Who did Jesus say to pray to? Does it matter?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Originally Posted by know1

Yes, in Him we have the Father and therefore should pray to the Father in Jesus' name.
I think I understand where you're coming from but I still see a flaw in your logic. A person can still think they are a Child of God, praying to Jesus, and yet not know Him. Just because you pray to Jesus does not mean you are born again and going to heaven.
Righteousness is not based upon prayer or even our works, but on Christ being in you.
But to those who are truly born again, the scriptures are very clear that you should pray to the Father in the name of Jesus.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

"This verse has to do with those who call on the name of, or pray to, Jesus."

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? [Or I prayed to you every day]
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

All in all, it's not about who you pray to, but who you have in you. Like you said, 'in Him you've got the Father'.

This verse has to do with those who call on the name of, or pray to, Jesus."

That right there is you saying that calling on the name of Jesus IS praying to Jesus.....right there.....just above my line here....That is what I am saying is wrong.....calling on and praying to are different...you say they are the same right there.....in the big font above my text right here......that's wrong....
I think that in your case Know1 it is less difficult to identify the error I pointed out than you let on. You seem quite bright and surely can see the mistake.....

I commend you sir on your post, and thank you, I now see your point and my flaw. I sit corrected. I still believe my theology to be correct but my interpretation of this scripture to be incorrect/wrong. I apologize for the error, and again, thank you.
"in that day", I believe is referring to the time when they are either dead or standing before the throne of God wondering why they are not going to or why they are not in heaven. This does not have to do with praying to Jesus. Again, I apologize for the error.
I was trying to move away from the subject of who you pray to and move towards who is in you that matters. If Jesus never new you then it didn't matter who you prayed to when you were on earth. According to scripture though, if we have a petition, it is to be directed to the Father through the mediator's name. That being Jesus.
As for speaking/talking to Jesus or the Holy Ghost, I don't see anything in scripture forbidding that. Nor commanding something to be done in Jesus' name.

T

TheMachine

Thank you!....sorry if I came across harsh, that was not my intent although I am sometimes tone-al-ly challenged. We agree and for one of very few times on this site!!

I also see "in that day" as perhaps the day of judgement....but I could be wrong. Have a happy New Year and God Bless!

The Machine

Jim Gordon: I never said thank you. Batman/Bruce Wayne: And you'll never have to

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Now for me they love and honor each other they are not separate in jealousy or dominance, the Lord perfect in all pertaining to knowing our experiences as a man so, to put rigid boundries on who i should talk to, i talk to the Father and the Son my savior my helper my eldest brother etc. there are too many facets of Jesus' perfections that i can identify with is my personal helper, no one can tell me not to talk to Jesus, Jesus never has reproved me for talking to Him. My freedom is that i can approach any one of them and talk to them, so you can try to be so strick about who you can and cannot talk to is your relationship of which i have not experienced. Is it strange that the Lord Speakes to me and the Holy Spirit prayes through me and reveals things to me but it is a sin to talk to them? I have not found that at any time i have sinned talking to any of them.

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

I did not talk to the Father when i inquired of Jesus to come into me and save me. I talked to Jesus not the Father and i received Jesus and His presence, His new birth in my spirit and soul. Jesus and the Father and the Holy Spirit all answered but it was Jesus i was fuly aware of and over time He has entreated me to speak and talk to the Father.

T

TyroneLayes

In Matthew 6: 9 Jesus tells us how we are to start our prayers, it the Lords Prayer... I hope this helps God Bless

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus, when giving instruction on how to pray, specifically said to pray to the Father.

Question.

Does it matter who we pray to?
Can we pray to Jesus?
Can we pray to the Holy Spirit?

Or are we only to pray to the Father, seeing that Jesus specifically said to pray to the Father?

If you don't pray only to the Father are you going against what Jesus taught?

Does any of it matter?

Disclaimer: Of course I know we're not to pray to saints, other gods, the dead, and the like.
I believe that Jesus was God in flesh. It is okay, therefore, to pray to Jesus. However, I think Jesus was trying to set an example for us, and the example he wanted us to follow was to have a relationship with God the Father.

I believe also that the Holy Spirit and God the Father are the same being. I believe “Holy Spirit” is the name we sometimes call God when he is communicating with us.