Women Equality

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Women's Equality to Men: Do you want

• 100% Equality

• Just a increase in equality

• You are happy as is

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
For the Christian women do you want 100% equality within your country to that of man? Do you want a slight increase in equality? Or are you happy where you are?

How does your Biblical worldview see the feminist movements of today? Reasonable or radical?

T

TheIndianGirl

I want 100% equality, but I also want to be judged on merit. For example, in the military, women should be expected to perform as well as men, and not given special favors. I support equal pay, equal opportunities. Personally I'm happy where I am, and my work place is pretty good about this I think. I do not see anything anti Biblical about equality. There are different gender roles, but that is within marriage.

Sep 13, 2018
I think that women should have complete control. Look at all the nations where women are in control. Their countries are doing great! Lol.( Funny, but true)

Oct 12, 2019
1 Tim 2:12

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
1 Tim 2:12

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.
So in a country setting with laws, wages, jobs, voting, military, etc does the verse you posted speak to all these and more?

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I like how it is currently, or maybe like 10 years ago. Sadly more people are going for gender neutrality rather than feminism. To me being a feminist is having it so women get equal opportunities for work, pay, and healthcare (saving abortion of course) but without ignoring the strengths and weaknesses that the separate genders have.

When you hear a “feminist” toting the “all men are idiots” notion then it’s just sexism. Sexism is sexism, whether it be a man to a woman or a woman to a man.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I believe this subject is confusing even amongst women who may not see the battle at play. Equality is often not defined as some groups push certain agendas for example radical feminism https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_feminism

While liberal feminism can be defined completely different.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_feminism

Pay equality on one side of the spectrum to women's choice in abortion on the other.

In your eyes what if anything needs to change?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I like how it is currently, or maybe like 10 years ago. Sadly more people are going for gender neutrality rather than feminism. To me being a feminist is having it so women get equal opportunities for work, pay, and healthcare (saving abortion of course) but without ignoring the strengths and weaknesses that the separate genders have.

When you hear a “feminist” toting the “all men are idiots” notion then it’s just sexism. Sexism is sexism, whether it be a man to a woman or a woman to a man.
It is unfortunate the gender delusion tans community are one the biggest threat to women's rights.

What do you believe as a country we could improve on in women's equality?

presidente

May 29, 2013
I think that women should have complete control. Look at all the nations where women are in control. Their countries are doing great! Lol.( Funny, but true)
What countries are these? Do you mean the Amazonian ilsand wonder woman is from? Or do you mean Sweden or something like that?

The Scandinavian countries tend to score high on happiness scales... scales that measure happiness based on western values. It's circular reasoning.

presidente

May 29, 2013
There aren't enough options. What about 'less equality' or 'no equality.' How about 'long live the patriarcy.'

Honestly, I'd rather see wives submission to husbands being reflected in law, in buying land, opening bank accounts, and stuff like that. Combined with some stronger marriage law, it might stabilize society, but there would have to be some kind of major sociological and philosophical shifts, probably, for that to work, or a totalitarian regieme taking over with that as part of it's overall legal framework.

There should be equality in many legal matters such as penalties for crimes. Man or woman who murders, for example, should face the same sort of legal penalties and consequences.

presidente

May 29, 2013
I want 100% equality, but I also want to be judged on merit. For example, in the military, women should be expected to perform as well as men, and not given special favors. I support equal pay, equal opportunities. Personally I'm happy where I am, and my work place is pretty good about this I think. I do not see anything anti Biblical about equality. There are different gender roles, but that is within marriage.
The military is a case where the 'gender equality' agenda makes no sense. I live in the US. If the US puts women in combat situations, right next to the men, in the middle east, which solders are the middle eastern soldiers going to rape when they capture them? If we ever started having a draft, I wonder if the feminists would back down a bit on the military issue.

In the Old Testament, God had the men from aged 20 to 50 to fight. The inheritance law passed land down from father to son. Women could inherit if their father had no sons, but only if they married in the father's clan to keep the land in the clan.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
It is unfortunate the gender delusion tans community are one the biggest threat to women's rights.

What do you believe as a country we could improve on in women's equality?
Sadly I don’t know that part. All I can think is that women who DO hold these ideals be more vocal about it. But they have to be willing to take pretty much the entire worlds venom at this point.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
There aren't enough options. What about 'less equality' or 'no equality.' How about 'long live the patriarcy.'

Honestly, I'd rather see wives submission to husbands being reflected in law, in buying land, opening bank accounts, and stuff like that. Combined with some stronger marriage law, it might stabilize society, but there would have to be some kind of major sociological and philosophical shifts, probably, for that to work, or a totalitarian regieme taking over with that as part of it's overall legal framework.

There should be equality in many legal matters such as penalties for crimes. Man or woman who murders, for example, should face the same sort of legal penalties and consequences.
Less equality?

Sep 13, 2018
What countries are these? Do you mean the Amazonian ilsand wonder woman is from? Or do you mean Sweden or something like that?

The Scandinavian countries tend to score high on happiness scales... scales that measure happiness based on western values. It's circular reasoning.

What western values are you talking about? And what do you think a person derive's from happiness ?

presidente

May 29, 2013
'Equality' is a buzz word in the US and many other western countries. 'Equality' is always considered to be a good thing. There have been causes that have reframed their perverse ideas in terms of 'equality' and run. Perverting and redefining the idea of marriage to be between two men and two women is supposed to be 'marriage equality.' It has nothing to do with equality. Before the SCOTUS in the US and various other legal entities redefined marriage, any single same-sex attracted man had just as much right to marry a woman as a 'straight' man. The question wasn't equality, but what marriage is.

Are men and women equal? Equal in what sense? We have different abilities and different roles. The average man has more upper body strength than the average woman (not a weight lifter or Olympic athelete). That is unequal. But women are much better at giving birth and nursing babies than women.

It is healthy for a culture to recognize and value that men and women have different strengths and different roles. It makes sense for women to give birth and to nurse the babies. It makes sense for the men to go outside of the hut and hunt down the tiger that has been terrorizing the village. A lot of what we can do well overlaps, and one societies gender way of defining gender roles may not be the best or only way of defining roles.

The Bible does give some gender defined roles in marriage. Wives are to submit to, obey, and reverence their husbands. Husbands are to lvoe their wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her. The husband must honor his wife as the weaker vessel. Christians should not think having different gender roles is inherently immoral, since we see some of this in the Bible.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Sadly I don’t know that part. All I can think is that women who DO hold these ideals be more vocal about it. But they have to be willing to take pretty much the entire worlds venom at this point.
There is obvious areas that need investigation for example my wife starting out at Chic fil a making 75 cents less than a male starting. It is a obvious job where both can compete on a level ground. No sense in that.

presidente

May 29, 2013
What western values are you talking about? And what do you think a person derive's from happiness ?
I'd rather you tell us which countries have the women in charge.

I don't remember all the questions, but one of the surveys had a lot of questions along the lines of how citizens of different countries felt satisfied as it related to issues of individual freedom, countries where Scandinavians scored high. They didn't ask questions about feeling in harmony in others, more Asian values, for example. The Scandinavians ranked high, but these were also values Westerners would assocaited with happiness, as oppose to the values of those from eastern cultures.

In grad school I came in late to a discussion on this topic and made the point, but one of the cross-cultural or other types of psychologists had already made the point previously.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
'Equality' is a buzz word in the US and many other western countries. 'Equality' is always considered to be a good thing. There have been causes that have reframed their perverse ideas in terms of 'equality' and run. Perverting and redefining the idea of marriage to be between two men and two women is supposed to be 'marriage equality.' It has nothing to do with equality. Before the SCOTUS in the US and various other legal entities redefined marriage, any single same-sex attracted man had just as much right to marry a woman as a 'straight' man. The question wasn't equality, but what marriage is.

Are men and women equal? Equal in what sense? We have different abilities and different roles. The average man has more upper body strength than the average woman (not a weight lifter or Olympic athelete). That is unequal. But women are much better at giving birth and nursing babies than women.

It is healthy for a culture to recognize and value that men and women have different strengths and different roles. It makes sense for women to give birth and to nurse the babies. It makes sense for the men to go outside of the hut and hunt down the tiger that has been terrorizing the village. A lot of what we can do well overlaps, and one societies gender way of defining gender roles may not be the best or only way of defining roles.

The Bible does give some gender defined roles in marriage. Wives are to submit to, obey, and reverence their husbands. Husbands are to lvoe their wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her. The husband must honor his wife as the weaker vessel. Christians should not think having different gender roles is inherently immoral, since we see some of this in the Bible.
Great but we are no longer hunting tigers or women in huts nursing and sewing.

Of course gender roles play its part and yes we must recognize that. But within a country as big as the US it is more complicated than that.

T

TheIndianGirl

Yes, I agree. This would only work in a totalitarian regime, maybe as described in the Handmaid's Tale. As people become more educated (men and women), they are more capable of certain things like owning property or having personal bank accounts and are not willing to give up that freedom. That said, however a husband and wife wish to control their finances in their marriage is their business. Usually when the husband has automatic control, not in all cases, he keeps her in the dark about finances and she basically has to resort to begging to have some spending money.