Why do people change the Word of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iraasuup

Okay, to humour myself I Googled this.

I went to www.catholic.org

There is a link there to the ten commandments from the 'new jerusalem' bible. They confuse me. There seems to be more than 10, but they seem to follow along the same lines...vaguely.

Like I said, I don't know...but I do know we get a zillion requests for this 'new jerusalem' bible at work.

Apr 23, 2009
The 4th commandment Honor your father and mother. I hope this is not true, the removal of forbidding making graven images was bad, if this keeps going on there won't be much left of what God put in it. (if true I wonder what they put in it's place?)
The 4th Commandment is remembetr the sabbath and keep it holy.

M

Maddog

The Catholic ten commandments:
!. I am the Lord thy God which brought thee out of the land of Egypt. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
3. Do not take the name of the Lord your God in Vain.
4. Honour your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultry.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
9. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife.
10. You shall not covet your Neighbour's goods.

What they did was remove the Idle commandment and split the last one into two making ten again.
The prohibition of idol worshipping is considered to be a part of the first commandment.

M

Maddog

The numbering? So they don't list them in the same order we do? Is that what you're saying?
The order is the same, but the grouping is different. But then that's going to happen when you've got a list of 14 imperitive statements in the Exodus list of commandments.

M

Maddog

As an aside, I believe they used the Deuteronomy version, and it was Protestants after the Reformation that focused on the Exodus list. It's possible that Protestant iconclasts wanted the 'graven images' as a separate commandment because they didn't like statues in church.

May 21, 2009
The phrasees thought they knew all about the bible. Same thing is going on today. Jesus caled them snakes(devils).

C

charisenexcelcis

Perhaps, regarding the ten commandments, we should ask the Jews.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
The phrasees thought they knew all about the bible. Same thing is going on today. Jesus caled them snakes(devils).

Nicodemus was a Pharisee.

John 3:1 NIV [Jesus Teaches Nicodemus] Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.

There were many Pharisees in the early church in Jerusalem. Most Pharisees were pious, God fearing people. It was predominantly the ruling classes who were turned by greed that Jesus was referring to.

It is our duty and responsibility to be knowledgeable of the Bible. Paul said:

1 Peter 3:15 NIV But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

2 Timothy 3:16 NIV

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

G

greatkraw

I have an Irish friend who was raised Roman Catholic.

He is quite firm that they lose the one about Graven Images and divide the one about covetting.

M

Maddog

I have an Irish friend who was raised Roman Catholic.

He is quite firm that they lose the one about Graven Images and divide the one about covetting.
I can see that it looks like that if you're using the typical Protestant version as your baseline, but rest assured, Catholics are as much opposed to idolatry as other Christians.

Apr 23, 2009
I can see that it looks like that if you're using the typical Protestant version as your baseline, but rest assured, Catholics are as much opposed to idolatry as other Christians.
But they have no problem making and bowing before engraven images.

Status
Not open for further replies.