Why Do Christians Ignore Most of the Old Testament Rules?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Then will you please explain in every day English using words often used just what is false about saying that scripture is for everyone, none of it is directed to a select group of people exclusively.
You're asking me to defend an assertion I have not made. Did you read the link explaining 'false dichotomy'?

The Sinaitic covenant was given to Israel. It wasn't given to Moab, or Egypt, or Germania, or any modern nation (including modern Israel!). All Scripture is profitable, but that doesn't mean that it is all directed at every reader. Jonah was told to go to Nineveh; that doesn't mean that you or I are being told to go to Nineveh.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
So help me out here, did Jesus tell us that we should not obey?
So help me out here, did you see the word "all" in my post?

In a relationship between father and (minor) son or daughter, is obedience one component of it? Of course. Is it "ALL" about obedience? Not by a long shot. In the same sense, Christianity is not "ALL" about obedience.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
If you think that Christianity is all about obedience, you have the wrong Jesus.
The problem I see Christians having is with what follows salvation.

The heart of Christianity is the heart of the old testament and the heart of the new testament, and that is that we are created to live eternally with the Lord. Sin stops that, forgiveness of sin allows us to live eternally.

The problem is related to the free choice we are given to choose this. To be forgiven we need to want to be rid of our sins, and we can't both choose sin to have in our life and choose to be forgiven of the sin we want to keep. God will not take away sin we want to keep. Scripture calls this repentance, and Christ asks us to repent.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
The problem is related to the free choice we are given to choose this. To be forgiven we need to want to be rid of our sins, and we can't both choose sin to have in our life and choose to be forgiven of the sin we want to keep. God will not take away sin we want to keep. Scripture calls this repentance, and Christ asks us to repent.
Do you believe that this "free choice" belongs equally to natural unregenerate man as well as to spiritual regenerate man?

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do you believe that this "free choice" belongs equally to natural unregenerate man as well as to spiritual regenerate man?
Free choice is simply free choice. We are not robots.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
When the Lord gives us free choice, do you think God says a sinner may choose, but if a man chooses to belong to Me, then the free choice is taken from him? You are not making any sense at all.

Reformed1689

Jun 1, 2018
When the Lord gives us free choice, do you think God says a sinner may choose, but if a man chooses to belong to Me, then the free choice is taken from him? You are not making any sense at all.
How does a dead man obtain life? Does he will his own resurrection? Could Lazarus have said no?

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
You confuse things here. I said nothing about any free will choices of sinners. I said that any "free will choice" for sinners is unbiblical. Now, do you have any scriptures for your claims or do you just speak your own opinions?

Reformed1689

Jun 1, 2018
You confuse things here. I said nothing about any free will choices of sinners. I said that any "free will choice" for sinners is unbiblical. Now, do you have any scriptures for your claims or do you just speak your own opinions?
Almost everything on this website is sadly the latter.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
Almost everything on this website is sadly the latter.
Yes and one can wonder why they do post here, since they're always holier than thou and know.it-alls. They're never your equal.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
The OT laws are typically a topic that comes up in most Bible forums. This article brings out some very good points when we ask ourselves this question today.
Blessings.

BIBLESTUDYTOOLS.COM
Reading through the Old Testament can be a jarring experience, even for Christians. The early Bible is practically brimming with commands and laws which sound contrary to Christ’s message today. Do you enjoy eating shrimp? Sorry, that’s against the rules (Leviticus 11:10). Not a fan of beards? Well that’s just too bad (Leviticus 19:27). Showing off your new tattoo? You ought to be ashamed (Leviticus 19:28)!

To someone outside the Church, it looks as though Christians are cherry-picking which verses they want to follow. That’s why author and theologian J.D. Greer believes it’s necessary for Christians to educate themselves on the three categories of Old-Testament law. In a recent blog post he writes,
“One of the most helpful ways to think about this is to look at the types of laws there are in the Old Testament. The 16th-century Reformer John Calvin saw that the NT seemed to treat the OT laws in three ways. There were Civil Laws, which governed the nation of Israel, encompassing not only behaviors, but also punishments for crimes. There were Ceremonial Laws about ‘clean’ and ‘unclean’ things, about various kinds of sacrifices, and other temple practices. And then there were the Moral Laws, which declared what God deemed right and wrong—the 10 Commandments, for instance.”
“For OT Israel, all three types of laws blended together. Breaking a civil or a ceremonial law was a moral problem; conversely, breaking a moral law had a civil (and often ceremonial) consequence. But they only went hand-in-hand because Israel was in a unique place historically, as both a nation and a worshiping community. ‘Separation of church and state’ wasn’t one of their core tenets. That’s not the case for the Church today, so the way we view the Law would have to look different.”

Greer goes on to argue that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus fulfilled the purpose of the law (Matthew 5:17). By this, he means that the original laws pointed toward God and his design for humanity. Jesus now serves as a living embodiment of both law and grace, allowing us to put aside the Civil and Ceremonial laws of Israel. This traditional approach is shared by the majority of Biblical scholars, including men such as Dr. Roger Barrier, who writes,
“Like many of the Ten Commandments, prohibitions against stealing and adultery and coveting transcend time and space. Jesus fulfilled the moral law by His perfect righteousness. Every commandment He obeyed. Every requirement He met. He lived up to every standard. He died for it on the cross...”
“In considering which parts of the Old Testament we can ignore and which we keep, we must delve into the concept of cultural differences. Many of the Laws are not applicable for us. We must compare their culture to ours in order to have good application.”

Instead of avoiding the complex subject of Old Testament laws, Christians should embrace the chance to study their faith. The world expects us to have answers when they start probing our beliefs, and it’s vital that believers be ready to speak the word of God with conviction. So don’t be afraid to read books like Leviticus and Deuteronomy, they’re just the beginning of God’s great story.
*Published 4/5/2016
T|he answer is very simple. Most church leaders do not understand the Old Testament beyond its sybolism so they cannot give any meaningful instruction on the topic.