Why do Calvinists believe things the bible doesnt say ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
I've read most of it and notice the topic of Predestination doesn't come up until Book III.
Judging by the way Reformed Baptists speak (which are not true Calvinists), you'd think it was in Book I of the Institutes.
Also have read The Belgic, Heidelberg, Westminster and the 1689. But it really proves little.
My point is
Why argue?
If one believes that all can be saved
Shouldn't we be fighting. Doctrine between believers less and reaching out to the lost more?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
As it should be. I have known young men who have confessed sin and then been told by their "pastor" that they did not need to repent because they were born again at an earlier time and could never forfeit their Salvation. The Bible exposes this lie. We are put here to speak the truth of the Word of God. Umpteen times umpteen times if that is what it takes.
i know a man who believes he doesn't have to ask for forgiveness

but his rationale isn't quite what you described; he says he realized that God has already forgiven him once and for all - he still confesses his sin, but he's not 'anxious' over whether he is forgiven or not. he knows he is. so the difference to him is just that he is steadfastly believing God is faithful to forgive and cleanse him -- not 'asking' in his prayers anymore, but believing and thanking God for forgiveness. from his point of view, he has believed and accepted grace, and he sees continually asking for forgiveness as a kind of 'doubt' -- he doesn't think he needs to keep going back and getting 're-saved' every time he stumbles or get Christ's blood 're-applied' somehow.

i emphasize again, he still confesses his sin daily.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
TULIP is not a Calvin idea
Its American
Nice flower , bad theology. Augustine is the Origin . Then Calvin idolised and furthered his work . Most Christians think ' total depravity ' is true ( Augustines view of it ) and have never read his work ,or Calvins . Its permeated nearly every denomination.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
i thought TULIP was written by followers of Arminius, listing things they contended over?
Its packaged formally as a counter to Jacobs attempt ( unsuccessful) to find his way out of Beza's teachings

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
My point is
Why argue?
If one believes that all can be saved
Shouldn't we be fighting. Doctrine between believers less and reaching out to the lost more?
I don't think either Calvinists or Arminians believe 'all' will be saved.
Cultists, who have some horrible doctrine, can be pretty effective in 'reaching out to the lost'.

Actually sharing the Gospel requires the most exact doctrine...

Galatians 1:9 (NASB) As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Nice flower , bad theology. Augustine is the Origin . Then Calvin idolised and furthered his work . Most Christians think ' total depravity ' is true ( Augustines view of it ) and have never read his work ,or Calvins . Its permeated nearly every denomination.
All one needs to know is:
We must
Surrender our entire consciousness to
God - every high thought
Every fear
Every bit if histrionics
We must believe that
Jesus is the Christ
Jesus arose from the dead
His sacrifice and HIS overcoming this
World is fact

All the rest is vanity
PS: Augustine in my opinion is correct
So is Calvin
Regarding me personally..If you dont agree it doesn't matter
Because this is a personal
Journey

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
All one needs to know is:
We must
Surrender our entire consciousness to
God
Again, having come out of the New Age, Theosophy, mysticism etc., I believe this is a poor choice of words.
True, we are to surrender our mind, heart, soul and strength to God (Mark 12:30), but the phrase 'entire consciousness' drums up all types of flashbacks from Eastern (false) religions.
Maybe that comes from Plato?

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
Again, having come out of the New Age, Theosophy, mysticism etc., I believe this is a poor choice of words.
True, we are to surrender our mind, heart, soul and strength to God (Mark 12:30), but the phrase 'entire consciousness' drums up all types of flashbacks from Eastern (false) religions.
Maybe that comes from Plato?
Good point
I use that word too much
Thank you for the correction