Why Do Christians Ignore some of Jesus' Teachings?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

That is exactly what he is saying!
Oh??

Says who? Your english bible?

How can God tell us to be something we have no capability of bing? That makes no sense.

E

eternally-gratefull

Matt 5: 48 - Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

The word means to be made complete. To be brought to the end. And the word is used in the future tense, Not in the past tense. it in reality speaks of our future status, where we will be made perfect. Just like our father is perfect. Since you will be made perfect. Walk and strive to live out this way (not that you could., but that does not mean we shoudl stop and just sit idle and give up) God will make us perfect (glorified)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
No, I haven't sold my property and don't intend to -- I don't keep the commandments as Jesus told us to do. Notice that Jesus never said keep the moral laws, He told us the keep the whole Law.

Most folks who have not heard Jesus clearly, and never actually knew the law by study are not aware that most of them were fulfilled by our Lord, while only leaving the laws that are within the framework of real Love, God is Love. So after receiving the Holy Spirit our New Man has the way written on his heart but also recognizzzes those laws according to Jesus, that must yet be adhered to.

Aagain obeying the law does not save a soul, only Jesus Christ and His mercy saves us, but once we receive the Love of god, we know, as members of Christ's Body to continue as He did, obeying the wisdom of God according to His teaching.

It is sad so many do not hear Jesus on this, but then according to the Word there are not many of understanding to be on this earth in the last heartbeats of what is called time. We work to make that a lerger number.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Hmmmmm, good point. You have me pondering, thank you for that, Brother.
The word there can be translated “Mature” or lacking nothing..

He is not going to tell people to be something they are unable to be.

May I ask why you are asking these questions?
Three decades ago I had a Christian friend who advocated total obedience to Jesus' commandments, especially selling properties and giving away all the money to charity. He was very respected for his great knowledge of Scripture and his opinions caused a lot of problems in several churches. Not even the pastors could prove, according to Scripture, that he was wrong .

In my city motor vehicle drivers ignore traffic lights at low traffic crossings, between sunset and sunrise . But they know WHY they do that: There is a permission for that from city hall in order to prevent holdups.

We Christians don't get circumcised and we know why: Paul made it clear that we don't have to obey this OT commandment.

We Christians don't give all we have to charity, but don't know why we don't have to obey this commandment of Jesus. Are we in disobedience or are we exempted from this commandment?

Is it not nice to know why we can disregard some of Jesus' teachings?

E

eternally-gratefull

Three decades ago I had a Christian friend who advocated total obedience to Jesus' commandments, especially selling properties and giving away all the money to charity. He was very respected for his great knowledge of Scripture and his opinions caused a lot of problems in several churches. Not even the pastors could prove, according to Scripture, that he was wrong .

In my city motor vehicle drivers ignore traffic lights at low traffic crossings, between sunset and sunrise . But they know WHY they do that: There is a permission for that from city hall in order to prevent holdups.

We Christians don't get circumcised and we know why: Paul made it clear that we don't have to obey this OT commandment.

We Christians don't give all we have to charity, but don't know why we don't have to obey this commandment of Jesus. Are we in disobedience or are we exempted from this commandment?

Is it not nice to know why we can disregard some of Jesus' teachings?
I see your point. And it would be nice t be able to answer that persons questions. About what I can say there is saul could quote you the OT verbaitim, But until he met Christ on that road. He did not KNOW the bible much at all. If this makes sense.

I do not think God gives us peromission to disobey his commands, I also know God gave some specific commands for the nation of Israel as a nation of his (national laws) That he never intended for everyone (ie, He told them not to eat certtain meats, yet later, we are told all food is good to eat) of course he was trying to teach a lesson by that law. And it was specific to Israel only

Again, i am no sure where jesus told us to sell everything, can you show me that again, I remember him telling someone who said he has obeyed the law since birth to sell everything he had. But not because he had to. To show him a flaw in his thinking (he did nto admit he had ever sinned)

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
I see your point. And it would be nice t be able to answer that persons questions. About what I can say there is saul could quote you the OT verbaitim, But until he met Christ on that road. He did not KNOW the bible much at all. If this makes sense.

I do not think God gives us peromission to disobey his commands, I also know God gave some specific commands for the nation of Israel as a nation of his (national laws) That he never intended for everyone (ie, He told them not to eat certtain meats, yet later, we are told all food is good to eat) of course he was trying to teach a lesson by that law. And it was specific to Israel only

Again, i am no sure where jesus told us to sell everything, can you show me that again, I remember him telling someone who said he has obeyed the law since birth to sell everything he had. But not because he had to. To show him a flaw in his thinking (he did nto admit he had ever sinned)
In Luke 12:33 -- Sell that ye have, and give alms;

Ananias and Sapphira kept back part of the money, lied to the Holy Spirit and were condemned. In Acts 2;45 we see that the disciples would obey the commandment regarding properties.

After Jesus' crucifixion there was a transition period between the Old and the New Covenant. It looks like the disciples in Acts 2:45 were still keeping the law of Moses which had been reinterpreted by the Lord Jesus.

This is a difficult subject. Most Bible teachers (including my elders) maintain that we are to obey ALL of Jesus' teachings, but fact is that nobody does it.

L

LPT

Jesus told His disciples to sell their properties and give alms; told them to wash (literally) one another's feet; to obey the scribes and Pharisees; perform sacrifices according to the Law; etc. Through His personal example Jesus taught us to keep the Sabbath and observe the festivals.

Jesus said: whoever breaks one of the least of the commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord (while He was on earth) also said that only a few will be saved and yet we all seem to ignore it. Why?
If I may Sir, do you slaughter a lamb on Passover, have you sold all that you own and have given it to the poor, do you wash peoples feet, do you listen to the scribes and Pharisees, do you go to a synagogue on the seventh day of week, do you honor the festivals throughout the year?

L

LPT

I don’t thinks so, pick the log my friend, for if you did you wouldn’t be on the internet or have a computer.

L

LPT

Tired of the finger pointing, almost at the event horizon.

Dec 6, 2018
Well, From what Jesus told us, God is a spirit, those who worship him, must do so in spirit and in truth, So When he was teaching us these things, he was referring to how the heart should be, how God wants it to be. (Washing feet- Humility), (selling properties - this is just about giving - according to 2 Corinthians 8:12) the bible is complete, and it cannot contradict itself, so it interprets itself.
About sabbath, just about devoting time to God, Giving your all to God, worshipping him, with your life, 24/7 can be your sabbath, if what you do 24/7 gives glory only to God. Jesus Healed on sabbath day, he was doing the work of our father.. He was WORKING ON SABBATH DAY, Jesus did not break God’s law, but broke the law of those men, because He Perfectly understands God’s commandents, more than those men, what God really wants, so He implemented it. Same reason we were told, whether we eat or drink, do all to the glory of God. Jesus’ teaching here on earth, (According to the bible) should not be seen through the physical perspective, it should be seen as God wants it to be seen. (Though with his spirit) using other scriptures to expound the scriptures that are not too clear, not using our knowledge to try to understand it. This way we can live according to God’s will, to the glory of God..

Besides people who ignore Jesus’ teaching, they might do that, because it offends them, or it interferes with their way of living. Just saying, or maybe they don’t even know that they’re doing so..

The word of God is spirit, it is life. 🥰😘

Dec 6, 2018
I think you are very close to the truth here.
God’s ideal is to put others above self in all things and every aspect of life. That is how we honor God.
As mortal beings we cannot and are for the most part unwilling to do this. We cannot be perfect and that is our sin. Jesus can set the ideals of what it is to serve God but only through him can we attempt to do so.
His death on the cross made our attempts good enough.
Please If as mortals we cannot be perfect, I’m just asking a question, CANNOT THE HOLY SPIRIT of God MAKE ONE PERFECT, or can not God make one perfect? Or if we have the mind of christ, can we not be perfect? If we walk after the spirit, are we not made perfect? Or can we not walk after the holy spirit?
😕

i want to hear your views on this please.

I’m a little bit confused at this post.

Please I would appreciate your explanation. Thanks.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
If I may Sir, do you slaughter a lamb on Passover, have you sold all that you own and have given it to the poor, do you wash peoples feet, do you listen to the scribes and Pharisees, do you go to a synagogue on the seventh day of week, do you honor the festivals throughout the year?
No, I don't do any of these things even though Jesus Christ commanded us to do them. I presume you don't obey all of Jesus' commandments either and my question is: WHY?

L

LPT

No, I don't do any of these things even though Jesus Christ commanded us to do them. I presume you don't obey all of Jesus' commandments either and my question is: WHY?
I did not post the thread title you did, like you say you don’t do them so do not point at others either.

L

LPT

Do the best you can don’t question why or why not, do your part to make this world a better place before you were born into it, that my message.

E

eternally-gratefull

In Luke 12:33 -- Sell that ye have, and give alms;

Ananias and Sapphira kept back part of the money, lied to the Holy Spirit and were condemned. In Acts 2;45 we see that the disciples would obey the commandment regarding properties.

After Jesus' crucifixion there was a transition period between the Old and the New Covenant. It looks like the disciples in Acts 2:45 were still keeping the law of Moses which had been reinterpreted by the Lord Jesus.

This is a difficult subject. Most Bible teachers (including my elders) maintain that we are to obey ALL of Jesus' teachings, but fact is that nobody does it.
The conext of the passage is to not store up treasure on earth. But store up things which last forever (spiritual things)

He did not tell them to sell their land. He said sell things they have, and give to the poor. (It is better to give than recieve)

I think your taking him to literally

Those two people lied. If they did not lie, they would not have gotten in trouble

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Matt 5: 48 - Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

The word means to be made complete. To be brought to the end. And the word is used in the future tense, Not in the past tense. it in reality speaks of our future status, where we will be made perfect. Just like our father is perfect. Since you will be made perfect. Walk and strive to live out this way (not that you could., but that does not mean we shoudl stop and just sit idle and give up) God will make us perfect (glorified)
It
Please If as mortals we cannot be perfect, I’m just asking a question, CANNOT THE HOLY SPIRIT of God MAKE ONE PERFECT, or can not God make one perfect? Or if we have the mind of christ, can we not be perfect? If we walk after the spirit, are we not made perfect? Or can we not walk after the holy spirit?
😕

i want to hear your views on this please.

I’m a little bit confused at this post.

Please I would appreciate your explanation. Thanks.
We cannot be perfect, No! We can walk in Jesus righteousness and God sees us as perfect.

Dec 12, 2013
Jesus told His disciples to sell their properties and give alms; told them to wash (literally) one another's feet; to obey the scribes and Pharisees; perform sacrifices according to the Law; etc. Through His personal example Jesus taught us to keep the Sabbath and observe the festivals.

Jesus said: whoever breaks one of the least of the commandments and teaches people to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven.

The Lord (while He was on earth) also said that only a few will be saved and yet we all seem to ignore it. Why?
Why do people ignore the fact that Jesus was born, lived and died UNDER THE LAW which RATIFIED THE NEW COVENANT........<--OF THE WHICH PAUL covers extensively to THE GENTILE BELIEVERS!!!!!!!!!????????

Dec 6, 2018
It

We cannot be perfect, No! We can walk in Jesus righteousness and God sees us as perfect.
Oh okay, please @Embankment expound these verses, so i’ll fully understand what you’re trying to pass to me.

Romans 6:4-8 (KJV)
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

As a plus
Romans 6:18 (KJV)
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

If we are servants of righteousness c are we still not perfect? I want to understand you fully, please bear with my questions, thanks.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Oh okay, please @Embankment expound these verses, so i’ll fully understand what you’re trying to pass to me.

Romans 6:4-8 (KJV)
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

As a plus
Romans 6:18 (KJV)
Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

If we are servants of righteousness c are we still not perfect? I want to understand you fully, please bear with my questions, thanks.
As long as we have a physical body we are not perfect.
Jesus is the only perfect person who ever walked the earth.