Women Pastors

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Sure. Mentally retarded people are probably included for this reason.
God can save anyone anywhere and under any circumstances. Simply because it is God's customary way to save through the foolishness of preaching doesn't mean He is limited to this practice.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
a child who belligerently refuses to obey his or her parents is to be put to death, under Torah, by all the men of the city together. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

that does sound like accountability.
...at the point that they are capable of committing such things. I have no idea where or how God might draw a line, but that doesn't mean He cannot.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
a child who belligerently refuses to obey his or her parents is to be put to death, under Torah, by all the men of the city together. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

that does sound like accountability.

and then you have this,

Jonah 4:11​
And should I not pity Nineveh, that great city, in which are more than one hundred and twenty thousand persons who cannot discern between their right hand and their left—and much livestock?
which kind of sounds like not accountable, but they are still to be pitied, and can still be saved.. :coffee::unsure:
I must have missed something. You have mentioned a distinction between children and adults. To what end?

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
i don't see "blind faith" mentioned in the text, but i do see humility... :unsure:

and an implicit warning not to refuse to receive children in His name.... :coffee:
The Biblical meaning to be humble is to be obedient. Children's belief in God is being obedient.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The only reason I can see, why God didn't rebuke him was the fact that he was just a child and not accountable for his actions as yet.
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 and many other places indicate that God believes a child worth rebuking when they are wrong.

Elihu isn't rebuked, and that is significant

the position that holds no one responds to him because he's just a kid so they ignore him doesn't hold any water, imo - God devotes 6 chapters to him, in a very prestigious place, just before God Himself speaks - and if these elders in the city gates really believed Elihu should not speak they would have shut him up.

instead they have no answer to him, and the very fact they don't drive him away for speaking in their presence when he is young indicates their conviction at his words.

Mar 7, 2024
maybe you should go read it again...

the things he says to Job are the same things God says to Job. if what Elihu has to say is worthless it's difficult to explain why God records 6 chapters of his speech and zero rebuke of anything he said, in a book full of back-and-forth speeches and rebuttals.
That' all well and good, but there's nothing there which would qualify the boy for Church membership. His age is still the main deal breaker, regardless of what he said.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I must have missed something. You have mentioned a distinction between children and adults. To what end?
i was just explaining what i thought Oyster was saying.

to figure out where we get 12-13 yes old from, we need to talk to a Jew. i'm afraid i don't know well enough where this comes from, apart from that it's in mishnah, and whether those old rabbis were wrong or right, they did always use scripture to back up what they were saying...

so there's some perceived basis for the idea that goes back a very long time in Hebrew culture.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The Biblical meaning to be humble is to be obedient. Children's belief in God is being obedient.
they certainly go hand in hand, but i don't know whether the definition of humility is obedience.

hmmm can someone be humbly disobient?
what about Daniel asking not to eat the Babylonian diet?

Mar 7, 2024
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 and many other places indicate that God believes a child worth rebuking when they are wrong.

the position that holds no one responds to him because he's just a kid so they ignore him doesn't hold any water, imo - God devotes 6 chapters to him, in a very prestigious place, just before God Himself speaks - and if these elders in the city gates really believed Elihu should not speak they would have shut him up.

instead they have no answer to him, and the very fact they don't drive him away for speaking in their presence when he is young indicates their conviction at his words.

The Church didn't exist at the time those things were written, so it may validate the boy to speak to adults under the old covenant but he wouldn't get away with it under the new covenant

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
they certainly go hand in hand, but i don't know whether the definition of humility is obedience.

hmmm can someone be humbly disobient?
what about Daniel asking not to eat the Babylonian diet?
It's about dealing in the format of person to God.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The Church didn't exist at the time those things were written, so it may validate the boy to speak to adults under the old covenant but he wouldn't get away with it under the new covenant
remember that it was the old covenant thinking of the disciples trying to keep people from bringing children to Jesus, not the mindset of the apostles later, after His resurrection.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Why would I? Why is that foolish? The truth of God's word stands forever. If a truth is applicable to the church at Ephesus, it is equally applicable to us today.
The point is that your interpretation of Scripture may be erroneous, and if you don't examine your interpretation, you might never discover that it is wrong.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
still think you should read Job 32-37 again.

when you do, i am interested to know, do you find all of it the worthless, ignorant speech of a child with no capability for understanding?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If we follow God then we are humble in the form of obedience and submissiveness
If we reject God there is no humbleness
agreed -

my point would be that in general, humility doesn't always mean obedience, and obedience is not always humble.

so i wouldn't call it the definition of humility, to be obedient. they're not equivalent terms, is all

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

What age do you believe him to be?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Absolutely, the world is full of immature adults. But none would qualify to become a member of a Bible based Church.
Really? So they can't be saved? Wow.

Your concept of "Bible based Church" has nothing to do with the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.