Why do bad things happen to good people and christians?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 6, 2018
I'm honestly confused because I don't understand. It doesn't make sense at all when babies are diagnosed with an incurable disease or when someone with a good relationship with God ends up in a terrible accident or ends up dying overall. Why can't God take it easy like how does he expect ppl to serve him when all this happens? I'm also afraid that bad things will happen to me if I get closer to God? I'm already battling with my mental health and I'm already dead on the inside so the least thing I want is to end up really sick or something like that. I'm honestly just done and sometimes i think, If God really loves me then why did he put me here on earth? That to me is very cruel. I just hate it here and it really would have been better to not have been born at all. I think that was written in Ecclesiastes. Ask yourself some questions like, If u were to lose someone close tou and ended up being told by the doctor that u have an incurable disease then what would u do? Will u really praise God like really? Let's say u end up praying but nothing changes and u live with that incurable disease that causes u pain for 5 years or so. What will u think about God?

Jun 6, 2018
Also, do bad things happen to good.people because of their past mistakes or ancestors mistakes?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I'm honestly confused because I don't understand. It doesn't make sense at all when babies are diagnosed with an incurable disease or when someone with a good relationship with God ends up in a terrible accident or ends up dying overall. Why can't God take it easy like how does he expect ppl to serve him when all this happens? I'm also afraid that bad things will happen to me if I get closer to God? I'm already battling with my mental health and I'm already dead on the inside so the least thing I want is to end up really sick or something like that. I'm honestly just done and sometimes i think, If God really loves me then why did he put me here on earth? That to me is very cruel. I just hate it here and it really would have been better to not have been born at all. I think that was written in Ecclesiastes. Ask yourself some questions like, If u were to lose someone close tou and ended up being told by the doctor that u have an incurable disease then what would u do? Will u really praise God like really? Let's say u end up praying but nothing changes and u live with that incurable disease that causes u pain for 5 years or so. What will u think about God?
Well first off just know that you are not alone. People are here to listen and talk. Many here have dealt with the very things you have listed.

Alright, when we speak of bad things we are feeling injustice or something inwardly that we know something is wrong and it shouldn't be this way.

We inwardly know something is off because we weren't created to be in this type of world. God put Adam and Eve into perfection. But through rebellion brought sin. Sin creates evil. And the demonic forces are acting within the world regardless if you follow God or not. In Job, Satan even brought forth a great wind that killed Job's children. Out of the garden we have a fallen world. Evil, disease, and natural disasters cause us great pain.

God's trials are not the evil we see but God's trials are the incidents of life that may be tough but we overcome as God tells us that He doesn't give us anything we cannot overcome. He gives trials to discipline and mature us in faith.

So we have different spectrums of bad. And we have to know not all is of God. I was in a car accident that left me with chronic back pain. Do I blame God? No. I blame the people involved as free will causes accidents or choice can be the result of evil.

Of course, God could take out all the evil but then mankind would no longer have the choice to love God or rebel. We would be slaves or robots.

Christian Apologist Frank Turek explains evil in this way, "Turek focused on the existence of evil and suffering, putting forth an argument that some atheist intellectuals have made, which is that evil proves there is no God, for “if there is a good God, why is there evil?”
He replied to his own question by declaring that “evil actually shows God does exist,” because to believe in evil “pre-supposes an objective good and objective good requires God.”
“In other words, evil doesn’t exist on its own. Evil only exists as a lack in a good thing. Evil is like cancer: If you take all the cancer out of a body, you’ve got a better body,” said Turek.
“What happens if you take all the body of the cancer? You got nothing, it doesn’t exist on its own. Evil is like rust in a car. If you take all the rust out of a car, you got a better car. If you take all the car out of the rust, you just got a rough spot on the pavement. There’s nothing there.”
Turek added that “if you’re going to say something’s evil, you’re presupposing something’s good. But something good can only exist in an objective way if God exists.”

C.S.Lewis once made the connection by saying,
"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?"​
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

It is that we inherently know this world wasn't meant to be this way just as Genesis tells us the fall. We know when things are wrong because we have the same spiritual image as God. We learned by eating of the tree of knowledge the difference between right and wrong.

We have God's spirit of Justice, righteousness, and love. Even as some rebel from it. The law of morality still shows it to be active within them. As when injustice is done to them.

Disease happens in a fallen world. Infants die. And infants are instantly in Heaven for eternity. People abort children out of evil. The Child may see misery in life but God loves the little children. The world will not be here long. And evil has its judgment day. All the unjust will be made right.

If I as a Christian have a terrible accident then what I have I lost? What have I gained? I gained a pain-free, no sorrow, made whole, and eternity with God.

Satan is already attacking you even if you didn't follow God. You are in fear, sickness, and depression. Satan wants to keep you there to destroy your health and soul. Sounds like he is winning. The closer you get to God gives you the power needed to combat evil. And a new perspective on life vs death.

Ecclesiastes also has a wise conclusion at the end.

Many of us including myself have been loving for years or decades with illness, disease, or pain. We can always find a reason to worship.

Also, do bad things happen to good.people because of their past mistakes or ancestors mistakes?
Sometimes because of unhealthy or bad choices, we reap the side effects of past mistakes.

But the ancestor sin doesn't bring a God curse but can bring genetic harm like obesity, alcoholism, addiction, disease, etc.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I wonder sometimes why good things happen to bad people.
Well, Satan was making Jesus some very nice promises in the wilderness if only Jesus would have followed Satan. But we all know where those roads lead. Eternal Destruction. Remember that the World is Satan's kingdom. Of course, God's angels work within it and battles against the demonic forces.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
People do continue to follow God after bad things. I have a friend who was diagnosed with multiple pain issues. She's in pain 24/7 and has been this way for years with no end in sight. Yet she still managed to make it to church every Sunday and lead praise and worship.
There's a youth pastor I follow on my FB. His wife was diagnosed with cancer months ago. She recently finished up her chemo and a few weeks later he wad diagnosed with COV. He's still following God as is his wife and their teenage son.
As a kid my mom became ill. Over the years she had various health issues and that is what lead her to follow God. When I was 21 her illness took her after a decade of suffering. It didn't shake my faith.

Oddly I am actually in a similar place you're in and feel many of the things you do. Yet I know that many people stick with God through some of the hardest times in their lives. Many even say if it wasn't for God they may not have survived.

Jewelers

Jun 19, 2020
I understand your point but I know for a fact praying has helped me a bunch I try to pray every night just to talk to him cause I know I can talk to him without being judged and I get that your depressed I am too but I know for a fact since I started praying again I’ve been a lot happier and maybe the good people die so they can go to a better place instead of live here on are fallen earth with all the sins

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I am not a teenager but I think the work that I have done with teenagers might help you. You feel like you do because you are not being taught the word of God properly.

In James 1 it says "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete. lacking nothing.

To be what God wants you to be testing and trials is a given.

Take a look at Pauls experiences.....

2Corinthians 11:24 Five times I received forty stripes minus one from the Jews. I was flogged three times; I was stoned once; I was shipwrecked three times; I have spent a night and a day in the deep. I have been in travels often, in dangers of rivers, in dangers of robbers, in dangers from my race, in dangers from the nations, in dangers in the city, in dangers in a wilderness, in dangers in the sea, in dangers among false brothers, in hardship and toil, often in watchings, in hunger and thirst, often in fastings, in cold and nakedness,

When I read that I say to myself I haven't suffered anything yet.

I will finish by saying what the scripture says which is "In EVERYTHING give thanks for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. Do you know when you are in the will of God? Let me tell you. IN EVERYTHING. Even if you are not in the will of God he will still use it for your benefit.

So, in trials the question is. Lord, what are you trying to teach me?

Jun 25, 2020
This present earth is not our home, and we are pilgrims passing through.

Life is very difficult and there are a lot of trials and tribulations that we have to go. And being a child of God does not exempt you from problems.

However, the suffering that is experienced is only temporary. Our 70, 80, or 100 years of suffering on earth will feel like nothing compared to the billions of years that we will live in joy and happiness with God.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 says “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (KJV)

In the new earth and new heaven, there will be no babies diagnosed with incurable diseases, no accidents, no sickness, and best of all, No devil!

Revelation 21:4 says “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” (KJV)

I hate problems and suffering and hate this earth as well, but problems do build character.
Problems make you a stronger person. You can even read the testimonies of multi-millionaires and billionaires. None of them became successful without encountering difficulties, tears, and pain.

You can see your present problems as having come to make you miserable or you can see them as an opportunity to become closer to God. You can see them as a tool designed to help you to become a stronger Christian and become an overcomer and glorify God.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
This present earth is not our home, and we are pilgrims passing through.

Life is very difficult and there are a lot of trials and tribulations that we have to go. And being a child of God does not exempt you from problems.

However, the suffering that is experienced is only temporary. Our 70, 80, or 100 years of suffering on earth will feel like nothing compared to the billions of years that we will live in joy and happiness with God.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18 says “For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (KJV)

In the new earth and new heaven, there will be no babies diagnosed with incurable diseases, no accidents, no sickness, and best of all, No devil!

Revelation 21:4 says “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” (KJV)

I hate problems and suffering and hate this earth as well, but problems do build character.
Problems make you a stronger person. You can even read the testimonies of multi-millionaires and billionaires. None of them became successful without encountering difficulties, tears, and pain.

You can see your present problems as having come to make you miserable or you can see them as an opportunity to become closer to God. You can see them as a tool designed to help you to become a stronger Christian and become an overcomer and glorify God.

it is unfortunate that the prosperity gospel people have the impression that the Christian life is all a bed of roses. It is for them as they are sucking people dry and taking their money but the real-world experience is anything other than a bed of roses. That is why they are preaching a false gospel to be ignored.

F

Fundamental

Well, Satan was making Jesus some very nice promises in the wilderness if only Jesus would have followed Satan. But we all know where those roads lead. Eternal Destruction. Remember that the World is Satan's kingdom. Of course, God's angels work within it and battles against the demonic forces.
We are all our own mini version of Job resisting the elements of life satan throws at us.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
We are all our own mini version of Job resisting the elements of life satan throws at us.
Agreed. Paul calls us soldiers because for the Christian not only do we face the natural decay but we also face spiritual opposition.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I get frustrated when i hear this type of question.. And i have heard it many many times..

It seems that people asking it assume that God made a promise somewhere in the scriptures that if you believe in Me then I will protect you from all tribulations in this world...

God never said such a thing but people seem to either assume He did say it or that He should have said it..

Jesus made the exact opposite statement when he said::

John 16: KJV
" {33} These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

And::

Mark 13: KJV
13 "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

Ok.. we live in a faulty fallen world filled with faulty imperfect human beings.. The troubles in this world are a background noise confirming to one and all that we are living in a faulty fallen world.. Not the Holy Spirit can give us strength to persevere through troubles.. Or He can prevent us from facing things we cannot handle.. But the default setting in our short lives in this world is tribulations..

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
I believe God is a fair God, he sends down rain to everyone not just the bad or the good, he makes the sun shine for everybody not just for a certain type of person bec he or she is bad or good. He treats people equally, created and love us equally, he doesn't favor one over the other, except of course if we "sin" that equals to some hindrances.
Job is the perfect example of enduring pain, struggles, hardships and sufferings. Things happen for a reason we might not see it that way but we have to trust God that it is for our best interest. Our response to a certain situation are most important than the situation itself. I came from a broken family, I have father issues/mother issues/grandparent issues... my brother was hooked on drugs for quite a time, got his gf pregnant, married her gf bec she's pregnant, got a kid who is deaf and mute, then he commits suicide hanged himself on a tree, but thank God he survived. My father has an Alzheimer's, I did not know him then and no chance now... I had gone through a major biopsy surgery for cancer that gave my life a bit of a scare and I thank God I am well... such circumstances made my faith, We all have issues and stuffs to go through in this life, all I can say is I am better of with a Savior, I did not regret knowing God, sticking with him and having him in my life despite all challenges that comes with it if that is the case, knowing I have heaven to look forward to, that my life is in his hands, so whatever life throws at me, if I die tomorrow, it is still a gain for me for I have Christ, who sets my eternity with him. I Secured my life in Christ and nothing beats that!

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
I believe God is a fair God, he sends down rain to everyone not just the bad or the good, he makes the sun shine for everybody not just for a certain type of person bec he or she is bad or good. He treats people equally, created and love us equally, he doesn't favor one over the other, except of course if we "sin" that equals to some hindrances.
Job is the perfect example of enduring pain, struggles, hardships and sufferings. Things happen for a reason we might not see it that way but we have to trust God that it is for our best interest. Our response to a certain situation are most important than the situation itself. I came from a broken family, I have father issues/mother issues/grandparent issues... my brother was hooked on drugs for quite a time, got his gf pregnant, married her gf bec she's pregnant, got a kid who is deaf and mute, then he commits suicide hanged himself on a tree, but thank God he survived. My father has an Alzheimer's, I did not know him then and no chance now... I had gone through a major biopsy surgery for cancer that gave my life a bit of a scare and I thank God I am well... such circumstances made my faith, We all have issues and stuffs to go through in this life, all I can say is I am better of with a Savior, I did not regret knowing God, sticking with him and having him in my life despite all challenges that comes with it if that is the case, knowing I have heaven to look forward to, that my life is in his hands, so whatever life throws at me, if I die tomorrow, it is still a gain for me for I have Christ, who sets my eternity with him. I Secured my life in Christ and nothing beats that!
Man alive, you have really been through the mill and to come out the other side like this is such a credit to your faith in God. You have my total admiration.

Mak33

Nov 12, 2019
Man alive, you have really been through the mill and to come out the other side like this is such a credit to your faith in God. You have my total admiration.
Thank you, Yes, I have God to credit that...
We all go through bad situations and circumstances~ Christians and non christians, we all go through the same hardships in life as @Godcares posted: This present earth is not our home, and we are pilgrims passing through. The devil comes to steal, kill and destroy us, christians or non christians it is all the the same to them, the difference between C & NC, is we have God to help us go through. It builds our character! Makes us stronger in faith, there's only 2 outcome, "make us or break us". Why bad things happen to christians and good things happen to non christians? I don't have the answer but we all (everyone in this planet) are a target of Satan and his dominion to bring us down to hell, so it is most especially for christians, because it is a battle, they want us with them that is why satan will never stop hurting christians to win the soul on their side. My faith didn't come overnight and I still am having some struggles too but I chose to ask Gods help everytime, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him, if he didn't came into my life. I did learn a lot though the hard way but I am thankful that I've learned along the way. There are far more worst circumstances that other people face each day than what we are going through, we can see it by just watching the news on TV. So I agree with you, we should all be grateful, even for simple things, "In EVERYTHING give thanks for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus."

Jun 6, 2018
People do continue to follow God after bad things. I have a friend who was diagnosed with multiple pain issues. She's in pain 24/7 and has been this way for years with no end in sight. Yet she still managed to make it to church every Sunday and lead praise and worship.
There's a youth pastor I follow on my FB. His wife was diagnosed with cancer months ago. She recently finished up her chemo and a few weeks later he wad diagnosed with COV. He's still following God as is his wife and their teenage son.
As a kid my mom became ill. Over the years she had various health issues and that is what lead her to follow God. When I was 21 her illness took her after a decade of suffering. It didn't shake my faith.

Oddly I am actually in a similar place you're in and feel many of the things you do. Yet I know that many people stick with God through some of the hardest times in their lives. Many even say if it wasn't for God they may not have survived.
Do u think that if Godforbid something bad were to happen to u, do u think you would still serve God? Personally, it’s hard to trust in God idk I just can’t see myself trusting in a God that allowed me to maybe experience bad things in life or have a sickness that I have to live with

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Do u think that if Godforbid something bad were to happen to u, do u think you would still serve God? Personally, it’s hard to trust in God idk I just can’t see myself trusting in a God that allowed me to maybe experience bad things in life or have a sickness that I have to live with
That basically is the prosperity gospel mantra. Their view is that if you give to them and make them rich God will take all your troubles away. Unfortunately, there is nothing in scripture to support such a theory. But there is plenty in scripture to support that being a dedicated believer in the Messiah is going to cause you all sorts of trouble.

In fact, it says to count it a blessing if you suffer for Christ's sake.

Jun 25, 2020
Hello Emiliasantos

For many years I did not understand why as Christians we had to suffer. The bible talks a lot about suffering. We read about how Jesus suffered, Paul suffered and the other apostles suffered.

I did not understand the reason for our suffering until I watched a documentary about rich people.

Lessons about rich people
In the documentary, the journalist wanted to investigate the reason why some families are rich for many generations, while in some families, the first generation is rich and the riches fade away when they reach the second, third or fourth generation. He interviewed rich people who came from rich families and poor/middle class people who had rich grandparents or great grandparents.
He found that whether the riches continued in the next generations depended on how the rich people raised their children and whether they left them an inheritance or not.

In most cases, the first person to become rich came from a poor family and they worked extremely hard and had to endure extreme adversity and had to have great perseverance to become rich and successful.

Group one - Rich families who remained rich in the next generations
These rich people eventually became parents and they raised their children the same way that they were raised. Meaning their children had to work hard as they did when they young to get what they wanted. So their children got pocket money when they did their chores. They even required their teenage children to work during school holidays at restaurants, retail stores etc. They treated their children like this because that is how they grew up and it is what they did if they wanted something. (They had to work hard for it). They even told their children that they will only provide them money for their education (That was their inheritance!) and they told their children that when they died that most of their money will be given to charities.

The treatment of these rich people seems rather harsh. To allow your child to work hard at a low paying job and do odd jobs, when you are a multi-millionaire and multi-billionaire.
But these parents wanted to instil discipline and a good work ethic as well as teach them that you need to work hard for what you want. (They were interested in building their character). These children became well-disciplined hardworking adults and also became multi-millionaires, but not from their parent’s money, but with money that they had obtained on their own through hard work.

Group two - Rich people who were rich for fewer generations
These rich people spoilt their children and gave them what they wanted. Their children did not learn about working hard because they got whatever they wanted and when their parents died, they got their parent’s money. As the generations went on, the money was squandered, until the family was poor. The children of these rich parents did not have the same character as their parents.

Life of Christ
Christ could have been born into a rich family and could have grown up on luxury, but instead he was born into a poor family and had to endure hardship. He endured a lot of poverty, suffering and deprivation and probably worked hard during the first 30 years before starting his ministry. During his ministry he was always in conflict with the Pharisees, and he suffered because of being rejected by them and those who did not believe in him. (Luke 9:22, Luke 17:25) He was also called a man of sorrows. (Isaiah 53:3).

Becoming a Christian
It is God’s purpose that Christians become like Jesus and have His character. The lesson that we learn from rich people is that children who went through more or less the same life experiences, hardships and suffering as their parents did, ended up having the same character as their parents.
Therefore in order to be like Jesus we need to go through more or less the same life experiences that he did (which were not very pleasant). If we do not experience the same difficulties and get more or less the same trials and temptations as Jesus as well learning to overcome them, then it is unlikely that we will become like him. (1 Peter 2:21)

So suffering is actually used as a tool of educating us to become better Christians, but whether we become more like Christ depends on our attitude and whether we strive to overcome all of life’s challenges. If we try to avoid the suffering or complain about it and do not strive to overcome difficulties then our suffering will be in vain and futile.

It is understandable that you hate suffering and pain, but it unlikely that you will become like Jesus if do go through suffering and also learn to overcome. If we live a problem-free life without any trials, temptations and difficulties, then we will never become like Jesus. We need to go through the same life experiences that He did to become like him, this is the lesson that we get from rich people whose children also became rich. We need to carry our cross and follow him (Matthew 16:24)

Types of Suffering
But there are different types of suffering

Suffering caused by Satan – A lot of suffering comes from the devil and the devil is able to control the minds of people who are not consecrated to God, to give us a lot of pain. These types of trial and suffering are normally the ones that God allows to come to our lives to develop us to become better Christians. God also allows the devil to tempt us, but God does not allow more than we can endure. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Suffering caused by our actions – Some suffering are caused by own actions. If a person commits fornication, they might get a sexually transmitted disease and they might have to live with that disease for the rest of their lives (The bible says that you shall reap what you sow-Galatians 6:7).
Some women and not in all cases, end of giving birth to children with birth defects because of unhealthy lifestyle (They take drugs or consume a lot of alcohol when they are pregnant). The child suffers because of the decisions of their parents because of natural laws of biology.

Overall
But even if decide to reject God because there is suffering, you will still endure suffering because the devil exists. Everyone is going through suffering, whether they are Christians or Atheists or practice other religions because the devil attacks and hates everyone created by God.

The difference between Christians and non-Christians is that God turns the suffering into our own benefit. It is used to build our characters so that you can become more like Jesus if you allow it. The suffering is also while we are on earth and ends when we go to heaven where we will no longer suffer.

But if you choose to reject God, you will suffer anyway and end up in hell.

So, the next time you are facing a challenge, ask yourself what is God trying to teach me and what can I learn from this situation to become a better Christian.

I apologize for writing such a long post, but I hope the above helps to understand the reason for our suffering.

DorotheaSofia

Sep 21, 2020
Hello Emiliasantos

For many years I did not understand why as Christians we had to suffer. The bible talks a lot about suffering. We read about how Jesus suffered, Paul suffered and the other apostles suffered.

I did not understand the reason for our suffering until I watched a documentary about rich people.

Lessons about rich people
In the documentary, the journalist wanted to investigate the reason why some families are rich for many generations, while in some families, the first generation is rich and the riches fade away when they reach the second, third or fourth generation. He interviewed rich people who came from rich families and poor/middle class people who had rich grandparents or great grandparents.
He found that whether the riches continued in the next generations depended on how the rich people raised their children and whether they left them an inheritance or not.

In most cases, the first person to become rich came from a poor family and they worked extremely hard and had to endure extreme adversity and had to have great perseverance to become rich and successful.

Group one - Rich families who remained rich in the next generations
These rich people eventually became parents and they raised their children the same way that they were raised. Meaning their children had to work hard as they did when they young to get what they wanted. So their children got pocket money when they did their chores. They even required their teenage children to work during school holidays at restaurants, retail stores etc. They treated their children like this because that is how they grew up and it is what they did if they wanted something. (They had to work hard for it). They even told their children that they will only provide them money for their education (That was their inheritance!) and they told their children that when they died that most of their money will be given to charities.

The treatment of these rich people seems rather harsh. To allow your child to work hard at a low paying job and do odd jobs, when you are a multi-millionaire and multi-billionaire.
But these parents wanted to instil discipline and a good work ethic as well as teach them that you need to work hard for what you want. (They were interested in building their character). These children became well-disciplined hardworking adults and also became multi-millionaires, but not from their parent’s money, but with money that they had obtained on their own through hard work.

Group two - Rich people who were rich for fewer generations
These rich people spoilt their children and gave them what they wanted. Their children did not learn about working hard because they got whatever they wanted and when their parents died, they got their parent’s money. As the generations went on, the money was squandered, until the family was poor. The children of these rich parents did not have the same character as their parents.

Life of Christ
Christ could have been born into a rich family and could have grown up on luxury, but instead he was born into a poor family and had to endure hardship. He endured a lot of poverty, suffering and deprivation and probably worked hard during the first 30 years before starting his ministry. During his ministry he was always in conflict with the Pharisees, and he suffered because of being rejected by them and those who did not believe in him. (Luke 9:22, Luke 17:25) He was also called a man of sorrows. (Isaiah 53:3).

Becoming a Christian
It is God’s purpose that Christians become like Jesus and have His character. The lesson that we learn from rich people is that children who went through more or less the same life experiences, hardships and suffering as their parents did, ended up having the same character as their parents.
Therefore in order to be like Jesus we need to go through more or less the same life experiences that he did (which were not very pleasant). If we do not experience the same difficulties and get more or less the same trials and temptations as Jesus as well learning to overcome them, then it is unlikely that we will become like him. (1 Peter 2:21)

So suffering is actually used as a tool of educating us to become better Christians, but whether we become more like Christ depends on our attitude and whether we strive to overcome all of life’s challenges. If we try to avoid the suffering or complain about it and do not strive to overcome difficulties then our suffering will be in vain and futile.

It is understandable that you hate suffering and pain, but it unlikely that you will become like Jesus if do go through suffering and also learn to overcome. If we live a problem-free life without any trials, temptations and difficulties, then we will never become like Jesus. We need to go through the same life experiences that He did to become like him, this is the lesson that we get from rich people whose children also became rich. We need to carry our cross and follow him (Matthew 16:24)

Types of Suffering
But there are different types of suffering

Suffering caused by Satan – A lot of suffering comes from the devil and the devil is able to control the minds of people who are not consecrated to God, to give us a lot of pain. These types of trial and suffering are normally the ones that God allows to come to our lives to develop us to become better Christians. God also allows the devil to tempt us, but God does not allow more than we can endure. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Suffering caused by our actions – Some suffering are caused by own actions. If a person commits fornication, they might get a sexually transmitted disease and they might have to live with that disease for the rest of their lives (The bible says that you shall reap what you sow-Galatians 6:7).
Some women and not in all cases, end of giving birth to children with birth defects because of unhealthy lifestyle (They take drugs or consume a lot of alcohol when they are pregnant). The child suffers because of the decisions of their parents because of natural laws of biology.

Overall
But even if decide to reject God because there is suffering, you will still endure suffering because the devil exists. Everyone is going through suffering, whether they are Christians or Atheists or practice other religions because the devil attacks and hates everyone created by God.

The difference between Christians and non-Christians is that God turns the suffering into our own benefit. It is used to build our characters so that you can become more like Jesus if you allow it. The suffering is also while we are on earth and ends when we go to heaven where we will no longer suffer.

But if you choose to reject God, you will suffer anyway and end up in hell.

So, the next time you are facing a challenge, ask yourself what is God trying to teach me and what can I learn from this situation to become a better Christian.

I apologize for writing such a long post, but I hope the above helps to understand the reason for our suffering.
This is such. a. good. explanation!!! You made it really easy to understand.
Also, @Emiliasantos, I can tell you from my own experience that suffering has made me grow closer to the Lord because I have to rely on him as I can´t change the circumstance I am in. It may not be the first impulse but it is a choice to be made. And when that choice is made, it is far far easier to go through the circumstance! My favourite non scripture quote on this is this: " My life is not a response to any circumstance but to the love of God.
God bless you and help you find the answer for your question! Also, do not be scared! God does not allow for us to go through more than we can bear. <3