Why do so many people think Paul was a false apostle?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
If you google Paul false apostle you'll get hundreds of thousands of results. Of course, not all results contain opinions against Paul, but I estimate that at least half of them state that he departed from the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are also those who don't go to the extreme of calling Paul a false apostle, but regard him as "not completely reliable".

Is there any reason for us to think that Paul's authority is questionable?

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Not that I can think of.

Paul does mention, when talking about his "thorn in the flesh" in 2 Corinthians 12, that the thorn was placed there as a "messenger of Satan to buffet" him, lest he became exalted above measure due to the revelations that he received. Which leads me to believe that Christ gave Paul information upon conversion that Paul would use to take the Gospel to the Jews and then the Gentiles.

So assuming that Christ did reveal certain things to Paul, it would not make sense for him to contradict anything that Christ said.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
If you google Paul false apostle you'll get hundreds of thousands of results. Of course, not all results contain opinions against Paul, but I estimate that at least half of them state that he departed from the true gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

There are also those who don't go to the extreme of calling Paul a false apostle, but regard him as "not completely reliable".

Unfortunately, I have run across these people at different times. And for those who would consider Paul a false apostle and a liar, I present them with the following and that because they are guilty of the same:

"So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

So according to Peter, Paul's writings are wisdom from God and are to be considered to be scripture. Paul was caught up to the third heaven and continued to receive visions and revelations directly from the Lord. He healed, drove out demons and raised the dead and many other amazing works. Needless to say, God is not going to perform those things with someone who is a liar and a false apostle.

If we were to consider Paul as a false apostle and a liar and throw out his letters as not being God-breathed, then we must also throw out the writings of Peter, John and James who gave Paul the right hand of fellowship. And we must also throw out the book of Luke and Acts, for Luke who traveled with Paul supported him.

As the scripture states, those who hold this view of Paul distort the scriptures and are ignorant and unstable and they do so to their own destruction.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Probably because they do not like most of the New Testament.

N

NoNameMcgee

i think i heard someone mention that some people believed this once..

but i didnt put any weight into it....
and i wont consider it either

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Paul's apostleship and authority have come under attack because Satan knows that if he can undermine over half the New Testament as well as get Christians attacking each other from opposite sides, he has succeeded to a huge degree. So people (particularly people infected with the virus of theological liberalism) now want to call Paul a false apostle because they themselves are following false apostles, false prophets, and false teachers.

So those who believe that the entire Bible is the Word of God should question those who question Paul and ask them "Why should we doubt the apostleship and authority of Paul, since his epistles constitute over half the New Testament?"

In other words Christian should go on the OFFENSIVE when the Bible is attacked, because an attack on Paul is an attack on the Bible, on Christ, and on God.

slave

Mar 20, 2015
Interestingly enough it is God thru Paul who comments on the deception of Satan in mans minds given to be allowed by God in the wickedness of people in the world order who seek to disprove what God has made holy.

(2 Thessalonians 2:7-12): ... The Voice (VOICE)

7 For the mystery of sin is already working its way through the world; He who holds him back now will continue to suppress him only until He is pulled out of the way. 8 It is then that this rebellious one will be finally unleashed. But the Lord will slay him with the breath of His mouth; and with the splendor of His coming, He will bring him to his predetermined end.

9 Still the rebellious one arrives with all sorts of power, performing signs and fake miracles sanctioned by Satan; 10 he employs every manner of wicked deception to wile away those who are destined for eternal death because they reject the love of the truth that leads to salvation. 11 Because of this, God sends a deceptive influence over them so they will wander from the truth and believe the lie. 12 As a result, God will judge all of those who did not entrust themselves to the truth when it faced them but instead reveled in wickedness.

Paul was ordained by God, Paul did not ordain himself.

Dec 4, 2017

Most likely just an internet trend.
There are quite a few miss information guises out there.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
The answer to the OP, can be determined, by reading the Book of Jude. AND, the ineffectiveness OF man, in combating it, mixed in with a generous amount of "vanity, and gullibleness". And? Placing Paul's mission, of starting churches without Paul's credentials? ALL of these things, (and more, even) fit perfectly, into the "FAMINE OF THE END TIMES" prophecy. And what ya have are "stony ground" people, starting stony ground churches, aptly called "cookie-cutter" Christians, or? Churchianity. Or? As one comes OUT of "babylon" (confusion)..."Churches of the Paulene epiestles!"
But, the answer is ALWAYS "man!" Just as it is with the name n number of the beast!

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
It started with the lawyers during Paul's ministry. and it's the lawyers ever since that have been on Paul's case.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Paul was not one of the 12 apostles but to say he was a false apostle and that he departed from the true gospel of Jesus Christ is ridiculous I mean he basically wrote half the new testament which is considered the word of God so if he was false and strayed from the true gospel then you better throw out about half or so of the new testament from your bible.

Dec 12, 2013
Ignorance, willfully blind, false religion, inability to be honest, his words contradict works and law based religion etc......

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
It's the first I've heard of this.
Read up on the Ebionites:

Ebionites (Greek: Ἐβιωναῖοι Ebionaioi, derived from Hebrew אביונים ebyonim, ebionim, meaning "the poor" or "poor ones"), is a patristic term referring to a Jewish Christian movement that existed during the early centuries of the Christian Era.[SUP][1][/SUP]

They regarded
Jesus of Nazareth as a prophet while rejecting his divinity, his virgin birth, [SUP][2][/SUP] and insisted on the necessity of following Jewish law and rites.[SUP][3][/SUP]

They used only one of the
Jewish–Christian gospels, the hebrew book of Matthew starting at chapter 3, revered James the brother of Jesus (James the Just), and rejected Paul the Apostle as an apostate from the Law.[SUP][4]

Full text:

[/SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebionites

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Why? Because they're unconverted.
Yes they will not receive the word of God he brings. Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. Greatly used of God and greatly hated by the enemy.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dec 27, 2017
They are not rejecting Paul as much as they are rejecting Jesus, that Paul presents and reveals to us. They also reject living for Christ as Paul also presented and revealed to us. I see God mentioned all over the place in today's protestant multi denominational landscape. I hear less of Jesus all the time.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I would be interested to know who are those who accuse Paul of being false and why.
The most ardent Pharisee who persecute Christians and then met Jesus.

Was trusted by those who at first thought he was playing a con.

Then relesed him into ministry.
That ministry to the gentiles.
Even Peter says I don't get half the stuff he says, but it's from God to the gentiles.

Maybe those who consider him false have an agenda.

Hmm what could that be?