WORK OUT YOUR SALVATION IN FEAR AND TREMBLING.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Have I not explained Heb 10 to you before?

Salvation, saved, save, according to Greek means; deliverance, delivered, deliver. If you apply all deliverance scriptures to mean eternal deliverance, the scriptures will tend to imply "eternal deliverance by works".
Context tells you which is which, not theologians.

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
I believe this post, but it does not have anything to do with my explanation of Heb 10.
2 PETER 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire. These were wash by the blood of YESUAH, [ but it says to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. ] LOST after they was wash ]
2 PETER
2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam [the son] of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
2:16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.
2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.
EZEKIEL 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, [and] doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked [man] doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.
what you say would make GOD lie

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
"Work out your own salvation" We interpret this differently. I believe my interpretation harmonizes with other scriptures. Do you believe that salvation is interpreted by the Greek concordance to mean "a deliverance"?
Its clear your ' harmonising ' coincides with Calvinism ,is this a coincidence?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I believe in the scriptures that you have quoted, but I do not believe they apply to working out your own salvation.
We work out for something. See how many times Paul refers to the Gospel. This is the focus . ' the furtherance ' of the Gospel through suffering and selflessness. I can see why Calvernists would miss this . Because why suffer for the furtherance of the Gospel, through selflessness ? No more or less have been ' Chosen ' TO BE saved in the Calv worldview .

Jan 4, 2020
washburn Tn
There's no verse in the new testament that says the father gives folks to Jesus . John 6 is pre crucifixion.
GOD is JUST AND has no respect of persons, that means that if he just let in to HEAVEN while they where sinning, he would let all in that was sinning, AND WE should know that GOD is NOT GOING TO DO THAT, he would have a HEAVEN like it is here on earth, GOD lets US be tried to show us if we will SIN, TO help us overcome sins in OUR life. GOD already knows,

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
"Work out your own salvation" We interpret this differently. I believe my interpretation harmonizes with other scriptures. Do you believe that salvation is interpreted by the Greek concordance to mean "a deliverance"?
Let me "chime" in on this issue and point out the immediate context of what the Apostle Paul is telling the Philippian "BELIEVERS." The context is "NOT" about working out your salvation to get saved.

Starting at vs 2-3, "make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Vs3, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of your REGARD ONE ANOTHER AS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIMSELF." Vs4, "do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interest of others."

Paul then uses Jesus Christ as the perfect example of putting people first or ahead of Himself starting at vs5 by saying, "have this attitude in yourselves that was also in Christ Jesus. Now please pay attention to vs6 because it proves the deity of Jesus Christ.

Vs6, who, although, (or in spite of the fact) that He was always existed as God or in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped." Vs7, "but emptied Himself, (This means that Jesus Christ did not take advantage of Him being God by not using His prerogatives as God) but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men." (Btw, and this is important, Jesus Christ did not empty Himself of His deity, that would be impossible, God cannot become not God.)

So the Apostle Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit decided to throw in the fact that Jesus Christ who has always been, or in the form of God took on another form, that of a human being/man. Vs8, And being found in appearanceas a man, He humbled Himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Another example by Paul to show the Philippian believers how they should be obedient to what he's telling them. Now, having said all this we get to Philippians 2:12. Vs12, "So then my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence work out your salvation with fear and trembling;"

In other words, work out the solution to your problems or the deliverance of your problems. That is to say quit being selfish, conceited, not of the same mind, not looking out for you own interest BUT have the same mind and maintaining the same love. Put others first just as Jesus Christ did.

Why? Philippians 2:13, "for (or because) it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Paul is not done with them. Vs14, "Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, childres of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation among whom you appear as lights in the world." (Or in this upholstered cesspool we call earth). And yes, the Greek word sozo has the basic meaning of saved/salvaton, but it can also mean deliver/deliverance, heal or made whole. Does this make sense to you?

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
There's no verse in the new testament that says the father gives folks to Jesus . John 6 is pre crucifixion.
What is your interpretation of John 6:39? The all that he hath given me, is explained in verse 40 to be those that believe him.

Jun 11, 2020
I will direct your attention to the part of your comments that states; "If one will do this, one will receive a place in the KINGDOM"

If you are referring to the KINGDOM as the church, then your statement is applicable, but if you have reference to the KINGDOM being eternal heaven, then your statement is false, because that would advocate that eternal deliverance can be achieved by the works of mankind.

The kingdom of heaven is one of many names that describes the church. Others are; The kingdom of God, the kingdom of Christ, the church of the first born, Zion, Jacob surname Israel, the city set upon a hill, the remnant, the few, the new Jerusalem, the bride, and more.

1st Peter 1:9, has reference to god's elect that he choose before the foundation of the world and were sanctified by Jesus through his blood on the cross. Their eternal deliverance was accomplished by Jesus, and not by them doing the seven works that you have listed.

doing the works that God has commanded that his regenerated children do (work out your own salvation=deliverance) can deliver= save them here in this world, but these works are not the cause of them being delivered=saved eternally.
I have read your replies of your postings # 4, 6, 7, & this one. You cannot avoid the plain language no matter how much it goes aginst what you think you see in these verses. They say what they say. "YOU have to work out your OWN salvation with fear and trembling". The next verse tells of the helps and resources you have. The context, as I have shown is WORKS. A man is saved in multiple facets. Philippians does not lay the groundwork for the gospel of grace. It lays the ground for an intimate walk with Jesus.
  1. "Salvation" from sin ans sins is a WORK of Christ. It is applied to you by FAITH - which is a gift from God
  2. "Salvation" from being a vessel of emptiness is effected by the New Birth. The human spirit is enlivened - a WORK of the Holy Spirit (Jn.3:6)
  3. "Salvation from a corrupt and dying body is resurrection - a new body given after death, made in heaven (2nd Cor.5:1-3) - a WORK of the Holy Spirit (Rom.8:11)
  4. "Salvation" from failing to be a co-king with Jesus is to inherit, or enter, the Millennial Reign ON EARTH (Matt.19:23-25) - a REWARD for YOUR WORK
And then there is the matter of your DISPOSITION - your CHARACTER. That needs to be conformed to the character of Jesus Christ (Rom.8:29). His MIND must be YOUR MIND. This change of character is HALF your WORK and HALF God's WORK - as these verses show. You have to take up our cross, which means denying the flesh, you have to deny yourself. You have to subject yourself when God chastises you, and you have take the time to immerse yourself in God's Word. The end of this EFFORT on your part will be the "Salvation of your SOUL". In 2nd Corinthians 3:18 it leads from glory to glory. In Romans 12:2 it leads to a mind like Christ's. In 1st Peter 4-9 it leads to "the salvation of your SOUL", and in 2nd Peter 1.5-11 it leads to entry to the Millennial Kingdom

The "Salvation" of the SOUL makes you a WORTHY PARTNER for Jesus. A "HELP MEET". The word "MEET" means, "up to the standard of".

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Let me "chime" in on this issue and point out the immediate context of what the Apostle Paul is telling the Philippian "BELIEVERS." The context is "NOT" about working out your salvation to get saved.

Starting at vs 2-3, "make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Vs3, "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of your REGARD ONE ANOTHER AS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIMSELF." Vs4, "do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interest of others."

Paul then uses Jesus Christ as the perfect example of putting people first or ahead of Himself starting at vs5 by saying, "have this attitude in yourselves that was also in Christ Jesus. Now please pay attention to vs6 because it proves the deity of Jesus Christ.

Vs6, who, although, (or in spite of the fact) that He was always existed as God or in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped." Vs7, "but emptied Himself, (This means that Jesus Christ did not take advantage of Him being God by not using His prerogatives as God) but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men." (Btw, and this is important, Jesus Christ did not empty Himself of His deity, that would be impossible, God cannot become not God.)

So the Apostle Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit decided to throw in the fact that Jesus Christ who has always been, or in the form of God took on another form, that of a human being/man. Vs8, And being found in appearanceas a man, He humbled Himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

Another example by Paul to show the Philippian believers how they should be obedient to what he's telling them. Now, having said all this we get to Philippians 2:12. Vs12, "So then my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence work out your salvation with fear and trembling;"

In other words, work out the solution to your problems or the deliverance of your problems. That is to say quit being selfish, conceited, not of the same mind, not looking out for you own interest BUT have the same mind and maintaining the same love. Put others first just as Jesus Christ did.

Why? Philippians 2:13, "for (or because) it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." Paul is not done with them. Vs14, "Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, childres of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation among whom you appear as lights in the world." (Or in this upholstered cesspool we call earth). And yes, the Greek word sozo has the basic meaning of saved/salvaton, but it can also mean deliver/deliverance, heal or made whole. Does this make sense to you?

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto
How then can a regenerated person that commits a sin, be responsible for making himself whole again? Is it not by repenting of the sin, and God's forgiveness? Would this not be "working out your own salvation"? If so, then would not this be a different salvation than eternal salvation? Matt 19:25-26, The disciples as Jesus "who then can be saved (eternally)", and Jesus replied, "with men this is impossible".

Does this mean that in a timely sense, our obedience can save us, but not in an eternal sense?

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
What is your interpretation of John 6:39? The all that he hath given me, is explained in verse 40 to be those that believe him.
This PRE cross verse means as it says . Before the cross ( John 12.32 ) this is what was happening. All those that the Father gave at that time ,if they believed would be raised on the last day . ( For them at THAT particular time ,pre cross . ) A bit like saying " all those that look at the bronze serpent will live " . Another incident that is not how we appropriate salvation today .

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My Savior, the Savior of all who are saved, did say no man can come unto me unless the Father sends him to Me.
Paraphresed, ergo, no quotes.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
My Savior, the Savior of all who are saved, did say no man can come unto me unless the Father sends him to Me.
Do people look at a bronze serpent to be saved today ? The verse says that unless they looked at the serpent they would perish .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
At that time . Pre cross .

Jun 11, 2020
I will direct your attention to the part of your comments that states; "If one will do this, one will receive a place in the KINGDOM"

If you are referring to the KINGDOM as the church, then your statement is applicable, but if you have reference to the KINGDOM being eternal heaven, then your statement is false, because that would advocate that eternal deliverance can be achieved by the works of mankind.

The kingdom of heaven is one of many names that describes the church. Others are; The kingdom of God, the kingdom of Christ, the church of the first born, Zion, Jacob surname Israel, the city set upon a hill, the remnant, the few, the new Jerusalem, the bride, and more.

1st Peter 1:9, has reference to god's elect that he choose before the foundation of the world and were sanctified by Jesus through his blood on the cross. Their eternal deliverance was accomplished by Jesus, and not by them doing the seven works that you have listed.

doing the works that God has commanded that his regenerated children do (work out your own salvation=deliverance) can deliver= save them here in this world, but these works are not the cause of them being delivered=saved eternally.
I will define a "KINGDOM" to make myself clear. A Kingdom is a sphere where a certain king is present, and his laws are carried out. If ...
  1. the king is not present he has no kingdom. He is a king in exile
  2. the king is present but his laws are not obeyed, he has no kingdom until he has the power to enforce his laws
With this simple formulation, we can see the following. Our Lord Jesus prays; "Thy (God's) Kingdom COME, Thy (God's) will be done ON EARTH as it is in heaven." This sentence shows that God is a King, that God has a Kingdom, but that this Kingdom is only evident in heaven and that His will is NOT done on earth (YET). But you might say that the Lord said that the Kingdom was among you (lk.11:20), was IN you (Lk.17:21) and was already on earth (Rev.1:9). Each has its explanation, but the Kingdom I talked about is the Kingdom that Christ will set up on the whole earth when He returns to earth and rules from Jerusalem for ever (Dan.2:35; Zech.14:16; Rev.11:15).

Ogom

Aug 22, 2020
ogom.co
How then can a regenerated person that commits a sin, be responsible for making himself whole again? Is it not by repenting of the sin, and God's forgiveness? Would this not be "working out your own salvation"? If so, then would not this be a different salvation than eternal salvation? Matt 19:25-26, The disciples as Jesus "who then can be saved (eternally)", and Jesus replied, "with men this is impossible".

Does this mean that in a timely sense, our obedience can save us, but not in an eternal sense?

not make whole again i would think. an ongoing process of overcoming and growing in Christ. which we take part in, must, or we are not followers of Christ. disciples of the true one - Yeshua.

2 Timothy 4

2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

2 Corinthians 3:18

King James Version

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Read full chapter
2 Corinthians 3:18 in all English translations