Why can't we love each other?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EvaC123

Aug 23, 2018
I consider myself a catholic, I believe in confession, the power of prayer, communion, baptism, confirmation, saints, but I don't believe that using contraception is sinful, or that pre-marital sex is sinful or that divorce is sinful, I do not think gay marriage is a sin, I believe in loving thy neighbour and I believe that if you are a good and honest person god will love you, but this website seems like a hostile environment I just want to talk about god and how to hold onto faith in hard times

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is the Introductions forum. Your OP is better suited for the Bible Discussion forum..

Welcome to CC. :)

U

Ugly

I consider myself a catholic, I believe in confession, the power of prayer, communion, baptism, confirmation, saints, but I don't believe that using contraception is sinful, or that pre-marital sex is sinful or that divorce is sinful, I do not think gay marriage is a sin, I believe in loving thy neighbour and I believe that if you are a good and honest person god will love you, but this website seems like a hostile environment I just want to talk about god and how to hold onto faith in hard times
It is hostile.
And you being catholic and the Official stance of the site and the view of most users is catholic is not Christian. And you subscribe to beliefs clearly defined as sin using a subjective morality base. Not likely you'll do too well here talking about God with others when half your beliefs are opposite most on this site.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Welcome, EvaC :)

Your thread title belies your opening post. The reason we cannot simply "love one another" is that we don't all believe the same things. "Love" is popularly defined as uncritical acceptance, encouragement, and support. That isn't a biblically-based definition.

Hostility has nothing to do with it. However, there again, the popular definition of "hostility" is anything that hurts "my" feelings. Well, I don't recall reading that in the Bible either. Truth and love are two sides of the same coin. Jesus wasn't "nice" to people who tried to make their own alternate "truths" (like the Pharisees).

So if by your title, you mean, "Why can't we all just accept, encourage and support one another without criticism, disagreement, or hurting each other's feelings?" it's because we do, in fact, disagree and we don't actually consider "acceptable" all of each other's views. We can do a better job of avoiding the overt hostility though.

You're certainly welcome to participate, but I would encourage you to dig into the Bible and allow it to define your worldview, rather than allowing popular culture to define it. Lots of folks here have been through hard times, so you'll probably find what you're looking for. I'd suggest the Family, Singles, and Miscellaneous forums as the least contentious. :)

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Hello and welcome may God bless and guide you .

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Hi! Welcome to CC :) Glad to meet you 😊

God bless you ❤

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
That was her only post. Chased that heretic away fast enough!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Her spiritual status says "Christian", yet here she says she identifies as catholic. Yet she doesn't believe that gay marriage, or pre-marital sex, or divorce are sinful. What Christian doesn't believe that those things are sinful?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Welcome to CC, glad to have you here.

See you around the forums.

Blessings ❤️ 75672C66-5A1E-4013-8D4C-15DCC577C95B.jpeg

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
A catholic accepts the authority of the catholic church without resistance.. So while you consider yourself catholic you are resisting the authority of the catholic church by taking positions on contraception and pre-marital sex and divorce and gay marriage that are opposed to the doctrines of the catholic church.. Therefore in truth you are a person who accepts some doctrines of the catholic church while rejecting others.. So you are not really a catholic..

I am an ex-catholic myself.. I am now a Christian.. Trusting in the authority of the Gospel and the leading of the Holy Spirit..

I believe the scriptures when they declare the sexual act of homosexuality to be an abomination to God
I believe the scriptures when it sets rules for divorce..
I believe the scriptures that declares all sexual relations outside the boundary of marriage between a man and a woman to be sin..
I believe the Gospel that declares that Eternal salvation is secured by believing Jesus and trusting that His atoning death on the cross pays the death penalty that was upon me for my sins and secures for me eternal life..
I believe Jesus when He declared that only God is Good.. So there is not one good human being on planet earth so i believe that people who believe they are good and honest are deceived..
I believe God loves everyone.. But the key to eternal life is loving God and thereby trusting the message of God in relation to His will for us in regards to sin and salvation.. Loving God is believing Him..

I believe it is loving to give people the truth and to warn them of their perilous state, even when it is perceived by the hearer to be nasty hate judgement..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Her spiritual status says "Christian", yet here she says she identifies as catholic. Yet she doesn't believe that gay marriage, or pre-marital sex, or divorce are sinful. What Christian doesn't believe that those things are sinful?
People who believe they are their own god... People who use the Holy Bible as a smorgasbord picking and choosing what the want and rejecting things they personally do not like. They do not trust God.. They trust their own judgement and in doing so they declare themselves to be more wise then God and that God is wrong..