WHY

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sharp

Senior Member
May 5, 2009
2,576
26
48
Why did God spend hours talking to Moses about leprosy, sacrifices, menstruation and emissions?

There are so many things we would like to know, on which God is silent.

But when it comes to these seemingly strange topics, we have more information than we could possibly ever need or want.

I know these things were written with a certain target audience in mind, but even for them, God was so specific about what he wanted people to do when they had leprosy, or an emission, or how and when to sacrifice an animal correctly.

It just makes me ask why. Why did God want all this to be done so specifically, but when it comes to other topics, which are actually meaningful for us today, he is silent.
 
Why did God spend hours talking to Moses about leprosy, sacrifices, menstruation and emissions?

There are so many things we would like to know, on which God is silent.

But when it comes to these seemingly strange topics, we have more information than we could possibly ever need or want.

I know these things were written with a certain target audience in mind, but even for them, God was so specific about what he wanted people to do when they had leprosy, or an emission, or how and when to sacrifice an animal correctly.

It just makes me ask why. Why did God want all this to be done so specifically, but when it comes to other topics, which are actually meaningful for us today, he is silent.

I'm sure he has his reasons.
 
His ways aren't our, His thoughts far higher than ours, I find as soon as I ask why God it's like Job questioning God and a whirlwind starts, that's what happens in my head to as why, why this why that starts spinning pretty quick instead of just trusting He has given us more than enough thru Jesus, easier to be still and just know He is the great I AM

 
God has got a point across to you now...hasnt He? He is a God of details. Very minute details. In the plan of salvation especially.
The great thing is He has revealed to us what He wanted us to know. And if you dont learn...its at your peril.

Check out the details of the tabernacle there nothing random, nothing without weight, size or material in any part of it down
to the smallest detail. What is your eternal soul worth to you. This is a type of the plan of salvation.

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
 
One thing to keep in mind, I think, is that the other nations had equally strenuous and weird codes of ritual purity; everybody had taboos. Numerous cultures, for instance, had rules about what to do with menstruating women. This was their version of it, without which something would be notably lacking.

This was part of making a nation, I think. If they didn't have this thing of their own, they'd have to borrow it from somebody else.

Compared to some, the weirdest of the rules seem reasonable. For instance, among the priesthood who served the emperor in Japan, there were dates and times when it wasn't auspicious to turn towards certain directions. Avoiding houses with fungus in them, ok. Having to turn 270 instead of 90, that's going to start bothering me.
 
I always thought that was his way of testing the people of Isreal and to see if they would do what he commanded. He chose them as his people but he wasn't just going to give everything to them and expect nothing in return.

Thats my viewpoint.
 
There is no filler in the bible. If it wasnt there for protection, order, government, health..etc
then it was for purity, or a typical lesson of redemption.
 
Well, is He silent or is it just us not listening... like the rest of the Isrealites never listened...?
 
Sharp. God does not leave room for man to add to HIS WILL! That is why EVERYTING in God for God and about God is VERY specific. Jesus said... NARROW is His Way... So that makes it hard to be confused... It is only confusng to the ones that is on the broad way.

I see it this way... God says to Daniel, when Daniel had to write down what God told him to write down... Daniel did not understand what he had to write down but the Lord told him write it down it will be revealed at the end times... You know God said that ALL will be revealed after Jesus came, and it is now that God gave us an inquesitive spirit that even search the depths of God!
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

That is why you want to know... And may God show you SHARP!! Amen!
 
I believe this is because the things of the ot, had to do with how to live in the world and in God's covanent.
Jesus is the the fullfilling of the scriptures, and brings us out of the world, the flesh to live in Him.
In Jesus we are to learn of those things that are not flesh, but of spirit, things of the sprit cannot be learned in flesh, but in the heart given to Jesus.
Sharp., one of the hardest things is surrendering all to Jesus, letting go of the controll through, mind, knowladge , and feelings, and flesh, then giving it all to Jesus, God Our Father so His Holy Spirit can work in one.
But keep in mind, it is only difficult as long as one fails to surrender, once one does... :)

Keep up the good fight, keep the faith!
God bless.
pickles
 
Why did God spend hours talking to Moses about leprosy, sacrifices, menstruation and emissions?

There are so many things we would like to know, on which God is silent.

What other information are you talking about that you want?
 
I'm sure he has his reasons.

There are times when God makes me Laugh. Maybe this could be one of them.

Oh and 1still_waters, did I ever tell you that you really do have the most awesome avatar I have ever seen?

Cheers folks, may God bless you.
 
Why did God spend hours talking to Moses about leprosy, sacrifices, menstruation and emissions?

There are so many things we would like to know, on which God is silent.

But when it comes to these seemingly strange topics, we have more information than we could possibly ever need or want.

I know these things were written with a certain target audience in mind, but even for them, God was so specific about what he wanted people to do when they had leprosy, or an emission, or how and when to sacrifice an animal correctly.

It just makes me ask why. Why did God want all this to be done so specifically, but when it comes to other topics, which are actually meaningful for us today, he is silent.


Unclean..when I think of all the talking of Leprosy I think of God warning us what was in the spirit. We would need the blood of God to clean us. All the talk was not for nothing. Like putting blood on the ears. So many today can't hear God cause they don't believe in the blood of God to help them.

People were sent to the priest, it was to preshow that they were going to go to our Priest Jesus. The sacrifices were to show they were going to Jesus to save them for there sins and is about his blood that was coming to us. When you read all this stuff remember about the New Testament. I hope this helps. Good to see you!
 
If I was Moses, I would have been struck down, for I would've said, God, you brought me out here into the wilderness, are these really the things you brought me out here to talk about? Leprosy, menstruation, sacrificing goats, exact widths and dimensions of tents, etc. etc.
 
If I was Moses, I would have been struck down, for I would've said, God, you brought me out here into the wilderness, are these really the things you brought me out here to talk about? Leprosy, menstruation, sacrificing goats, exact widths and dimensions of tents, etc. etc.


It's purpose is to teach you heavenly things by its earthly pattern.
 
God is not silent, people are deaf. maybe the things God talked about with moses were the things moses was asking about. imagine your sitting with God, God can explain, well, everything, where does he begin? i would think he begins with what you want to know about. understand that things go for how God wants them to go with mankind. it is not about how mankind wants God to go with things they want. im sure God could post on the forums about all these topics, but i dont think he is looking for an argument, he is looking for obedience.

the fact is its really all explained in the bible. i suggest you start by telling God all about yourself. its called repentance. after that its more than possible you will get more answers than you ever thought possible.

Duewell
obedience to God is answered, disobedience to God is ignorance.
 
Sharp, one day soon you will come to accept all that is the glory of God , with compleat humility.
Simply because it is in this only, through Jesus, that one comes to see and recieve all that is His love and salvation.
I know that much read and seen in the scriptures does bring one to think all does not make sence, even unfair and cruel.
But as long as one is unwilling to humble themself in Jesus, reciveing His salvation, obedient and willing , they will only see through the eyes of the world.
I struggled with much of the OT, seeing a hard , what I thought was a cruel God.
I wanted to know why to all that was this way, but could not understand it.
Finally I accepted all, humble in my small understanding, trusted and said all is your glory Father God.
Im still learning, but it makes sence now, not because it is understood in the mind, but is understood in the soul, where His Holy Spirit reviels His understanding.
Because we are not called to the things of the world, but to that which is eternal in Jesus.
Sooner or later you will begin to see, that we cannot hold the mind of God, it is God who holds us in Jesus. :)
I pray you will soon know this peace in Jesus, given to the accepting and humble heart.

run the race, keep the faith.
God bless.
pickles
 
Hebrews 10:16
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;