Why the New is better than the Old

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
#1 it's secure SSL

Since it's SSL it's more secure (or at least gives people that perception, or assurance, with the "Secure" symbol by the address instead of a scary "not secure" symbol Google Chrome started doing for non-SSL sites). and it's just up to par with current industry standards, as encouraged by Google.

More coming later, til I hit 12 :)
In the old app, somebody could catch our username together with password and so steal our account, spy on us or do something with our account.

When the connection is encrypted by the SSL, the only information somebody can get is that we are connected to the site, but nothing more. Not even what username we use.

Public wifi, internet providers, gov agencies (in some less free countries) - all these risks are solved now.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
#9 Automatic page refresh

I do not need to refresh the page to see what has changed, anymore.

M

Miri

Ive just discovered another better.

When posting a YouTube link on my iPad, it actually posts the video to the thread, not just the link. :giggle:

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Interesting. I am on PC and at least on the main page for forums I can see changes (time of last posts is updated, last posts too) without refreshing.
Also alerts or number of new life-bits are updated automatically.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
So what link/page/url is the most like the old "subscribed threads" link? I can't find anything that even closely resembles it - and when I activate the link for threads I've posted in, all it returns is a blank page.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
So what link/page/url is the most like the old "subscribed threads" link? I can't find anything that even closely resembles it - and when I activate the link for threads I've posted in, all it returns is a blank page.
The closest thing to what you described is "Watch" . Click on "Whatch" on top of OP and this thread will be in your watched thread list.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
OK, I was watching what will page do without refresh and it works... but strangely.

It actualizes some data, but after a manual page refresh, data are changed much more.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The closest thing to what you described is "Watch" . Click on "Whatch" on top of OP and this thread will be in your watched thread list.
All that brings up is individual posts I have made, not the threads they were made in. The only exception is for threads I've posted in since the new format went live. So am I to assume we have no way to access threads we were active in before the new format arrived, outside of blind luck searching?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
All that brings up is individual posts I have made, not the threads they were made in. The only exception is for threads I've posted in since the new format went live. So am I to assume we have no way to access threads we were active in before the new format arrived, outside of blind luck searching?

You can bookmark them. Though I dunno how helpful that'll be.. :unsure:

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Obviously there's going to be a learning curve involved here :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I like that you can select multiple smilies all at the same time without clicking the app again to get at them :)

It is also much easier to change your font face, size, and color :)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I have seen a similar format used on other christian sites but i am confused about some stuff. Like is rep gone? what is life bit? and also what are those trophy symbols under a persons name?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I have seen a similar format used on other christian sites but i am confused about some stuff. Like is rep gone? what is life bit? and also what are those trophy symbols under a persons name?
Life-bit is for your personal media: you can add photos/image files, or other things, I have not looked into it extensively but it looks like you can even add videos :)

Another thing I like is how the whole of a long quoted post does not show unless you expand it :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
what is life bit?
Responding to this again because I created a photo album in Life-bit and added a few images to it, many of the same ones I had in my photo album in the old format :)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Stephanie just taught me how to use gify and i am blown away how easy and awesome it is

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Stephanie just taught me how to use gify and i am blown away how easy and awesome it is
I have not tried giphy yet...

okay here is my first giphy, I was not even sure what I selected, because I was trying to get past the first few it showed me and it selected this for me :devilish::devilish::devilish::whistle::alien::whistle::alien::whistle::devilish::devilish::devilish: