Would The Story of Your Life Be a Best-Seller?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi everyone,

I seem to have come across a lot of articles lately heralding forthcoming books that will supposedly detail the lives of well-known people. In every telling or re-telling of the story, there is always the promise of some big reveal -- the real scoop" and all the "insider secrets" -- that supposedly everyone is dying to know.

This got me thinking about what would happen if I, or someone else, wrote a book about my life.

I'm guessing it would be about 3 pages, including the introduction and commentary at the end. :)

But seriously, I started thinking about the things I've written about from my own personal perspective on CC, and how differently the stories would sound if the other people involved were the ones to write the story instead.

If you or someone else wrote a book about your life, do you think it would it be a best-seller?

Other questions to ponder:

* Would you prefer that you write the story of your life, or would you trust another person to do so? If someone wrote a book about you after your passing, do you think you would approve?

* What aspects of your life would you be willing to share, and what do you wish people would respect enough to keep private? (No need to actually spill the tea here on any details -- you can just say, "I'd prefer that my private life be kept private", etc.)

* Would you want your book to be illustrated? If so, what kinds of pictures would you want included -- pictures of yourself, family, friends, pets, interests?

* What would be the purpose of having a book written about your life? Venting? Inspiring others? To let people know that they're not alone in their struggles?

I'm interested in hearing how you'd feel about revealing yourself -- or having someone else reveal you -- to the world. :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
My story would be boring. But I prefer comfort and peace over adventure, so boring suits me fine.

if anybody wants to make a book about me after I'm gone, feel free. It won't sell, but you can make one if you want. Even put lies in it if you want, I won't care.

Here lies the body of old Sam Jones
Resting beneath these polished stones
His name was Jason instead of Jones
But Jason won't rhyme with polished stones
And he won't know if it's Jason or Jones

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
My book would be boring with a side of cheesy jokes and random facts about serial killers. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
My book would be boring with a side of cheesy jokes and random facts about serial killers. :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
TV's behind the rush into
Forensic criminology
Or so claims meta academic
Epidemiology

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
I dont think mine would be very long or interesting. A little baking, a little red cross midnight calls, the tales of a care aid.... how I've struggled to lose weight for stinking ever.... lol Oh..surviving a cultlike situation. . Maybe it would interest a few people.

Sorry Im all over the place here.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Oh..surviving a cultlike situation. . Maybe it would interest a few.
So I'm guessing you wouldn't give my Circle of Friendship and Highly Structured Living very good reviews on Yelp... :cautious::censored::cry:

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Mine would be completely wordless picture books of things that i did, saw, and my perspective of things.
I always hated reading long-winded biography's, or having to explain things in great detail with a whole bunch of words, so my books would be tailored for someone like me who doesn't want to read much.
I don't think it would be a big seller. It would be just an obscure book you might find at the bottom of a bargain bin in a thrift shop.
There would be no real purpose behind the books, but they would be interesting to look at the least because its all pictures and no text.
I think it would be interesting to have a picture book to where the reader/viewer can come to their own conclusion based on what i have showed them.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
It would be a drag because I couldn't talk about being a CIA Operative.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Nah. I'd sell it for 0.99 on Kindle and have a handful fanatical followers, but it wouldn't be a best-seller. :ROFL:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Mine would be completely wordless picture books of things that i did, saw, and my perspective of things.
I always hated reading long-winded biography's, or having to explain things in great detail with a whole bunch of words, so my books would be tailored for someone like me who doesn't want to read much.
I don't think it would be a big seller. It would be just an obscure book you might find at the bottom of a bargain bin in a thrift shop.
There would be no real purpose behind the books, but they would be interesting to look at the least because its all pictures and no text.
I think it would be interesting to have a picture book to where the reader/viewer can come to their own conclusion based on what i have showed them.
This would be totally cool, G00WZ.

I mean, tons of people have biographies written about them, but how many people can say their life story was turned into a graphic novel?

I would definitely give it an, er... I guess not a read... but how about a look. :)

It would be a drag because I couldn't talk about being a CIA Operative.
"The First Rule About The CIA, Is That You Can't Talk About The CIA..."

Uh... Sorry. Wrong story -- totally my bad.

But it sounds like it would be VERY interesting -- if only it could be talked about!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Mine wouldn't be a best seller in the bargain bins. 😂
I'd probably have to pay to publish it myself. Literally no one would care at all. I wouldn't even buy it.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
I don't know if the time in prison, or the years in the Nut House would be the more interesting.

Oct 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

I seem to have come across a lot of articles lately heralding forthcoming books that will supposedly detail the lives of well-known people. In every telling or re-telling of the story, there is always the promise of some big reveal -- the real scoop" and all the "insider secrets" -- that supposedly everyone is dying to know.

This got me thinking about what would happen if I, or someone else, wrote a book about my life.

I'm guessing it would be about 3 pages, including the introduction and commentary at the end. :)

But seriously, I started thinking about the things I've written about from my own personal perspective on CC, and how differently the stories would sound if the other people involved were the ones to write the story instead.

If you or someone else wrote a book about your life, do you think it would it be a best-seller?

Other questions to ponder:

* Would you prefer that you write the story of your life, or would you trust another person to do so? If someone wrote a book about you after your passing, do you think you would approve?

* What aspects of your life would you be willing to share, and what do you wish people would respect enough to keep private? (No need to actually spill the tea here on any details -- you can just say, "I'd prefer that my private life be kept private", etc.)

* Would you want your book to be illustrated? If so, what kinds of pictures would you want included -- pictures of yourself, family, friends, pets, interests?

* What would be the purpose of having a book written about your life? Venting? Inspiring others? To let people know that they're not alone in their struggles?

I'm interested in hearing how you'd feel about revealing yourself -- or having someone else reveal you -- to the world. :)
Maybe or maybe not a best seller?!?!
But definitely a humdinger!

Alot about Jesus, cop's, and jail time!!?

Nice thread, makes for a lot to think about and a good chuckle!!

S

Susanna

I wouldn’t know what to write about.

Maybe I could put down a few words in writing about being a woman in the navy, but then again, there’s a h*** of a lot of women in the navy these days, so that’s kind of a dime a dozen thing...oh well...

Or maybe I could write about the first time I was in a shoot out and my boss just told me to ‘get used to it’ for a debrief lol.

Nah, happens way too often worldwide to be of any interest.

Or I could write about my first trip to a Muslim country? Nah, boring.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Ok, now it's making me a bit sad that you're all saying that no one would be interested in your life stories, because it sounds like everyone here has some pretty fascinating stories to tell.

The inspirations for this thread includes an interview I read about Demi Moore's new autobiography (in which she supposedly spills the dirt on her famous ex-husbands, Bruce Willis and Ashton Kutcher), and a book by the singer Whitney Houston's supposed best friend/girlfriend, who is supposedly "setting the record straight" about their "relationship."

Seriously, y'all.

I would be MUCH, MUCH more interested in reading books about YOUR lives than all of these people.

No offense to them, but you all just sound like you'd have stories that I would find to be a lot more relatable (yes, even the part about prisons), and a whole lot more inspiring.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
My life probably isn't interesting enough to be a best seller, but I think my mom has years worth of copies of my missionary newsletters, maybe that should just be published as a book. Probably better as part of an anthology though. But I do rather like not having lots of people up in my business and questioning me so I'd be less than enthusiastic about anything being published before I'm dead.

Ghoti2

Nov 8, 2019
Ok, now it's making me a bit sad that you're all saying that no one would be interested in your life stories, because it sounds like everyone here has some pretty fascinating stories to tell.

The inspirations for this thread includes an interview I read about Demi Moore's new autobiography (in which she supposedly spills the dirt on her famous ex-husbands, Bruce Willis and Ashton Kutcher), and a book by the singer Whitney Houston's supposed best friend/girlfriend, who is supposedly "setting the record straight" about their "relationship."

Seriously, y'all.

I would be MUCH, MUCH more interested in reading books about YOUR lives than all of these people.

No offense to them, but you all just sound like you'd have stories that I would find to be a lot more relatable (yes, even the part about prisons), and a whole lot more inspiring.
Maybe. But, I can't make myself talk about those days... let alone, write about it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Maybe. But, I can't make myself talk about those days... let alone, write about it.
Perfectly understandable.

It makes me think about how, when people go through unspeakable things, some come to terms with it... by speaking, and for others, silence is the most comfortable route.

Everyone is different, and I'm always intrigued by the fact that both methods can be equally inspiring to different kinds of people.

M

morefaithrequired

The question is are my sins that interesting?
Ive got a few pearlers. I think what might keep the reader interested is the level of hypocrisy.." oh we thought mfr was such a nice guy" ....." now that is a surprise! I never even guessed he could possibly do that...and from such a good family!"

Feb 28, 2016
saying this in all humility', mostly for those who have a personal idea of who we 'really are' =
our Book will give all credits to our Heavenly Father, and will be 'The Number One Hit of the Century',
when it is time for revealing !!!