Would you be willing to substitute your salvation for someone elses?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Wow. I am amazed at how lightly you invoke the name of our lord and saviour...

I was not trying to provoke you into saying anything. I was just suggesting that you might have misinterpreted the actions of still_waters. I was only trying to mediate and help you, but you seem more interested in being at odds with people than in getting along.

Sad.


Originally Posted by Rogue
Doesn't. You're saying salvation *doesn't* mean anything to you. And I believe that is a very poor judgment.

if saying that someone has VERY POOR judgement is your way of trying to get along, and you say that i am more interested in being at odds, is your way of being nice then maybe I am not the only meanie in here.
 
if saying that someone has VERY POOR judgement is your way of trying to get along, and you say that i am more interested in being at odds, is your way of being nice then maybe I am not the only meanie in here.

1) I didn't say you have poor judgment, I said you made a poor judgment. There's a difference there. Saying you have poor judgment means you rarely if ever make good decisions. Saying you made a poor judgment is simply saying that you made a mistake. You're human, you make those, as do I :)

2) I said you seem to be more interested in being at odds with people rather than getting along because all I've seen from you thus far is rash, haughty, abrasive statements. This one is no exception. If you have a problem with me seeing you as someone who would rather be at odds with people than get along with them, you might want to change how you talk to people.

And before you call me satan again and invoke the name of our lord lightly, I've said the above to help you, not to hurt you :)
 
Thaddaeus

Your responses to threads I have started have been far less than useful. Nothing you have ever posted in my threads has been helpful.

Please don't respond to threads that I start from now on.

Thanks.
 
Anyway, back to the topic........


I think, if someone were willing to give up their place in heaven for another person or even 50,000 people, wouldn't that person be loving that person/people more than they love God?
 
I think, if someone were willing to give up their place in heaven for another person or even 50,000 people, wouldn't that person be loving that person/people more than they love God?

It's certainly possible, but not necessarily true in every case. It's also possible for a person to love God far more than anything and still be willing to give up their salvation for others.
 
It's certainly possible, but not necessarily true in every case. It's also possible for a person to love God far more than anything and still be willing to give up their salvation for others.

How? .
 
What did the apostle Paul say? that if it where possible?

Are you sure that's what Paul was talking about when he said he would be willing to be accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of the Israelites? Could he not have been talking about just temporarily in this life time?
 
Tough question but this is an ultimate challenge of our love and willingness to sacrifice for the sake of God. But i believe that even if i say Yes, God would still save me due to his unfailing love.:)
 
I'm going to be one hundred percent honest here and say no. My whole meaning of life right now is that I get to serve my God and spend eternity with Him. I don't think there is anything that would make me want to give that up.

I am glad you have said that. I would not give my eternity in Heaven up for soimeone else either. I find it hard to believe many would(if any) I will never be where the Apostle Paul was. To give your life on earth up, that is completely different. I hope I would be prepared to do that.
 
Jesus knew he would not stay iin hell, so yes I would die and go to hell for orthers only if I would not have to stay there, and not go to the fire part, but the part Jesus went to and where Abraham, and the prophets were. and leave out and go be with God for all etenity. well I guess thats not what you were actually asking, but that is all I will be willing to do.... and maybe burn for just one day.... only one lol... not a second more. and then a thousand souls will be able to receive forgivness at the gate. yep I would do that. But never ever will I want to not be with the Lord our God. I know how aweful it is without the Lord here on earth. and one second is just as bad as a thousand years without him with me.
 
The thing is, it is a hypothetical question we have to remember that.... we can't exchange places with others in regards to salvation.

Paul was showing a loving concern an aching concern for his fellow men. Paul knew that he could not swap places.


In essence this is a 'no brainer' debate it just can't happen.
Phil
 
Last edited:
In laying our life down for others the only thing that we lose is our self life. The life that we have laid down is the life that has come from God that reveals our death through the cross of Christ. We lay it down by taking up our cross. The Holy Spirit does many things on our behalf but can never take up our cross for us. We have to do that on our own so that God can work death in us. The question posed in the OP is a sincere one that comes from human viewpoint that can never be fulfilled by God because of His justice. There was only one Lamb that substituted and offered Himself without spot to God and from Him we have life through His death, burial and resurrection. He laid His life down that we might have life and we lay our life down through His death that others might have life through Him. God's justice will only recognize His sacrifice as substitutionary for sinful man. We were born in sin without the life of God but received God life through His Son which can never be forfeited for another. God can only increase and bear His fruit through a laid down life that takes up their cross and follows Christ.
 
The thing is, it is a hypothetical question we have to remember that.... we can't exchange places with others in regards to salvation.

Paul was showing a loving concern an aching concern for his fellow men. Paul knew that he could not swap places.


In essence this is a 'no brainer' debate it just can't happen.
Phil

No brainer?

If you cannot love someone enough to lay down your eternal life for them, that they might know God, then how can you fulfill the commandment of Jesus?

The question should bring about in us a searching to see if we have the love of God as our love.
 
I think the problem with this question is that it inherently invokes insecurity in people. The full intention of God was that all humans would exist in the full security of His Love. We were created with a need for this security to live fruitful and prosperous lives here and in heaven. Does God want us to be willing to lay down our Earthly lives for the sake of another? Yes, definitely! But I am not so sure that He wants us to be pondering a question that seems to undermine someone's faith for a question that God isn't asking. Especially if their answer to the question is not yes.

Quite honestly I don't see a beneficial point to this question. I am not saying that I don't value you Sharp, just that I would be curious as to the reason for this post. Please don't take this as an attack. I just want to know where you are coming from.

Much Love,

Matthew
 
My hat off to anyone who is capable of even considering such a thing.

Even if the salvation of every person in the world would depend on that, how could anyone be willing to take on an eternity of tortures? It goes beyond my mind.
 
No brainer?

If you cannot love someone enough to lay down your eternal life for them, that they might know God, then how can you fulfill the commandment of Jesus?

The question should bring about in us a searching to see if we have the love of God as our love.


You obviously have not read my other posts..

And yes VW, this is a
'no brainer' question because it cannot happen? do you get the point..it cannot happen!!!!!

Anyhow just go back a few steps and read my other posts on the subject and you will have a more balanced view of what I am saying.. thank you.

I would certainly die for love.. but as for swapping my salvation...IT IS A >NO BRAINER< IT JUST WONT HAPPEN EVEN PAUL NEW THAT.

In Love

Phil
 
I have another interesting question.

Instead of you being in heaven forever and your loved one burning in hell forever, would you be willing to stay 100 years in hell, so your loved one could stay 100 years in heaven? Then swap places for 100 years again and so on for all eternity.. you'll be in hell 100 years while he's in heaven, then he'll be in hell again for a 100 years, while you'll be in heaven?
 
Anyway, back to the topic........


I think, if someone were willing to give up their place in heaven for another person or even 50,000 people, wouldn't that person be loving that person/people more than they love God?

The way I see it...

God provided a way for man to reconcile with Him; Jesus Christ. Now "if" we were able to exchange that salvation so that someone else could be saved, wouldn't that make us equal to Christ in that we could now provide salvation for another?

Just a thought.

In Christ,
John