All things come from God by grace. So to answer the question, it is our faith with
help of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
help of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
All things come from God by grace. So to answer the question, it is our faith with
help of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
I suggest JOHN, the word INCORRUPTABLE SEED and DO NOT SIN as applied to what is actually BORN AGAIN in man..........
I've been hearing a lot about how the faith we have is not our faith, but it's the faith of Jesus. I was just wondering what scriptures would validate this teaching?
I have never heard this until I came here to CC. Does anyone know when this teaching began? Is it a denominational teaching?
I believe it's our own faith and have been taught this and as I said, it's not something I've ever heard before. Actually there are so many things I've never heard before until I came here.
I've been pondering this for a while now. I was going to bring it up in our women's bible study I'm a part of, but we need all the time for the study. But I don't really think they've heard this before either.
Thanks!SaveSave
And and it conveys the wrong idea. The word translated as "by" is the Greek word dia which means "through" and the word translated as "of" is the word "in". Thus it is not the faith "of" Christ but faith "in" Christ,
Strong's Concordance
dia: through, on account of, because ofOriginal Word: διά
Part of Speech: Preposition
Transliteration: dia
Phonetic Spelling: (dee-ah')
Short Definition: through, on account of
Definition: (a) gen: through, throughout, by the instrumentality of, (b) acc: through, on account of, by reason of, for the sake of, because of.
So it is really "through faith in Jesus Christ" and that is how the NASV, NIV, ASV, RV, Holman Christian Standard Bible etc. have it. This is consistent with Gospel truth.
However, Calvinists falsely claim that the gift of God mentioned in Ephesians 2:8 is faith, whereas the verse says that it is salvation, which is not of works, but because of the grace of God, and our faith in Him and in Christ and His finished work of redemption. So where does this faith come from?
Faith is generated by the Gospel itself, which is called "the Word of God", so faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (Rom 10:17). But the Gospel is never allowed to remain in isolation from the Holy Spirit, who convinces sinners that Christ died for them according to the Scripture, and rose again for their justification according to the Scriptures. And this is "saving faith". Whenever the full and true Gospel is preached, it is "the power of God unto salvation to them that believe".
But then, there is the spiritual gift of faith (1 Cor 12:9) which is given to some believers, and this would probably be an extraordinary faith to accomplish things for God. But we should also keep in mind that all one needs is faith as a grain of mustard seed in order to move mountains.
Faith is generated by the Gospel itself, which is called "the Word of God", so faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (Rom 10:17). But the Gospel is never allowed to remain in isolation from the Holy Spirit, who convinces sinners that Christ died for them according to the Scripture, and rose again for their justification according to the Scriptures. And this is "saving faith". Whenever the full and true Gospel is preached, it is "the power of God unto salvation to them that believe".
All things come from God by grace. So to answer the question, it is our faith with
help of our Lord, Jesus Christ.
I never heard this teaching anywhere but on this site too.
I wonder how this reflects on word of faither's who believe that it IS the faith of the person who decides whether or not God grants them their desires or what they say they have in order to get what they say they have (confusing)
faith, IMO, as indicated in scripture certainly appears to be our part in believing what God tells us, but we are also told that if we lack faith, we should ask.
Jesus also talks about faith as small as a mustard seed and He says if YOU have that faith..which indicates that is NOT the faith of Jesus
if we all had what some are calling the faith of Jesus, seems to me we would not lack any faith
2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.If the faith belong to Jesus, it must be perfect and no sin anymore. The fact we still sin, prove it is our faith
So true 7seas,
All throughout the word we are told to do all by faith; our faith. Not Jesus' faith.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for with the conviction of things not seen. I hope I'm paraphrasing that correctly.That's our faith, Jesus sees all, knows all; there's nothing He hasn't seen.
I'm wondering if anyone knows where this teaching originated from. Zi thinks it's Kenneth Copeland, but she's not sure of that. Someone mentioned reformed, but I don't think they go quite that far as to say all is Jesus' faith and not our own.
If Christians can't agree on fundamentals, then we are of all men most miserable.I don't often agree with Nehemiah, but he hit the nail right on the head there..
If Christians can't agree on fundamentals, then we are of all men most miserable.
It is our faith in his work, His promises, and his faithfulness. I.e., it is a total lack of faith in self.
Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
The faith that pleases God is perfect faith. Man's faith cannot be perfect or he would save himself. God gives faith through His word both written and manifest in the person of Jesus Christ.
Those who err in the faith and those who fall away from the faith are not in the faith created by God. Salvation and service require the faith of Christ created by the word of God and the Holy Spirit. Perfect faith that endures for all of eternity. Perfect faith that has the attributes of God as it's own attributes.
The heart of man Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
For the cause of Christ
Roger
This issue really seems to come down to the KJV versus other translations. There is enough evidence in any version to show clearly that the faith which saves is the faith which is put in the finished work of Christ; I don't think that is the issue though.
Even in the KJV there are examples where it is said, "Your faith has..." with a good result such as healing. As I see it, those who advocate for the KJV version of particular verses as being the final word need to distinguish clearly between faith that results in healing (or whatever else) and faith which results in salvation. Personally, I don't see any justification for the distinction.