Who provided the material for your translation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 20, 2024
SW Florida
Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume I page 78. Letter addressed to Mr. John Ellerton dated July 6, 1848.

"I am inclined to think that no such state as Eden ever existed, and that Adam's fall in no degree differed from the fall of each of his descendants,----"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and letters of J.A.F. Hort volume II page 50. Letter addressed to Reverend B. F. Westcott, dated Oct 17, 1865.

"I have been persuaded for many years that Mary-worship and Jesus-worship have very much in common in their causes and their results."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume I page 416. Letter addressed to Rev. John Ellerton, and dated April 3, 1860.

"But the book which has most engaged me is Darwin. Whatever may be thought of it, it is a book that one is proud to be contemporary with."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and letter of J.A. F. Hort volume I page 471. In a letter to A. Mackmillan dated Jan. 4, 1863 Hort lays out his method for revising the Bible.

"The Authorized Version follows the Latin arrangement; I should simply follow the Greek. My Greek text would be constructed almost entirely from the four great MSS.; of course it would not appear."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume II page128.Letter addressed to Rev. J. Davies, and dated May 14, 1870.

"I John v 7 might be rid of in a month;"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaulThomson

Oct 29, 2023
Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume I page 78. Letter addressed to Mr. John Ellerton dated July 6, 1848.

"I am inclined to think that no such state as Eden ever existed, and that Adam's fall in no degree differed from the fall of each of his descendants,----"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and letters of J.A.F. Hort volume II page 50. Letter addressed to Reverend B. F. Westcott, dated Oct 17, 1865.

"I have been persuaded for many years that Mary-worship and Jesus-worship have very much in common in their causes and their results."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume I page 416. Letter addressed to Rev. John Ellerton, and dated April 3, 1860.

"But the book which has most engaged me is Darwin. Whatever may be thought of it, it is a book that one is proud to be contemporary with."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and letter of J.A. F. Hort volume I page 471. In a letter to A. Mackmillan dated Jan. 4, 1863 Hort lays out his method for revising the Bible.

"The Authorized Version follows the Latin arrangement; I should simply follow the Greek. My Greek text would be constructed almost entirely from the four great MSS.; of course it would not appear."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life and Letters of J.A.F. Hort volume II page128.Letter addressed to Rev. J. Davies, and dated May 14, 1870.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wescott and Hort. Unbelievers and snake-oil salesmen to silly seminaries.

Jun 30, 2015
A small handful of out-of-context comments from private letters, while marginally interesting, are not evidence that Hort’s work is flawed.

Sep 20, 2024
SW Florida
A small handful of out-of-context comments from private letters, while marginally interesting, are not evidence that Hort’s work is flawed.
You have made a broad statement. Can you back that up with evidence of one of the comments being out of context?

I have no desire to argue, I love you. This is totally about truth.

Jun 30, 2015
You have made a broad statement. Can you back that up with evidence of one of the comments being out of context?
Easily, for all of them. You provided one or two sentences from each letter, without the preceding or following sentences. For the quotations not to be out of context, you would need to provide the letters in their entirety. They may be consistent or inconsistent with their context, but in this forum we don't know because the context was not provided.

Sep 20, 2024
SW Florida
Easily, for all of them. You provided one or two sentences from each letter, without the preceding or following sentences. For the quotations not to be out of context, you would need to provide the letters in their entirety. They may be consistent or inconsistent with their context, but in this forum we don't know because the context was not provided.
You are right.

“Talking of your friend Shields and his carnivora forsaking the butcher for the greengrocer, I am inclined to think that no such state as Eden ever existed, and that Adam's fall in no degree differed from the fall of each of his descendants, as Coleridge justly argues that in each individual man there must have been a primal apostasy of the will, or else sin would not be guilty, but merely a condition of nature.”

“But it is even more important not to break silence with anything crude. Immediate writing but not immediate publication seems, on the whole, the most desirable course.
I have been persuaded for many years that Mary-worship and Jesus-worship have very much in common in their causes and their results. Perhaps the whole question may be said to be involved in the true idea of mediation, which is almost universally in one or both of two opposite directions.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrs. Shelly in particular comes out wonderfully, and one only wishes that the editress (Lady Shelley” had given more of her letters and diaries. But the book which has most engaged me is Darwin. Whatever may be thought of it, it is a book that one is proud to be contemporary with. I must work out and examine the argument more in detail, but at present my feeling is strong that the theory is unanswerable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In rereading this excerpt, it is out of context. I believe Hort is referring to a short book with two of the Apocrypha. I do not have the whole letter as Ian took many of my papers. I could not find Hort’s letters online, so I ordered both volumes, which I will not have for a few weeks. In Hort’s revision of the Bible he used only the Greek.

Life and letter of J.A. F. Hort volume I page 471. In a letter to A. Mackmillan dated Jan. 4, 1863 Hort lays out his method for revising two Apocrypha books.

The Authorized Version follows the Latin arrangement; I should simply follow the Greek. My Greek text would be constructed almost entirely from the four great MSS.; of course it would not appear.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No rational being doubts the need of a revised Bible; and the popular practical objections are worthless. Yet I have an increasing feeling in favor of delay. Of course no revision can be final, and it would be absurd to wait for perfection. But the criticism of both Testaments, in text and interpretation alike, appears to me to be just now in that chaotic state (in Germany hardly if at all less than in England), that the results of immediate revision would be peculiarly unsatisfactory. . . .(The author, Hort’s son omitted part of the letter.)"I John v 7 might be rid of in a month; and if that were done, I should prefer to wait a few years.
The other suggested measures are in themselves manifestly good. But I doubt the wisdom of binding them together as parts of a general scheme of Church Reform, with which only a single small section of Churchman can sympathize, and which may involve all in suspicion.

Sep 2, 2020

Honestly it sounds like Eden when they heard what God had said , and then someone else came along asking what God said then insisting it’s not true and they have a better word just listen to them ……they’ll tell you the real truth about that fruit