Why does it please God when we worship and adore? Does he have an ego like humans do?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Focusing on God and thus His perfection is a Good thing for us to do.. It is not about God needing worship and praise as if God suffers from the need of an ego trip.. It is for our benefit to spend some time focusing on and acknowledging the awesome perfection that God is..

Same thing in regards to prayer.. We receive the benefit from praying to God..
Right on!

God does not benefit from our praise, we are benefited when we praise. It is putting our hearts and minds on the things of God.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
What does God have gratitude for, or who would He give thanks to? I mean, would He say, "thank you," after we offer Him praise in the same way that mom might after her family notes the expertise in her cooking skills? She worked diligently to acquire the skill that, I imagine come 'naturally' to God. Its nice when somebody appreciates you, isn't it tho?
Well, there are a couple of biblical records of Jesus giving thanks; not after being prepared a meal, not after getting his feet washed, nor even after Simon the Cyrenian carried his cross, but both instances were before He broke bread, which we now do in remembrance of Him. And, He said of Himself, "I am meek and lowly in heart," so I'm not sure anyone can be egotistic and still qualify as gentle and humble in heart and so claim that in truth. Yes, I suppose it pleases Him to be adored as much as it would any of us, tho He is altogether worthy and surely He, is if anyone is, well aware that praise is a freewill gift that we can possibly even have to offer that doesn't come wasn't His wouldn't be considered a 're-gift'.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
As I think of what you said.. its with in us no? It is me "All the earth worships you and sings praises to you; they sing praises to your name. "

“For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. "

"Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens; praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his hosts! Praise him, sun and moon, praise him, all you shining stars! Praise him, you highest heavens, and you waters above the heavens! Let them praise the name of the Lord! For he commanded and they were created"

Everything He made loves to praise Him..wants to. Its a joy that can not be contained. Christ even said I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”

The JOY of the LORD is our strength. Its praise adoration and respect reverence. No one but GOD is worth of praise.

"You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”

Feb 29, 2020
I've been told that it pleases God to be worshiped and adored.
He rather you obey him:

This is what God thinks of disobedient worshippers:

1 Samuel 15:22 KJV
[22] And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord ? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Proverbs 28:9 KJV
[9] He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

Isaiah 1:11-17 KJV
[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord : I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. [12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? [13] Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. [14] Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. [15] And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. [16] Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; [17] Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

Amos 5:21,23-24 KJV
[21] I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. [23] Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. [24] But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
You need to read the Bible. I realize you have said you are a new Christian. That is the best time to start! I started reading the Bible the day I was saved. You might want to read the 4 gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Read the Psalms and you will learn so much about worshipping God, in good times and bad.

Then, you might want to start reading through the Bible. Read 3 chapters of the Old Testament, and 1 chapter of the New Testament daily and you will read through the entire Bible in a year. Find a newer version, which is easy to read, like NIV, or HCSB. Stick with it even if you don't understand. God gradually has answered all my questions.
as for worshipping God, there is no other joy quite like it!

"But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him." John 4:23

"And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:14-17

"Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness.." Psalm 29:2

"Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land. ..." Psalm 95:1-6

So many more verses I could put up. We worship God for who he is! He is love. He is just, wise, & compassionate. He is the Creator. He is worthy of our praise. While Jesus came to earth as a man, to take our punishment for sin on the cross, you have to understand God is truth, all knowing, all powerful and is everywhere. God is not a person, subject to our rules, but is is the King of kings and Lord of Lords. Don't judge him using our standards. In fact, don't judge God at all! He is holy and perfect. Try praising him, it will change your life.

"Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.” Revelation 4:11

"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!" Psalm 150:6

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Hello and Welcome to CC, Rolene...

Think of it this way... God is love, and His actions and purposes are framed within His love. He is pleased when we worship Him because He knows that it is good for us to worship Him (and very bad for us when we worship other entities or things). Ego has nothing to do with it; if it did, He would not be worthy of it. Our highest purpose is to worship God.

Imagine, if you will, a master builder of custom cars. He crafts nearly every component in his machine shop, looking forward to the day that he fires up the engine and drives it for the first time. Finally, that day comes, and he turns the key. The engine roars to life, he applies the clutch and shifts the transmission into gear, and gently applies pressure to the gas pedal. The car drives like a dream, and its maker is immensely pleased, not because it is taking him where he wants to go, but because the car is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

So it is with us when we worship God.
That my brother is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I got so much out of that post and it truly blessed me.

There was something that I wanted to add to that but I did not because I did not want to detract from it.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I messaged Dino concerning not wishing to add to his post as not wishing to detract.

He said he was ok for me to do so.

The following was what I talked to him about

A car precision made needs a tune up every now and then.
When it's not working correctly it needs the mechanic to diagnose the problem and deal with it.

In a sense I relate that to sanctification.

The Holy Spirit is our mechanic and he deals with parts of us that are not working properly that causes us to splutter like a faulty spark plug.

That being the case God is still pleased with us he is just giving us an MOT (MOT ever here is a test done to allow the car to be driven)

Problem fixed in our lives and walk with him.

Added side note.

It pleases God when we come to him and say "I feel I need an MOT.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Welcome to our community! :D

I've been told that it pleases God to be worshiped and adored. Why would he want/need anything from outside of himself? I'm truly confused by this.
Yes! The first ages old God complex in recorded history.
Isaiah 48:9–11 (ESV)
9 “For my name’s sake I defer my anger;
for the sake of my praise I restrain it for you,
that I may not cut you off.
10 Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver;
I have tried you in the furnace of affliction.
11 For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it,

for how should

F

Fundamental

I've been told that it pleases God to be worshiped and adored. Why would he want/need anything from outside of himself? I'm truly confused by this.
Well, satan is the father of all lies. Not worshipping God alone makes you vulnerable for these lies. God also refered to Himself as a jealous God, meaning His scripture alone. Meaning not to mix His scripture with others.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Worshipping God is a celebration of everything we know in our hearts is great about him.

Aug 2, 2009
Good question. My answer is: If anyone deserves to have an ego, it's God.