Why do we argue over the meaning of scriptures in the Bible among ourselves?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
That's ok, I'll try to clarify for you.

In short, we mean exactly what we say with the exception of our mutual understanding and usage of figurative language. In other words, there is no reason for you to assume I mean anything other than what I say unless I say something we both understand as a figurative phrase that corresponds to a literal meaning in our shared language.

If I said: "The sermon was astonishing", you should understand that as "The sermon was astonishing".
If I said: "The sermon took my breath away", you should understand that as "The sermon was astonishing"

The 1st phrase means exactly what it means.
The 2nd phrase means exactly what the 1st phrase means.
In English, we share a common understanding that the 2nd phrase means what the 1st phrase says. If a foreigner hears me say the 2nd phrase, they might not believe or understand me because the literalistic meaning is so improbable, and in some cases of figurative language, impossible.

This is the challenge with figurative language in the Bible. We sometimes do not understand that a Jewish (or Biblically associated) figure of speech is being used, so we might assume the literalistic interpretation is absurd, and we invoke another (false) meaning to a text that "makes more sense" in our mind. Every figurative usage in the Bible is either already established in the Jewish culture or in a passage of Scripture.

For example,
Daniel 7 clearly says that the 4 beasts are 4 kingdoms and the 10 horns of the 4th beast are 10 kings.
Revelation 17 - the angels tells John the waters which he saw (earlier) are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues
(in short, humanity).
Revelation 12 says that the dragon is Satan.

Consider all that, look at how the beast of Revelation 13:1-10 is described:

“Then I saw a beast rise out of the sea, having ten horns...And the dragon gave him his power and great authority...the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast...and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?”...It was also given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them (Revelation 13:1–10)​

These symbols are not ambiguous; They are defined either in the passage, somewhere else in the Revelation, or in the Old Testament.

We can objectively understand this passage as something like:

A kingdom will arise out of humanity, composed of ten rulers. Satan will empower it with great authority
and the whole earth will revere it as invincible, and it will be empowered to destroy the saints in war.

Now go read Daniel 2, 7, 8, 11 and evaluate its legitimacy. The whole Revelation can be understood without ambiguity by just taking God's word at face value and apprehending what we do not (yet) understand.

Now there are many more details I could have mentioned and defined in the Revelation 13 passage, but I gave just some key points to get the main picture across. The book of Revelation is a timeline of vision, expressed in symbols, and grounded in reality. I know that is an intense example because there are so many Biblically established figures of speech lumped together in the book (518 OT references in 22 chapters). But that is how you go about understanding Biblically established figurative language. As for the (already established) Jewish figures of speech, which are intrinsic to the culture, you can identify many from their usage and association to other things in the Bible, or you can independently study cultural concepts that don't make sense in our language (English).
Ahhhh . . . I see. I didn't take the time to Truly understand what you were conveying. Makes perfect sense, now. Thanks for taking the time . . . I'm sure that took a while. Preciate it.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Ahhhh . . . I see. I didn't take the time to Truly understand what you were conveying. Makes perfect sense, now. Thanks for taking the time . . . I'm sure that took a while. Preciate it.
Your welcome. When I have time, I love to do this for a few reasons:
1. It blesses others
2. It's enjoyable
3. It sharpens me

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
Your welcome. When I have time, I love to do this for a few reasons:
1. It blesses others
2. It's enjoyable
3. It sharpens me
I appreciate that. Have you ever written any papers on the Gospel; what it is, exactly?

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
I appreciate that. Have you ever written any papers on the Gospel; what it is, exactly?
The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection according to the Scriptures (1 Cor 15:1-4)
As to what the gospel does for us...that is a longer discussion.

I have not written any formal work yet. But someday I would like to write a commentary of the Bible. I will have my AA from a secular college in June, but I plan to transfer to a Christian university this fall to get (at least) a MA and pursue a professorship and pastoral ministry later. I'd like to teach systematic and/or Biblical theology at a seminary.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
There are many reasons for arguments. The root cause, of course, is sin (as in a fallen world, not personal sin). Many people have inadequate instruction in the Word, and are attempting to promote (or defend) views that simply cannot be defended from Scripture. There are legitimate differences of interpretation of certain verses and passages. Some people come to promote a particular divisive opinion which need not be promoted at all. Most people don't have training in logic, and may have difficulty seeing their own flaws of reasoning. Emotions get in the way, with people either getting too aggressive or too easily hurt when others disagree. Of course, ego is part of the mix as well; humans just don't like being wrong, and often would rather fight to defend the ego rather than surrender a bad idea.
Well said. :)

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017

In short, we mean exactly what we say with the exception of our mutual understanding and usage of figurative language. In other words, there is no reason for you to assume I mean anything other than what I say unless I say something we both understand as a figurative phrase that corresponds to a literal meaning in our shared language.

If I said: "The sermon was astonishing", you should understand that as "The sermon was astonishing".
If I said: "The sermon took my breath away", you should understand that as "The sermon was astonishing"

In English, we share a common understanding that the 2nd phrase means what the 1st phrase says. If a foreigner hears me say the 2nd phrase, they might not believe or understand me because the literalistic meaning is so improbable, and in some cases of figurative language, impossible.

This is the challenge with figurative language in the Bible. We sometimes do not understand that a Jewish (or Biblically associated) figure of speech is being used, so we might assume the literalistic interpretation is absurd, and we invoke another (false) meaning to a text that "makes more sense" in our mind. Every figurative usage in the Bible is either already established in the Jewish culture or in a passage of Scripture.

For example,
Daniel 7 clearly says that the 4 beasts are 4 kingdoms and the 10 horns of the 4th beast are 10 kings.
Revelation 17 - the angels tells John the waters which he saw (earlier) are peoples and multitudes and nations and tongues
(in short, humanity).

“Then I saw a beast rise out of the sea, having ten horns...And the dragon gave him his power and great authority...the whole earth was amazed and followed after the beast...and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who is able to wage war with him?”...It was also given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them (Revelation 13:1–10)​

These symbols are not ambiguous; They are defined either in the passage, somewhere else in the Revelation, or in the Old Testament.

A kingdom will arise out of humanity, composed of ten rulers. Satan will empower it with great authority
and the whole earth will revere it as invincible, and it will be empowered to destroy the saints in war.

Now go read Daniel 2, 7, 8, 11 and evaluate its legitimacy. The whole Revelation can be understood without ambiguity by just taking God's word at face value and apprehending what we do not (yet) understand.

Now there are many more details I could have mentioned and defined in the Revelation 13 passage, but I gave just some key points to get the main picture across. The book of Revelation is a timeline of vision, expressed in symbols, and grounded in reality. I know that is an intense example because there are so many Biblically established figures of speech lumped together in the book (518 OT references in 22 chapters). But that is how you go about understanding Biblically established figurative language. As for the (already established) Jewish figures of speech, which are intrinsic to the culture, you can identify many from their usage and association to other things in the Bible, or you can independently study cultural concepts that don't make sense in our language (English).
That was well written.

In honesty I think a walk-through of the book of Revelation showing a link to the interpretation within the bible of each such word or phrase would be helpful. You worded that well and presented your conclusion "We can objectively understand this passage as something like:" in a way that allows the reader to agree with you on the agreeable while also being allowed to internally adjust what they find disagreeable...because of the underlined portions. That's well-received and impressive.

If you can maintain that style of writing, I'm thinking you will do quite well. And I'd be interested to read the analysis of Revelation...though I am a bit skeptical of the market-perceived value of the same analysis on the rest of the bible.

Love in Jesus, and thanks for writting the quoted post,
Kelby

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
That was well written.

In honesty I think a walk-through of the book of Revelation showing a link to the interpretation within the bible of each such word or phrase would be helpful. You worded that well and presented your conclusion "We can objectively understand this passage as something like:" in a way that allows the reader to agree with you on the agreeable while also being allowed to internally adjust what they find disagreeable...because of the underlined portions. That's well-received and impressive.

If you can maintain that style of writing, I'm thinking you will do quite well. And I'd be interested to read the analysis of Revelation...though I am a bit skeptical of the market-perceived value of the same analysis on the rest of the bible.

Love in Jesus, and thanks for writting the quoted post,
Kelby
Thank you for the kind words.
As for the rest of the Bible, I would just call this deductive reasoning.
For example, Jesus gave a group of kingdom parables (Matt 13, Mk 4, Lk 8) after the Pharisees rebuked Him as "Beelzebul".
Jesus said something interesting in Mark's account:

“And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?” (Mark 4:13)​

He proceeds to explain the components:

seed = the word
birds = Satan
soil = the heart
etc.

The key to understanding all the parables is understanding this first parable (and what each component corresponds to).

“Jesus answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven,
but to them it has not been granted.”
(Matthew 13:11)​

This is one example of how figurative language outside of the Revelation still is interpreted the same way...by explicit and unambiguous association.
In my study of figurative language, I have noticed that trees often refer to nations (Judg 9, Matt 13, 24, Ezk 15, 21, 31, Lk 13, 21, Dan 4, Rev 22, Rom 11 ). Also, some of the symbols often occur in close proximity to each other while maintaining their symbolic meaning (e.g. birds and trees - Dan 4, Ezk 31, Matt 13).
Other common symbols are horns, bones, arrows, serpents, hands, beasts, etc.

It's all very fascinating...especially when you factor in numerology into it all.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
All Christian people accept the Bible is true and God's words to the world.

Why do we join in community and not discuss but argue over what the various teachings or supporting passages are actually saying?
Is it up to us to translate God's words to our liking?

And why is it that in most all Christian communities the BDF, Bible Discussion Forum, is the most incendiary , drama filled, anger filled, confrontational, mean, board of any other on any Christian community site?
People come on here and try to lead other Christians into their obvious error.

It is good to show everyone that error so they don't go down the same path.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021

Why do we join in community and not discuss but argue over what the various teachings or supporting passages are actually saying?

And why is it that in most all Christian communities the BDF, Bible Discussion Forum, is the most incendiary , drama filled, anger filled, confrontational, mean, board of any other on any Christian community site?
It never used to be this way.

But the answer to your question is Pride.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I brought up discussion in my concordance, and there is much scripture has to say about Paul reasoning with groups about scripture.
When some were becoming hardened and disobedient, Paul left and asked his disciples to leave the area.

Paul would reason but he would not argue.

I have noticed that the Christians on this site who believe in following Christ as Christ lives within us never argue, they discuss. They never belittle other posters. Christ said to "follow me". Those who take that seriously are peace makers, they are not contentious.

1 Timothy 1:6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion,

2ndTimothyGroup

Feb 20, 2021
The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection according to the Scriptures (1 Cor 15:1-4)
As to what the gospel does for us...that is a longer discussion.

I have not written any formal work yet. But someday I would like to write a commentary of the Bible. I will have my AA from a secular college in June, but I plan to transfer to a Christian university this fall to get (at least) a MA and pursue a professorship and pastoral ministry later. I'd like to teach systematic and/or Biblical theology at a seminary.
I appreciate your ambitions. I once longed to be a teacher (of some sort) in a modern-day church, though I do not any longer. The two primary reasons for such is that I'm not interested in the fact that an incredibly high percentage of people do not agree, at all, on the meaning of Scripture. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be able to offer my "sermon" in full concentration as I looked across the "flock" of "my" church, realizing that nearly all don't agree with me. And then there is the senseless fighting and bickering, such as what we see, here.

Second, the more I can to learn about the Bible, the more I recognize that what I believed kept changing. What's the point in being a teacher or preaching if I keep realizing how wrong I have been? Or, it is reasonable to think that "finally I have arrived! I've finally gotten the Bible figured out!" Another example of this is: Nearly 30 years ago I wrote a personal book on how to be happy. Needless to say, I was utterly miserable, wishing that I were not alive for, at that point in my life, about fifteen years of my living. It is a collection of writings at about 260 pages. I'm both glad and thankful that I wrote that material, but I no longer agree with the entire set of contents today. This lends to the idea of the futility of being a teacher. Why be a teacher if one day I will come to realize that the things I wrote were in error? And, how horrific it is to realize that what I once taught people was wrong. Having felt the Raw, Almighty Power of God to the degree that I nearly died, the thought of teaching things that are wrong is enough to cause me to take heed to the teaching that many of us should not be teachers. If we aren't extremely afraid of being wrong in our teachings, then I'm not certain that being a preacher or teacher is a wise thing to do.

Before you continue in your writings, I would focus on getting the Gospel figured out. I would get that concept nailed down before anything else. We don't want to be like the rest of the World. Doesn't it seem reasonable that we would have that particular writing first and foremost? After all, the Gospel is the essence of our Faith. The Gospel is the "Story of God," but is that really the Gospel or is that just another way of merely describing the Gospel? The Gospel is never offered in the form of a mere description, rather, the True Gospel is to be offered by explanation. There is a gulf of a difference between describing the Gospel, and explaining the Gospel.

When a person claims that, "The Gospel is the Good News of Jesus Christ!" - That is folly. The "Good News" is not the Gospel, but instead, the "Good News" is a mere title to a chapter of a potential of a book. The contents of the chapter are an explanation of the description; the title of the chapter. No one can knock on a door and say, "The Good News of Jesus Christ" and save a soul through that message. There must be an explanation, the same explanation that Phillip gave to the Eunuch; the same explanation that Paul and his companions gave to the Jailer and his family. But what is the entire package? What did they actually teach? Or, was Phillip only in the carriage for a mere ten seconds . . . or, did he enter the chariot because the explanation took a while to diseminate?

Check this out and be amazed: Once I became honest with myself and proclaimed that I really didn't know what the Gospel was (beyond the standard quips that I was blurting out for several decades), I wanted to understand why. I also realized that because of the Internet, I could write to virtually every pastor in America, if not the English-speaking world, and ask every church to explain the Gospel to me. In my introduction, I stated that I wasn't requiring that they spend the time to type it out, but if they would like, they could simply send a copy of a pre-written sermon that outlined the Gospel, or send a pre-written, personal explanation of the Gospel that they had previously written. The results? Not one had a sermon or a pre-written explanation of the Gospel that they were able o send to me. To make sure, I asked them point-blank if they had either a sermon or pre-written paper that they could send to me . . . not one of them did. Holy Cow! It's no wonder that "we" don't understand the Gospel, for were not being taught.

In these communications, not one of them mentioned Abraham and why he is our Father of Faith. Not one of them mentioned the Spiritual Circumcision of Jesus. Spiritual Circumcision was instituted in the life of Abraham . . . how can this be ignored? I would not suggest that the Gospel [is] Spiritual Circumcision, for this would be another chapter title, but instead, I would say that the Gospel [revolves] around Spiritual Circumcision. Any True form of the Gospel must include the teaching of the Circumcision of Christ and what it means. Any True and whole Gospel must include the explanation of the Purpose of Christ, the Work of Christ, and the Effect of Christ. Again, those three points are mere chapter titles, but it is the explanation of them wherein we will come to understand the Gospel.

And so, as it became most evident, no one is knocking on my door to explain the Gospel because we do not understand it. We THINK we do, but in our foggy minds, we must conclude that we really do not. There is a reason for why I can walk into virtually any church and I will [not] hear people talking about the core and center of our Faith . . . the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Instead, I will hear people lighting and talking about worldly things. Anyone who has the Gospel Truly embedded within their hearts cannot contain themselves; nothing is more important. Yet, we do not hear this Love of the Gospel when we enter into churches. The last church I attended happened to be "Baptist." The pastor, for the seven months that I attended, didn't even reference the Holy Name of Jesus from the pulpit a single time. We did learn, however, about gun safety, his favorite burger joint, and how to make papyrus paper multiple times.

Here is what I would recommend that you do: Create an Excel spreadsheet and begin keeping track of every Bible passage that address the question . . . "What is the Gospel of Jesus?" Get yourself a timeline, chronological reading of the entire Bible, and begin with Genesis chapters 1 through 3 as day one. Learn the story of the Bible, for the Gospel is discovered in the "Story of God." Paul talks about the Mysterious Plan in Ephesians chapters 2 and 3. Before each reading, consider his words that pertain to this Mysterious Plan, and consider Colossians 2:9-15 before each reading. As said, after you have consider these three sets of passages, begin your daily reading of the entire Bible in a timeline, chronological order. If you do this, you will hold a primary advantage over nearly all people that you speak with regarding the Holy Word of God.

In your youth, you are wise and I admire you. Do not be like the pastors that I have written to that were unprepared to share the Gospel in a realistic form. We should be prepared to offer the Gospel before we offer anything else. The ability to share the Gospel is of first importance. It must be clear in our minds. Lastly, I would add this: If someone asks me to explain the Gospel (and no one ever does, especially in a church), the first response should be, "How much time do we have?" The reason for this is that we can give it in a matter of minutes, or we could spend an entire year reading of the Gospel in a timeline, chronological order. The Gospel is simple, yet it is complex.

I believe in you.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
There are over 5000 denominations. I highly doubt God will throw out 4999 of them and pick the closest one to His liking.

Mar 4, 2020
God tells us to be humble also. Mud slinging because people disagree with you is not humble in any conversation!
What do you define as mud slinging? I mean, I’m pretty sure some people might define a personal attack as telling them they aren’t humble. How come we never hear anything about how to not be perpetually offended?

1 Corinthians 13 comes to mind.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
What do you define as mud slinging? I mean, I’m pretty sure some people might define a personal attack as telling them they aren’t humble. How come we never hear anything about how to not be perpetually offended?

1 Corinthians 13 comes to mind.
if you say you disagree with someone, You see it this way (and explain how you see it). Its a disagreement

When you called them stupid, unlearned, Not able to read or comprehend or other sarcastic comment, You are mudslinging

And by the way, When someone calls another out for mudslinging, It does not mean they are offended or weak. they are just calling them out for being rude..

If we mudslinging and can not humble admit when we are called out (I believe we all can do it in the heat of an argument) then we are the one with the issue, not the other.

de-emerald

May 8, 2021

When you understand that Christians make mistakes , then maybe your anti Christian behaviour will cease. It's clear your listening to lies that's Christian should always be Christian, kind hearted and set a good example and be loving like Jesus and if there not, then there bad people all together,. guess what we can be tough in clamping anti Christian behaviour, but not all of the time, so get of your high horse and quit being anti Christian, and painting Christians to be mean hearted because they have shown anger,

how about your comments that insight anger, ? Don't put the lord your God to the test, and quit listening to lies and temptation to find fault with Christians attitude.

Mar 4, 2020
if you say you disagree with someone, You see it this way (and explain how you see it). Its a disagreement

When you called them stupid, unlearned, Not able to read or comprehend or other sarcastic comment, You are mudslinging

And by the way, When someone calls another out for mudslinging, It does not mean they are offended or weak. they are just calling them out for being rude..

If we mudslinging and can not humble admit when we are called out (I believe we all can do it in the heat of an argument) then we are the one with the issue, not the other.
I think it comes down to tact. Some people don’t have good reading comprehension and that’s apparent on a medium where the sole form of communication is reading. There are good ways to tell people this and bad ways.

I think it’s best to just not give unsolicited advice even when it’s constructive and intentions are good. I think the sensibilities of people are very easily offended on this message board. In my culture, people aren’t easily offended. So what I see is there is not an objective right or wrong here.

allsaved

Sep 13, 2015
Many interpret Scriptures to coincide with what they want to believe. And when this happens, Scripture no longer becomes the Word of God but the word of the person who is interpreting Scripture for their own benefit.

For example,
(in short, humanity).

I won't dispute what you say because I am not informed regarding it. But I would like to make a side-note here:
Who or what is right or wrong is in most cases not important because most of the things we are contentious about are not salvation issues. To be wrong is not sinful nor should our discussions regarding them become arguments. In regard to the father and the son. All who believe on the son have eternal life. Jesus says if we love God most and others as we love ourselves, we have met all of the commandments. I enjoy bible study and I love discussing it. But who's right or wrong in regard to worldly matters is of little concern for we that believe (all of us). Throughout the first 5 centuries of
christianity, Christians didn't even have the Bible. Thank God they had and we have the Holy Spirit who writes His word on our hearts. Thank you for listening.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are over 5000 denominations. I highly doubt God will throw out 4999 of them and pick the closest one to His liking.
Just make that over 50 (and remove the last two zeros). More like over 30. God will not be examining denominations per se. He will be examining individuals regardless of denomination.