William Wilberforce

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Stunnedbygrace

Senior Member
Nov 12, 2015
9,112
823
113
Reading Real Christianity again. Heres a quote.

"When God begins to stir our souls with the anxiety that something is not right, we respond by seeking distraction. We look to social gatherings or amusements to smother the rising anxiety."
 
It was first published in 1797. He wrote it to try to wake up his country. In the book he compares and contrasts real christianity with cultural christianity. Good read.
 
Funny that in 1797, he says he may be accused of being sexist! Didn't know that was a topic in England way back then.
What he thought he might be labeled sexist for was that he saw a greater sensitivity to spiritual things in young women than he did in young men.
 
Reading Real Christianity again. Heres a quote.

"When God begins to stir our souls with the anxiety that something is not right, we respond by seeking distraction. We look to social gatherings or amusements to smother the rising anxiety."
I see a lot of truth in that.
 
Reading Real Christianity again. Heres a quote.

"When God begins to stir our souls with the anxiety that something is not right, we respond by seeking distraction. We look to social gatherings or amusements to smother the rising anxiety."

Hmm sounds like modern day churches to me....hehehe :)
 
I saw what he said there in myself. It's like...I can even do this with my bible. I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes I will use my BIBLE to not talk with God. Or spiritual readings. Like I'm looking for the high His Presence gives me but I'm doing everything BUT going to Him. Always having a book in my hand or something to...occupy me when what He wants is me to TALK to Him. It can be a big problem for me at times. And I don't honestly know why. maybe no one will even know what I mean.
 
Who in the world is William Wilberforce? Sounds like a fictitious name in a romance novel..lol
 
Who in the world is William Wilberforce? Sounds like a fictitious name in a romance novel..lol

HAHA! It does...doesn't it? He's Fabio's brother. LOL!
He was a member of the parliament? in England.
Did you see the movie Amazing Grace, with Albert Finney as the man who wrote the song?
Wilberforce was the guy who fought slavery in the movie.

GOOD movie if you haven't seen it!
 
And he wrote the book I'm reading too. IRL. Might get confusing there because both he and the man who ran the slave ships and then wrote the song are real men.
 
Who in the world is William Wilberforce? Sounds like a fictitious name in a romance novel..lol

HAHA! It does...doesn't it? He's Fabio's brother. LOL!
He was a member of the parliament? in England.
Did you see the movie Amazing Grace, with Albert Finney as the man who wrote the song?
Wilberforce was the guy who fought slavery in the movie.

GOOD movie if you haven't seen it!

Lol Lady Blue! He was mainly influenced by the preaching of John Newton - the guy who wrote the hymn we all love - Amazing Grace.

I started watching Amazing Grace (Movie; story of William's life) since around 2008-2009 and I tried to make it an annual thing. It still always hits me every time. There's so many feels! I mean, how he fulfilled what he thought and was sure of was God's will in his life, about 3 days before he died. What a fulfilling life ending!