work stories

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Have you ever gone out with a workmate or liked a workmate.
Or got unwanted attention from a workmate (of opposite sex)

Did it work out? (at work, or out of work?)

Ever had to leave a job because of horrible workmate or a workmate who made you feel really uncomfortable? Did you report it? Or was it 'harmless'?

Or do you keep things totally professional. Even if they arent.

translation- workmate --colleague

time to confess, why do you go to work? For the job or the people. Or maybe you are not a people person and are just a job person. What about clients. Would you see them outside of work? Is there any such job where you dont ever see anyone at all?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I go there to make money. Dunno why else anybody would go there.

In fact I never go there to eat. If I'm at a McDonald's it's because a friend wanted to go there or because I'm getting paid to be there. It's never because I chose to go there just to grab a bite.

As for romance, that seems like a terrible place to find it. We're all there when we don't want to be there, doing things we don't want to do, but if we stop going and doing they stop giving us money. I don't want to date anybody I w*rk with. I don't want to think about anything connected to w*rk once I clock out. :p

Mar 4, 2020
All of the above.

I've dated people at work and it wasn't a problem. It just depends on who it is. Sometimes it depends on their proximity to you, like if you have to see them often or work on the same shift.

Nevermind the inevitable gossip that starts going around, people love to discuss other peoples' relationships. I prefer to keep that sort of business priviate for that reason because workplace drama and gossip is uncomfortable. Some people just have a rule in place to not date co-workers and that makes sense also.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
True but this happens in school as well, although I never went out with anyone at school who was a classmate (such a long time ago, seems like only yesterday) I mean regarding the gossip. I suppose if you really liked someone it wouldnt matter and you could just handle other people talking about it.

People get married have children and raise families, what do people expect that nobody notices?
I mean women cant hide their pregancies for sure. Although some can say well Im just feeling a little overweight.

But there are women that actually have to hide it and pretend they are not. How shameful is that why not just be honest. Or they hide their relationships. Im not convicned that any such relationship can really be 'private'

Workplaces are often not child friendly places.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
was talking to my workmate, whos girlfriend used to work my shifts. She left to go teaching and he hasnt found another job after graduating.
Boss says he didnt know they were already going out when he employed them. dang I wanted a vicarious bookshop romance story.

Or maybe not. It seems they are kinda not getting along now. Hes complaining she complains all the time. Maybe its because theyve moved in together.

sounds gossipy...but workplaces are kind of incestuous. Sometimes I feel like one of those agony aunts that people go to when theres a break up. I recall so many divorces and splits in one of my workplaces that I was getting depressed about it.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
I hear a lot about people meeting their significant other at work but it hasn't been my experience. Crushes have been unavoidable for me and if it's mutual the most it's led to is an exchange of phone numbers.

You know, that rule of not pooping where you eat? Well I do my best to follow it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I hear a lot about people meeting their significant other at work but it hasn't been my experience. Crushes have been unavoidable for me and if it's mutual the most it's led to is an exchange of phone numbers.

You know, that rule of not pooping where you eat? Well I do my best to follow it.
not reeally getting the pooping analogy.
If work is where you eat then what is where you poop..the toilet. Are significant others meant to be your toilet, if so, that is kinda gross, and doesnt put them in a good place.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
I've never been one to mix my job with getting involved with a co-worker. I came close once when I was around 18. I was a cook at this restaurant and there was a waitress who usually worked the same shift as me. We both obviously got along and there was some flirting. After about 3 months of this we were on break together and I asked her out. She said she'd wanted to date me but couldn't because her parents would freak out if she was dating a white guy. Now mind you back then and in my area of NY it wasn't common for black woman to be with white men. I don't know why fully but it was rare to see. It must be more acceptable now because I see quite a few couples these days where the woman is black and the male is white. I've never understood why skin color is a big deal to ppl when it's the character of a person that is important. Anyway.... I don't think it's a good idea to date a co-worker because I feel you are there to do your job not treat it like night club. I'm not saying it can't work but I think it would just be a distraction. Over the years I've enjoyed having some great co-workers and bosses that have made going to work each day a blessing. I don't think work and romance are good bedfellows.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
not reeally getting the pooping analogy.
If work is where you eat then what is where you poop..the toilet. Are significant others meant to be your toilet, if so, that is kinda gross, and doesnt put them in a good place.
Lol well the analogy is commonly used with a cuss word and I didn't want to use it. But it looks like you get the point; it's unsavory to be involved with coworkers. Work is a place we spend about a third of our day at and it's best not to possibly make it an unpleasant environment.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
so you wouldnt work in 'mom and pop' businesses just wondering?
Ive worked in them, one time an entire family worked together. Or workmate got a job for her boyfriend. But there wasnt any drama when I worked with them, because they were already together/involved

Its unavoidable to be not asked out at work though. But I do think its kinda harassment. When I was in my twenties and new to the workforce I thought people who asked you out were just being friendly and social. I soon realised that wasnt really the case.

The annoying thing is because you work together they already have your number and can find out where you live even if you didnt give it to them.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
so you wouldnt work in 'mom and pop' businesses just wondering?
Ive worked in them, one time an entire family worked together. Or workmate got a job for her boyfriend. But there wasnt any drama when I worked with them, because they were already together/involved

Its unavoidable to be not asked out at work though. But I do think its kinda harassment. When I was in my twenties and new to the workforce I thought people who asked you out were just being friendly and social. I soon realised that wasnt really the case.

The annoying thing is because you work together they already have your number and can find out where you live even if you didnt give it to them.
I'll work where ever the LORD wants me too. There's pros and cons to working in a small company vs large company.

I don't think asking someone out is harassment unless they know for a fact you're not interested or available. If they felt or thought that the feelings were mutual and I were single and open to dating but were wrong then I wouldn't hold it against them. However if they get a no and ask again I'd call that harassment. Work trainings say that if the other people feels uncomfortable it's harassment but what if the person asking doesn't know the other person is uncomfortable? Some people agree to avoid drama when they really want to decline.

I've never been asked out by a coworker. Some have suggested we get lunch but I don't count that. I've been asked out by an employee while I'm the customer.

Maybe I'm unsocial but I rarely exchange numbers with coworkers. I use email when I can. Do you exchange numbers within the first week?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
no most workplaces have a list of contacts for emergencies or you swap numbers if you need to swap shifts or something, but that is for work purposes not personal-call-whenever-you want things. But people abuse that.

its not even the asking out bit, cos you can always say no, its all the flirting stuff that goes on BEFORE someone asks you out...they might not even ask you out. They might just be constantly harassing you in other ways.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
no most workplaces have a list of contacts for emergencies or you swap numbers if you need to swap shifts or something, but that is for work purposes not personal-call-whenever-you want things. But people abuse that.

its not even the asking out bit, cos you can always say no, its all the flirting stuff that goes on BEFORE someone asks you out...they might not even ask you out. They might just be constantly harassing you in other ways.
Very good point Lanolin.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013

Lol my jobs must be less social because we only had to exchange contact info with our boss and had no shift changes.

Ohhh I see what you're saying. Okay yeah someone being sleazy, pestering, etc. is definitely harassment! It's even worse when everyone around you thinks it's funny or not that serious. Some may even think it's cute! I've never experienced it at work but in school.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Lol my jobs must be less social because we only had to exchange contact info with our boss and had no shift changes.

Ohhh I see what you're saying. Okay yeah someone being sleazy, pestering, etc. is definitely harassment! It's even worse when everyone around you thinks it's funny or not that serious. Some may even think it's cute! I've never experienced it at work but in school.
ha in my main job I work in a school. I just get pestered by children.
I tell them sorry but I need to go to the toilet.
Then they cant bother me.

One boy asked me if I was married today. I laughed. I am pretty sure he wasnt asking because cos he was thinking of marrying me, at least, I hope not. Girls tend to ask me if I have any children.

most of my co-workers are teachers and dont ask me stuff like that.

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
ha in my main job I work in a school. I just get pestered by children.
I tell them sorry but I need to go to the toilet.
Then they cant bother me.

One boy asked me if I was married today. I laughed. I am pretty sure he wasnt asking because cos he was thinking of marrying me, at least, I hope not. Girls tend to ask me if I have any children.

most of my co-workers are teachers and dont ask me stuff like that.
Awww that's cute. Yeah I think children are just curious. I thought teachers date sometimes but maybe that's a myth.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
dont know about the teachers really.
I read this one memoir about teaching where the Principal fell in love with one of the infant teachers and quit or both quit to get married. He called an assembly to announce it for the whole school.

It used to be a rule that teachers were not allowed to be married. I am not sure why....

One of the teachers was off for an entire term because her daughter was getting married, Maybe its because you need to take time off to plan a wedding. I dont know. I recall one of my primary teachers got married and changed her name but I dont recall any of us getting invites or doing anything for her wedding. I do recall that she was off for a length of time because she was sick (so we were told)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have been wondering about 'ma and pa' businesses lately.
I mean in the old days if you DID have a shop you had the shop downstairs and lived up the top.

some people work from home now have legit home businesses, or farms, so, is that better or is it just pooping where you eat.

I couldnt be a live in nanny though, I think thats way to risky and you hear of so many taking advantage of that, maybe not necessarily relationship wise but just expecting you to be at beck and call 24/7

Johari

Dec 24, 2013
Hmm work from home romance. See the gossip with secret recordings and screenshots.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
time to confess, why do you go to work?
I go to work to provide for my family. That is my only motivation. I work X amount of hours and my employer pays me X amount of dollars. I don't go to work to make friends and influence people.