Why do you think Judas actually betrayed Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
Is a man fully responsible if there mentally unwell.[/QUOTE]

When I think about the question of who will or will not go to Heaven, I really believe we should leave the answer to God. He knows far more about the individual than we do. Yes, the Lord will judge fairly. He always does.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Satan enter Judas after he ate the bread, and Paul tells us whoever eats unworthily does it to his own damnation. So imagine, Jesus is revealing, 'this is My body, broken for you..." and Judas' mindset was likely along the thought line of, "...is this meeting going to run very much longer?" Judas was not 'impressed' with Jesus, and among the primary indications of that was his criticism of Jesus acceptance of his feet being anointed with expensive oil that could've been sold for 'better things.'

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Judas never believed Jesus was God’s Son. He called Him Rabbi and master, but never Lord, and certainly didn’t believe Jesus was the promised Messiah.

THAT was the crux of his, and anyone else's problem, unbelief.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Judas never believed Jesus was God’s Son. He called Him Rabbi and master, but never Lord, and certainly didn’t believe Jesus was the promised Messiah.

THAT was the crux of his, and anyone else's problem, unbelief.
I think Judas did know who Jesus was but it's like he really didn't care. Some people are like this today. They know Jesus is the Son of God and they know what Christ did for them on the cross but it's almost like they don't care 😔

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
When Judas took back the money and said he had made a mistake is he repenting? Thanks 😊
Hmmm, I don't really know for sure.

Many people say that he didn't truly repent, but I can't remember if a specific Scripture passage says that or not.

There is a difference between Godly sorrow and worldly sorrow, but I don't know what went through Judas' head.

Now that I think about it, perhaps Jesus' parable about the wheat and tares was also a veiled reference to Judas.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Hmmm, I don't really know for sure.

Many people say that he didn't truly repent, but I can't remember if a specific Scripture passage says that or not.

There is a difference between Godly sorrow and worldly sorrow, but I don't know what went through Judas' head.

Now that I think about it, perhaps Jesus' parable about the wheat and tares was also a veiled reference to Judas.
It just seems like way such a change in character. Judas was a thief and would help himself to the money from the money bags. To me that says this man has a love and greed for money. So why after he got his hands on the 30 pieces of silver why take it back? Then to go off and kill himself. I think he knew he done wrong and his guilty conscience got the better of him.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
There are two kinds of sorrow: worldly sorrow and Godly sorrow. 2 Corinthians 7:10 "For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death." Satan entered Judas because he had an evil heart; and Satan used Judas to serve his purpose. Later, after all was said and done, Judas realized he had made a big mistake. But he didn't have true sorrow and repentance toward God; he was just overcome with grief and regret for his own mistake. A distinct difference with Peter who was truly sorry toward God.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
It just seems like way such a change in character. Judas was a thief and would help himself to the money from the money bags. To me that says this man has a love and greed for money. So why after he got his hands on the 30 pieces of silver why take it back? Then to go off and kill himself. I think he knew he done wrong and his guilty conscience got the better of him.
"saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.” They replied, “What is that to us? See to that yourself!”. It is amazing how some just know Judas really was not sorry. So much that he killed himself over it yet Peter denies Christ and cries.. Peter meant it though? Looking at this from the out side would seem Judas was really sorry and meant it yet God knows the heart for Christ said all you gave me I still have but for one that was lost. Yeah you can't get passed that. How many people saw what Christ did day in day out heard Him speak how many times. Then He shares something one day and everyone leaves but 12 "will you live me also?" Was it not Peter that said "Where will we go you have words of eternal life". It didn't say people it said "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "

You know I just told Him the other day.. if I was born before Christ I don't think I would have made it. I see even here and all over how some believers talk about other believers, what we watch, read and yet will turn right around "I LOVE YOU JESUS". So this just makes me want to fall on my face saying sorry forgive me over and over and thank you forever.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Jesus called Judas a son of perdition, which means, doomed to destruction. Jesus knew Judas
was not "clean" and had not believed from the beginning. There is only one unforgivable sin.
“While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.”
‭‭John‬ ‭17:12‬ ‭

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Luke 22:3
Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

Yes, but he never went back to Jesus and then he committed suicide so he's in hell now.
“And in the evening he cometh with the twelve. And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me. And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I? And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish. The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭14:17-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I always think it must have been so hard for Jesus to be around Judas knowing all the time what he was going to do 😔
Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, Which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭41:9‬ ‭

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
1 Corinthians 3:16,17
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man destroys the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
One of the few contradictions is Judas manner of death after betraying Jesus Peter says this referencing David writing in the psalms of Judas betrayal and Peter reports a different manner of death

“Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood. For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, And let no man dwell therein: and His bishoprick let another take.
‭‭Acts‬ ‭1:16-20‬ ‭

Of course adding to other prophecy regarding the matter of potter field and the silver which was the price of Jesus betrayal and our redemption from slavery to sin

“And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.”
‭‭Zechariah‬ ‭11:12-13‬ ‭

“Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, and said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26:14-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

My conclusion as to the contradiction is that Judas hanged himself and later on the rope broke and when he fell his innards burst out after he’d been dead a few days but it’s all speculation

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Thanks for all your help. I have a really bad habit of trying to see the good in people I guess with Judas there wasn't any good. He was always lost.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Satan enter Judas after he ate the bread, and Paul tells us whoever eats unworthily does it to his own damnation. So imagine, Jesus is revealing, 'this is My body, broken for you..." and Judas' mindset was likely along the thought line of, "...is this meeting going to run very much longer?" Judas was not 'impressed' with Jesus, and among the primary indications of that was his criticism of Jesus acceptance of his feet being anointed with expensive oil that could've been sold for 'better things.'
One of the things I find quite interesting in the "last supper" scenario is the fact that each of the disciples
questioned whether it was them who would betray Jesus.
Matthew 26:20 When evening came, Jesus was
reclining with the twelve disciples. 21 And while they were eating, He said to them,
“Truly I tell you, one of
you will betray Me.”
22 They were deeply grieved and began to ask Him one after another, “Surely not I, Lord?”

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
One of the things I find quite interesting in the "last supper" scenario is the fact that each of the disciples
questioned whether it was them who would betray Jesus.
Matthew 26:20 When evening came, Jesus was
reclining with the twelve disciples. 21 And while they were eating, He said to them,
“Truly I tell you, one of
you will betray Me.”
22 They were deeply grieved and began to ask Him one after another, “Surely not I, Lord?”
That may well show us an essential component of repentance which, though it may have appeared that Peter had lacked it, he must've possessed at least an ounce of humility enough as the rest of them to know they're propensity for error.