō-w-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]בְּגֽוֹא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]in the middle[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]5135 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]nū-rā,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]נוּרָ֔א[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of the fire[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]2257 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wa-ḥă-ḇāl[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וַחֲבָ֖ל[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and hurt[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]3809 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]lā-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]לָא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]not[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Adv[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]383 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’î-ṯay[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אִיתַ֣י[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]they have[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"] [/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]bə-hō-wn;[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]בְּה֑וֹן[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]in[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prep[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]7299 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wə-rê-wêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וְרֵוֵהּ֙[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and the form[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1768 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]dî[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]דִּ֣י[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"] [/TD]
[TD="class: translit"][rə-ḇî-‘ā-yā[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"][רְבִיעָיָא[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] - [/TD]
[TD="class: pos"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"] [/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]ḵ][/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]כ][/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] - [/TD]
[TD="class: pos"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]7244 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"](rə-ḇî-‘ā-’āh,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"](רְֽבִיעָאָ֔ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]the fourth[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Adj[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"] [/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]q)[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]ק)[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] - [/TD]
[TD="class: pos"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1821 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]dā-mêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]דָּמֵ֖ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]is like[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1247 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]lə-ḇar-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]לְבַר־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]the Son[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]426 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ĕ-lā-hîn.[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אֱלָהִֽין׃[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of God[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"] [/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]s[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]ס[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] - [/TD]
[TD="class: pos"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
"and, even though it's a "mis-translation" in the KJV, I STILL would have no problem trusting the KJV to be the word of God. Just as I do several other translations."

If you believe the KJV has errors in it, then don't consider it to be the word of God. The word of God contains no errors. That's my whole point. If one believes that all translations have errors, then none of them can be consider the word of God.

Re-read my post. I disagree with you as to the assurance that we will have every word, punctuation mark, etc preserved EXACTLY like the writers penned it....
 
He promised to preserve His words and I believe His has preserved them in the English language in the KJV.

That is an incredibly elitist attitude you have....
 
After reading through several pages to catch up, I just realized that my view of inerrancy is completely different than everybody here, including the KJV only people. I would like to give my position on inerrancy and what I mean by there are no errors in the bible.

I believe the word of God is a concept, not the words written on the page. There are many different ways a concept can be conveyed and the conveyance isn't bound by any language. So when the KJV doesn't match the original languages, that means nothing to me as far as being evidence of a translational error. In my view if the concept is conveyed accurately then there are no errors.

Every time I debate this subject I always get pulled into Greek and Hebrew arguments of which I know nothing about nor do I care to know about it. Translational errors and corruptions in my view are related to incorrect conveyance of the concept.
" I believe the word of God is a concept, not the words written on the page."
I agree

for some folks, the best way to absorb God's word is the kjv

others benefit from modern translations
 
Daniel 3:25 ►Text Analysis
[TABLE="class: maintext"]
[TR]
[TD="class: top"]Str[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 20%"]Translit[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 20%"]Hebrew[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 25%"]English[/TD]
[TD="class: top, width: 18%"]Morph[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]6032 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]‘ā-nêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]עָנֵ֣ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]He answered[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]560 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wə-’ā-mar,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וְאָמַ֗ר[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and said[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1888 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]hā-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]הָֽא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]see[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]576 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ă-nāh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אֲנָ֨ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]I [am][/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Pro[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]2370 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]ḥā-zêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]חָזֵ֜ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]see[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1400 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]guḇ-rîn[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]גֻּבְרִ֣ין[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]men[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]703 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ar-bə-‘āh,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אַרְבְּעָ֗ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]four[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]8271 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]šə-ra-yin[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]שְׁרַ֙יִן֙[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]loose[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1981 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]mah-lə-ḵîn[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]מַהְלְכִ֣ין[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]walking[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1459 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]bə-ḡō-w-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]בְּגֽוֹא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]in the middle[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]5135 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]nū-rā,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]נוּרָ֔א[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of the fire[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]2257 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wa-ḥă-ḇāl[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וַחֲבָ֖ל[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and hurt[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]3809 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]lā-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]לָא־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]not[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Adv[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]383 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’î-ṯay[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אִיתַ֣י[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]they have[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]bə-hō-wn;[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]בְּה֑וֹן[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]in[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prep[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]7299 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]wə-rê-wêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]וְרֵוֵהּ֙[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]and the form[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1768 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]dî[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]דִּ֣י[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Prt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"][rə-ḇî-‘ā-yā[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"][רְבִיעָיָא[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] -[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]ḵ][/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]כ][/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] -[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]7244 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"](rə-ḇî-‘ā-’āh,[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"](רְֽבִיעָאָ֔ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]the fourth[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Adj[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]q)[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]ק)[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] -[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1821 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]dā-mêh[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]דָּמֵ֖ה[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]is like[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Verb[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]1247 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]lə-ḇar-[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]לְבַר־[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]the Son[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"]426 [e][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]’ĕ-lā-hîn.[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]אֱלָהִֽין׃[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"]of God[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"]Noun[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: strongsnt"][/TD]
[TD="class: translit"]s[/TD]
[TD="class: hebrew2"]ס[/TD]
[TD="class: eng"] -[/TD]
[TD="class: pos"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

So, when you click on ’ĕ-lā-hîn. - you see that is in fact "plural" and not singular. This also shows the 9 instances in Daniel this very same exact word was used and the KJV mis-translated it for sure. They added their "bias" and "interpretation" to the text.

I'm not going to throw out the KJV because of it. All translations have some sort of a bias in some places.

This is why the Lord has given us tools in this modern age for those that want to study further into the scriptures when the Holy Spirit witnesses inside our spirit .."That's not quite accurate"....it makes us search to be Bereans. It's a good thing....All is well....:)
 
Could you do that for Daniel 3:25 also? I tried to, but I couldn't figure out how to copy it.

That is a bit more difficult, as it won't let me copy the same way when the text is all backwards .p

He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God

עָנֵה וְאָמַר הָֽא־אֲנָה חָזֵה גֻּבְרִין אַרְבְּעָה שְׁרַיִן מַהְלְכִין
בְּגֹֽוא־נוּרָא וַחֲבָל לָא־אִיתַי בְּהֹון וְרֵוֵהּ דִּי רביעיא דָּמֵה
לְבַר־אֱלָהִֽין׃ ס


Reverse Interlinear

He answered

h6032
עֲנָה `anah (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

and said

h560
אֲמַר 'amar (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

Lo

h1888
הָא he' (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


I

h576
אֲנָא 'ana' (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


see

h2370
חֲזָא chaza' (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

four

h703
אַרְבַּע 'arba` (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


men

h1400
גְּבַר gĕbar (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


loose

h8271
שְׂרָה shĕre' (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

walking

h1981
הֲלַךְ halak (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

in the midst

h1459
גַּו gav (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


of the fire

h5135
נוּר nuwr (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


and they have

h383
אִיתַי 'iythay (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


no

h3809
לָא la' (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


hurt

h2257
חֲבַל chabal (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


and the form

h7299
רֵו rev (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


of the fourth

h7244
רְבִיעַי rĕbiy`ay (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


is like

h1821
דְּמָה dĕmah (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg

tag_parse_a.png

the Son

h1247
בַּר bar (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg


of God

h426
אֱלָהּ 'elahh (Aramaic)
speaker.3.svg



[TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]

[TD="colspan: 6"] [/TD]


לְבַר־אֱלָהִֽין׃ ס
 
After reading through several pages to catch up, I just realized that my view of inerrancy is completely different than everybody here, including the KJV only people. I would like to give my position on inerrancy and what I mean by there are no errors in the bible.

I believe the word of God is a concept, not the words written on the page. There are many different ways a concept can be conveyed and the conveyance isn't bound by any language. So when the KJV doesn't match the original languages, that means nothing to me as far as being evidence of a translational error. In my view if the concept is conveyed accurately then there are no errors.

Every time I debate this subject I always get pulled into Greek and Hebrew arguments of which I know nothing about nor do I care to know about it. Translational errors and corruptions in my view are related to incorrect conveyance of the concept.

I believe that the KJV is the exact English words God used to preserve His words in the English language. There is no "better" way to say what God has said.