Why Christians get a bad rap amongst the Jews...(an example)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
A bad rap...

Here is a portion of an article from History.com ...

"With the rise of Christianity, anti-Semitism spread throughout much of Europe. Early Christians vilified Judaism in a bid to gain more converts. They accused Jews of outlandish acts such as “blood libel”—the kidnapping and murder of Christian children to use their blood to make Passover bread. "
https://www.history.com/topics/holocaust/anti-semitism

(did you notice no citations were given for any of these claims?)

There are at least two misrepresentations here, can you name them? Can you give other examples?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are at least two misrepresentations here, can you name them? Can you give other examples?
While there may be misrepresentations regarding those "outlandish acts", and many false accusations, there is no questions that anti-Semitism was a fact of life in all of Europe for a very long time. Every since the Diaspora or Dispersion of the Jews in 70 AD.

"As Christianity spread in the first centuries CE, most Jews continued to reject that religion. As a consequence, by the 4th century, Christians tended to regard Jews as an alien people who, because of their repudiation of Christ and his church, were condemned to perpetual migration..." Encyclopedia Britannica

Dec 12, 2013
A bad rap...

Here is a portion of an article from History.com ...

"With the rise of Christianity, anti-Semitism spread throughout much of Europe. Early Christians vilified Judaism in a bid to gain more converts. They accused Jews of outlandish acts such as “blood libel”—the kidnapping and murder of Christian children to use their blood to make Passover bread. "
https://www.history.com/topics/holocaust/anti-semitism

(did you notice no citations were given for any of these claims?)

When the JEWS stood and rejected Christ nationally and cried....'LET his blood be upon us and our children" they set in motion the last 2000 years of "payment" for said statement.......it did not help that the Catholic church fanned the flames of anti-Jewish rhetoric and or the deeds done by so called Christian Knights during the crusades.......at the end of the day and regardless of their blindness.....the JEWS absolute best friends on this planet are genuine born again believers that recognize the historicity of the last 2000 years and the truth of why the JEWS were cut off temporarily and how under the N.T. covenant that BOTH JEWS and GENTILES have been brought under the same banner of belief........

K

kaylagrl

When the JEWS stood and rejected Christ nationally and cried....'LET his blood be upon us and our children" they set in motion the last 2000 years of "payment" for said statement.......it did not help that the Catholic church fanned the flames of anti-Jewish rhetoric and or the deeds done by so called Christian Knights during the crusades.......at the end of the day and regardless of their blindness.....the JEWS absolute best friends on this planet are genuine born again believers that recognize the historicity of the last 2000 years and the truth of why the JEWS were cut off temporarily and how under the N.T. covenant that BOTH JEWS and GENTILES have been brought under the same banner of belief........

Oh oh, I think hell just froze over, I believe I agree with what you just said. Scary. :unsure:

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
While there may be misrepresentations regarding those "outlandish acts", and many false accusations, there is no questions that anti-Semitism was a fact of life in all of Europe for a very long time. Every since the Diaspora or Dispersion of the Jews in 70 AD.

"As Christianity spread in the first centuries CE, most Jews continued to reject that religion. As a consequence, by the 4th century, Christians tended to regard Jews as an alien people who, because of their repudiation of Christ and his church, were condemned to perpetual migration..." Encyclopedia Britannica
What I thought was a misrepresentation was this...
"Early Christians vilified Judaism in a bid to gain more converts."

Just because someone does something in the name of Christ, doesn't mean that they are Christian. Many murders were ascribed to 'Christians' as well as the murders that happened during the Crusades ...I wouldn't say they were Christian in the truest sense.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Is this a church history lesson, but then which church are you talking about. What is this wikipedia. People can write any old thing on there. I heard that one before and its not true, and when it says 'early christians' what time period are we talkign about here.

Jewish people were confined to ghettos in certain countries but it wasnt by christians it was more the govts of those countries. People need to get that straight and not blame christians. Even though theres aspostate churches giving christians a bad name.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Actually history.com is proably not as accurate as wikipedia in many respects.
History.com It tends to have an anti-christ perspective of history. Given the number of athiest docos it seems to produce.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Oh and alien conspracy theories. Yay history.com. So much more reliable than the Bible itself? I think not.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Actually history.com is proably not as accurate as wikipedia in many respects.
History.com It tends to have an anti-christ perspective of history. Given the number of athiest docos it seems to produce.
I wouldn't trust the History Channel or Wikipedia as sources for factual history.

However, although Wikipedia may have errors and bias, the History Channel isn't really concerned with history at all.
A documentary is nothing more than a product sold to a network based solely on it's entertainment value; historical accuracy isn't part of the equation.

K

kaylagrl

Is this a church history lesson, but then which church are you talking about. What is this wikipedia. People can write any old thing on there. I heard that one before and its not true, and when it says 'early christians' what time period are we talkign about here.

Jewish people were confined to ghettos in certain countries but it wasnt by christians it was more the govts of those countries. People need to get that straight and not blame christians. Even though theres aspostate churches giving christians a bad name.

Actually the Catholics were very much against Jews, but many of the early church were also. Martin Luther said horrible things against the Jews. So I do see why there are bad feelings where Christians are concerned when it comes to the Jews.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
History.com channel is partly owned by the Disney company. According to wikipedia lol.
The other owner is Hearst communications a media company that owned all the newspapers. It comes under the umbrella of A and E network which is does not stand for accident and emergency as it does where I live but stands for arts and entertainment .

And wikipedia tells us this. Thank God for wikipedia. If you looked in encylopaedia britannica you wouldnt even find these facts and information.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Actually the Catholics were very much against Jews, but many of the early church were also. Martin Luther said horrible things against the Jews. So I do see why there are bad feelings where Christians are concerned when it comes to the Jews.
How early do they mean though because early church is before roman cartholicism even came to be. Would call catholicsm more of a religious sect than representing all of christianity as a body. Dont forget the eastern orthodox.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

No it's a secular church history lesson underscoring how the secularists misrepresent Christians.
The quote in the OP never mentioned 'Church' but used the word 'Christian'. I believe by early Christians they are referring to the time period around Chrysostom who had written a number of not-so-nice things about Jews. (appx 350-400AD).
http://www.yashanet.com/library/fathers.htm

I don't think anyone here is blaming Christians.

K

kaylagrl

How early do they mean though because early church is before roman cartholicism even came to be. Would call catholicsm more of a religious sect than representing all of christianity as a body. Dont forget the eastern orthodox.

That should have said "early church fathers". Shouldn't be typing and talking to hubby at the same time, my bad.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Some Christians constantly remind Jews of the Jews' contribution for the death of Christ. It is like the process of throwing gas on a small flame. It cause's Jews to resent Christians more.
We have no right to do such demeaning acts. Also, it is not Christian like to do so. Instead we should include them in our prayers as we do other lost people.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Early Christians were put to death by people who practiced Judaism.

I'm sure there would be some hard feelings for awhile over this.

Do you just say "Its ok, you were just stubborn and stupid, I didn't really want my family and friends around anyway"?

I doubt it. Most likely they will teach very harsh things about those who practice Judaism.

But the world isn't really worried about Judaism. Its Christianity that they don't like. That's why they try to make the Jews out to be the victims in this scenario. Everyone feels sorry for the victims.

Early Christians vilified Judaism in a bid to gain more converts... lol Early Christians were in a war against Judaism for their lives and for their religion. Its still going on...

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
So many people are ignorant of just how horrible Martin Luther was in regard to the Jews. Most don't want to even consider the VERY bad side of him because of the truly heroic effort to preach Salvation by Grace through Faith alone.

Here are his thoughts on the Jews, which echoed even to Adolph Hitler, as he partially used Luther as justification of Jewish persecution.

VERY small wonder Jews are skeptical of Christians:

The Jews, he alleges, look for biblical truth “under the sow’s tail,” that is, their interpretation of the Bible comes from looking in a pig’s anus. . . . They defame Christian belief, “impelled by the Devil, to fall into this like filthy sows fall into the trough.” If they see a Jew, Christians should “throw sow dung at him . . . and chase him away.” Luther calls for the secular authorities to burn down all the synagogues and schools, and “what won’t burn should be covered over with earth, so that not a stone or piece of slag of it should be seen for all eternity.” The Jews’ houses should be destroyed and they should be put under one roof, like the gypsies. The Talmud and prayer books should be destroyed and Jewish teachers banned. They should be prevented from using the roads, usury banned, and the Jews forced to undertake physical labor instead. Assets from moneylending should be confiscated and used to support Jews who converted. This was a program of complete cultural eradication. And Luther meant it. . . .

Luther’s anti-Semitism then reached a crescendo of physical revulsion. He imagined Jews kissing and praying to the Devil’s excrement: “the Devil has emptied . . . his stomach again and again, that is a true relic, which the Jews, and those who want to be a Jew, kiss, eat, drink, and worship.” In a kind of inverted baptismal exorcism, the Devil fills the mouth, nose, and ears of the Jews with filth: “He stuffs and squirts them so full, that it overflows and swims out of every place, pure Devil’s filth, yes, it tastes so good to their hearts, and they guzzle it like sows.” Whipping himself into a frenzy, Luther invokes Judas, the ultimate Jew: “When Judas hanged himself, so that his guts ripped, and as happens to those who are hanged, his bladder burst, then the Jews had their golden cans and silver bowls ready, to catch the Judas piss (as one calls it) with the other relics, and afterwards together they ate the shit and drank, from which they got such sharp sight that they are able to see such complex glosses in Scripture.”

This summary provides only a sampling of Luther’s hate-filled vitriol. Multiple passages in his 1543 writings against the Jews are just as abhorrent.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
sTo dislike Jews is to dislike the roots of and the caretakers of the Word of God.

This does not mean all who call themselves Jews are good, see Revelation, but we are not to judge ANYONE.

If any believes himself to be authorized to judge another for any cause, he has seized authority not given him.

Our Savior died for the sins of all men which makes all who have sinned responsible for His death.

Do not say anyone is damned simply because you do not share our Father's wisdom and understanng completely.

Who knows just how far the words in Romans is taken when we are taught many pagans have the truth written upon their hearts?

Who knows how far the lesson not to judge by appearances is taken while we are taugtght tojudge with right judgmkent?

It is quite a relief for all who love to realize we are not to judge while in this age, het so many do, classifiying one sin over another as uforgiveable......yet having sinned also they, we, are all guilty of having broken all of the lae.

Thanks be to our blessed Jesus, Yeshua, we are looked upong by our Father as guilt-free. Praise Him always, amen.