Why is praying in tongues necessary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013
So where does the Holy Spirit fit?
John -->He convinces and convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment

He ago-hodos <---goes before us and leads and guides into all truth....

He SEALS believers unto the day of redemption

He bears witness with our spirit that we have been born again of incorruptible seed

HE testifies of and POINTS to JESUS

I do not alleviate the work of the Spirit at all.....but I can 100% for sure say by the word of GOD that if one makes more to do of the SPIRIT than they do of JESUS they are not being led of the SPIRIT.....JESUS was clear....HE does NOT SPEAK OF HIMSELF or POINT TO HIMSELF, but rather his WHOLE working POINTS to JESUS and his ministry.......and that is one thing that has ALWAYS bothered me about those who identify as charismatic......they spend WAY more time pointing the the Spirit/tongues than they do JESUS.....

NOT saying ALL <--before anyone can jump on the wagon.......but for sure MOST DO

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
And what I said was biblical and my view ;)

dcontroversal said:
The richest day of my life was the day I trusted JESUS as my savior by faith which came from the word and not an experience....

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word <---does not the bible say this????

AND did not PETER in light of the transfiguration experience say.....WE have a more sure word of prophecy and to trust it over an a=y and all experiences...???
Yes, I agree - the day of salvation is the richest day of every believer’s life.

Yes, I agree - the Bible does say faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God but, that’s not all it says........

Jesus said His words are spirit and life - he that has an ear to hear, hear what the Spirit is saying.

The Holy Spirit is vital and has a purpose in the life of every believer. The Holy Spirit gives us such a sweet union with our Father and Savior ..........the gifts have not ceased because they only operate with the Holy Spirit which is with us now on the Earth. Jesus has not left us orphans on the Earth , the Holy Spirit is with us.......

Peter was warning believers to not depart from their faith in Christ. The Holy Spirit testifies of Christ to us and gives us power to witness for Christ.

What do you believe about the Holy Spirit?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
John -->He convinces and convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment

He ago-hodos <---goes before us and leads and guides into all truth....

He SEALS believers unto the day of redemption

He bears witness with our spirit that we have been born again of incorruptible seed

HE testifies of and POINTS to JESUS

I do not alleviate the work of the Spirit at all.....but I can 100% for sure say by the word of GOD that if one makes more to do of the SPIRIT than they do of JESUS they are not being led of the SPIRIT.....JESUS was clear....HE does NOT SPEAK OF HIMSELF or POINT TO HIMSELF, but rather his WHOLE working POINTS to JESUS and his ministry.......and that is one thing that has ALWAYS bothered me about those who identify as charismatic......they spend WAY more time pointing the the Spirit/tongues than they do JESUS.....

NOT saying ALL <--before anyone can jump on the wagon.......but for sure MOST DO
I understand your position and respect it. Thank you for discussing it with me.:love:(y)

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
O yes, because there are only 2 types of people in this world--those who speak in tongues and those who don't!
And Paul said that if a visitor walked into a church meeting and heard everyone speaking in tongues, he would think they are mad.

If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? (1 Cor 14:23).

I'm sure a Mad Hermit would know the meaning of mad.;)

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Do we have to speak in tongues?
No, we don't "have" to, we "get" to.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
ah! the king of merry go rounds

you do the same in every thread and try to catch people making mistakes

like seriously already. e v e r y thread

that your pupose?
No, but if I identify wrong teaching, whats wrong to questioning those teachings.
If somebody claimes that speaking in tongues is nessesary for edification.
Then this excludet this all believers who dont speak in tongues.
And when I than point that speaking in tongues as we have it today started with the pentecostal movement. Then all others must be wrong.
And they cant find edification.
And this is simply not true. I find edification in Gods word and in prayer, without speaking in tongues.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
How about we focus on the Giver of His Gifts....................How wonderful that our Father gives us salvation through His Son - Yeshua/Jesus which would be enough, but He wants to also give us His Holy Spirit. Great! Wow!

But wait, the Holy Spirit also has gifts for us..................WOW! God just keeps giving and giving more and more........amazing!! :love:

And here we are, arguing over the gifts! LOL! How ridiculous we must look! LOL! :LOL::giggle:
I am not arguing.. I am correcting.. The scriptures are clear on this one.. Different gifts are given to different members of the Body of Christ.. Reading the Bible guards us against false teachings..

So it is nice to be thankful that our God is such a loving God who gives us gifts.. But when also need to be wary of false doctrine that could cause many babes in Christ to become demoralized.. How many Babes in Christ have been told they need to speak in tongues to prove that they have received the Holy Spirit and are saved and have lost hope because they where never given the gift of tongues? Or worse how many people Fake it and just blabber stuff out and live a lie simply to obtain acceptance from others ?

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
ah! the king of merry go rounds

you do the same in every thread and try to catch people making mistakes

like seriously already. e v e r y thread

that your pupose?
Answer 2
You need a word of God?
1.Cor. 12, 30 makes clear that not all are speaking in tongues, as not all have the gift of healing ore can lay out.
And in 1.Cor.14, 26 we read that speaking in tongues is only 1 out 5 ways for edification.

Mar 28, 2016
These things are easier to understand from an experiential perspective, But...
The "gift" of tongues (prophetic prayer language) that you are referring to is #3 in the list below.
The personal prayer language (#1) would be what was received in Samaria, Ephesus and at the house of Cornelius.
Intercessory prayer language (#2) would be using your personal prayer language to intercede for others. (Rom.8:26-27)
Singing in the Spirit (#4) is from ! Cor.14:15.
The Evangelistic language (#5) you are familiar with from Acts chapter two.

Five Different kinds of tongues
1)
Personal prayer language - Speaking to/with God
2) Intercessory prayer language - Praying for others in the Spirit
3) Prophetic prayer language - Addressing the whole church/preferably with interpretation
4) Singing in the Spirit - Singing in tongues/worship activity
5) Evangelistic language - Speaking the message of God to a people in their own language (not yours)

One kind of prayer language or tongue, a person seeks to be heard by God and makes the request known .

God understands what ever language men use they use to make the request known. .This is whether speaking to him for personal request or requests for others, intercessory . Trying to widen the authority of the law of tongues by making prayer sounds with no meaning only confirms a person has no understanding to the foundation found in Isiah 28 of the doctrine of tongues to begin with .

Signs follow prophecy .It an evil generation that seeks after a signs and wonder gospel.

In the beginning was the clear word of instruction. Not a noise that has no meaning .

Christian hear what the Holy Spirit says. If they make a noise by accident they usually say excuse me

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. Revelation 2:29

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
One kind of prayer language or tongue, a person seeks to be heard by God and makes the request known .

God understands what ever language men use they use to make the request known. .This is whether speaking to him for personal request or requests for others, intercessory . Trying to widen the authority of the law of tongues by making prayer sounds with no meaning only confirms a person has no understanding to the foundation found in Isiah 28 of the doctrine of tongues to begin with .

Signs follow prophecy .It an evil generation that seeks after a signs and wonder gospel.

In the beginning was the clear word of instruction. Not a noise that has no meaning .

Christian hear what the Holy Spirit says. If they make a noise by accident they usually say excuse me

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. Revelation 2:29
Your view makes no sense in the Acts 10 case, so it cannot be the "whole truth" on this subject.

Your "no meaning" assertion is itself meaningless, because nobody claims what you think they claim.

7seasrekeyed

No, but if I identify wrong teaching, whats wrong to questioning those teachings.
And when I than point that speaking in tongues as we have it today started with the pentecostal movement. Then all others must be wrong.
And this is simply not true. I find edification in Gods word and in prayer, without speaking in tongues.

yeah

even your friend disagrees with you but does not want to argue over it

please

7seasrekeyed

Answer 2
You need a word of God?
1.Cor. 12, 30 makes clear that not all are speaking in tongues, as not all have the gift of healing ore can lay out.
And in 1.Cor.14, 26 we read that speaking in tongues is only 1 out 5 ways for edification.
so now you want to argue/discuss about whether or not all speak in tongues?

don't waste my time. I never said that to begin with

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
yeah

even your friend disagrees with you but does not want to argue over it

please
Sorry, for wasting your time. You was the one who asked me. I will in future avois to adress an post to you.

Mar 28, 2016
Your view makes no sense in the Acts 10 case, so it cannot be the "whole truth" on this subject.

Your "no meaning" assertion is itself meaningless, because nobody claims what you think they claim.
Hi thanks for the reply

Nobody claims what, that you think I think they claim? What is it that you think..I think.

I would suggest you looking at the law in 1 Corinthians 14:21-22 it confirms who it as a sign against and what it represents.

Someone is saying the signs confirms something ...called Charismatics' . The idea of sign gifts or no sign gifts is the subject. Signs follow the unseen gift they are not the very gift . We can believe in a God not seen because as a gift he must first give it as it is written to us so that it might do its work in us.to both will and perform his good purpose. (Our imputed righteousness.)

We walk by faith not by sight. Not as if the kingdom did come by observation and did wrestle against flesh and blood.

Scripture shows the Acts 10 account as supporting the law in respect to the sign that confirms certain men have "no faith" that alone comes from hearing God. They refuse to believe in the authority of as it is written alone. The bible.

Signs follow, prophecy (the word of God....."let it be"...…….. leads to...…"and there was.") This is as our faithful Creator works with us in us

"There was" as that seen did not lead to "let there be". The unbelieving Jew turned that upside down in order to take away the understanding of God a oral tradition of men making the word of God, prophecy without effect.

Isaiah 29:16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
You have not understood correctly what I said.
Then what I did not correctly understood what you said?
I can see how you misunderstood what I said. So sorry for the confusion. Let me say it more clearly........

Speaking in tongues is necessary meaning that it has a purpose which is to edify; however, it is NOT a gift a believer must have to be edified. It has a purpose, therefore it is necessary.

Any gift God wants to give me, I want to receive because I love Him - the Giver of the gift.

It's God's gift. If I speak against it, I'm not speaking against the gift, I'm speaking against the Giver of the gift. I love God and would never want to speak against a gift of His.

Any gift He has given you, I am not going to say it is not necessary and doesn't exist anymore. I am going to rejoice with you because of the goodness of God.

I hope you understood what I have said.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
I am not arguing.. I am correcting.. The scriptures are clear on this one.. Different gifts are given to different members of the Body of Christ.. Reading the Bible guards us against false teachings..

So it is nice to be thankful that our God is such a loving God who gives us gifts.. But when also need to be wary of false doctrine that could cause many babes in Christ to become demoralized.. How many Babes in Christ have been told they need to speak in tongues to prove that they have received the Holy Spirit and are saved and have lost hope because they where never given the gift of tongues? Or worse how many people Fake it and just blabber stuff out and live a lie simply to obtain acceptance from others ?
Answer 2
You need a word of God?
Adstar and wolfwint,

So sorry if you ever felt that I was condemning you for not speaking in tongues. I would never do that. God bless you both, Adstar and wolfwint. :)

7seasrekeyed

Sorry, for wasting your time. You was the one who asked me. I will in future avois to adress an post to you.

sigh

I didn't ask you a thing...refer to my post 81

I remarked on how you look for things you think you can 'pick' on

respond...avoid...whatever :rolleyes:

7seasrekeyed

Adstar and wolfwint,

So sorry if you ever felt that I was condemning you for not speaking in tongues. I would never do that. God bless you both, Adstar and wolfwint. :)

he knows better

he has made the same claim in a good many threads and been told by a good many people that the Bible does not say that and no one is saying that

it's one of his favorite red herrings