Why does God allow abuse?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I thought I posted this in the BDF. Sorry.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
"If your God is so good
Tell me why so much pain?
I'm not sure, not so sure
That God is to blame"

Might as well ask why the Ford motor company allows me to do things that are bad for my car. They know it would hurt my car to put koolaid in the oil pan instead of oil. Why don't they do anything to stop me from putting koolaid in it? I mean the oil cap is just right there under the hood, I could dump anything I want in there and it would cause a lot of damage. Ford really should do something to stop me from doing that.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Because he allows free will
I understand he allows freewill, but the real reason I ask is because of cases like this boy who was in the news here. He was tortured, beaten, burned and shot with a bb gun by his parents (both of them) until he finally died of his injuries. The only way they found out was because they took him to the hospital and the staff there noticed bruises and stuff. They found bb's embedded in his skin. His teeth were knocked out by a baseball bat (they figured out it was a baseball bat). He was only 8 years old. They determined that the abuse had gone on for years. Why does God allow that stuff to happen? I'll be honest... I'm really ready to give up on my faith. Not because of this story, but things that I've been dealing with personally. Things that have got me really questioning god... if he really is who he says he is. If he's all-powerful and good, why does he allow an innocent, helpless child to die a slow torturous death?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I understand he allows freewill, but the real reason I ask is because of cases like this boy who was in the news here. He was tortured, beaten, burned and shot with a bb gun by his parents (both of them) until he finally died of his injuries. The only way they found out was because they took him to the hospital and the staff there noticed bruises and stuff. They found bb's embedded in his skin. His teeth were knocked out by a baseball bat (they figured out it was a baseball bat). He was only 8 years old. Why does God allow that stuff to happen? I'll be honest... I'm really reasy to give up on my faith. Not because of this story, but things that I've been dealing with personally. Things that have got me really questioning god... if he really is who he says he is. If he's all-powerful and good, why does he allow an innocent, helpless child to die a slow torturous death?
He will pay for it.
Demons bring people to do such things. God allows it for a whilewhile. But everyone will be held accountable. God is still on the throne. Asking questions like u do is meant to weaken and dismantels ur faith. Dont let the devils work, shock and make u tremble

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
Why does God allow abuse?
I don't know really, I mean it is something we've all pondered and will ponder. Ultimately all is to God's glory; (an exhibition of his divine attributes, revealing his character and nature) yet it is all mysterious.

We were teaching and talking about this in our daily Bible and prayer with our 8 year old daughter just last evening. She continues to talk about how it's so hard to understand that God has always existed and how it is such a remarkable thing to consider. She is really enjoying going through the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith.

Anyhow, we told her "someday" we will know the answers to these things more clearly, right now we trust in our LORD God.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
He will pay for it.
Demons bring people to do such things. God allows it for a whilewhile. But everyone will be held accountable. God is still on the throne. Asking questions like u do is meant to weaken and dismantels ur faith. Dont let the devils work, shock and make u tremble
The boyfriend got the death penalty (it wasn't even the kid's father). I forget what the mother got. The boy's name was Gabriel Fernandez if anyone's interested.

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
I understand he allows freewill, but the real reason I ask is because of cases like this boy who was in the news here. He was tortured, beaten, burned and shot with a bb gun by his parents (both of them) until he finally died of his injuries. The only way they found out was because they took him to the hospital and the staff there noticed bruises and stuff. They found bb's embedded in his skin. His teeth were knocked out by a baseball bat (they figured out it was a baseball bat). He was only 8 years old. They determined that the abuse had gone on for years. Why does God allow that stuff to happen? I'll be honest... I'm really ready to give up on my faith. Not because of this story, but things that I've been dealing with personally. Things that have got me really questioning god... if he really is who he says he is. If he's all-powerful and good, why does he allow an innocent, helpless child to die a slow torturous death?
God is testing your faith bro. Seriously consider reading the Baptist confession of Faith. Consider, meditate on and ponder the words of Job in Job 2:10. Study out the fall of man, his true state before God, and the character and nature of God and his attributes. I'd suggest The Existence and Attributes of God by Stephen Charnock. You can also get the book free if you search the web. It is long, but worth the read. Arthur W. Pink also has a similar book.

Please do not take offense here, anyone, but much of the problem today is due to a weak pulpit, mitigation of biblical truths, dumbing down the Gospel, and emasculation (attempted) of God.

Listen to some apologetics on "the problem of evil." Here is one:

God bless you brother zeroturbulence on your journey with him.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
People have asked some version about why God allows bad things to happen probably since the fall. I'm not sure I have sufficient time before work to even begin to formulate a halfway decent answer, so I'll just rephrase / ask some follow on questions for now:

What kind of world would it be if God prevented anything too bad from happening?
How might our perspective of what was too bad to be allowed to happen change if God did prevent the worst things we know now?
How do we know that God hasn't set a limit, albeit different from the one we would set, for the worst things that he will allow to happen?

preacher4truth

Dec 28, 2016
Please consider this short video as well:

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The suffering human beings experience in this world is clear evidence to us that the creation we live in is a fallen creation,, a sabotaged creation ( by satan), a corrupted creation..

Believing or disbelieving in God will not change the current situation for us.. Believers live in an evil world and sometimes they get caught up in the suffering that comes because of it.. Likewise the unbelievers also get caught up in it and suffer..

But as believers we have HOPE for a better eternal future. Not just better but indeed perfect.
What Hope does an unbeliever have??? Nothing..

God has allowed the world to suffer from the effects of human beings coming to the knowledge of good and evil.. For a time.. But each and every human being only lives a life time in this world but for Eternity in the next.. Tully what the Bible says is true.. The suffering we have in this world will be considered as nothing compared to the joy we shall have in eternity.. Yes even for that little boy in your post who was abused all his short life..

With God we have Hope and a future
Without God we have no hope and no prospects for a future..

Romans 8: KJV
18 "For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. {19} For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
People have asked some version about why God allows bad things to happen probably since the fall. I'm not sure I have sufficient time before work to even begin to formulate a halfway decent answer, so I'll just rephrase / ask some follow on questions for now:

What kind of world would it be if God prevented anything too bad from happening?
How might our perspective of what was too bad to be allowed to happen change if God did prevent the worst things we know now?
How do we know that God hasn't set a limit, albeit different from the one we would set, for the worst things that he will allow to happen?
A cogent point. Human brains only seem to have one scale, and we resize all our experiences to fit, as Randal Monroe said.

Now you have me imagining a world where nothing really "bad" as we know it ever happens... and somebody stubs his toe on the corner of a chair and starts questioning why God would allow such a terrible thing to happen, because that's the worst thing they know.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Your ready to give up on your faith in WHO Jesus is, and WHAT Jesus has done? What faith are you ready to give up on?

We live in a fallen, broken world. This fall came about because of MAN'S sin, not Gods. God loves us so much that He gave us His Son to be abused, ridiculed, tortured, and die. Did HE deserve this abuse?

Who is it that wants to kill, steal, and destroy? The One who died for us or the enemy of our very soul?

I understand your heartache and frustration brother. How can I not? But where is that boy today? I am certain he is with the Lord in paradise for all eternity.

Quantrill

Sep 20, 2018
Why did God allow His Son to go through a torturous death? Why didn't He create another way to remove our sins instead of through a fallen world and the evil of satan and men judged?

God is all powerful and good. And man is learning that not only does He have the power to rule, but that it is best when He rules. How do we learn that, by seeing and experiencing the evil itself. By seeing what living in a world under the dominion of satan is like.

Can you not hear satan whisper, 'how do you like me now'?

Quantrill

M

Miri

God doesn’t allow abuse. It’s people who allow abuse.

It’s like saying why did God allow Adam and Eve to eat from the
tree.

G

Gracie_14

This reminds me of a pastor. This guy was full-blown on fire for God..his sermons were always spot on, he led many people to Christ... he was being used by God in many ways....that was when it was never the same again....

He happened to be on the couch flicking through TV and saw the devastation going on in Haiti...how the people were without homes, without clothes.... without anything for means of survival...and he started questioning.... How could God allow this? How could this tremendous suffering go on like this in His sight? He doubted and became bitter...why? Cause he questioned the Lord. He then created his own God in his image...he came up with all these false ideologies that God isn't who He says he is....you should see him now. Absolute apostate preacher....

We live in a broken world, Gabe... and God is up there, weeping for His children.... He longs to save them, but He gave us free will. Sin permeates the world...you gotta realize that.... :)

G

Gracie_14

Your ready to give up on your faith in WHO Jesus is, and WHAT Jesus has done? What faith are you ready to give up on?

We live in a fallen, broken world. This fall came about because of MAN'S sin, not Gods. God loves us so much that He gave us His Son to be abused, ridiculed, tortured, and die. Did HE deserve this abuse?

Who is it that wants to kill, steal, and destroy? The One who died for us or the enemy of our very soul?

I understand your heartache and frustration brother. How can I not? But where is that boy today? I am certain he is with the Lord in paradise for all eternity.
This is actually the best explanation :)

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Zero,

I'm really sorry for all the struggles you've been having.

When I was about 13, there was a local news story about a 9-year-old boy who hung himself with a pair of shoelaces. I remember thinking, "How could God allow the world to be such a terrible place in which a boy that young would even consider such a thing?" :(

So I definitely understand what it's like to have the kinds of questions you're asking. I also think about things such as our war veterans who see their best friends die in the most horrible ways, but then are somehow expected to come home and get normal jobs and raise families and live regular lives as if nothing happened. There were many things I wanted to say here, but several other posters have already said them, and probably in a better way than I would have phrased it.

Have you ever heard of the Christian author, Philip Yancey? His books almost read like journals in which he documents his own struggles with these same kinds of questions.

His writings are honest and heartfelt. Two of his books that helped me dramatically are, "Where is God When It Hurts?" and "Disappointment with God." He even writes about the fact that his publishers wanted him to change the title of his book to "Overcoming Disappointment with God" because it sounded more "Christian-like", but he stood by his original title because he is honest about the fact that he didn't completely conquer his own disappointment.

If you can't find these books or can't get access to them, feel free to let me know and I'll send you my copies. :)

I will be praying that God will answer your yearning heart.

Don't give up, Gabe.

Keep asking, seeking, knocking. <3

W

Wild

Free will of fallen mankind. God will set everything right and take vengeance on those that deserve it and forgive those that ask for it and choose to be covered by the blood of the lamb. God does not intervene but watches to see the true intentions of mans hearts, judgement comes later.