Why was there a Resurrection when Christ died on the Cross?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

Omegatime

Does anyone know why there was a resurrection on this day and where it was foretold/

Mat: 27:51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split; 52 the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018

386 anastasis {an-as'-tas-is}

from 450; TDNT - 1:371,60; n f

AV - resurrection 39, rising again 1, that should rise 1,
raised to life again + 1537 1; 42

1) a raising up, rising (e.g. from a seat)
2) a rising from the dead
2a) that of Christ
2b) that of all men at the end of this present age
2c) the resurrection of certain ones history who were restored
to life (Heb. 11:35)

NT:386
anastasis (an-as'-tas-is); from NT:450; a standing up again, i.e. (literally) a resurrection from death (individual, genitive case or by implication [its author]), or (figuratively) a (moral) recovery (of spiritual truth):

KJV - raised to life again, resurrection, rise from the dead, that should rise, rising again.
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Resurrection has more than one meaning so it is important to know them all and how they are used in scriptural context.

One is the resurrection of Christ and he actually experienced two types of resurrections.

The first is written here:

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
Mat 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Note how it says Christ had a resurrection right after he died! He dies, the dead in the graves resurrect, and it is said they resurrected and left their graves after he resurrected. This is over 3 days before the more common type of bodily resurrection that is known when he arose and left his tomb.

Here Ignatius describes the same thing:

http://st-takla.org/books/en/ecf/001/0010171.html

Stop your ears, therefore, when any one speaks to you at variance with 788 Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was descended from David, and was also of Mary; who was truly begotten of God and of the Virgin, but not after the same manner. For indeed God and man are not the same. He truly assumed a body; for “the Word was made flesh,” 789 and lived upon earth without sin. For says He, “Which of you convicteth me of sin?” 790 He did in reality both eat and drink. He was crucified and died under Pontius Pilate. He really, and not merely in appearance, was crucified, and died, in the sight of beings in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth. By those in heaven I mean such as are possessed of incorporeal natures; by those on earth, the Jews and Romans, and such persons as were present at that time when the Lord was crucified; and by those under the earth, <b>the multitude that arose along with the Lord. For says the Scripture, “Many bodies of the saints that slept arose,” 791 their graves being opened. He descended, indeed, into Hades alone, but He arose accompanied by a multitude; and rent asunder that means 792 of separation which had existed from the beginning of the world, and cast down its partition-wall. <u>He also rose again in three days</u></b>, the Father raising Him up; and after spending forty days with the apostles, He was received up to the Father, and “sat down at His right hand, expecting till His enemies are placed under His feet.”

Matthew 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

1454 egersis {eg'-er-sis}

from 1453; TDNT - 2:337,195; n f

AV - resurrection 1; 1

1) a rousing, excitation
2) a rising up
3) resurrection from the dead

I will also mention that this particular word is used one time in all of scripture. The root word is used 141 times but this version is special and only used this one time and I believe it is because this resurrection was not the same as his corpse resurrection.

The entire reason he had a corpse resurrection was to give a physical sign of the spiritual resurrection that cannot be seen. Amen?

There is over 3 days difference in the two resurrections. I believe it is fact that the dead saints were awake and in open graves when Christ's spirit resurrected and I submit that logic and the text says they got up and went into the city right then.

Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Matthew 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Matthew 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
Matthew 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

I submit that all these events are written in chronological order and the "saw the earthquake, and those things that were done" proves that all those events happened on the same day and all were witnessed by others.

Mat 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
Mat 27:51 and , behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
Mat 27:52 and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Mat 27:53 and came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
Mat 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.
Mat 27:55 And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
Mat 27:56 Among which was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joses, and the mother of Zebedee's children.
Mat 27:57 When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
Mat 27:58 He went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.

All the same day! You should notice that the Roman was there to see this earthquake and the dead arose during that quake. All those "ANDS" prove a succession of chronological events.

Here we have a series of things that occurred right after he died:

1: veil torn
2: earth quake
3: rocks rent
4: Jesus resurrects
5: graves opened
6: saints arose
7: saints leave graves
8: saints enter the city

All these things happen as soon as Christ died. Since we all know the spirit returns to God right after death, then that is a resurrection.

1454 egersis {eg'-er-sis}

from 1453; TDNT - 2:337,195; n f

AV - resurrection 1; 1

1) a rousing, excitation
2) a rising up
3) resurrection from the dead

His spirit experienced "a rising up" and a "rousing" when it left his dead body.

Matthew 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.

Here we see that the centurion "saw the earthquake, and those things that were done"

Jul 23, 2018
Does anyone know why there was a resurrection on this day and where it was foretold/

Mat: 27:51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split; 52 the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
Re read it keeping in mind it says " after his resurrection"

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
...and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
Not on the day of crucifixion but AFTER HIS RESURRECTION. Why? To demonstrate the power of the resurrection of Christ.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

I have a question too, if there are any other historical texts available today that mentions this event?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Is there a difference between being raised from the dead, and being resurrectdd to the Presence of our King?

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
It makes perfect sense if you believe in Soul sleep. That when you die you are waiting for the day of resurrection. The dead know nothing. Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing,....

Our eternal life was not free. It was not purchased by lambs blood or anything in this world. Only a perfect saviour could purchase our redemption and when Jesus Died and rose from the dead the price was paid in full. Satan could not stop God from taking as many as He wanted back to Heaven.

Enoch and Elijah were exceptions. i don't know how, but God must have promised to pay for their souls and was able to take them on credit.

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013

As others have said, their resurrection was on the same day the Messiah was resurrected. Their tombs opened at the crucifixion. Three days later they arose when He arose. The writer was just giving a summary of what happened to them. I assume this was a literary decision so that it didn't distract from the Messiah's resurrection scene.

...But it was foretold in the ritual of the Feast of first fruits. The Messiah resurrected on the same day.

Leviticus 23:9-14 [brackets mine]
9 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf [sampling] of the firstfruits [resurrected saints] of your harvest unto the priest [Messiah]:

11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the Lord, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest [Messiah] shall wave it.

12 And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year [Messiah] for a burnt offering unto the Lord.

13 And the meat offering thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the Lord for a sweet savour: and the drink offering thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.

14 And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.

John 20:17
Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God

This first fruit offering is a thank you to Almighty made by the Priest in the true heavenly temple and a guarantee for the future harvest to come.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
The seven feasts were given to man to explain and celebrate the Lord's plan for our salvation, from Christ's giving his blood for our salvation (Passover) to the feast of tabernacles celebrating the hew heavens and new earth in our future.

The resurrection of Christ is celebrated with the feasts of first fruits. Christ was the first person who had lived as a human to be resurrected to live in heaven with the lord.

As is shown in Matthews, before Christ the saints were only saved in sleep through the symbolism of Christ's blood. After Christ they became alive in the Lord.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The resurrection of Christ is celebrated with the feasts of first fruits. Christ was the first person who had lived as a human to be resurrected to live in heaven with the lord.
Correct. With "God the Father" would be more precise.

Christ is called "the First Fruits of them that slept". Meaning that (1) He rose again on the first day of the week ("the morrow after the sabbath"), (2) after the first fruits comes the main harvest (the Resurrection/Rapture which cannot be too far away) and (3) after the main harvest come the gleanings (the resurrection of the Tribulation saints before the Millennium).

The Hebrew harvest feasts have spiritual significance. The feast of Pentecost saw a harvest of souls in Jerusalem in 30 AD. It was also called "the Feast of Weeks". Why? Because it was observed seven full weeks after First Fruits. Which is a total of fifty days (hence "Pentecost"). So fifty days after the resurrection of Christ, the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the earth to bring in a harvest of Jewish souls (Gentiles would be added later).

Christ remained on earth for forty days after His resurrection and before His ascension. The disciples remained in Jerusalem for ten days following that because they were commanded to wait for the coming of the Holy Spirit. And Pentecost was also on the first day of the week.