Why is praying in tongues necessary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
They would need the spirit to pray what for us, from time to time? What would be the purpose if we did not understand?
your asking me? you should be asking God, it's His bible
Romans 8:26-27 (KJV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

At 27 my wife and mother of our 2 children was diagnosed with cancer. i remember going to the chapel in the hospital and finding myself agonizing before God to spare my wife. there was times i felt like i was going out of my mind. i remember crying, moaning and groaning before God, to be honest i didnt know how to pray during that time but thank God "the Spirit helpeth......when we dont know how to pray He does and prays for us!

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
your asking me? you should be asking God, it's His bible
Romans 8:26-27 (KJV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

At 27 my wife and mother of our 2 children was diagnosed with cancer. i remember going to the chapel in the hospital and finding myself agonizing before God to spare my wife. there was times i felt like i was going out of my mind. i remember crying, moaning and groaning before God, to be honest i didnt know how to pray during that time but thank God "the Spirit helpeth......when we dont know how to pray He does and prays for us!
If life has never hit you hard enough that you don't even know how to pray, just hold on, eventually it will

Dec 12, 2013
At first sight, the "groanings" signified by the Greek "stenagmoi" in Romans 8: 26 need not refer to tongues. But that changes when it is realized that the phrase "groans without normal speaking" occurs in its Latin equivalent at Delphi, where it refers to ecstatic gibberish that needs interpretation. That is the linguistic background of its use in Romans. So when we speak in tongues, the Spirit intercedes through us for what we really need to pray for, as opposed to what we imagine we need.

Beyond that, I should speak from experience. Except in my youth, I rarely ever attend a Pentecostal or Charismatic church. Yet when O was Loosing my faith as a skeptical 16 year old, an unexpected experience of praying in tongues restored my faith and was so electrifying that it instantly removed my doubts and changed the quality of my mind so dramatically that it transformed me from an ordinary tudent into someone who got his Masters at Princeton and my doctorate at Harvard. There is scarcely a week that goes by decades later in which I fail to draw great inspiration from the mere memory of that fateful day, by far the happiest day of my life!

The experience "ambushed" me as I knelt alone in prayer in a darkened amphitheater on a lakeside campground. I was a depressed skeptic who was challenging God to make Himself real to me. Suddenly, there was a supernatural wind that I at first thought came off the nearby lake. Overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit, I found myself speaking in tongues, as wave after wave of liquid love surged through my being, each more intense than the last. The commotion drew spectators and one lady later told me that my face was glowing in the dark. Finally, a Lutheran pastor interrupted me, telling me he didn't believe in that sort of thing. But when I gently touched him, he exploded in other tongues! Interestingly, I have seldom felt prompted to speak in tongues in the decades after that experience. But I absolutely revere the memory and have no doubt that if any of you had the same experience you would hail it as the happiest and richest day of your life.
The richest day of my life was the day I trusted JESUS as my savior by faith which came from the word and not an experience....

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
The experience "ambushed" me as I knelt alone in prayer in a darkened amphitheater on a lakeside campground. I was a depressed skeptic who was challenging God to make Himself real to me. Suddenly, there was a supernatural wind that I at first thought came off the nearby lake. Overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit, I found myself speaking in tongues, as wave after wave of liquid love surged through my being, each more intense than the last. The commotion drew spectators and one lady later told me that my face was glowing in the dark. Finally, a Lutheran pastor interrupted me, telling me he didn't believe in that sort of thing. But when I gently touched him, he exploded in other tongues! Interestingly, I have seldom felt prompted to speak in tongues in the decades after that experience. But I absolutely revere the memory and have no doubt that if any of you had the same experience you would hail it as the happiest and richest day of your life.
Wow. What a great personal testimony. Thanks a million for sharing that with us. I have rarely heard testimony of the rushing wind. So good to hear again. Wow. Just, wow!

Mar 28, 2016
Perhaps you have never experienced not knowing how to pray. It would probably make sense to you if you had.

It's a heavy burden knowing that there is a need or concern, desiring to bring it to the Lord, but not knowing how to express it in words. The Holy Spirit knows exactly what to pray in every situation. He doesn't need us to understand in order to pray about it.
We pray without ceasing taking every thought captive. What the mystery is it not enough that we can pray and believe we are heard on high? Do we extra?

I understand He doesn't need us to understand in order to pray about it. So what's the praying in tongues if not praying in ones own language.? What's the benefit? Does it confirm something? Does it confirm self edification? Like I just made a noise and it confirms something?

Mar 28, 2016
At first sight, the "groanings" signified by the Greek "stenagmoi" in Romans 8: 26 need not refer to tongues. But that changes when it is realized that the phrase "groans without normal speaking" occurs in its Latin equivalent at Delphi, where it refers to ecstatic gibberish that needs interpretation. That is the linguistic background of its use in Romans. So when we speak in tongues, the Spirit intercedes through us for what we really need to pray for, as opposed to what we imagine we need.

Beyond that, I should speak from experience. Except in my youth, I rarely ever attend a Pentecostal or Charismatic church. Yet when O was Loosing my faith as a skeptical 16 year old, an unexpected experience of praying in tongues restored my faith and was so electrifying that it instantly removed my doubts and changed the quality of my mind so dramatically that it transformed me from an ordinary tudent into someone who got his Masters at Princeton and my doctorate at Harvard. There is scarcely a week that goes by decades later in which I fail to draw great inspiration from the mere memory of that fateful day, by far the happiest day of my life!

The possibility of God brining new prophecy (God's word or revelation is sealed with seven seals until the end of time. The air way has been open and the father of lies. Satan, the god of this world he is still allowed to bring signs as lying wonders, with wonders representing a unseen source of faith . The elect will not be deceived they would not violate the commandment to add to the law of God .His Law is perfect .

The richest is day is when I heard the voice of God through the scriptures (as "it" is written) and therefore believed God not seen as a anchor to my soul.

Jesus beginning his ministry proving he was the High Priest after the new order Melchezedek as Kingdom of priests not of this world, men and woman and children alike from all the nations. it would seem his first mission he was sent out into the wilderness as our scapegoat . In Mathew 4 it proved that fleshly experience is not the validator of the unseen spiritual truths . As it is written (prophecy) alone is. Three times the Son of man said.... as it is written again, and again ……….the devil as a fallen angel fled .

.Jesus did not worship as some today are making claims of out of the body experiences, near dead or dead as was Jesus not eating in 40 days he was very vulnerable to following his own fleshly imagination and not the will of the unseen father. He as a example to us walked by the faith that comes from hearing God identified as it is written with the it pointing to the source of faith our unseen God, The faith of Christ.. The treasure we have in these earthen bodies as the power of God ,not of us we have no power of our own .
2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in our earthen vessels that the He bought us with his labor of love at the cross.

Believing things that are not there is opening the unseen spirit world of signs and lying wonders intruding into things of ones imagination, as things which a person has not seen; "by the faith of God as it is written" but rather followed in vain their "puffed up fleshly mind". Showing themselves as faithless, not holding on to the promises but looking to widen the authority of the word of God.

I would be careful how we believe and therefore defend the faith that defends us as the armor of God. It would seem the experience gospel is on the rise . Makes me question the query in Luke ... When Christ comes will he find His faith as it is written working in men or a old outdated book that had lost the authority to give faith to those who have none? And therefore experience has become the new god.

Colossians 2 reminds us of those kind of things that some promote as things not seen things that come from the imagination of ones own fleshly mind. We walk by faith the unseen.

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and "worshipping of angels", intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly "puffed up" by his fleshly mind, Colossians 2

The sign of tongues according to the law or foundation of the doctrine (Isiah 28) What itconfirms is that men refuse to hear the word of God prophecy .But rather have developed their own kind of gospel as a signs and wonders gospel as "oral traditions of men ".

Tongues according to the law is God bringing his interpretation in other language other that Hebrew alone .It is against those who refuse to hear prophecy as the final authority in the unseen things of God. It confirm them as unbelievers (no faith) there oral tradition of men simple turn things upside down as if God not seen has no understanding . The Jew were know for that as a warning to us not to become lukewarm but be careful on how we hear .

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto "this people"; and yet for all that will "they not hear me", saith the Lord.Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to "them" that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

One believes in a God not seen through the words of prophecy as it is written the other does not shown by the oral tradition which is made to no effect by the scriptures, as it is written.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The possibility of God brining new prophecy (God's word or revelation is sealed with seven seals until the end of time. The air way has been open and the father of lies. Satan, the god of this world he is still allowed to bring signs as lying wonders, with wonders representing a unseen source of faith . The elect will not be deceived they would not violate the commandment to add to the law of God .His Law is perfect .

The richest is day is when I heard the voice of God through the scriptures (as "it" is written) and therefore believed God not seen as a anchor to my soul.

Jesus beginning his ministry proving he was the High Priest after the new order Melchezedek as Kingdom of priests not of this world, men and woman and children alike from all the nations. it would seem his first mission he was sent out into the wilderness as our scapegoat . In Mathew 4 it proved that fleshly experience is not the validator of the unseen spiritual truths . As it is written (prophecy) alone is. Three times the Son of man said.... as it is written again, and again ……….the devil as a fallen angel fled .

.Jesus did not worship as some today are making claims of out of the body experiences, near dead or dead as was Jesus not eating in 40 days he was very vulnerable to following his own fleshly imagination and not the will of the unseen father. He as a example to us walked by the faith that comes from hearing God identified as it is written with the it pointing to the source of faith our unseen God, The faith of Christ.. The treasure we have in these earthen bodies as the power of God ,not of us we have no power of our own .
2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in our earthen vessels that the He bought us with his labor of love at the cross.

Believing things that are not there is opening the unseen spirit world of signs and lying wonders intruding into things of ones imagination, as things which a person has not seen; "by the faith of God as it is written" but rather followed in vain their "puffed up fleshly mind". Showing themselves as faithless, not holding on to the promises but looking to widen the authority of the word of God.

I would be careful how we believe and therefore defend the faith that defends us as the armor of God. It would seem the experience gospel is on the rise . Makes me question the query in Luke ... When Christ comes will he find His faith as it is written working in men or a old outdated book that had lost the authority to give faith to those who have none? And therefore experience has become the new god.

Colossians 2 reminds us of those kind of things that some promote as things not seen things that come from the imagination of ones own fleshly mind. We walk by faith the unseen.

Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and "worshipping of angels", intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly "puffed up" by his fleshly mind, Colossians 2

The sign of tongues according to the law or foundation of the doctrine (Isiah 28) What itconfirms is that men refuse to hear the word of God prophecy .But rather have developed their own kind of gospel as a signs and wonders gospel as "oral traditions of men ".

Tongues according to the law is God bringing his interpretation in other language other that Hebrew alone .It is against those who refuse to hear prophecy as the final authority in the unseen things of God. It confirm them as unbelievers (no faith) there oral tradition of men simple turn things upside down as if God not seen has no understanding . The Jew were know for that as a warning to us not to become lukewarm but be careful on how we hear .

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto "this people"; and yet for all that will "they not hear me", saith the Lord.Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to "them" that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.1 Corinthians 14:21-22

One believes in a God not seen through the words of prophecy as it is written the other does not shown by the oral tradition which is made to no effect by the scriptures, as it is written.

Are you high Garee? I do not see any of your claims from doing proper exegesis of Scriptures.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Isaiah 28 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Warnings to Northern Israel
28 Look at Samaria!
The drunks of Ephraim are proud of that city.
It sits on a hill with a rich valley around it.
The Samarians think their city is a beautiful crown of flowers.
But they are drunk with wine,
and this “beautiful crown” is just a dying plant.

2 Look, the Lord has someone who is strong and brave.
He will come into the country like a storm of hail and rain.
Like a powerful river of water flooding the country,
he will throw that crown[a] down to the ground.
3 The drunks of Ephraim are proud of their beautiful crown,
but that city will be trampled down.
4 That city sits on a hill with a rich valley around it.
But that beautiful crown of flowers is just a dying plant.
It will be like the first figs of summer.
As soon as someone sees a ripe one, they pick it and eat it.

5 At that time the Lord All-Powerful will become the “Beautiful Crown.” He will be the “Wonderful Crown of Flowers” for his people who are left. 6 Then he will give wisdom to the judges who rule his people. He will give strength to the people who are in battles at the city gates. 7 But now those leaders are drunk. The priests and prophets are all drunk with wine and beer. They stumble and fall down. The prophets are drunk when they see their dreams. The judges are drunk when they make their decisions. 8 Every table is covered with vomit. There is not a clean place anywhere.

God Wants to Help His People
9 The people say, “Who does he think he is trying to teach and explain his message to? Does he think we are babies who were at their mother’s breast only a very short time ago? 10 He speaks to us as though we were babies:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

11 So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people.

12 In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.”

But they would not listen to him. 13 So the Lord’s words will be senseless sounds[c] to them:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw.
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw.
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

When the people try to walk, they will fall backwards. They will be defeated, trapped, and captured.

No One Escapes God’s Judgment
14 You leaders in Jerusalem should listen to the Lord’s message, but now you refuse to listen to him. 15 You have said, “We have made an agreement with death. We have a contract with death. So we will not be punished. Punishment will pass us without hurting us. We will hide behind our tricks and lies.”

16 Because of these things, the Lord God says, “I will put a rock—a cornerstone—in the ground in Zion. This will be a very precious stone.[d] Everything will be built on this very important rock. Anyone who trusts in that rock will not be disappointed.[e]

17 “Workers use a string and weight to show their work is straight and true. I will use justice as the string and goodness as the weight when I lay that foundation. But your safe places were built on lies. So they will be destroyed and washed away when the troubles come against you like hail storms and floods. 18 Your agreement with death will be erased. Your contract with Sheol will not help you.

“Someone will come and punish you. He will make you like the dirt he walks on. 19 He will come and take you away. Your punishment will be terrible. Your punishment will come early in the morning, and it will continue late into the night.

“Then you will understand this story: 20 A man tried to sleep on a bed that was too short for him. He had a blanket that was not wide enough to cover him. The bed and blanket were useless, and so were your agreements.”

21 The Lord will fight as he did at Mount Perazim. He will be angry as he was in Gibeon Valley.[f] He will do what he must do. It will be what some stranger should do, but he will finish his work. Yes, this is a stranger’s job. 22 Now don’t complain about these things. If you fight against them, you will only tighten the ropes around you.

The words I heard will not change. They came from the Lord God All-Powerful, the ruler of all the earth, and these things will be done.

The Lord Punishes Fairly
23 Listen closely to the message I am telling you. 24 Does a farmer plow his field all the time? No, he doesn’t work the soil all the time. 25 A farmer prepares the ground, and then he plants the seed. He plants different kinds of seeds different ways. He scatters dill seeds, he throws cumin seeds on the ground, and he plants wheat in rows. A farmer plants barley in its special place, and he plants spelt seeds at the edge of his field.

26 Our God is using this to teach you a lesson. This example shows us that God is fair when he punishes his people. 27 Does a farmer use large boards with sharp teeth to crush dill seeds? No, and he doesn’t use a wagon to crush cumin seeds. A farmer uses a small stick to break the hulls from these seeds of grain. 28 People grind grain to make flour, but they don’t grind it forever. As God does in punishing people, a worker might drive his wagon over the grain to remove the hulls, but he does not allow the horses[g] to crush it. 29 This lesson comes from the Lord All-Powerful, who gives wonderful advice. He is very wise.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Romans 8 is a common proof text does not say the Holy Spirit is praying in tongues unknown to the Human through the Human's mouth.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Romans 8 is a common proof text does not say the Holy Spirit is praying in tongues unknown to the Human through the Human's mouth.
Five Different kinds of tongues
1) Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
3) Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018
Why is praying in tongues necessary?

Romans 8:26-27 New International Version (NIV)
26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

This common proof text does not say the Holy Spirit is praying in tongues unknown to the Human through the Human's mouth. A groan is not a human language and Acts 2 was plainly in Human Languages.

Acts 2
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language?9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know someone that went to mexico, and saw children in a warehouse(probably kids that were let out across the border years ago) and the kids were abused by drug parents...some parents would break the childs arns,....one had her eyes plucked out. …..he said, he didn't know how to speak Spanish, and knew the kids only knew the Spanish language, ...yet when he talked in English, they all knew what he said, ,...I think God will let their language be heard, even tho they are talking in their native tongue. this proved it.
………..that makes sense. how the people at Pentecost knew what they were saying in their own language.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know someone that went to mexico, and saw children in a warehouse(probably kids that were let out across the border years ago) and the kids were abused by drug parents...some parents would break the childs arns,....one had her eyes plucked out. …..he said, he didn't know how to speak Spanish, and knew the kids only knew the Spanish language, ...yet when he talked in English, they all knew what he said, ,...I think God will let their language be heard, even tho they are talking in their native tongue. this proved it.
………..that makes sense. how the people at Pentecost knew what they were saying in their own language.
Jan, when I was 19, I joined a global witnessing organization called "Youth with a Mission" and witnessed house to house in cities in eastern Canada. I talked the founder, Loren Cunningham, and he shared his experience of trying to witness to an Amazon tribe without knowing their language. Suddenly a woman blinded by cataracts approached him and he prayed for her, healing her instantly. He was then allowed to speak in tongues in their own language with great evangelistic results.

Feb 28, 2016
don't worry about your 'tongue-s', just 'pray', this is what our Saviour savors...

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018
Jan, when I was 19, I joined a global witnessing organization called "Youth with a Mission" and witnessed house to house in cities in eastern Canada. I talked the founder, Loren Cunningham, and he shared his experience of trying to witness to an Amazon tribe without knowing their language. Suddenly a woman blinded by cataracts approached him and he prayed for her, healing her instantly. He was then allowed to speak in tongues in their own language with great evangelistic results.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yes, I believe that, cause God knows we cant learn every language, he can do anything, and now I know that if the time came where we were in danger, we would hear any enemies in our language, God took care of the Israelites and he will protect us the same, he is the same then as now. he never changes...thank goodness

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Question.

How many of you flow in other gifts without having the gift of tongues?

Speaking of the vocal gifts. Or even any of the nine?

Mar 28, 2016
Are you high Garee? I do not see any of your claims from doing proper exegesis of Scriptures.
Proper ? Extra biblical as a oral tradition of men that kind of proper?

Fleshly experience is not spiritual authority as a law of faith. As it is written alone is. Why look to widen that authority as in have you experienced this or that? We walk by faith (the unseen eternal )

Its sort of like the idea of Five Different kinds of tongues as a oral tradition.... when all five represent the same work of one Spirit. . When in reality there a many different tongues as languages of many nations all under the tongue or word of God, prophecy of God.

Unity of the Spirit. Not unity of experience. We can learn that from the son of man Jesus's experience in Mathew 4. He did not give into the imaginations of His fleshly mind.

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
Praying in tongues isn't necessary at all...
taking a bath isnt necessary but it sure make you feel good when you do. lol

why would you rip scripture from the bible and say "its not necessary?"
can we rip out John 3:16?

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
1 Corinthians 14:5 (KJV)
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

those who condemn speaking in tongues, let me ask you a question:
if you dont speak in tongues, do you prophesy? according to this verse it should be one or the other

Mar 28, 2016
No are you? Did you study to see what the sign represents and confirms as proper exegesis ?