Why Your Christian Friends and Family Members Are So Easily Fooled by Conspiracy Theories

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 20, 2019
If you cant see the truth, your not looking hard enough. And I doubt these people who have built there foundations on the earth, have the Holy Spirit guiding them and leading them to the truth. The whistleblowers, hospital data etc is out there for all to see. There is no pandemic, its an orchestrated attempt to destroy the worlds economy, remove small business, and control the population by such things as social distancing. As if that isn't bad enough, we have some career criminal in the USA allegedly killed by a policeman, now all of a sudden the whole world is rioting and protesting. Its pretty obvious this has been well planned and orchestrated to again destabilise the USA in particular. We have spiritual warfare going on here, and if so called christians cant see it, then they have a serious problem.

S

Scribe

If you cant see the truth, your not looking hard enough. And I doubt these people who have built there foundations on the earth, have the Holy Spirit guiding them and leading them to the truth. The whistleblowers, hospital data etc is out there for all to see. There is no pandemic, its an orchestrated attempt to destroy the worlds economy, remove small business, and control the population by such things as social distancing. As if that isn't bad enough, we have some career criminal in the USA allegedly killed by a policeman, now all of a sudden the whole world is rioting and protesting. Its pretty obvious this has been well planned and orchestrated to again destabilise the USA in particular. We have spiritual warfare going on here, and if so called christians cant see it, then they have a serious problem.
Did you read the article? You are demonstrating the idea... “Conspiracy theories are also a way for people to give context and meaning to events that frighten them. Without a coherent explanation for why terrible things happen to innocent people, they would have to accept such occurrences as nothing more than the random cruelty either of an uncaring universe or an incomprehensible deity.”

“People believe conspiracy theories because it is psychologically easier to believe a singular and unlikely narrative rather than engage in a hard and complicated reality where your own long-term participation is needed.”

In a weird way, the idea of a secret cabal of powerful men and women pulling the strings on international events (like assassinations, pandemics, terrorist attacks, world wars, etc.) is somewhat comforting because at least it implies someone is in control of all this madness.

[Conspiracy] theories also appeal to a strong streak of narcissism: there are people who would choose to believe in complicated nonsense rather than accept that their own circumstances are incomprehensible, the result of issues beyond their intellectual capacity to understand, or even their own fault.”

Conspiracy theories make us feel special, This was a very seductive hook. And it’s one of the reasons conspiracy theories are more likely to spread among people with lower levels of education. But that doesn’t mean people who are higher educated are immune to their allure

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
@MattforJesus posted this in another thread today. I have only seen
half of it but I would say it is well worth watching the whole thing :D

Sep 13, 2018
What's this we thing. I thought you were an Ausie. I know you have problems there but we have serious
thing's happening in the U.S. That only American's can deal with.

Jul 20, 2019
What's this we thing. I thought you were an Ausie. I know you have problems there but we have serious
thing's happening in the U.S. That only American's can deal with.
its unfortunate I have to explain this, but anyway... what are the consequences if the USA economy goes bankrupt and there is anarchy there? Who are left to pick up the pieces? China, Russia, trillionaires and billionaires. Its doesn't take much to see who controls the world health organisation, who finances and runs Antifa and Getup here in Australia etc.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Did you read the article? You are demonstrating the idea... “Conspiracy theories are also a way for people to give context and meaning to events that frighten them. Without a coherent explanation for why terrible things happen to innocent people, they would have to accept such occurrences as nothing more than the random cruelty either of an uncaring universe or an incomprehensible deity.”

“People believe conspiracy theories because it is psychologically easier to believe a singular and unlikely narrative rather than engage in a hard and complicated reality where your own long-term participation is needed.”

In a weird way, the idea of a secret cabal of powerful men and women pulling the strings on international events (like assassinations, pandemics, terrorist attacks, world wars, etc.) is somewhat comforting because at least it implies someone is in control of all this madness.

[Conspiracy] theories also appeal to a strong streak of narcissism: there are people who would choose to believe in complicated nonsense rather than accept that their own circumstances are incomprehensible, the result of issues beyond their intellectual capacity to understand, or even their own fault.”

Conspiracy theories make us feel special, This was a very seductive hook. And it’s one of the reasons conspiracy theories are more likely to spread among people with lower levels of education. But that doesn’t mean people who are higher educated are immune to their allure
When a article starts out bashing a sitting US Pesident, it automatically makes me question is the articles conclusions are bias. Especially because this is an old article and many of the so called conspiracies have been proven to be true.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/4/25/15408610/conspiracy-theories-psychologist-explained

R

Reformyourself

Conspiracy] theories also appeal to a strong streak of narcissism: there are people who would choose to believe in complicated nonsense rather than accept that their own circumstances are incomprehensible, the result of issues beyond their intellectual capacity to understand, or even their own fault
Interesting😉

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Conspiracy theories are and remain just that THEORIES if it could be proved it would no longer be a theory would it

Mar 4, 2020
I think people just look for the truth. A lot of people don't like the media putting their own bias in a story, blatantly lying to them, leading them on to how to interpret a story. Many people just want the facts and to be able to understand an event in their own way.

I think if the media returns to fair, balanced, honest fact finding and truth seeking then eventually they can rebuild their credibility, but the damage is already done and people are disenfranchised.

When the same people who lost public trust in the first place proceed to morph the term 'conspiracy theorist' into a derogatory type of word, equating them to unstable, delusional, tin foil hat wearing people, it actually only serves to deepen the divide.

S

Scribe

Conspiracy theories are and remain just that THEORIES if it could be proved it would no longer be a theory would it
That is an insidious bit of circular logic that not only creates a criticism-proof belief system.

Conspiracy theories are self-perpetuating rationalization machines. They eat facts, distort reality, and destroy relationships. And, by the time someone realizes they’re in too deep, it’s often too late to salvage a reality-based worldview (or the relationships of the people they isolated in the process).

Sep 13, 2018
its unfortunate I have to explain this, but anyway... what are the consequences if the USA economy goes bankrupt and there is anarchy there? Who are left to pick up the pieces? China, Russia, trillionaires and billionaires. Its doesn't take much to see who controls the world health organisation, who finances and runs Antifa and Getup here in Australia etc.
I understand and I am with you. The U.S. has been the leader of the free world for the last 15 decades.
Only under trump have we become a joke to the rest of the world! It is a pity and a shame. Once the Dems are back doing what they do (For all people) I truly believe that we will regain the respect
of other nations again. I have total respect for your country. You have fought with us against tyranny and freedom all the way! And what does Trump do? He starts putting down all our allies. And I mean all of them.! Were you good with that?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Why Your Christian Friends and Family Members Are So Easily Fooled by Conspiracy Theories
This title presupposes two things, both of which are false:

1. Christians are mostly gullible and will believe any nonsense.

2. There are no real conspiracies in existence, and everything is hunky-dory.

The sad fact is that there is currently a major Radical Leftist conspiracy afoot to destroy America from within.

This was planned decades ago -- when the Soviet Union came into existence. And everything we see happening today was already spelled out in detail.

Therefore the ones who talk about "conspiracy theories" -- as though they are fairy tales -- are in fact a part of the conspiracy. And the head of this conspiracy is Satan himself.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Floyd had an extensive criminal record and was in commission of a crime that started the whole thing. Crushing the guy's windpipe was an excessive use of force though, a phaser set on stun would have been a proper use of force. Still, the cop committed murder and those cops with him were accomplices thus setting off this 'social justice movement' that includes, but not limited to, rioting, arson, looting, vandalism, assault, and murder.

S

Scribe

This title presupposes two things, both of which are false:

1. Christians are mostly gullible and will believe any nonsense.

2. There are no real conspiracies in existence, and everything is hunky-dory.

The sad fact is that there is currently a major Radical Leftist conspiracy afoot to destroy America from within.

This was planned decades ago -- when the Soviet Union came into existence. And everything we see happening today was already spelled out in detail.

Therefore the ones who talk about "conspiracy theories" -- as though they are fairy tales -- are in fact a part of the conspiracy. And the head of this conspiracy is Satan himself.
Judge a book by it's title much?
Read the article before you present your case.

What you just did is an insidious bit of circular logic that not only creates a criticism-proof belief system, but it also makes a twisted sort of sense. And a twisted sort of sense is the hook that keeps people

Conspiracy theories are self-perpetuating rationalization machines. They eat facts, distort reality, and destroy relationships. And, by the time someone realizes they’re in too deep, it’s often too late to salvage a reality-based worldview (or the relationships of the people they isolated in the process).

This is only a sample of the good things that are written by the author. He has an awesome way with words.

Sep 13, 2018
Floyd had an extensive criminal record and was in commission of a crime that started the whole thing. Crushing the guy's windpipe was an excessive use of force though, a phaser set on stun would have been a proper use of force. Still, the cop committed murder and those cops with him were accomplices thus setting off this 'social justice movement' that includes, but not limited to, rioting, arson, looting, vandalism, assault, and murder.
You left out the 95% peaceful protest! LOL...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Well, Biden did say that 10 - 15% of Americans are evil, so he might consider your 95% peaceful estimate to be a bit on the high side.

I did see a lot of people saying 'kill the pigs' during these peaceful protests that I found distasteful. I don't believe that those chanting were lobbying for the pork industry.

If the Democrats win the White House and the Senate in November there will be no more police force. Next, they will phase out the military for reasons of excessive use of force in defense of freedom for the citizens of the United States.

Already in the State of New York there is legislation initiated that bail would no longer be required for felons apprehended in the commission of a crime, regardless of its classification.

The fabric that holds America together is unraveling.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What you just did is an insidious bit of circular logic that not only creates a criticism-proof belief system, but it also makes a twisted sort of sense.
There is nothing twisted about rejecting Fake News. If you do not believe that there is GENUINE CONSPIRACY afoot, then you are the one closing your eyes to the facts.

We now know -- without the shadow of a doubt -- that even before Donald Trump was elected, there was an evil conspiracy at the highest levels of the American and British governments to perpetrate an illegal coup against a duly elected president. This is called a coup d'etat and it is regarded as treason.

And since the Democrats and the Deep State could not remove Trump, they are now colluding with Antifa and Black Lives Matter to throughly dismantle law and order and establish anarchy in the USA. All you have to do is study their words and actions.

Mayor Bill de Blasio Vows to Cut NYPD Funding While Violent Crime Soars
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...o-cut-nypd-funding-while-violent-crime-soars/

Mayors are sworn to uphold the laws and protect citizens, Not throw open a wide door to criminals.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Sez who? You believe the mainstream media who hide the truth from you every day? Did you see that moronic reporter on TV who was saying that the protests were peaceful, when the rioters and looters behind him were doing the exact opposite?

WATCH: CNN Reporter Says Riot Is ‘Entirely Peaceful,’ Immediately Gets Stuff Thrown At Him
https://www.lacortenews.com/n/watch...peaceful-immediately-gets-stuff-thrown-at-him

And CNN -- the fountain of Fake News -- was vandalized by rioters. So they got their comeuppance.

"Hundreds of rioters descended on CNN’s headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia on Friday night where they vandalized the CNN sign outside the CNN Center downtown Atlanta and broke the building glass as they threw water bottles and other objects at officers inside the building. "

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
This is an instant classic for turning into a booklet and passing out to your church members. I will have it available when church starts meeting again.

https://instrumentofmercy.com/2020/...I9sp8mwBjKiFlTvViZVnOR63gSfnRUCzOsz3VYNTcIsEk
Noah was labeled a conspiracy theorist right up until the rain started.

Moses was a conspiracy theorist to the Egyptians, EVEN after 9 plagues, right up til everyone’s first born keeled over.

Jesus was the King of conspiracy theorists, saying He would even rise from the dead, and well, you know how that turned out. I hope.