That everyone seems to skip?
First of all, I'm an atheist. I was Christian but as I grew up, I realized that I don't believe in God. It doesn't make sense to me.
Anyway, even though I'm not a believer, I find religions very interesting. One of my 2018 goals is to read the bible, the whole thing. So yesterday I started and already on the first pages I found something very questionable in Genesis. The woman was created for the man? And the man dominates the woman? What?
I won't even start with Leviticus.
I also wonder why so many Christians never read the bible. How can you believe in something when you haven't even read your holy book?
So please tell me, how can you believe in something that has so many questionable things?
Welcome to CC! I am glad you found us!
I was also raised a "Christian" meaning Christian values and a Baptist Sunday school for a few years. I think I had glimmers of the truth of God, when I was a child, but I was not born from above. I started reading the KJV when I was 12, in the Psalms. Loved it, but the language was too bogged down. Try and read a newer translation, preferably in German, your native language, or "heart" language.
By the time I was 16, I was a complete atheist. I did not live morally, made stupid decisions, and it is by the grace of God I am here to tell you my story. When I was 21, I realized there had to be "something" more, and decided I did not know everything, and that perhaps I better be agnostic. In other words, admitting I didn't know everything. That set me looking to find out if there was "a god." I read all the holy books of the great religions, including the Qur'an and the Baghavad Gita. I meditated with Buddhists. I danced with Sufis. I got involved in some New Age cults.
Meanwhile, there was a revival in the area I lived in. It was weird! Everyone was telling me to believe in Jesus! Well, I knew they believed what they believed, but how could I believe? I just didn't believe Jesus was real. But, because my grandmother was a Christian, I got a modern English translation and started to read the New Testament. (My advice is to read Genesis to chapter 11, then jump to the gospel of John, in the NT, and then read the other gospels, and the rest of the NT. Leviticus - well, it isn't really for us, those laws were for the Levites and priest, to they could be pure before a holy God. The principle is there, but no need to follow all those rules, like not wearing a garment made of of 2 different fibres, etc. That is context, but that is a whole different thread!)
As I read the NT, I could not understand a word! I had circles all of the page for stuff that didn't make sense, and BIG question marks! The whole thing made no sense! Meanwhile, people kept telling me I needed Jesus. I became a little defensive, too. Then, I met my future husband, who was a Christian. He told me the missing part of the gospel.
He told me about all the people in the Bible that Jesus forgave for their sins. We talked all night about people who sinned, and how God turned them around. Then he told me I needed to repent of my sins! Wow! No one mentioned that before! And I was a major sinner, and knew it! But, then I learned in Romans, we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
"for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NET
At that point, God opened the heavens and spoke to me. He told me he was real, and that he was the Saviour of the world (John 3:16). He told me to serve him, and to read my Bible!
This was not some drug trip, or hallucination! This was stone cold sober, and a voice I can still hear today! God saved me! I have been following him ever since. (Although I did spend a few years in the desert, when I was very ill, but God never left me!)
I opened up the Bible, and started reading the passages in the New Testament I had read before! Suddenly, it made sense! It was about Jesus. All those circles and question marks made sense! They were about Jesus!
So that was 37 years ago. I have read the Bible over 50 times in English, in many versions. I have read the Bible completely in French twice, my second language. I also have read parts of the OT in Hebrew, and most of the NT in Greek. Those languages I learned in seminary. God called me to seminary, and there I learned so much more. And yes, I had questions about things in the OT, too! I had professors to ask, books to read and study! And I just kept reading the Bible over and over. And God always has showed me the answers to my questions.
Today, my hope and prayer is that on your read-through-the-Bible, you will not just find words and questions, but you will find Jesus. Jesus who lived and died, and was raised from the dead. And who loves you, and is calling you, even now.
"because if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and thus has righteousness and with the mouth one confesses and thus has salvation." Romans 10:9-10
"For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him" John 3:16-17
[FONT="]
[/FONT]