Why Are So Many Christians Still Single?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
The false prosperity gospel of marriage bothers me. The illogical desire for marriage without a partner to begin with bothers me. These are false teachings fill good hearts with unrealistic expectations and lead people astray.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but nobody has ever taught me a "prosperity gospel" wherein God promises marriage to any Christian. The Bible nowhere contains such a promise.

And marriage is supposed to be a good thing and a blessing, so it's understandable why lots of people would have the general desire for it. Nowhere in the Bible is this desire condemned.

If nobody had the desire for marriage, well, then nobody would get married in the first place, would they?
 
  • Heart
Reactions: CarriePie
Well, I can only speak for myself, but nobody has ever taught me a "prosperity gospel" wherein God promises marriage to any Christian. The Bible nowhere contains such a promise.

And marriage is supposed to be a good thing and a blessing, so it's understandable why lots of people would have the general desire for it. Nowhere in the Bible is this desire condemned.

If nobody had the desire for marriage, well, then nobody would get married in the first place, would they?
I don't see how is it a natural desire to divide all your property with another person you barely know.
 
I don't see how is it a natural desire to divide all your property with another person you barely know.

You know marriage involves more elements that sharing your physical possessions, right? :ROFL:

You're also aware that, when people get married, they're usually not strangers that barely know each other, right? :ROFL:

And yes, the desire for romance/marriage/sex is not all for many people, even if you, personally, lack it. As crazy as it sounds, not everyone on Earth is exactly like you, not are they required to be.
 
Many pages over many days in multiple threads, and still you two persist. Is there anything y'all have not yet said on this topic?

I have even run out of analogies. The soap opera one comes to mind, but I have used it before. That is how long this thing has been going on.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Churchgoer
You know marriage involves more elements that sharing your physical possessions, right? :ROFL:

You're also aware that, when people get married, they're usually not strangers that barely know each other, right? :ROFL:

And yes, the desire for romance/marriage/sex is not all for many people, even if you, personally, lack it. As crazy as it sounds, not everyone on Earth is exactly like you, not are they required to be.
There's no other elements if principles on property couldn't be established. Why would I share my property which I earned with blood sweat and tears, and even my parents' property they worked their entire lives for, with another person, who could take half or more of it away at any time for any reason or no reason at all?

Yes, marriage is ordained by God, so is governments who set such draconian terms. Not everyone is exactly naive like you. I have faith in God, I have no faith in the system, an that's why I have faith in God.
 
There's no other elements if principles on property couldn't be established. Why would I share my property which I earned with blood sweat and tears, and even my parents' property they worked their entire lives for, with another person, who could take half or more of it away at any time for any reason or no reason at all?

Yes, marriage is ordained by God, so is governments who set such draconian terms. Not everyone is exactly naive like you. I have faith in God, I have no faith in the system, an that's why I have faith in God.
This is why it is better to get married young, while either one has too much wealth, start together, half and half. 😄
 
  • Pray
Reactions: seoulsearch
Not sure and probably do not care. Her example resonates, and that may be because of lonely betas seeking females with low-bar expectations. Female with heartbeat and available. It sounds like she has suitors, and none of them are good enough but does she enjoy the attention? Who knows.

I agree that there was definitely something off-putting about her. Since you're new here then maybe you don't realize what a pastime it has become to post a clip of some random crazy woman doing random crazy stuff, and use it as an indictment against women in general. As if we were all thinking and acting as one common being.

I could find random clips of men behaving badly and post them here but that would be rude and unkind towards my brothers on this forum, mist of whom conduct themselves with class and respect.

Anyways... ya done set off JohndB. 🤦‍♀️ Now he's going to spend all his spare time finding clips of naughty women to post. And he's a boomer so no comprehension of rage-bait.... someone needs to give him a crash course in internets 101 I tell ya. 🤦‍♀️

I apologize it I was too rough. You're new here so I'll try to keep that in mind. But us gals are getting pretty tired of the endless parade of "look how terrible women are!". Most of the ladies here are quite classy and do not trash men in general but we would love to have the same courtesy 🙏
 
This is why it is better to get married young, while either one has too much wealth, start together, half and half. 😄
Then bring back arranged marriages and public courtship. Dating as a grand social experiment of the 20th century is a total failure, as it has deviated from God's original design for marriage in Gen. 2.
 
There's no other elements if principles on property couldn't be established. Why would I share my property which I earned with blood sweat and tears, and even my parents' property they worked their entire lives for, with another person, who could take half or more of it away at any time for any reason or no reason at all?

Yes, marriage is ordained by God, so is governments who set such draconian terms. Not everyone is exactly naive like you. I have faith in God, I have no faith in the system, an that's why I have faith in God.

Good news, Lovette! You don't have to do any of these things. You can stay single if the prospect of marriage is that terrifying or seems that unrealistic.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to convince you to get married. :LOL:
 
Good news, Lovette! You don't have to do any of these things. You can stay single if the prospect of marriage is that terrifying or seems that unrealistic.

Don't worry, I'm not trying to convince you to get married. :LOL:
Bad news, dating as a grand social experiment of the 20th century has been proven as a total failture, because it has deviated from God's original design for marriage in every regard. You either advocate for dating or for God's design for marriage, you can't have both. This is about what marriage has become of, not what I want or not.
 
Bad news, dating as a grand social experiment of the 20th century has been proven as a total failture, because it has deviated from God's original design for marriage in every regard. You either advocate for dating or for God's design for marriage, you can't have both.

All the happily married Christian couples that have married and started families that I know met through dating. And yet it's a total failure. Sure, OK.

What do you interpret as God's original design for marriage that we should all emulate today? God putting men to sleep and fashioning wives out of their ribs? The way David claimed Michal? What's your preferred method?
 
All the happily married Christian couples that have married and started families that I know met through dating. And yet it's a total failure. Sure, OK.

What do you interpret as God's original design for marriage that we should all emulate today? God putting men to sleep and fashioning wives out of their ribs? The way David claimed Michal? What's your preferred method?
Go study Gen. 2 yourself. God made His preferred method, not me.
 
So modern-day Christian men should, in fact, wait for God to put them to sleep so that He can fashion a wife out of their ribs? :LOL:
Again, God made His preferred method, not me. The God I know is the God of all ages, despite any modern progress. Wait or not is up to you, the result of whatever you aim for is up to God.
 
Again, God made His preferred method, not me. The God I know is the God of all ages, despite any modern progress. Wait or not is up to you, the result of whatever you aim for is up to God.

So this method is your preferred solution to the modern dating "mess"?

Also, if some Christians do date and then end up in happy, healthy marriages, does that mean God made that happen? Or no?
 
There's no other elements if principles on property couldn't be established. Why would I share my property which I earned with blood sweat and tears, and even my parents' property they worked their entire lives for, with another person, who could take half or more of it away at any time for any reason or no reason at all?

Yes, marriage is ordained by God, so is governments who set such draconian terms. Not everyone is exactly naive like you. I have faith in God, I have no faith in the system, an that's why I have faith in God.


Can't you have a prenup to make sure your property doesn't end up with your spouse but to your family?


🕊️