Would Jesus drink Alcohol?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 20, 2022
here's a 1500's Version still saying [Not Given to Wine]

IRONICALLY, it's Called the BISHOP's Bible hahahahaha

Bishops' Bible of 1568
For a bishop must be blamelesse, as the stewarde of God: not stubborne, not angry, not geuen to wyne, no striker, not geuen to filthie lucre:

this was before the KJV Bible.

so this is for the Bishops and it tells them do not be GIVEN TO WINE!!

can't get any better than this other than Original Greek.

Jun 20, 2022
another 1500's Version [not given to Wine]

Geneva Bible of 1587
For a Bishop must bee vnreproueable, as Gods steward, not froward, not angrie, not giuen to wine, no striker, not giuen to filthie lucre,

Jun 20, 2022
here's a 1500's Version still saying [Not Given to Wine]

IRONICALLY, it's Called the BISHOP's Bible hahahahaha

Bishops' Bible of 1568
For a bishop must be blamelesse, as the stewarde of God: not stubborne, not angry, not geuen to wyne, no striker, not geuen to filthie lucre:

this was before the KJV Bible.

so this is for the Bishops and it tells them do not be GIVEN TO WINE!!

can't get any better than this other than Original Greek.
this is definitely the crown jewel and oldest Version of the English Bibles, and it is clear, Bishops, are not to be given to Wine.

Jun 20, 2022
What does the Bible mean when it says not given to wine?

The meaning is simple. An elder is not to be in the company of alcohol. It should not be his practice to be around, to linger, or to be consuming alcohol. This is certainly good advice for every Christian. The use of intoxicants indicates a severe lack of spiritual maturity.

^
copy/paste...not my words

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
What does the Bible mean when it says not given to wine?

The meaning is simple. An elder is not to be in the company of alcohol. It should not be his practice to be around, to linger, or to be consuming alcohol. This is certainly good advice for every Christian. The use of intoxicants indicates a severe lack of spiritual maturity.

^
copy/paste...not my words
Please provide the source.

The writer’s bias is plain. The conclusion doesn’t follow the evidence, but is clearly a personal interpretation.

achduke7

Oct 3, 2023
i like how in the Original Greek, Verse 19 ends with:
And yet Wisdom is justified by her works.

then in Luke, Verse 35 follows Verse 34:
35 And yet wisdom is justified on the part of all her children.

so, what is the Wisdom by what Jesus is saying here?

what the People are saying about Him is Wrong?

i can sit at a bar and never drink.
but, i suppose people around looking, think i do.
to them, i must be someone who drinks.
but, what does WISDOM, say about it?
Proverbs 8.

I think Christ did drink alcohol but not to the point of being drunk or out of mind. Anything can be over used but the Holy Spirit shows us the proper way. Those that eat less of a caloric intake normally live longer then people that over eat.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
1Co 3:16-17
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

We are the temple of God, we are told not to defile it.

Alcohol is toxic, it is unhealthy, it defile us.

Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Proverbs 8.

I think Christ did drink alcohol but not to the point of being drunk or out of mind. Anything can be over used but the Holy Spirit shows us the proper way. Those that eat less of a caloric intake normally live longer then people that over eat.
Did Christ defile Himself,? was Christ unwise, ? All examples of alcoholic wine consumption in the bible resulted in stupid choices.

My saviour was wise, why would He even think of clouding His mind with alcohol?

He wouldn't even drink it at His death as a pain relief..

achduke7

Oct 3, 2023
Did Christ defile Himself,? was Christ unwise, ? All examples of alcoholic wine consumption in the bible resulted in stupid choices.

My saviour was wise, why would He even think of clouding His mind with alcohol?

Why would sipping alcohol defile him if he is not drunk? Why do you think everyone that drinks is making an unwise choice? Have you ever sipped a drink of alcohol without getting drunk or clouding your mind?

Jun 20, 2022
Please provide the source.

The writer’s bias is plain. The conclusion doesn’t follow the evidence, but is clearly a personal interpretation.
i googled it:

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
The meaning is simple. An elder is not to be in the company of alcohol. It should not be his practice to be around, to linger, or to be consuming alcohol. This is certainly good advice for every Christian. The use of intoxicants indicates a severe lack of spiritual maturity .Jul 27, 2021
Not Given to Wine - Sound Teaching

from this guy:
Author: Stan Cox
Minister, West Side church of Christ since August of 1989 ........ Editor of Watchman Magazine (1999-2018 Archives available online @ http://watchmanmag.com) ........ Writer, The Patternists: https://www.facebook.com/ThePatternists

Jun 20, 2022
Proverbs 8.

I firmly believe, as a Jew, Jesus, fulfilled all of the Ceremonies like Passover, Pentecost, Harvest Celebrations, etc...
most of them, they do serve Fermented Wine.

how much He drank, probably amounts to what they drink today.

about less than a shot glass worth.

basically communion in the tiny thumb like plastic cup

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Alcohol is toxic, it is unhealthy, it defile us.
Not if one drinks responsibly.

Pro_31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
False. He did drink it.

Joh 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

goga

Nov 25, 2023
Why is it important if Jesus did this or that? He could do anything he wanted to as a man, yet he had a mission to accomplish, I don't think he had time for anything we are trying to justify and that is unnecessary and often harmful in our lives. If anyone wants to drink, drink, but do not try to cover it up as "Jesus did it, so I can" to justify a behavior. Jesus was on another level from anything we are, and to drug his name down to our fleshly desires is an insult.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Why is it important if Jesus did this or that? He could do anything he wanted to as a man, yet he had a mission to accomplish, I don't think he had time for anything we are trying to justify and that is unnecessary and often harmful in our lives. If anyone wants to drink, drink, but do not try to cover it up as "Jesus did it, so I can" to justify a behavior. Jesus was on another level from anything we are, and to drug his name down to our fleshly desires is an insult.
yep!

100%

MichaelZ

Jun 11, 2023
I did a little research on this. According to scholars researching this, the wine of that day was diluted 2 to 1 and was a little more than half the strength of beer. So an adult could drink a large glass of it without much intoxication. But, if one wanted to drink a half gallon, they could get a bit drunk. Undiluted wine was considered barbaric and I would guess highly frowned upon by the Jews. They did not have a lot of beverage choices and the wine, unlike fruit juice, would keep unrefrigerated. So I do believe the diluted wine was commonly consumed. The miracle of the wine states that the guests believed they saved the best wine for last and it was unusual since usually the lesser wine was served last when people had a bit to drink. OK, I am not justifying drunkenness here, just stating what I believe are the facts.

Clearly, drunkenness is not allowable for the Christian. Moderation with many exceptions is OK, but there are a lot of factors. In my opinion, we should not risk tempting the weaker brother (or family member) by serving alcohol to others, in the event that one may have a weakness with moderation (as I have seen happen). I believe that if a Christian has children at home with him, abstinence is the best policy as they are the weaker brother and very impressionable. Also one should not give the appearance of impropriety by drinking in public. If our wine was as weak as that drunk in the times of Jesus, perhaps it would be easier, but it is not. And hard liquor that we have now that intoxicates so quickly was not even widely developed until the 13th century.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
see, how you chosen to use the Amplified, rather than the Original Greek:

τακτα · δει γαρ τον
επιϲκοπον ανεγ
κλητον ειναι ωϲ
θυ
οικονομον
μη αυθαδη
μη οργιλον
μη παροινον
μη πληκτην
μη αιϲχροκερδη

7 For the bishop must be blameless as the steward of God, not self-willed, not soon angry, not fond of wine, no striker, not eager after base gain,

the real question is, what does [[not fond of wine]] mean?

it means they don't like Wine, so, they Don't DRINK wine.

you don't drink something you are not fond of.
I don't study Greek. I am reasonably sure that people smarter and better educated than me have translated the Bible as best they can. If I'm unsure, I read many different versions. That way I get a good idea of the meaning.

People do all kinds of things for different reasons. "Not eager for base gain" does not mean that they won't touch money. I rarely drink these days as I am on medications that may clash. I enjoy the freedom to drink or not and, by the grace of God, I have self control so I don't go overboard. My first church after I was saved was Baptist. They have the same attitude as you do. I did my own research andd came to my own conclusions. I disagreed. I've not had reason to change my view in the last 50 years.

I don't know why you bother with such a trivial issue. There are far greater issues that need to be addressed.

Jun 20, 2022
I don't study Greek. I am reasonably sure that people smarter and better educated than me have translated the Bible as best they can. If I'm unsure, I read many different versions. That way I get a good idea of the meaning.

People do all kinds of things for different reasons. "Not eager for base gain" does not mean that they won't touch money. I rarely drink these days as I am on medications that may clash. I enjoy the freedom to drink or not and, by the grace of God, I have self control so I don't go overboard. My first church after I was saved was Baptist. They have the same attitude as you do. I did my own research andd came to my own conclusions. I disagreed. I've not had reason to change my view in the last 50 years.

I don't know why you bother with such a trivial issue. There are far greater issues that need to be addressed.
Agreed, these types of issues are trivial, but it is still about the Holy Word of God.

And you would be surprised what I have actually gleaned by doing what I do.

We all read our Bible, but, there's times I will be quoted and a Verse will be included that I had completely forgotten about and it gives me new perspective and something to research.

I approach this like a Science Project. You present your side and wait for responses that you then take and research.

This has nothing to do with what is the score on the board state. It's all about me applying more knowledge and understanding gaining wisdom.

I absolutely respect the process because it has deemed profitable.

The more of God's Holy Word and Understanding that becomes Wisdom only makes me realize a complete view of God.

It's 100% beneficial...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Jesus wasnt a Nazarene unlike John the Baptist - the Nazarenes did not drink any alcohol and had made a vow not to, I believe.

However I dont believe Jesus made a habit of drinking unlike many people do today who like the taste of wine/alcohol and have it everyday.

I think the isue was how much if it was alcoholic and strong. Probably very little, as it generally makes people ill and vomit or at least have a hangover. Most people who drink too much get light headed and lose their senses a bit, and often dont remember anything theyve said or done after.

Jesus was aware of this mostly and had self-control or as said in some Bibles TEMPERENCE which is actually a fruit of the Holy Spirit. And you can actually get drunk on the Holy Spirit, not any other unclean spirit.