A christian is a follower of Christ. Christians, were not the ones that first called themselves christians, but it was the ones outside of the church. I do not like the question, "are you a christian"? The scriptures says that you will know them by their fruits. If someone has to ask, to me, it would indicate that I am not showing much fruit. I also do not think it is becoming for a person to state that they are a christian. It has a "hint" of pride.In Acts 11:25-26 disciples of Christ were first called Christians at Antioch. I have some questions.
Please pick one, or all of them if you want, and provide any insight. Thank you.
1. Who first referred to disciples of Christ as Christians?
2. Given the word 'Christian' only appears twice in the New Testament (1 Peter 4:16) how did it become the dominant term used to refer to disciples of Christ or the church in general?
3. Why are we referred to less often as saints or God's elect even though the terms 'saint' and 'elect' are used with higher frequency than 'Christian' in the Bible?
4. I heard once that 'Christian' was initially a derogatory term. Is that true?
Acts 11:25-26 (KJV)
25Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
A christian is a follower of Christ. Christians, were not the ones that first called themselves christians, but it was the ones outside of the church. I do not like the question, "are you a christian"? The scriptures says that you will know them by their fruits. If someone has to ask, to me, it would indicate that I am not showing much fruit. I also do not think it is becoming for a person to state that they are a christian. It has a "hint" of pride.
I dunno if it was due to an easier term or not. Seems to me if that were the objective Wayist would be even easier to say with only two sylables. Just a thought.
This is because Catholics usually subscribe to the universal church doctrine. While many protestants believe that individual churches are independent the Catholics have a system where everything is centralized and controlled from the Pope down.That's interesting. Ever look up what the word Catholic means? It has an entirely different meaning than what Christian means.
catholic kăth′ə-lĭk, kăth′lĭk
- adj.
Of broad or liberal scope; comprehensive.- adj.
Including or concerning all humankind; universal.
1. Some people at Antioch first called the followers of Christ's teaching Christian.In Acts 11:25-26 disciples of Christ were first called Christians at Antioch. I have some questions.
Please pick one, or all of them if you want, and provide any insight. Thank you.
1. Who first referred to disciples of Christ as Christians?
2. Given the word 'Christian' only appears twice in the New Testament (1 Peter 4:16) how did it become the dominant term used to refer to disciples of Christ or the church in general?
3. Why are we referred to less often as saints or God's elect even though the terms 'saint' and 'elect' are used with higher frequency than 'Christian' in the Bible?
4. I heard once that 'Christian' was initially a derogatory term. Is that true?
Acts 11:25-26 (KJV)
25Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.