Why are prayers unanswered?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
What a bunch of useless assertions -- it's akin to being told by a Muslim that Allah is the greatest of all the gods and that you must serve him. Being told this, you'd simply reject it on the basis of "no argument given".

Your only argument is that "the world divides the common era along the birthdate of Jesus", which has a perfectly natural explanation. Constantine claimed to be a Christian, and as ruler of his world, he set this is place. It wasn't because "the whole world" agreed with him, but because he alone had the power to make it happen. Contrast this with the current movement in science and history that has taken the religiosity out of "BC" and "AD" by changing them to "BCE" and "CE"... this clearly isn't because "the whole world" suddenly believed that Jesus shouldn't be the dividing line, but because the people who wrought this change had the power and motive to make it happen.

And your last line, that truth is a choice, is idiotic. The truth is observed, not made. Some evidence is stronger than other evidence, and philosophers have worked hard to define what constitutes "strong evidence", as well as tease out better methods for discovering it. Presumption always has been and still is a poor way to divine the truth, because literally anything can be presumed, whether or not it's true.

You seek what is tangible, as the physical flesh does and can't see the invisible. Sorry you are not seeing this and to each their own, yet my eyes, not physical ones are fixed on:
2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Thank you for your post and honesty, as it shows to me you are a doubting Thomas, as most of the world is. But regardless truth is truth, Christ died for you to. Then rose again in order to give new life in God's Spirit, if one believes this, Praying for you to see past the temporary physical world
Love you
 
Can I say thanks to all of you on this thread. I enjoyed reading through the thread. I also want to just add that I know God answers prayers too. I know he loves me enough to some times say no, or wait, or you need to look at other options. This last week I have caught my two year old out on the road twice. She is so fast and just takes off before I even realize she is gone. I tell her that she can't go out there even though she wants to because its dangerous and she could get hurt or killed. I try to teach her why she shouldn't go out there and why she should do something else, but she only sees me not giving her what she wants when she wants it. I think we are like 2 year-olds in God's eyes. We think he just doesn't let us have what we want when we want it, but in reality, he has some understanding that we don't. If we listen, we will be protected and enjoy the blessings he can give us if we listen.

Amen, Amen again and again, thank you, some clear understanding what trusting in the living God is, Thank You
 
I have a simple question that some other people might have about Melchizedek. He had to be either Shem (Noah's son) or Christ Himself. Which one was He, or is he neither? Anybody can contribute, not just you buddy (homewardbound):D

Thanks, I believe he was and is Christ without Father and without Mother in physical form, yet later born through the Virgin Mary, to redeem us from our sins, since no flesh could ever and still can't. Raised back to life and justified in the Spirit, purpose to kill flesh and male us alive in the Spirit of God through that resurrection of Christ is from the beginning as God is Spirit and can only be worshipped in Spirit and truth (John 4). Faith of Abraham, is His believing in God brought forth Abraham's works, hearing the voice of God. This is an amazing Salvation, where God took care of it all for us through our high Priest Christ in the order of Mel. Yes I do think and believe this Mel that showed up is and was the Christ and Abraham knew this by Faith in God. Then what God told Abraham what to do in sacrificing his Son. Abraham went to do and willingly, putting nothing before God. So what God said to not do in that Abraham was willing to do, God did himself with God's own Son, Jesus and rose him from the dead, Just as Abraham said that he can and would if God so desired, Abraham said, God can raise his Son from the dead, if he did kill him.
What Faith yes. So yes God is the same today, yesterday and forever. Just as God's first Mercy Sacrifice was an animal to clothe Adam and Eve. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Should we all not have some. I owed a debt that I could never pay, never balance the scales. Seeing what this means and receiving Mercy, who am I to not love or forgive anyone else. The same, today, yesterday and forever.
Maybe it is time to respond in thankfulness and praises in receiving this amazing Mercy through the Cross of Christ. And quit trying to balance the scales, and see it is done so we can love as God does love automatically from God through the Spirit that God imputed in us. Time to ask for God to do the living through us as Christ showed so well. Did as Father asked period, led by the Spirit. Hmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait a minute I got to do something right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! believe and be who God called you to be, in him safe and secure in the midst of the adversity we all face here on earth
So then are we or can we be believing God be content in all things?
 
Thanks, I believe he was and is Christ without Father and without Mother in physical form, yet later born through the Virgin Mary, to redeem us from our sins, since no flesh could ever and still can't. Raised back to life and justified in the Spirit, purpose to kill flesh and male us alive in the Spirit of God through that resurrection of Christ is from the beginning as God is Spirit and can only be worshipped in Spirit and truth (John 4). Faith of Abraham, is His believing in God brought forth Abraham's works, hearing the voice of God. This is an amazing Salvation, where God took care of it all for us through our high Priest Christ in the order of Mel. Yes I do think and believe this Mel that showed up is and was the Christ and Abraham knew this by Faith in God. Then what God told Abraham what to do in sacrificing his Son. Abraham went to do and willingly, putting nothing before God. So what God said to not do in that Abraham was willing to do, God did himself with God's own Son, Jesus and rose him from the dead, Just as Abraham said that he can and would if God so desired, Abraham said, God can raise his Son from the dead, if he did kill him.
What Faith yes. So yes God is the same today, yesterday and forever. Just as God's first Mercy Sacrifice was an animal to clothe Adam and Eve. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Should we all not have some. I owed a debt that I could never pay, never balance the scales. Seeing what this means and receiving Mercy, who am I to not love or forgive anyone else. The same, today, yesterday and forever.
Maybe it is time to respond in thankfulness and praises in receiving this amazing Mercy through the Cross of Christ. And quit trying to balance the scales, and see it is done so we can love as God does love automatically from God through the Spirit that God imputed in us. Time to ask for God to do the living through us as Christ showed so well. Did as Father asked period, led by the Spirit. Hmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait a minute I got to do something right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! believe and be who God called you to be, in him safe and secure in the midst of the adversity we all face here on earth
So then are we or can we be believing God be content in all things?

Without going through all the machinations, Christ was Melchisidec. He allowed the human sons of Aaron to be the Priesthood for a physical nation that was not given the Holy Spirit or the promise of eternal life and then became the High Priest again at His resurrection from the dead.
 
Thanks, I believe he was and is Christ without Father and without Mother in physical form, yet later born through the Virgin Mary, to redeem us from our sins, since no flesh could ever and still can't. Raised back to life and justified in the Spirit, purpose to kill flesh and male us alive in the Spirit of God through that resurrection of Christ is from the beginning as God is Spirit and can only be worshipped in Spirit and truth (John 4). Faith of Abraham, is His believing in God brought forth Abraham's works, hearing the voice of God. This is an amazing Salvation, where God took care of it all for us through our high Priest Christ in the order of Mel. Yes I do think and believe this Mel that showed up is and was the Christ and Abraham knew this by Faith in God. Then what God told Abraham what to do in sacrificing his Son. Abraham went to do and willingly, putting nothing before God. So what God said to not do in that Abraham was willing to do, God did himself with God's own Son, Jesus and rose him from the dead, Just as Abraham said that he can and would if God so desired, Abraham said, God can raise his Son from the dead, if he did kill him.
What Faith yes. So yes God is the same today, yesterday and forever. Just as God's first Mercy Sacrifice was an animal to clothe Adam and Eve. Mercy, Mercy, Mercy. Should we all not have some. I owed a debt that I could never pay, never balance the scales. Seeing what this means and receiving Mercy, who am I to not love or forgive anyone else. The same, today, yesterday and forever.
Maybe it is time to respond in thankfulness and praises in receiving this amazing Mercy through the Cross of Christ. And quit trying to balance the scales, and see it is done so we can love as God does love automatically from God through the Spirit that God imputed in us. Time to ask for God to do the living through us as Christ showed so well. Did as Father asked period, led by the Spirit. Hmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wait a minute I got to do something right? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! believe and be who God called you to be, in him safe and secure in the midst of the adversity we all face here on earth
So then are we or can we be believing God be content in all things?

Good stuff brother. When I read the Bible in the Old Testament, I see a score of scriptures pertaining to an angel who is not specifically named who appear and talk to patriarchs. One instance is the 3 angels talking to Abraham (Abram). One stays with Abram, and the other 2 go to Sodom to visit Lot and his family. I think the one that stayed with Abram is Jesus Himself. Later, when Abraham visits Salem, he seems to be very well acquainted with Melchizedek.
 
Without going through all the machinations, Christ was Melchisidec. He allowed the human sons of Aaron to be the Priesthood for a physical nation that was not given the Holy Spirit or the promise of eternal life and then became the High Priest again at His resurrection from the dead.

Good stuff brother. Could we then say that Jesus Christ actually gave the law to Moses?

Colossians 1:15-16 (KJV)

[SUP]15 [/SUP]Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
[SUP]16 [/SUP]For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
 
This is why we fast. We do not fast to cause God to see things our way, we fast to see things God's way...

Absolutely true! Thanks for bringing that out! We should be focusing on Him who answers prayer rather than what we want from Him.
 
Seek Ye first the kingdom of God .
God will not be tested or mocked .
Our creator is so far ahead and above our comprehension their are many answers to this and the first is more of a question than an answer. What is the prayer asking ? Selfless prayers are more often answered than not . God is God and his perfect love is flowing , waiting to act on our behalf . Faith of mustard seed . Works without faith are dead .
Our will is often self serving . Thy will be done . It's not our decision he who sent me is my redeamer. Blessed art thou lord our God king of the universe .Jesus had acted for the unbeliever to see and believe. God wants us to pray and trust in him .The answer is the question.
 
Good stuff brother. Could we then say that Jesus Christ actually gave the law to Moses?

Colossians 1:15-16 (KJV)

[SUP]15 [/SUP]Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
[SUP]16 [/SUP]For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

I think so, and I see this as either we can worship at the Law given to Moses, or at the Law Giver
John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.
 
Absolutely true! Thanks for bringing that out! We should be focusing on Him who answers prayer rather than what we want from Him.


"Comfort God by letting God know that you would see God just to dwell in God's Presence. Not for teaching, not for material gain, not even for a message, but for God. The longing of the human heart to be loved for itself is something caught from the Great Divine Heart."
 
Good stuff brother. Could we then say that Jesus Christ actually gave the law to Moses?

Colossians 1:15-16 (KJV)

[SUP]15 [/SUP]Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
[SUP]16 [/SUP]For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

We know it to be a fact...

Joh 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

No one has ever seen or heard the Father. Christ said that He came to reveal the Father. Wiht this in mind, let's continue...

The LORD (I have come to use the term Eternal for this, that is what the name means) talked with Adam and Eve, the Eternal appeared to Abraham...

Gen 18:13 And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?
Gen 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

Who was this?

Joh 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

He appeared to Moses as "I AM"...

Exo 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Joh 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
Joh 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
Joh 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Notice the word he is italicised? Means it was not in the original. It was added by the translators (they added words because Hebrew and Greek do not lend themselves to transliteration). Jesus Said He was 'I AM". This is why they fell backwards, they knew who "I AM" was.

And just one more passage...

1Co 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
1Co 10:2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
1Co 10:3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
1Co 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

There is no doubt who was the God who spoke the Law to Moses, it was Christ.
 
I think so, and I see this as either we can worship at the Law given to Moses, or at the Law Giver
John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.

Good point. The law giver is to be esteemed. The Words He said, should never be neglected. I think that prayers are not answered because of that neglect, not on God's part, but on our part. If we neglect His Word, how does one know what to ask and acknowledge according to His Name? John 14:13-14 (KJV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP]And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Some people say that God just says no to prayers. This is true to a certain extent, but when He says "no" we are obviously not asking "whatsoever" in His name. So saying "no" (according to my opinion) is the same as Him not hearing. I'd rather use the term that is in scripture rather than say that He answers all prayers, but He answers "no" to some.
 
Last edited:
i just want to add this:Dan 10vs12. Then said he unto me,fear not Daniel for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand and to chasten thyself before thy GOD, thy words were heard and i am come for thy words.
Vs19- but the prince of the kingdom of persia withstood me for 21days. Im nt preaching i just want us to understand that prayers said according to His will are answered but sometimes...dan 10 vs12-13.
 
Good point. The law giver is to be esteemed. The Words He said, should never be neglected. I think that prayers are not answered because of that neglect, not on God's part, but on our part. If we neglect His Word, how does one know what to ask and acknowledge according to His Name? John 14:13-14 (KJV)
[SUP]13 [/SUP]And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Some people say that God just says no to prayers. This is true to a certain extent, but when He says "no" we are obviously not asking "whatsoever" in His name. So saying "no" (according to my opinion) is the same as Him not hearing. I'd rather use the term that is in scripture rather than say that He answers all prayers, but He answers "no" to some.

Yes and yes, so here it is from James:
[h=3]James 4[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

4 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? [SUP]2 [/SUP]Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. [SUP]3[/SUP]Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? [SUP]6 [/SUP]But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. [SUP]7 [/SUP]Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [SUP]8 [/SUP]Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. [SUP]9 [/SUP]Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. [SUP]10 [/SUP]Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. [SUP]12 [/SUP]There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
[SUP]13 [/SUP]Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: [SUP]14 [/SUP]whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. [SUP]15 [/SUP]For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. [SUP]16 [/SUP]But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. [SUP]17 [/SUP]Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
 
i just want to add this:Dan 10vs12. Then said he unto me,fear not Daniel for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand and to chasten thyself before thy GOD, thy words were heard and i am come for thy words.
Vs19- but the prince of the kingdom of persia withstood me for 21days. Im nt preaching i just want us to understand that prayers said according to His will are answered but sometimes...dan 10 vs12-13.

therefore we are to count:
James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

And we can if we trust God to work out all things, no matter what it appears to look like in front of us for now.
 
I had pretty much given up on this thread but I have to tell you what happened today because it involves prayer. About 5 years ago we bought a new mattress and box spring to replace the one we had for around 20 years. Already it is sagging in the middle and you could tell exactly where each of us slept. So much for memory foam - it remembered too well! I know memory foam works great for a lot of people but not us, I guess. Anyway my husband kept waking up very stiff and downright sore every morning - every morning that he hadn't spent the night before on the couch because he couldn't get comfortable in the bed. About 3 weeks ago we went to Wal-mart and saw queen size Beautyrest mattresses for $399 and we came home and prayed about it, asking God if we should buy or not. It seemed He was ignoring us, because we didn't fell like He was saying, "No, absolutely not." But we definitely were not getting a "yes" from Him, so we didn't buy. This morning the not sleeping and pain issue was very real again so I prayed again and we went the 2 miles to Wal-mart to see if they still had some of those mattresses. They had sold all of the twin size but still had all 4 of the queen size . I looked at the price and it was $299 today! So, it appears God's answer this time was to wait a little while and He would see to it that we spent $100 less than we would have a few weeks ago. And since He answers prayer so He is glorified, I can only give glory to Him for His loving care for us, His children!

 
therefore we are to count:
James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

And we can if we trust God to work out all things, no matter what it appears to look like in front of us for now.


This post brings back memories of my struggles to understand why "divers temptations" happened to Christians.

I think the hardest lesson for me to learn was the one about why Christians suffer and have problems in this life. At one time I had begun to feel like we had the corner on the market as far as suffering and tribulation. If it wasn't one thing, it was another two or three. I could have sent out invitations to my little pity party but I didn't need any help finding things to complain about or question God, “Why?” I had self pity to spare. I had slipped into this same crevice many times before, eventually pulling out of it, yet never learning how to avoid ending up there in the first place. My last journey down to the pits of self pity lasted a couple of weeks before I finally began to hear my Jesus gently beckoning. He wanted to teach me a very important principle. At last I was ready to listen and learn.To begin with, He led me to the first chapter of James and opened up the meaning of that as if I had never read it before. “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting . My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; James 1:1-2 As soon as I got to the second verse I was already telling God I didn't understand how to “count it all joy” when I fell into various “temptations”.First of all, why does God tempt me – I thought that was the devil's job. Lesson 1: God doesn't tempt us. (Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: James 1:13) The word “temptations” here means “testings”. I conceded that since God created me, He has the right to test me. But how do I “count it all joy?” I mean for real, count it all joy. I could say with anyone that we have to count our trials as joy but actually doing it is a different story. I couldn't help but think of old Abraham trudging up that mountain, knowing God had asked him to kill his son as a sacrifice. Its common knowledge now, thousands of years later, that God was testing Abraham. However, I'm sure it was much easier for that old saint of God to count the whole experience as joy as he and Isaac made their way back down the mountain together after sacrificing the ram God had provided at the last minute. If the Lord would give a man like Abraham, the “friend of God” (“And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.” James 2:23) such difficult testings, there is no reason to think I should have it easy. To make sure I really comprehended this point He led me to a few more passages of scripture: Psalm 11:5, , John 15:2 , and I Peter 1:7.Verse 3 of the first chapter of James says that the trying of my faith is supposed to help me develop patience, something like doing push-ups develops biceps. Apparently, this is important too, because the Father sent me to Romans 5:3, Luke 8:15,Ephesians 4:2, I Timothy 6:11, Titus 2:2, Hebrews 12:1, James 3:10, Romans 12:12, and II Timothy 2:24 . This too, I filed away in my mind. Granted, its good to have patience but why is it so important?Verse 4 says to let patience work that I may be “perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” Me – perfect? Now that would be a miracle! This doesn't mean perfect like I automatically thought of it to mean. Instead, perfect here means “mature”. I was beginning to understand, but just to make sure I had this part too, God sent me to Job 23:10 and Psalm 66:10-13 . I began to think there might be hope for me now that I knew perfect didn't mean flawless!Then came the finale, verse 12. In order to get the full picture I had to go to the dictionary for the word “endure”. To me it meant hanging on somehow until the crisis passed. I should have known its more than that. Webster's Dictionary defines “endure” as “to bear without breaking or yielding, to bear without sinking under the pressure, to suffer without yielding, to continue in the same state without perishing.” This implies strength, not merely surviving. To help me put all of the pieces in place the Lord showed me more scripture. James 5:11, Lamentations 3:31-33, Habakkuk 3:17-19, and Isaiah 43:2 (Notice the first word here in is “when”, not “if”). As I sat meditating on all of this our gracious Lord topped the whole lesson off with a few more priceless nuggets of His wisdom. We go through these various trials not only so He can teach us things for our own good, but to prepare us to help others. If God gives us trials, He must consider us worthy of working for Him. Matthew 22:14 says that “many are called, but few are chosen”, simply because few are willing to really work for God, and He of course knows who the truly willing workers are. Thus, the willing workers are likely to undergo more intensive training – more trials to “worketh patience”. The training is tough, but I have yet to experience anything quite as wonderful as knowing God has used me in some way or another.
 
What people often forget is that it is all about having a relationship.

Let's say you come to my dad and ask him to borrow you R200 - approximately $20.
He would immediately say no. If you don't listen. You would simply say he didn't give you $20.
Why? He doesn't know you. He doesn't have a relationship with you.

Now if I were to go to my dad and ask him for $20. He would immediately ask why?
Me, being his son, already knows He is going to respond that way, so I would have an answer ready for why I would need it.
If my argument is valid and has merit. My dad will willingly give me $20 if he thought it was a good idea. On the other hand he might also give me conditions that goes along with it, or even just simply say no. Knowing my dad. I know the things he would immediately say no to and I don't even have to ask him. For I already know his answer. Therefore I'm not gonna waist his time.

In like way it is with God. You need to ask out of relationship. And then wait and listen to what His response is. Most of the time the response is more important than you receiving what you want. If God feels that it is good for you and that your argument has merit, then He will say yes. And with that yes comes the authority for it. But sometimes there are conditions to it and sometimes the answer is no. Sometimes God first wants to know more about how you feel before He answers you on what YOU think is important and build more a closer bond with you.
 


This post brings back memories of my struggles to understand why "divers temptations" happened to Christians.

I think the hardest lesson for me to learn was the one about why Christians suffer and have problems in this life. At one time I had begun to feel like we had the corner on the market as far as suffering and tribulation. If it wasn't one thing, it was another two or three. I could have sent out invitations to my little pity party but I didn't need any help finding things to complain about or question God, “Why?” I had self pity to spare. I had slipped into this same crevice many times before, eventually pulling out of it, yet never learning how to avoid ending up there in the first place. My last journey down to the pits of self pity lasted a couple of weeks before I finally began to hear my Jesus gently beckoning. He wanted to teach me a very important principle. At last I was ready to listen and learn.To begin with, He led me to the first chapter of James and opened up the meaning of that as if I had never read it before. “James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting . My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; James 1:1-2 As soon as I got to the second verse I was already telling God I didn't understand how to “count it all joy” when I fell into various “temptations”.First of all, why does God tempt me – I thought that was the devil's job. Lesson 1: God doesn't tempt us. (Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: James 1:13) The word “temptations” here means “testings”. I conceded that since God created me, He has the right to test me. But how do I “count it all joy?” I mean for real, count it all joy. I could say with anyone that we have to count our trials as joy but actually doing it is a different story. I couldn't help but think of old Abraham trudging up that mountain, knowing God had asked him to kill his son as a sacrifice. Its common knowledge now, thousands of years later, that God was testing Abraham. However, I'm sure it was much easier for that old saint of God to count the whole experience as joy as he and Isaac made their way back down the mountain together after sacrificing the ram God had provided at the last minute. If the Lord would give a man like Abraham, the “friend of God” (“And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.” James 2:23) such difficult testings, there is no reason to think I should have it easy. To make sure I really comprehended this point He led me to a few more passages of scripture: Psalm 11:5, , John 15:2 , and I Peter 1:7.Verse 3 of the first chapter of James says that the trying of my faith is supposed to help me develop patience, something like doing push-ups develops biceps. Apparently, this is important too, because the Father sent me to Romans 5:3, Luke 8:15,Ephesians 4:2, I Timothy 6:11, Titus 2:2, Hebrews 12:1, James 3:10, Romans 12:12, and II Timothy 2:24 . This too, I filed away in my mind. Granted, its good to have patience but why is it so important?Verse 4 says to let patience work that I may be “perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” Me – perfect? Now that would be a miracle! This doesn't mean perfect like I automatically thought of it to mean. Instead, perfect here means “mature”. I was beginning to understand, but just to make sure I had this part too, God sent me to Job 23:10 and Psalm 66:10-13 . I began to think there might be hope for me now that I knew perfect didn't mean flawless!Then came the finale, verse 12. In order to get the full picture I had to go to the dictionary for the word “endure”. To me it meant hanging on somehow until the crisis passed. I should have known its more than that. Webster's Dictionary defines “endure” as “to bear without breaking or yielding, to bear without sinking under the pressure, to suffer without yielding, to continue in the same state without perishing.” This implies strength, not merely surviving. To help me put all of the pieces in place the Lord showed me more scripture. James 5:11, Lamentations 3:31-33, Habakkuk 3:17-19, and Isaiah 43:2 (Notice the first word here in is “when”, not “if”). As I sat meditating on all of this our gracious Lord topped the whole lesson off with a few more priceless nuggets of His wisdom. We go through these various trials not only so He can teach us things for our own good, but to prepare us to help others. If God gives us trials, He must consider us worthy of working for Him. Matthew 22:14 says that “many are called, but few are chosen”, simply because few are willing to really work for God, and He of course knows who the truly willing workers are. Thus, the willing workers are likely to undergo more intensive training – more trials to “worketh patience”. The training is tough, but I have yet to experience anything quite as wonderful as knowing God has used me in some way or another.

Yes, all things:
[h=3]Romans 8:28[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[SUP]28 [/SUP]And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
 
Isayah 59:1-4, "Behold, Yahweh's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your own iniquities have separated you from your Father; and your own sins have caused Him to hide His face from you, cso He will not listen. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity. Your lips have spoken lies, your tongue has muttered perverseness. No one calls for justice, nor does any plead for truth. They trust in vanity and speak lies. They conceive mischief and give birth to evil."

___________________________