who or what is satan?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Graybeard

Starcrash.......I'm sure you are a great guy, but I can not be blind to the fact that you have and continue to trample my Lord Jesus and His Inspired Word with the vomit that you spew on a daily basis...forgive me for resenting you as I'm reminded that the Lord has said "vengeance is mine"

Mar 18, 2011
It's amazing how every single non-existent being has pulled off this same trick. Do you believe in Minotaurs, because they believe in you!
Isaiah 14:12-KJV- don't believe me, trust the bible. Secondly, just because you choose not to believe something doesn't make it false. I have had personal experiences with satan and in many ways it strengthened my faith in God.

Mar 18, 2011
satan/ lucifer/the devil exists. I promise you.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Yes I am copying it from Microsoft word where I keep all my files. If I preview it before I post it will I have more than 5 min to fix it?
when you click reply to post, look top left:

two buttons:

A/A and the one next to it.

the one with the red X through the "A"s removes all formatting from wherever you copied it from, and switches it to CC default format.

then you can re-click the format one and select your own colors & size & whatnot.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
I'm sorry, "murderer"? Who is Satan said to have murdered?

The lack of citation should be noted, as it is notable. Many Christians are unaware of this, but the story of Satan's rebellion is found in the non-canonical book of Enoch. While Ezekial 28 has been cited as a source, a quick look at it will show you that it is about "the King of Tyre", a real place with a real king who the Israelites would have opposed for natural reasons. Also, in context, one should note that the bible has been talking about Tyre since chapter 27, and none of that has been metaphorically used to describe Satan or his "kingdom".
Ezekiel 28
A Lament over the King of Tyre
11Moreover, the word of the LORD came to me: 12“Son of man, raise a lamentation over the king of Tyre, and say to him, Thus says the Lord GOD:

“You were the signet of perfection,a
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.

13 You were in Eden, the garden of God;
every precious stone was your covering,
sardius, topaz, and diamond,
beryl, onyx, and jasper,
sapphire,b emerald, and carbuncle;
and crafted in gold were your settings
and your engravings.c
On the day that you were created
they were prepared.

14 You were an anointed guardian cherub.
I placed you;d you were on the holy mountain of God;
in the midst of the stones of fire you walked.

15 You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created,
till unrighteousness was found in you.

16 In the abundance of your trade
you were filled with violence in your midst, and you sinned;
so I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God,
and I destroyed you,e O guardian cherub,
from the midst of the stones of fire.

17 Your heart was proud because of your beauty;
you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I exposed you before kings,
to feast their eyes on you.

18 By the multitude of your iniquities,
in the unrighteousness of your trade
you profaned your sanctuaries;
so I brought fire out from your midst;
it consumed you,
and I turned you to ashes on the earth
in the sight of all who saw you.

19 All who know you among the peoples
are appalled at you;
you have come to a dreadful end
and shall be no more forever.”

pretty sure Hiram wasn't an anointed cherub in Eden; on the holy mountain of God; in the midst of the stones of fire.

i don't see God anywhere telling Hiram he was the signet of perfection; full of wisdom and perfect in beauty; blameless in his ways from the day he was created.

Feb 5, 2013
As I answered maxwel earlier in this thread, Satan either exists or does not exists independent of whether you or I believe he exists. An argument based on my personal belief or lack of it is ad hominem, not reasoned argument. If you're implying I'm biased, I would suggest that you remove the plank from your own eye.

I assumed in the argument above that you responded to that Christians believed in Satan only because the bible says so, and you've proven that this assumption is true at least in your own case. In fact, that seems to be your entire case. If you don't understand why that "evidence" is useless to me, then try to answer why the concept of Satan as stated in the Qur'an is incorrect, or why the favorable view that the Satanic bible takes is wrong ("Satan is the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!"). The obvious answer is that you don't accept these books as authorities. Why would I presuppose that your own preferred holy book is an authority?
You didn't get the whole thread. The OP is discussing about satan and should be expected to have the bible as the final authority,although, she failed to prove as far as the subject is concerned.

What you are asking is clearly out of the topic since the thread is looking for answers from the bible alone. It doesn't need proofs scientifically or any man made theories. If you want to satisfy your nothingness then go somewhere else or create a thread regarding what you propose.