Which Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rdbseekingafterhim
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
The Bible didnt fall from heaven anyone with some research into how it was written and constructed will realize that. It was inspired by the Holy Spirit but was channeled through fallible human beings. You dont believe the Koran was dictated to Mohammed by the Angel Gabriel in perfect Arabic so why insist that the Bible was dictated into perfect Hebrew and Greek

Just a little refinement here if I may, the Bible "is given by the inspiration of God" and it authors are "holy men" of God.

God bless
 
It's best to dig in to the original Greek (NT) and Hebrew (OT)... which is why I stick with the KJV cause it goes with my Greek / Hebrew dictionaries

I hear a lot of people say that but I've never seen an example of the original languages bringing more clarity to anythinget. From what I've seen it does the opposite.
 
The Bible didnt fall from heaven anyone with some research into how it was written and constructed will realize that. It was inspired by the Holy Spirit but was channeled through fallible human beings. You dont believe the Koran was dictated to Mohammed by the Angel Gabriel in perfect Arabic so why insist that the Bible was dictated into perfect Hebrew and Greek
Why is it hard to believe that the God who spoke the universe in existence isn't able to get the writers and translators of the bible to write exactly what he wanted to have written down? What leads you to believe that?
 
I hear a lot of people say that but I've never seen an example of the original languages bringing more clarity to anythinget. From what I've seen it does the opposite.

It's with the understanding that the Bible provides it's own commentary... whatever subject that we are studying, we need to also look at what the rest of God's Word says about that subject.

Yes, going in to the Greek and Hebrew is very helpful. I like the KJV alot, but it does have it's errors as some passages are calvinistic which is not that big of a problem for me since other passages are not.

One thing is for sure in the last few decades... satan is now publishing his own translations geared towards muddying the waters to confuse people.

There are lots of folks that have posted comparisons between the different versions out on the net if one is interested in searching for that. On the other hand, many are departing the faith for doctrines of devils and they'll believe anything that makes them feel good.
 
It's with the understanding that the Bible provides it's own commentary... whatever subject that we are studying, we need to also look at what the rest of God's Word says about that subject.

Yes, going in to the Greek and Hebrew is very helpful. I like the KJV alot, but it does have it's errors as some passages are calvinistic which is not that big of a problem for me since other passages are not.

One thing is for sure in the last few decades... satan is now publishing his own translations geared towards muddying the waters to confuse people.

There are lots of folks that have posted comparisons between the different versions out on the net if one is interested in searching for that. On the other hand, many are departing the faith for doctrines of devils and they'll believe anything that makes them feel good.
One thing I've learned from this thread is that most people's definition of errors in the KJV are a lot different than mine lol. As I have said before, I have never seen a bonafide error in the KJV.
 
It's best to dig in to the original Greek (NT) and Hebrew (OT)... which is why I stick with the KJV cause it goes with my Greek / Hebrew dictionaries

The use of Hebrew/Greek dictionaries indexed on the KJV is okay as long as you understand that the true meaning of the scripture depends on more than the definition of the word by word translation of the Hebrew/Greek. If you are going to dig into the Hebrew/Greek, I recommend that you take the time to study the grammar structures of each language.
 
The use of Hebrew/Greek dictionaries indexed on the KJV is okay as long as you understand that the true meaning of the scripture depends on more than the definition of the word by word translation of the Hebrew/Greek. If you are going to dig into the Hebrew/Greek, I recommend that you take the time to study the grammar structures of each language.
I'ts sooooo much easier to study the bible in our own language.
 
Why is it hard to believe that the God who spoke the universe in existence isn't able to get the writers and translators of the bible to write exactly what he wanted to have written down? What leads you to believe that?

Why is it so hard to believe that God guided those who compiled Bibles other than the KJV? God knew the target audience of the KJV. Doesn't he also know the target audience of today's translations? God's word, whether it is via the KJV or other versions, never returns void.
 
Why is it so hard to believe that God guided those who compiled Bibles other than the KJV? God knew the target audience of the KJV. Doesn't he also know the target audience of today's translations? God's word, whether it is via the KJV or other versions, never returns void.

Most are very different in their translations of words and even doctrines. Words are important to God.
 
I have never seen a bonafide error in the KJV.

Here's one:

In Psalm 8:5, the word angels is translated as God in other places in the KJV.

Apparently, the KJV translators did not have the guts to say what God says which is man was created a little lower than Himself.
 
I'ts sooooo much easier to study the bible in our own language.

I do to. I find the ESV the best source in my native language. I grew up, learned to read, using the KJV. The first time I picked up the Living Bible, my comment was "Wow". At last I had found a Bible that I could get young people to read. As these young people matured in the Word, they picked up the NIV. Today most use the ESV. All have a KJV.
 
Most are very different in their translations of words and even doctrines. Words are important to God.

You have said that over and over again. The fact is language is in a constant state of change. I don't understand the conversation of many young people today. Hand them a KJV, and they will probably lay it down after reading a few pages, and never open it again. God knows that. Today he hands them a version that they can read and understand. God is going to ensure that his word is understandable by the target audience.

Don't be surprised to see Him provide CTV (Cellphone Text Version), FFV (Facebook Friendly Version), or maybe SLV (Street Language Version. God wants everyone to understand His word. Rather than find fault with any version, pray that the Gospel of Christ will reach more lost soles through them.
 
One thing I've learned from this thread is that most people's definition of errors in the KJV are a lot different than mine lol. As I have said before, I have never seen a bonafide error in the KJV.

Maybe you could give some example of error you would accept?

I showed you missing verses, wrong OT citations, Jehovah name (which is obviously error) etc. But you alway try to say its ok, somehow :)

So what would be some error you would really accept?
 
Maybe you could give some example of error you would accept?

I showed you missing verses, wrong OT citations, Jehovah name (which is obviously error) etc. But you alway try to say its ok, somehow :)

So what would be some error you would really accept?

Whatever standard one chooses, errors are measured against the chosen standard.
 
You have said that over and over again. The fact is language is in a constant state of change. I don't understand the conversation of many young people today. Hand them a KJV, and they will probably lay it down after reading a few pages, and never open it again. God knows that. Today he hands them a version that they can read and understand. God is going to ensure that his word is understandable by the target audience.

Don't be surprised to see Him provide CTV (Cellphone Text Version), FFV (Facebook Friendly Version), or maybe SLV (Street Language Version. God wants everyone to understand His word. Rather than find fault with any version, pray that the Gospel of Christ will reach more lost soles through them.

So it's ok to change words because of us? It's ok to change doctrines even because of us? I think the problem is with us, not with the word of God. God's holy word should be different. I'm glad it's different and does not sound like the language of today. It stands alone.

If a CTV, FFV, or SL comes out, I still would not consider them the holy word of God without error. How can one hold up a KJV and say, "This is the word of God" and then hold up an ESV and say "This also is the word of God" and then the Message and claim "This is the word of God as well"? Either one is or none of them are.

Yes, pray that the gospel of Christ would go out to all people.
 
You have said that over and over again. The fact is language is in a constant state of change. I don't understand the conversation of many young people today. Hand them a KJV, and they will probably lay it down after reading a few pages, and never open it again. God knows that. Today he hands them a version that they can read and understand. God is going to ensure that his word is understandable by the target audience.

Don't be surprised to see Him provide CTV (Cellphone Text Version), FFV (Facebook Friendly Version), or maybe SLV (Street Language Version. God wants everyone to understand His word. Rather than find fault with any version, pray that the Gospel of Christ will reach more lost soles through them.

good post, can't forget of the FLV ( Future Language Version ) as well :)